KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Third Riddick Movie

Third Riddick Movie
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (22): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Pitch Black was conceptually like Aliens... while Chronicles of Riddick was like Flash Gorden mixed with David Lynch's Dune. Who in their right mind fallows up a great low budget sci-fi creature feature with a grandiose B-Movie cheese fest? Chronicles of Riddick is worse than the second Highlander movie, they should forget everything that happened and have Ol'Riddick kill some monsters.

The synopses sounds better than the last film... but I wish they would stop trying to turn Riddick into Luke Skywalker and ignore this Furian BS. Riddick was a better character when he was just a badass who traded 20 menthol cools for a shine job, before the extended canon and the second movie retcon'd it.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 06:43 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mardook
Easier said than done!

David Twohy's script for Pitch Black is essentially Alien 3. He did write a script for Alien 3.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2011 08:15 AM
mardook is currently offline Click here to Send mardook a Private Message Find more posts by mardook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Pitch Black was conceptually like Aliens... while Chronicles of Riddick was like Flash Gorden mixed with David Lynch's Dune. Who in their right mind fallows up a great low budget sci-fi creature feature with a grandiose B-Movie cheese fest? Chronicles of Riddick is worse than the second Highlander movie, they should forget everything that happened and have Ol'Riddick kill some monsters.

The synopses sounds better than the last film... but I wish they would stop trying to turn Riddick into Luke Skywalker and ignore this Furian BS. Riddick was a better character when he was just a badass who traded 20 menthol cools for a shine job, before the extended canon and the second movie retcon'd it.
I liked Chronicles, not that is was anywhere as good as PB, nor does it really make sense that it is it's sequel, but I like Riddick. big grin

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Feb 27th, 2011 07:32 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tarand
Restricted

Account Restricted

These things looked pretty good, and some that I can learn, and I hope to learn more on it!

Old Post Apr 1st, 2011 01:07 AM
tarand is currently offline Click here to Send tarand a Private Message Find more posts by tarand Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elfirrepins
sniperrifle backwards

Here's my take on what I think the third movie will be...

He turns his back on the Necromongers and tells them to "live their own life". He then goes on his own journey after finding out who he is. Eventually he finds his way to Furya, where he starts learning more about his people. Meanwhile, Vaako seizes this opportunity to take control of the Necromonger throne.

Vaako resurrects Kira (Jack), and he grows fond of her. Thandie Newton's character (she was too sexy for me to remember her character name) get jealous. In the end, Vaako tries to destroy Furya and Riddick, Kira and Thandie's character try to kill each other, and all hell breaks loose. After the smoke clears, Riddick and Kira on the verge of death, and Kira tries to comfort him. Riddick dies, and Kira gets saved by an incoming mercenary vessel.

That's how I think it'll go. Now I know for a fact it'll go differently lol.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2011 05:11 AM
elfirrepins is currently offline Click here to Send elfirrepins a Private Message Find more posts by elfirrepins Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Diesel is in a Riddick Pay Cut Quandary

quote:
"[David Twohy] the writer/director just landed in New York with the good news. We can start filming this summer. However, there is a catch...in order for us to make a true R-rated film, I must work for scale upfront. Not unlike the Find me Guilty experience (which I wouldn't have changed for the world). Money is always second to art, integrity and spirit...but the real issue is deeper. Can I suspend my life, to momentarily venture to that dark place...called Riddick. Now, I need to hear from Our collective...you."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78040

Last edited by Kazenji on May 25th, 2011 at 07:58 AM

Old Post May 25th, 2011 07:55 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 25th, 2011 03:38 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Hows the sleep?

Old Post May 26th, 2011 03:43 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by srankmissingnin

I somewhat agree, I only saw them both for the first time a short time ago and the difference in tone is telling, far enjoyed Pitch Black more although I thought the concepts in the second and the general look and breadth of the film was amazing. I would definitely give a third film a look, just to see what happen's to Nick Chinlund's character, Toombs. He always plays scumbags! big grin

Old Post May 26th, 2011 07:10 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Kazenji
Hows the sleep?

Fine. I'm not staying awake, waiting for this to happen. wink

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 26th, 2011 10:35 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nimbus006
Accuser

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I somewhat agree, I only saw them both for the first time a short time ago and the difference in tone is telling, far enjoyed Pitch Black more although I thought the concepts in the second and the general look and breadth of the film was amazing. I would definitely give a third film a look, just to see what happen's to Nick Chinlund's character, Toombs. He always plays scumbags! big grin

I'm kind of on the same boat here. While I thought PB was a much better movie, there's some sort of cheesy rewatch value in Chronicles that makes me stay tuned everytime it's on. I guess I can say the same for PB, but not the extent of COR. I think I've seen Chronicles like 20 times as opposed to PB which I've probably seen about half that. Must be the cheesy dialogue, and "grandiose" set pieces that capture me.

"I bow to no man", Are you kidding me? How cool would it be to be able to deliver that line and then actually back it up by thrashing one of the guys "best", lol.

By: Juk

Old Post Jun 8th, 2011 06:42 PM
nimbus006 is currently offline Click here to Send nimbus006 a Private Message Find more posts by nimbus006 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by nimbus006
I'm kind of on the same boat here. While I thought PB was a much better movie, there's some sort of cheesy rewatch value in Chronicles that makes me stay tuned everytime it's on. I guess I can say the same for PB, but not the extent of COR. I think I've seen Chronicles like 20 times as opposed to PB which I've probably seen about half that. Must be the cheesy dialogue, and "grandiose" set pieces that capture me.

"I bow to no man", Are you kidding me? How cool would it be to be able to deliver that line and then actually back it up by thrashing one of the guys "best", lol.

I just loved the costumes and the general style of the Necromonger order, if ever a live action Warhammer 40k comes out those would be excellent concepts for chaos soldiers. I mean this helmet kicks ass...

Attachment: necromonger.png
This has been downloaded 68 time(s).

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 04:59 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

I liked Pitch Black, hated Chronicles, I couldn't even stay awake for most of the movie every time I saw it. Hopefully this one will be better. I like Vin, he's a good action hero.

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Jun 17th, 2011 02:55 AM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I am extremely excited to finally hear that the next Riddick film is getting underway. I've been hoping for a sequel since The Chronicles of Riddick came out in 2004. If they're still thinking of this as a trilogy (with Pitch Black as "the Hobbit" of the series), then I wish they'd go ahead and film the next two back-to-back. They'd save money that way, anyway.

Personally, I don't understand all the hatred for the second movie. Is it much more over-the-top? Yes, is there some cheesy material and some bad one-liners? Yes. But if you watch the Director's Cut (as opposed to the Theatrical version), then a lot of that is kept to a minimum and it's a fun kind of grown-up mythology and good parody of religion. Besides, i REALLY like the actress who plays Kyra, Alexa Davalos. I think she's an awesome actress. I've seen her in some other stuff, too. I hope she returns.

<<---- Anywhoo... as you can see, I'm a big fan.. ;p

Old Post Jul 10th, 2011 11:56 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Personally, I don't understand all the hatred for the second movie. Is it much more over-the-top? Yes, is there some cheesy material and some bad one-liners? Yes.

I don't think it's hate so much it's just that the tone of the 1st differed a lot from the 2nd. 1st was survival horror whereas the second was a full-blown sci-fi adventure and it just seemed like a big jump.

Like I've said I preferred PB but found the scope and the concepts of the second to be amazing. Other than that there were complaints that it was following 'the chosen one' cliche that a lot of fantasy/sci-fi films use and while I vaguely noticed it while watching it didn't spoil it for me, probably because I was still amazed by the visuals. big grin

Would be very interested to see how it continues...maybe Riddick will strike out on his own again.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2011 10:49 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I don't think it's hate so much it's just that the tone of the 1st differed a lot from the 2nd. 1st was survival horror whereas the second was a full-blown sci-fi adventure and it just seemed like a big jump.

Like I've said I preferred PB but found the scope and the concepts of the second to be amazing.

I don't think anyone would have wanted them to make another survival story on the same planet, blah, blah, blah... like sequels usually do. Twohy himself said that that would have been a lack of imagination. And they obviously had more planned for the Riddick universe. And yeah, the scope of the film is great. I'm thrilled that there's a more adult Star Wars of sorts. The mythology of a sort of 'chosen one' is overdone for sure, but the 'hero's path' is also the most satisfying to the human psyche. Just ask Joseph Campbell.. haha. stick out tongue

Does anybody know if they've started filming yet? I read articles saying that they would start this summer (assuming Vin worked for scale). But IMDB still says it's in pre-production..

Old Post Jul 17th, 2011 11:46 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I don't think anyone would have wanted them to make another survival story on the same planet, blah, blah, blah... like sequels usually do. Twohy himself said that that would have been a lack of imagination. And they obviously had more planned for the Riddick universe. And yeah, the scope of the film is great. I'm thrilled that there's a more adult Star Wars of sorts. The mythology of a sort of 'chosen one' is overdone for sure, but the 'hero's path' is also the most satisfying to the human psyche.

Yeah, you're right, it had to change tack to move on conceptually and I think it did it... maybe a bit too fast but it certainly managed to. I can't wait for what they do, maybe show more of the Necromongers and we'll also have to see where Riddick goes from here. Whatever it is I hope they keep the continuity with Urban and Newton possibly returning - give the movie more options.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2011 07:36 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, you're right, it had to change tack to move on conceptually and I think it did it... maybe a bit too fast but it certainly managed to.

Well, you know there IS a short animated feature that bridges the gap between Pitch Black and Chronicles. It's called Dark Fury. It's done by Peter Chung, who's a really creative animator. It's good.

Whatever it is I hope they keep the continuity with Urban and Newton possibly returning - give the movie more options.

That reminds me of something I've been wondering about. I will say that I don't worry about them making it work, because they are very precious about the character and the story and are very careful to get it right (so I trust they will); however, since they are taking a budget cut to make it R-rated, I wonder if the story will follow the same arch as before. They originally said that Pt.2 would be a trip to the Underverse and Pt.3 would be Riddick returning to his homeworld, Furya. And from what I've read, it sounds like they're not going to the Underverse anymore. Perhaps that would require a larger budget. And I think I read somewhere that there would be a trip to Furya in Pt.2. They keep saying it's gonna be more scaled down, like Pitch Black. Which is fine. But anyway, I just wonder if they've had to change much from their original plan. Probably not much use in speculating because we won't know for a while probably, heh...

(btw, I just re-read the novelization of Pitch Black. So good!)

Old Post Jul 19th, 2011 02:05 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Old Post Jul 20th, 2011 07:39 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Kazenji
New concept art

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...9/news/?a=42201

Hell yeah, sir!! Thank you for sharing that!! It looks like I Am Legend a little bit, with man's best friend there with him.. haha

Old Post Jul 20th, 2011 02:45 PM