KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Character Respect Forum » Emperor Palpatine, alias Darth Sidious

Emperor Palpatine, alias Darth Sidious
Started by: Snafu the Great

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

Emperor Palpatine, alias Darth Sidious

My first Star Wars Respect thread. Awesome.

And who better to show props in the Star War Universe than Vader's boss?

Palpatine's Bio

Home Planet: Naboo
Full Name: some sources say that his full name is Dantilus Palpatine
Date of Birth: 82 BBY
Height: 1.73 meters
Weight: Unknown
Hair: Red, later gray, then white
Eyes: Blue, Yellow in Dark Side mode
Trained By: Darth Plagueis
Occupation: Naboo Senator (Ep1), Chancellor (Ep2-Ep3), Galactic Emperor (Ep.3-Ep6), Dark Lord of the Sith (all movies)

The following is taken from Palpatine's article from the Badass of the Week Site:

The Emperor is essentially the personification of evil. He's not only a tyrannical dictator who holds the majority of the civilized galaxy in his wrinkled old man grip but he's also a Grandmaster of the Dark Side of the Force and Darth Vader's ****ing boss. Shit, I mean it's one thing that he seized power and overthrew a centuries-old republic, installing himself as supreme ruler of the universe, but throw in the fact that one of the most badass mother****ers to ever live is completely and unquestioningly at his disposal and you've got a recipe for total badassery. Vader, Solo and The Emperor basically form the Holy Trinity of Star Wars Badassitude.

Oh yeah, and he shoots mother****ing lightning bolts out of his hands (!!) and probably even taught Vader that awesome Force Choke maneuver where you can crush peoples' tracheas just by looking at them menacingly and pointing. And while I generally discount the prequel trilogy as fan fiction and not actual canon, I have to admit that it was nice to see the ****ing Über Dark Lord of the Sith totally whip the ass of CG Yoda and leave him for dead. And I'll bet you didn't think any Jedis could be more badass than Yoda. This is because you don't understand the true power of the Dark Side.

The Emperor also looks like the new Pope. It's the ultimate duality of man.

More than just being an unstoppable badass who was only defeated by being completely ****ing jobbed to death by his own sidekick at the exact moment of his ultimate triumph, he's also a master manipulator and a diabolical power-hungry madman. The actor that played him in all five films he appears in (Ian McDiarmid) said that when he portrayed The Emperor, he was doing his best to channel Iago from Shakespeare's Othello:

"Everything he does is an act of pure hypocrisy, and that's interesting to play. I suppose it's rather like playing Iago. All the characters in the play - including Othello until the end - think that 'Honest Iago' is a decent guy doing his job, and he's quite liked. But at the same time there's a tremendous evil subconscious in operation. There's a moment in one scene of the new films where tears almost appear in his eye. These are crocodile tears, but for all those in the movie, and perhaps watching the movie itself, they'll see he is apparently moved - and of course, he is. He can just do it. He can, as it were, turn it on. And I suppose for him, it's also a bit of a turnon; the pure exercise of power is what he's all about. That's the only thing he's interested in and the only thing that can satisfy him, which makes him completely fascinating to play, because it is an evil soul. He is more evil than the devil. At least Satan fell; he has a history, and it's one of revenge."

Sure Bill Shakespeare might be turning in his grave at the knowledge that one of his characters has translated to a science fiction super-villian who builds space stations capable of destroying entire planets and kicks Ewoks, but if he didn't come to life as a zombie and start eating people's brains after Romeo + Juliet was released then he's probably going to be cool with this, especially considering that The Emperor has some of the best lines in all six films because he's such a sarcastic evil bastard.

In short, the Emperor kicks ass. Think back to the worst, most evil boss you've ever had at any job and then multiply that by infinity and that's what he's like. Because while it certainly takes a special kind of megalomaniac ******* to be a workaholic slave-driving retail store manager it takes the all-powerful living embodiment of pure evil to be able to order Darth Vader around without fear of being chopped in half or choked to death.

Chuck Norris learned his trademark move, along with his sense of duty and justice, from Jesus after watching Him roundhouse kick a money changer out of the temple.

Last edited by Snafu the Great on Dec 13th, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2009 10:51 PM
Snafu the Great is currently offline Click here to Send Snafu the Great a Private Message Find more posts by Snafu the Great Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Old Post Dec 13th, 2009 10:55 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2009 11:19 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote