KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?
Started by: The Nuul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Oh I don't think I would mind a "realistic" take on the concept of Superman but you should never call such an interpretation the real Superman. Superman isn't about realism, he's about magic and wonder. If you make such an adaptation don't make it a major Hollywood flick, experiment with it using an Animated Film.

When I say realistic I mean pseudo realistic. As u said before I don' want him to be some MEGA invertebrate insectoid with a Exo-skeleton. But I love clever pseudo science explanations for implausibility, such as why he looks so human. ETC. Maybe Kryptonains have merged their bodies with their technology, and can download their consciousness into biological forms. Jor El, wanted Superman to fit in on earth, so he built a body that would look human? Or something a little less exotic and more creative ?

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 01:37 AM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
When I say realistic I mean pseudo realistic. As u said before I don' want him to be some MEGA invertebrate insectoid with a Exo-skeleton. But I love clever pseudo science explanations for implausibility, such as why he looks so human. ETC. Maybe Kryptonains have merged their bodies with their technology, and can download their consciousness into biological forms. Jor El, wanted Superman to fit in on earth, so he built a body that would look human? Or something a little less exotic and more creative ?

Well that explanation sounds a lot like the recent Day the Earth Stood Still remake. I prefer the theory that Kryptonians (and humans too) were both modeled on Morpheus's Oan lover. At least I think that was the thing that Gaiman proposed in Sandman.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 01:41 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Well that explanation sounds a lot like the recent Day the Earth Stood Still remake. I prefer the theory that Kryptonians (and humans too) were both modeled on Morpheus's Oan lover. At least I think that was the thing that Gaiman proposed in Sandman.

That would work ... Its kind of the Romulain, Vulcan plot device.

P.S. That FILM was so bad, I don't want it brought up in my presence. lol

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 01:43 AM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
That would work ... Its kind of the Romulain, Vulcan plot device.

P.S. That FILM was so bad, I don't want it brought up in my presence. lol

Oh I know. I hated it so much that I dismissed your possible explanation out of association with said horrible remake. laughing out loud

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 02:26 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Yeah, CD thats is some horrible shit you just typed, its borderline Bays level.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 02:13 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

it is being reported that Chris Nolan's brother Jonah is making his directorial debut with the Superman film also that this could lead to Jonah directing the Justice League film as well..

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEnQJsqnFdBhqw

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 26th, 2010 07:57 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I thought his name was Jonathan Nolan, not Jonah. Unless this is another Nolan brother coming out of the woodwork...

If true, it seems DC is following Marvel's blueprint for bringing together an Avengers movie, for the Justice League.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 01:09 AM
roughrider is online now! Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by roughrider
I thought his name was Jonathan Nolan, not Jonah. Unless this is another Nolan brother coming out of the woodwork...

If true, it seems DC is following Marvel's blueprint for bringing together an Avengers movie, for the Justice League.

Seems a bit contradictory considering Nolan has hinted that HIS Batman doesn't even share a Universe with guys like Superman.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 01:19 AM
emoboy13
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think he shoud bc he directed dark night and that was the greatest film of all time besides maby twilight or something

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 08:12 PM
emoboy13 is currently offline Click here to Send emoboy13 a Private Message Find more posts by emoboy13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by emoboy13
i think he shoud bc he directed dark night and that was the greatest film of all time besides maby twilight or something

I hope you're joking about the second part and you're just a drunken master of sarcasm.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 08:18 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Seems a bit contradictory considering Nolan has hinted that HIS Batman doesn't even share a Universe with guys like Superman.

plus, iirc, they mentioned a JLA movie as far back as Batman Begins and Superman Returns, which were before talk of the Avengers iirc...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 07:42 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

The last Superman movie mentioned Gotham City. I think DC wants to knit these properties together on the big screen. Chris Nolan's involvement with Superman seems to indicate he is on side.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 07:51 PM
roughrider is online now! Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by roughrider
The last Superman movie mentioned Gotham City. I think DC wants to knit these properties together on the big screen. Chris Nolan's involvement with Superman seems to indicate he is on side.

Yes, the Superman movie did. You could put Batman in a Superman movie with the style they used, but trying to fit Superman in to Nolan's ultra-realistic world would be a waste of time, tbh...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 08:45 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Chris Nolan speaks

since he talks about both supes and bats, I put the same link in the Batman forum as well

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 08:10 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Also read a thing on Superherohype Superman won't be meeting Batman so yeah no Justice League.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2010 01:18 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by -Pr-
Yes, the Superman movie did. You could put Batman in a Superman movie with the style they used, but trying to fit Superman in to Nolan's ultra-realistic world would be a waste of time, tbh...

Unless you went for an epic 'never directly show his face and always frame his constantly fluttering red cape with a halo of golden light sun-god' approach to Superman's character. Essentially just say "**** you realism" and have Superman appear as a larger than life anomaly that defies (and indeed pisses on) scientific realism. Like maybe even have him at Silver Age levels to really hammer in the contrast between him and Batman but still emphasize Batman's worth by having Batman save his skin at some point.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2010 01:34 AM
Bardock42

I think a more realistic less silly endless powered Superman movie could be great.

Also maybe face a real villain, or at least not petty crook luthor.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2010 04:05 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Unless you went for an epic 'never directly show his face and always frame his constantly fluttering red cape with a halo of golden light sun-god' approach to Superman's character. Essentially just say "**** you realism" and have Superman appear as a larger than life anomaly that defies (and indeed pisses on) scientific realism. Like maybe even have him at Silver Age levels to really hammer in the contrast between him and Batman but still emphasize Batman's worth by having Batman save his skin at some point.

could be.

Originally posted by Bardock42
I think a more realistic less silly endless powered Superman movie could be great.

that would basically be comic superman.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 11th, 2010 07:09 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Bardock42

I think asking for a realistic Superman is a contradiction. Superman isn't about realism IMO, he's about the wonder of imagination, he's about soaring over the clouds with a goofy heroic smile on his face, he's about summoning strength from nowhere and pushing planets even though logically a planet would break with such force exerted on it.

I want a Superman movie in the vein of All Star Superman, a seemingly all powerful guardian angel sent to sheppard humanity and protect it from the harsh reality of the Universe (natural disasters and such) as well as protect it from itself.

An origin story would be fine but I'd prefer a different kind of story, maybe something along the line of 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?', a story that pushes Big Blue to his limits and shows his 'final' adventure, a story which a villain like Darkseid would be perfect for.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2010 04:21 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I think asking for a realistic Superman is a contradiction. Superman isn't about realism IMO, he's about the wonder of imagination, he's about soaring over the clouds with a goofy heroic smile on his face, he's about summoning strength from nowhere and pushing planets even though logically a planet would break with such force exerted on it.

I want a Superman movie in the vein of All Star Superman, a seemingly all powerful guardian angel sent to sheppard humanity and protect it from the harsh reality of the Universe (natural disasters and such) as well as protect it from itself.

An origin story would be fine but I'd prefer a different kind of story, maybe something along the line of 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?', a story that pushes Big Blue to his limits and shows his 'final' adventure, a story which a villain like Darkseid would be perfect for.

QFT.

I think most people are familiar with his origin, so limiting it to the opening credits or something similar is better, imo.

But yeah, as cool as TDK was, the formula with its success doesn't auto-translate into every superhero movie...despite the fact that most writers and producers believe it does. Hell, even Batman stretches "realism" as a character, no matter how grounded he is. Superman pretty much craps on "realism" in comparison. I think the semi-divine angel allegory was made already in Superman Returns (which had a lot of messiah like allusions made to Superman).

Regardless of how they take the film, it needs to have a villain who can physically challenge Superman somewhat. That much is obvious.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2010 09:27 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote