KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?
Started by: The Nuul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Squirrel Fart

Source: Deadline Hollywood
February 9, 2010

In possibly one of the biggest superhero movie shockers since the last one--when was the Spider-Man reboot, three weeks ago?--Deadline Hollywood is now reporting that The Dark Knight and Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan has been assigned the potentially thankless task of being the latest filmmaker assigned by Warner Bros. to try to save the "Superman" franchise, in this case in a mentoring capacity to figure out the best way to proceed.

Director Bryan Singer helmed the last installment Superman Returns three and a half years ago, which grossed $391 million worldwide, but wasn't seen as a hit due to its reported $270 million production budget. (Remember that the studio doesn't get 100% of those theatrical grosses.)

Since then, various names have been mentioned as possible candidates to get Superman back to the screen, most vocally comic book creator Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass), but nothing had been confirmed or definite.

This latest news seems to come out of two recent developments, the restructuring of Warner's relationship with DC Comics into a new company called DC Entertainment, headed by Diane Nelson, and the looming deadline of the estates of Superman creators Jerome Siegel and Joe Shuster gaining back the entire copyright for the character in 2013. During a court hearing about the rights to Superman, Warners chairman Alan Horn said that he hoped to make another film for 2012 at the earliest but that no script was currently in development.

Some may remember that before Bryan Singer came on board, various versions of the Man of Steel were floundering in development, including one version starring Nicolas Cage to be directed by Tim Burton based on a screenplay by Kevin Smith. Even J.J. Abrams took a crack at writing a Superman screenplay with both Brett Ratner and McG attached to direct his version at one point.

It's unclear how far Nolan's role as a mentor might stretch and whether he'll just be offering some suggestions on the direction, or will be actively involved in picking the director, writers and casting for the reboot, as it's still very early in what is already being labeled "Superman 3.0."

You can read a lot more about what led to Warner Bros.' decision over at Deadline Hollywood, and we'll keep you posted as things develop.

Knowing how many fans of The Dark Knight there are on SuperHeroHype, need we even ask what you think about Nolan being actively involved in another movie about a DC Comics character?

There still might be hope for Supes and maybe done right this time.

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Feb 9th, 2010 at 05:23 PM

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 05:20 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

you beat me to it mad mad mad whoever they get Nolan can work his magic with the person

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 07:52 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Slightly different version of events here -

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/i...ing-3rd-batman/

Chris Nolan as Executive Producer of this is very positive.
Might mean a somewhat more realistic, 'Ultimized' version of Superman?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 08:04 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
Slightly different version of events here -

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/i...ing-3rd-batman/

Chris Nolan as Executive Producer of this is very positive.
Might mean a somewhat more realistic, 'Ultimized' version of Superman?

tbh, that would be a bad idea, imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 08:37 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I don't think Superman should be "realistic", at least not in the sense that Batman has been made "realistic" in the DK series (which is very, very good).

Superman should be halfway between man and god, like a modern Hercules. I think an interesting concept would be a Superman story that's effectively an adaptation of the Labors of Hercules where some villain (Lex Luthor or possibly even Darkseid) puts him through a gauntlet of some sort that tests his strength, intelligence, and spirit.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 08:39 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by -Pr-

I agree 1000%.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 08:45 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Make him fight a Giant Spider. stick out tongue

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 09:03 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Make him fight a Giant Spider. stick out tongue

John Peters was right. if Superman Returns had a giant spider for him to fight, the movie would have been better.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Last edited by -Pr- on Feb 9th, 2010 at 09:16 PM

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 09:13 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

John Peters was right. if Superman Returns had a giant spider for him to fight, the movie would have been better.

Superman Returns could have been three hours of Clark Kent proofreading an expose on a Tuna Canning company and it would have been better in my book. stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 10:01 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Superman Returns could have been three hours of Clark Kent proofreading an expose on a Tuna Canning company and it would have been better in my book. stick out tongue

probably.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 10:01 PM
Omega Vision

probably.

And once he's done proofreading he fights a giant spiderThanagarian Snare-Beast.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 10:12 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

And once he's done proofreading he fights a giant spiderThanagarian Snare-Beast.

as you do.

honestly, though, i'd love to see someone like Morrison write a Superman movie. Though there probably woulnd't be a lot in the way of physical combat, i doubt i'd care.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 10:56 PM
Omega Vision

as you do.

honestly, though, i'd love to see someone like Morrison write a Superman movie. Though there probably woulnd't be a lot in the way of physical combat, i doubt i'd care.

It wouldn't be about punching and it would probably involve his extended golden-Superman meta-story that appears time and time again throughout his writing and lots of mind-screw toward the end. I'd watch the shit out of that movie. laughing

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 11:06 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It wouldn't be about punching and it would probably involve his extended golden-Superman meta-story that appears time and time again throughout his writing and lots of mind-screw toward the end. I'd watch the shit out of that movie. laughing

while high.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 11:34 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Superman Returns would have been better had it had better "acting" in it

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 12:33 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

a realistic movie about an alien disguised as a mild-mannered reporter? what's not realistic about that?

people need to stop asking for a "realistic" superman movie. i agree with Pr.. that would be a bad idea. what would be good for a superman movie is a relevant screenplay, good directing and even better acting. on that note, a lois re-cast please..

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 12:33 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by super pr*xy
a realistic movie about an alien disguised as a mild-mannered reporter? what's not realistic about that?

people need to stop asking for a "realistic" superman movie. i agree with Pr.. that would be a bad idea. what would be good for a superman movie is a relevant screenplay, good directing and even better acting. on that note, a lois re-cast please..

Pretty much an across the board recast. While we're on the subject of casting there needs to be hotter women in the next Nolan Bat-film. Maggie Gyllenhaal is about as attractive as a scarecrow with lipstick.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 01:50 AM
super pr*xy

thank god they killed of that character.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 02:03 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Ugh, don't know how I feel about this.

Nolan did a good job with Begins/Dark Knight (yes, good, not the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life). But an "ultimatized, hyper realistic" tone for Superman? He's an alien with powers beyond those of mortal men. Even the world of Batman shouldn't have been so damn "realistic" in cinema.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 02:03 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Ugh, don't know how I feel about this.

Nolan did a good job with Begins/Dark Knight (yes, good, not the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life). But an "ultimatized, hyper realistic" tone for Superman? He's an alien with powers beyond those of mortal men. Even the world of Batman shouldn't have been so damn "realistic" in cinema.

honestly, i agree. i think he went a bit too far.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 02:08 AM