KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?
Started by: The Nuul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
honestly, i agree. i think he went a bit too far.

The best thing DC can do movie-wise is to expand their vision beyond Superman and Batman and to show them in a shared universe. Granted it would be seen by people as a "rip-off" of what Marvel is doing, but it would work. The simple fact that DC can rival Marvel outside of the actual comic industry with two characters is impressive, and if they spent time to build upon their wide cast of characters (like GL for example), they can only make things better.

That being said, because Nolan wanted to make Gotham City a "real" city and Batman as a "real" hero, that kinda screws up the chance of any shared continuity with other DC characters. I think in an interview he even specifically stated why he wouldn't mention Superman or even acknowledge his existence in his movie universe.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 02:32 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
The best thing DC can do movie-wise is to expand their vision beyond Superman and Batman and to show them in a shared universe. Granted it would be seen by people as a "rip-off" of what Marvel is doing, but it would work. The simple fact that DC can rival Marvel outside of the actual comic industry with two characters is impressive, and if they spent time to build upon their wide cast of characters (like GL for example), they can only make things better.

That being said, because Nolan wanted to make Gotham City a "real" city and Batman as a "real" hero, that kinda screws up the chance of any shared continuity with other DC characters. I think in an interview he even specifically stated why he wouldn't mention Superman or even acknowledge his existence in his movie universe.

yeah, i know what you mean.

at least in the GL movie, Clark is slated to make an appearance, so that's something at least...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 03:45 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Sounding like Nolan, Jon and Kennet are in the same bed together. They all want a realistic Alien/God who can flying in space, lift mountains, invulnerable to Earths weapons and more. The those guys fight characters like Loki, Surter and Darkseid. All of these are NOT realistic at all. Bad move for either Supes and Thor and it prob make things worst for Supes that already has a dead movie franchise. Thor may can get lucky still with their new ideas.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 05:51 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

why do they keep hiring these idiots to ruin our childhoods? because whenever i hear "realistic," the fist thing that come tom ind is an alien/god who can fly in space, lift mountains, invulnerable to earth weapons and more. jeez..

and frankly, nolan's vision about realism in his movies wouldn't really matter if the studio wants otherwise. donner anyone?

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 08:21 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

They should just bring back Donner and let him have his way.

Superman II Expanded International Cut is the best Supes movie ever!

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Feb 10th, 2010 at 08:45 PM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 08:42 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by super pr*xy
why do they keep hiring these idiots to ruin our childhoods? because whenever i hear "realistic," the fist thing that come tom ind is an alien/god who can fly in space, lift mountains, invulnerable to earth weapons and more. jeez..

and frankly, nolan's vision about realism in his movies wouldn't really matter if the studio wants otherwise. donner anyone?

thats just it though... i don't think nolan will go the "realistic" way as he has done with batman... i think whoever WB actually hires to direct will take what nolan thinks and try to apply it with his own vision and hopefully a good film ensues

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 10:52 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by super pr*xy

You're calling Christopher Nolan an idiot?

And before people run to bring back Richard Donner, consider how mediocre his output has been the past twenty years. He could co-produce, but don't put him in the Director's Chair now.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 02:38 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

And...

The studio doesn't know what they want - they've gone in so many directions over this property. So they're bringing in someone who has shown how to work with their other DC flagpole.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 02:40 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I just really want Darkseid...

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 05:10 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

I WANT DS ALSO....stop using Goddamn Lex, or Zod. The are fine as supporting villains.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 03:33 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Darkseid would be tricky to pull off but if they got the sort of production values that Avatar had then I can see Darkseid not only looking real, but looking frightening. Also Michael Ironside is the only voice for Darkseid, accept no substitutions.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 03:56 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Brainiac, first

Darkseid, second if first film a success

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 07:59 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Hank, Metallo and others would be better than Lex and Zod.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 08:28 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Stop with the kryptonite angle, too. Give it a rest. Characters like Braniac & Darkseid give him a great fight without resorting to that plot device.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 10:20 PM
ares834

Agreed. I want to see a slug fest in the next Superman. And if the villian has kryptonite that likely won't happen.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 11:52 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by roughrider
Stop with the kryptonite angle, too. Give it a rest. Characters like Braniac & Darkseid give him a great fight without resorting to that plot device.

Yes...I agree stop with the kryptonite plots, they are done to death.

I hope Nolan will make the right choices. He did well for Batman but I dont think the same style can work with Supes.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 12:25 AM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I don't think Superman should be "realistic", at least not in the sense that Batman has been made "realistic" in the DK series (which is very, very good).

Superman should be halfway between man and god, like a modern Hercules. I think an interesting concept would be a Superman story that's effectively an adaptation of the Labors of Hercules where some villain (Lex Luthor or possibly even Darkseid) puts him through a gauntlet of some sort that tests his strength, intelligence, and spirit.

Agreed (This is happening a lot recently wink) - But I still like the idea of a realism makeover. Realism can still be epic. 2001 Space Odyssey, and Blade Runner come to mind.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 01:23 AM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Also Michael Ironside is the only voice for Darkseid, accept no substitutions.

He even kind of looks like him.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 01:26 AM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Agreed (This is happening a lot recently wink) - But I still like the idea of a realism makeover. Realism can still be epic. 2001 Space Odyssey, and Blade Runner come to mind.

Oh I don't think I would mind a "realistic" take on the concept of Superman but you should never call such an interpretation the real Superman. Superman isn't about realism, he's about magic and wonder. If you make such an adaptation don't make it a major Hollywood flick, experiment with it using an Animated Film.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 01:28 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
He even kind of looks like him.

Dan Turpin from FC (when he briefly regained control and started mumbling "In us all") looked almost exactly how Ironside would look if he was in a Darkseid costume. laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 01:29 AM