KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » 2010 The Year DVD Dies?

Blur-Ray
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yep! Pack your bags DVD it's ending. 4 18.18%
Nah! Nothing will change. 14 63.64%
Both will have good sales. 3 13.64%
Pffft! Walmart sells cheap dvd players for $30 and DVD for $5. 1 4.55%
Total: 22 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

2010 The Year DVD Dies?
Started by: WickedDynamite

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Question 2010 The Year DVD Dies?

Well, I been objective and keeping away from Blu-ray simply because I'm happy with DVD. However, this year the tide is changing. With cheaper Blu-ray players and the lower PS3 prices, will Blu-ray finally put an end to DVD like it did with HD DVD?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1839...urays_year.html

Old Post Dec 21st, 2009 10:15 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nope, DVD will be going for a long time yet. It's hardly the same as HD, that was in a battle with Blu Ray for the next film viewing experience and lost out. So far all the shops near me only have a little section for blu ray. The majority of space is taken up with DVDs.

And offline, still bloody well expensive for most releases. Australia was £33 in HMV today...

Old Post Dec 21st, 2009 11:03 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

DVD's won't be 'dead' for another 10 years or so.

Bluray is still new and scary for a lot of people. Plus there's still many people who don't have HD TV's.

Though I do think 2010 will be the year where Bluray becomes more mainstream. I know for Christmas we're going to be getting a Bluray player finally. I imagine it will be the same for many people because of the falling prices of the players.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2009 01:33 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Dvd will be around for another five years i like both formats. I still need to get a HD tv

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2009 11:56 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

And besides you can keep most of the dvds since not every single title has'nt been brought out on Blu-Ray

as for the players just get one that does both.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2009 12:13 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire

Bluray is still new and scary for a lot of people. Plus there's still many people who don't have HD TV's.

Though I do think 2010 will be the year where Bluray becomes more mainstream. I know for Christmas we're going to be getting a Bluray player finally. I imagine it will be the same for many people because of the falling prices of the players.

Hey man! Congrats!

Looking forward to reading your reviews.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2009 03:32 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by BackFire

Though I do think 2010 will be the year where Bluray becomes more mainstream.

thumb up

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2009 06:10 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
as for the players just get one that does both.

I believe ALL blu ray players play both dvds and blu ray anyway. Also most now can be hacked to play multi region dvd, and other region blu ray discs. I have a blu ray player that can play any disc, dvd or blu ray. Recommend because Blu rays are quite cheap from America compared to here.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2009 10:45 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

my blockbuster says that they're expecting to have at least half the store dedicated to bluray by the end of next year, which tbh shocked me.

i hope dvd lasts a while, though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 02:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

This is pretty much a no-no topic here on KMC (so I will not dwell deep into this type of discussion) but lately the bootlegers for new and upcoming release movies are pretty much helping dvd...the price and quality have improve.

However, I will not discuss it any further. Thank you

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 06:28 PM
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

The quality difference between Blue-ray and DVD is not great enough to justify me spending 24.99 on Star-trek blue-ray and 6.99 on dvd.

Hell no.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 07:44 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Where on earth do you shop that sells the blu ray for £25... I got the 3 disc blu ray for £16.

quote:
the bootlegers for new and upcoming release movies are pretty much helping dvd...the price and quality have improve.

How do pirate films help official dvds?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 11:07 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by MildPossession
Where on earth do you shop that sells the blu ray for £25... I got the 3 disc blu ray for £16.

They help the sales of blank DVDs.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 06:42 PM
coolmovies

Blu ray disks are cheaper online

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 08:15 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

Originally posted by MildPossession

He's probably talking in dollars. 16 pounds would be around 25 dollars, I think.

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Dec 26th, 2009 03:12 AM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Back in 1997 dvds where £17 each in 2007 they cost £3 each same thing will happen to blu ray .

The only thing is you will have to wait ten years big grin

Old Post Dec 26th, 2009 10:49 AM
BackFire

You can get blurays at a decent price if you get them the week they're released. Lot of stores do sales the first week to try and move as many copies as possible.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2009 09:45 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Back when DVDs came out, the quality of picture was extremely noticeabley better compared to VHS. Blu-ray is much better than DVD, of course. However, the coparison isn't as profound as DVD to VHS, so I think DVD will be the staple for a long long time.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2009 10:11 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I agree. VHS to DVD was mindblowing. DVD to bluray is just very good.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2009 05:45 AM
FistOfThe North

I don't know about 2010. DVD's are still raking in hundreds of millions of dollars to a couple billion in annual sales globally. But that's down from many multiple billions about a half decade ago.

the grave of the digital video discs will more likely have : "Heres lies DVD: 1997-2020" written on it's tombstone. and if any medium will still be on a cd type of disc. virtual/holographic media discs are next. they hold like 1 terabyte of space and are supose to blow the blu ray concept out of the water.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 29th, 2009 03:11 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote