KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Heroes » 'Heroes' actor searching for parents after earthquake

'Heroes' actor searching for parents after earthquake
Started by: LanceWindu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LanceWindu

'Heroes' actor searching for parents after earthquake

quote:
(CNN) -- Haitian native and "Heroes" cast member Jimmy Jean-Louis was searching for his elderly parents in Haiti on Wednesday afternoon after a powerful earthquake struck the nation. Jean-Louis learned that a house he had grown up in collapsed, killing several of his relatives.

"I have not slept yet. The second house that I grew up in was down, and some relatives have died, from what I have been told," Jean-Louis said Wednesday. "I haven't been able to reach my parents. I have heard that they are OK, but I do not know what is going on around them."

Jean-Louis was born in Petionville, Haiti, where he grew up without electricity or running water. He moved to Paris, France, when he was 12 to pursue a modeling career and supported his parents by sending money home since he started acting nearly 20 years ago.

He is the founder of Hollywood Unites for Haiti, a nonprofit organization whose original mission was to provide sports and cultural education to underprivileged youth on the island. The group is mobilizing for disaster relief after a magnitude-7 earthquake struck Tuesday.

The actor heard about the quake moments after the news broke. For several hours, he was unable to get in touch with anyone on the ground in Haiti. Late Tuesday, he reached a friend who is the local director of Hollywood Unites for Haiti.

"He was stuck in the chaos, and he was supposed to give me complete details about what was going on on the ground and with my family, but all he could say was that the house was down and that some people from the house died," Jean-Louis said. "I'm trying everyone on their cell phones and on their house phones, my parents' friends and the people in their neighborhood, and I have been unable to speak with one person who is close to them."

Jean-Louis, who is best known as "The Haitian" on the NBC series "Heroes," returned from Haiti only a couple of weeks ago after spending the holidays with his parents. He was planning to return this month but will now be traveling much sooner to provide relief aid.

"I am going to try to get in, but I am going to try to understand the situation first to see how I can best help," Jean-Louis said. "The plan is to at some point visit, and right now, I am trying to be as productive as I can be here."

Jean-Louis and Hollywood Unites for Haiti are encouraging people looking to help to send money instead of goods at the moment.

"People should understand that sending donations of items and goods will be difficult right now because we will be bombarded and have no way to distribute them," Jean-Louis said.

"I don't think people have any idea how terrible this is because of the circumstances on the ground in Haiti and the lack of the infrastructure. There are no roads, and it is going to be extremely difficult for help to reach people."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/...aiti/index.html

Old Post Jan 14th, 2010 09:00 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Thats sad but hes rich so why didnt he move his family before all of this to a better place?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2010 09:11 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Nuul
Thats sad but hes rich so why didnt he move his family before all of this to a better place?
His family may have not wanted to move. Haiti isn't a total shit hole you know, there are nice areas.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2010 09:47 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Natural disasters happen everywhere. How were they to know there would be a massive earthquake in Haiti? They grew up there, its what they know. And Spooony makes a great point, there are nice areas there too.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2010 10:45 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I'm sorry to gang up on you, but that was a bit insensitive.

like Ken and Spoony said, there's no way to know when a disaster like this will happen... and while he might have money and better living conditions now, his parents have always been in Haiti, and like many people, I'm sure, they were not interested in leaving their homeland. After all you make the best of what you have.

pretty sad indeed. Is so depressing watching the news and seeing nothing but rubble all over the place

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 12:00 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

I guess he was able to locate them. Good for him.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/...dex.html?hpt=T2

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 04:28 AM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

A sad time indeed,my girlfriend is from Guyana but has relatives in Haiti...its a real mess of things at this point.....i hope the best for all involved.

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 05:58 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I guess he was able to locate them. Good for him.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/...dex.html?hpt=T2

That's great to hear!

Shame about his other relatives who lost their lives though.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 06:52 PM
truejedi

happy ending mostly though.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 01:31 AM
truejedi is currently offline Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote