KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Batdude and Kahn's Match #1: Kris Blaze/KM vs. psycho gundam/Charlotte DeBel

Batdude and Kahn's Match #1: Kris Blaze/KM vs. psycho gundam/Charlotte DeBel
Started by: batdude123

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-K-M-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheKahn
I was a little disappointed with Blaze/KM's initial strategy.

Yeah not suprized, as keep in mind we didn't even know what we could do in the initial post.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 03:18 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Originally posted by TheKahn
Sadly, much of their plan involved a tactic that was judged to be illegal or else they'd have a higher score here.
wink still waiting on that reasonable explanation posted in my pm box......

stick out tongue

mad

Old Post Jan 6th, 2010 03:01 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

grargh, i gotta judge, huh? I want to give this the respect it deserves, so Thursday. Wednesday I'm too busy. hopefully that doesn't inconvenience anyone.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2010 04:20 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I'll have my decision posted after work.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Jan 6th, 2010 03:29 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Delph's Vote

After reading through the battle a few times I found some key issues with both plans. Once the exchange over capabilities began it seemed like an attention to detail was completely tossed out the window by both teams. For starters, taking both plans into account, both teams came to the battlefield magically and technologically cloaked and shielded. Neither team would be able to pinpoint the other instantaneously or effect a quick strike attack, but that became the basis of argument. Moreover, a spell is cast by Mungi that keeps both teams grounded, and Beta Ray Bill has unleashed a supernatural deluge and storm (which was never rescinded) that will flood the planet. This was at the onset of battle and never accounted for in practically any of the subsequent posts and tactics. Due to this point and oversight I have to give low marks to both sides in effectiveness and debating. Debating isn't just about making points, it's also about making sense and not tripping over your previous comments in subsequent posts.

Next issue is the "my magician is more powerful than yours" stalemate. Comparing feats is in of itself futile because neither character has a common reference point. Saying "my character takes down elder gods" while the other says "well my character defended against a powerful demon" isn't going to settle anything. Similar situation with the level of evolution of Captain Comet vs. Harvey. Far too many strawmen met their fate in these exchanges, and too many scans were taken out of their context, and nothing was really resolved.

Then lightning struck (and this pun is intended):

Kris presented a tactic which actually seemed somewhat viable.

He claimed that Stormbreaker could absorb the energy and magic of the oppositions shielding and presented proof which was never refuted. I didn't buy the ploy that since Odin created Stormbreaker to give it's bearer the abilities of Thor that Bill would do everything Thor would. I'd need feats to follow that line of logic, and frankly the hammer apparently "speaking" to Bill (stated by Bill during narration) and giving him info on Earth, Thor, and Odin's experiences with Galactus doesn't in my opinion mean that the hammer would bestow all of Thor's instincts, experiences, and battle tactics into Bill. At this juncture in the battle it's not really necessary. Given the battle tactics presented and the feasibility thereof, in my opinion, the use of Stormbreaker's energy absorption abilities proved to be the trump card that swayed the battle in KM/Kris's favor, and I give them the victory.

As for the point system allotments:

Originality:
Charlotte/Gundam 1/5
Mungi/Kris 1/5

Coming into battle shielded/cloaked and blasting from behind said shielding is so 2004. Step ya'll game up.

Effectiveness:
Charlotte/Gundam 2/5
Mungi/Kris 3/5

IMO, both teams spent too much time in circular arguments, and hedged their bets on obvious plans. Luckily Kris pulled a trump card in the end to sway things in their favor, but it started out lackluster (and flooded).

Debating Skills:
Charlotte/Gundam 6/10
Mungi/Kris 8/10

Mungi is always supremely organized. I always enjoy reading his posts. It makes his lines of logic easy to follow. Kris helped by staying on message and not taking away from the established plan. I was surprised at the lack of attention to detail though. Particularly in their own plan of attack. It was exacerbated by being baited into the "my character can do this and yours can't" exchange that ate up most of the posts.

As for Charlotte and Gundam, it appeared like they had scheduling/communication issues or something. Didn't seem like a coordinated attack. Gundam needs to refine his style for tourneys. Mainly just inexperience. It's more about presenting info and tactics than going for cheap pops. Let the plan make your opponent look stupid homie.

That's a wrap.

-Delph Digler

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 03:32 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Some points, followed by the vote and numbers:

- Don't use imagehost please. It kept trying to give me a virus. Serious as I take these things, my PC's security is more important. This is the last match I'll click on imagehost links. Imageshack or photobucket, please.

- I've seen Thor feats used for Bill before. As a general rule, I dislike it. The amount of "talking" the hammer does to Bill seemed like information and physical abilities, not advanced battle tactics or new strategies. You guys dressed it up prettier than I've seen before, but pigs, lipstick, that schtick. Be careful what you try to impart to Bill via those couple scans, because I'm not the only judge who will ignore Thor's more exotic feats being used for Bill.

- The energy soak of hammers has long been a plague upon GLs in tourneys. That much isn't in question. The trend continues.

- BN #6 made ring duplication the rage, but there's a lot of caveats about "in times of great distress" and "being sanctioned by the Guardians" etc. etc. in regards to their newfound powers. Is there rock solid proof that duplication is always possible, not just at specific times? I actually didn't discount the duplication, because I don't think it has any bearing on the match. People forget how extremely hard it is to wield a ring. Telepathic link or not, a GL ring in the hands of anyone who hasn't been a GL would be akin to giving a 2-year-old a monster truck.

- Charlotte/gundam's team has more raw power, imo. Talisman's thing is versatility, and I've never been supremely impressed with Comet. Fact is, though, that Kris and Mungi did a better job providing effective counters for the other team. Since tourneys are about repping your own team, not providing a completely unbiased view, it often comes down to not who might actually win in, say, the vs. forum but who does the better job in the 4-5 posts given to them. And by the end I was pretty convinced that, for example, Shaman had a distinct edge on Zee, Comet had enough of an edge against GL's to make some noise, etc. etc.

- Lol at comparing telepathic cock sizes..."This is a galaxy-wide feat!" "Oh yeah, well this guy heard him from another universe, bub!" You guys have telepathy. Noted. Now stfu next time please, and stay relevant.

- And despite the admirable and already-mentioned clarity of Mungi's posts, I will say that a quote from the other team more often wouldn't hurt. Was occasionally hard to know exactly what you were responding to.

- As a clerical matter, what was decided on Scuttlebutt?

Originality
Blaze/KM - 1/5
Gundam/Charlotte - 1/5

Effectiveness
Blaze/KM - 3/5
Gundam/Charlotte - 1/5

Debating Skill
Blaze/KM - 6/10
Gundam/Charlotte - 3/10

I intend to have the lowest numbers of any judge. Gotta earn those points, poozers!

Vote for Kris/Mungi

Last edited by Digi on Jan 7th, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 10:50 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Digi was the only one who got the debate score right no expression

Thanks for all your votes Judges. For those of you who don't know, this was actually my very first tourney/battlezone match ever. It feels really good to pull home a victory in my first one. Especially when it involved such weathered debaters such as Charlotte, Psycho and KM. Hat off to all of you, and also to our respected opponents. You put up a fight at least, and that's more than most people are able to against the powerful Team Social Healthcare. Awesome judges and a great opposing team, I could not have hoped for a better first tourney experience.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 04:49 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

batdude and bentley didn't post their opinions yet...I guess it isn't necessary.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 04:56 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Sorry for being late, I intended to be more active here but I barely could given that I'm in vacations traveling and stuff, I'm here though so lets see...

I guess my vote is not needed anymore, but I was going to vote Blaze and KM anyways, so there is that.

My reasons for those who care:

After so much messing around with the rules (whats with KM saying he controls Zatanna each post, I thought mind control was banned?), and so much circular debating (I literally thought I was rereading a post at some point), my choice came mostly to which strategy was more likely. I wouldnt accept Bill using Thor's feats most of the time but Mundi and Blaze kept it simple. I guess that keeping things simply when things were a mess was the best way to sound believable.

I didnt love the strategy of mind sharing Kyle's experience in order to have his experience as a green lantern, I didnt see any scan suggesting that TS could do that, and in my book phsychic power doesnt equal finesse nor matching other telepaths that have actual feats doing this kind of stuff. I still ran with it, but for other posters running psychics I would not let this kind of thing ruin your strategy in case you try it.

The rest was said by the other judges. This ain't about having the strongest character, but to blend their feats into a coherent and original debate. I hope to have the chance to read further matches.

Originality
Blaze/KM - 2/5
Gundam/Charlotte - 2/5

Not much to say here. Skip the go-blast strategies and squeeze your characters.

Effectiveness
Blaze/KM - 3/5
Gundam/Charlotte - 1/5

Neither plan is particularly effective or not, but KM and Blaze offered more things from their characters.

Debating Skill
Blaze/KM - 6/10
Gundam/Charlotte - 3/10

Gotta say that I expected a lot more countering, more weird interactions between power and less straight go-blast strategies. Overpowering is in my opinion, not a good debate to have, since here rules arent those of the VS forums.

Vote for Blaze and Mundi. Good luck guys.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 05:23 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Spirit control is not mind control.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2010 11:12 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

Originally posted by -K-M-
Spirit control is not mind control.

When applied on person's astral projection and not on sentient force of nature? I beg to differ...

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Jan 10th, 2010 09:23 AM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
When applied on person's astral projection and not on sentient force of nature? I beg to differ...

Telepathy involves the mind. That's not up for debate.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Jan 10th, 2010 09:34 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

It seems hypocritical to allow voodoesque stuff (mind control via soul control) and ban telepathy (how is magic better in the SAME stuff).

Cause what Mungi attempted is not some Spirit Test-like bending of spirits of nature. That's attempt to apply voodoesque manipulations on the soul of fellow sorcerers.
He's Spirit Binder, not soul\astral projection binder.

Anyways, congrats to you guys. I wasn't interested in winning that match... or to say better, I didn't care whether I win or lose.

But I'm going to make sure judges sort out the differences between voodoesque mind control via soul control and plain old telepathic mind control. "We take the souls of opposing teams under our control and make them kill themselves"=good FTW strategy. It's legality=doubtful.

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Jan 10th, 2010 11:17 AM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Its not, as the spirits still have their mind they are just compelled to oblidge to help the Talisman. Its not mind control far from it, they even show this in Alpha Flight.

It seems hypocritical to allow voodoesque stuff (mind control via soul control) and ban telepathy (how is magic better in the SAME stuff).

He's Spirit Binder, not soul\astral projection binder.

But I'm going to make sure judges sort out the differences between voodoesque mind control via soul control and plain old telepathic mind control. "We take the souls of opposing teams under our control and make them kill themselves"=good FTW strategy. It's legality=doubtful.

It's not telepathy *facepalm*

Actually its the same thing as he has controlled astral projections before, hence why I said it was a bad mistake to do that. Shouldn't have picked a character so obscure as I have to explain every little detail erm.

Talisman can't do that, the only reason I could do it here is you attacked me in spirit form directly. If you didn't, you would have been safe from spirit control. I highly doubt anyone else is going to try to go astral form against Talisman to be honest, nor was it a key stragedy in our plan you just made the mistake of going astral form which was to our advantage.

Last edited by -K-M- on Jan 10th, 2010 at 05:02 PM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2010 04:57 PM