KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Third Riddick Movie

Third Riddick Movie
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (22): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

That interpretation is 100% correct, to be honest.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 10:02 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
That interpretation is 100% correct, to be honest.

I'm sorry, so you became Riddick in that scene? No, so stop. It's like the Bible.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 10:10 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I'm sorry, so you became Riddick in that scene? No, so stop. It's like the Bible.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 10:41 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Don't copy me.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 10:46 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Riddick didn't stab Fry, that should be pretty clear since he was emotionally saying "Not for me, not for me!" after she got grabbed. As in, he didn't want her to die to save him.

thumb up

It also echoes what Fry said earlier when she said she would not die for Riddick.

Honestly, by the time PB is done it's quite clear he isn't simply a cold blooded killer anymore as he will put his life on the line to help others.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 01:04 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by ares834
thumb up

It also echoes what Fry said earlier when she said she would not die for Riddick.

Honestly, by the time PB is done it's quite clear he isn't simply a cold blooded killer anymore as he will put his life on the line to help others.

Which is why he stabbed her.

So he went from being a guy who murders for some spending cash to hero for strangers in what, a couple days? Negative.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 07:12 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Robtard
So he went from being a guy who murders for some spending cash to hero for strangers in what, a couple days? Negative.
can be dismissed due to PIS/MIS.
Not the first time something illogical happened in a film.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 07:36 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

To your first 7 paragraphs:

Everything Riddick did for the others was because A) He wasn't in danger of immediate death as he was when he was wounded so his survival instinct wasn't in "all out" mode. B) He wanted hostages if possible when he left, as he was a wanted man and having civillians could come in handy.

To your last paragraph:

The director not saying "Riddick stabbed Fry" doesn't mean anything of itself, as he also didn't say "Riddick didn't stab Fry". It was subtle and he wants to keep the viewer guessing.

"depth of compassion only Vin Diesel can give in every movie he stars in." Was that a joke? Cos Diesel isn't a very good actor.

"Riddick not in danger of immediate death..."
Dude, there was thousands of those creatures...EVERYONE WAS IN DANGER OF IMMEDIATE DEATH!!! Killing one creature by hand that had Jack pinned down didn't mean Riddick had a chance in hell if two other creatures ganged up on him. He's smart enough to know that & yet he still risked his own life when he clearly didn't have to.

Hostages?
A character like Riddick doesn't strike me as someone who would hide behind hostages. He'd consider them anything but a burden & hassle to his own survival. There's a bounty on his head, do you seriously think hardened bounty hunters would give a damn if civilians were killed? The civilians were of no social importance, they would've simply been deemed casualties of war.

Twohy & Diesel's commentary went into a lot of detail describing earlier scenes in the movie... a lot of scenes the audience would've shrugged off as unimportant. And yet that pinnacle scene of whether Riddick stabs Fry or not, they only discuss how wounded he was & how budget didn't permit them to show Riddick actually battling the 2 creatures that had cornered him.

Yes, Diesel isn't a very good actor. As I said, he had a camera focussed on his face & Twohy probably in the background telling him to react to Fry getting ripped out of his arms by a flying creature. Diesel's lack of facial expression/acting ability is what we see...not a double ambiguous meaning to him stabbing Fry.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 08:17 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

A guy who murders for spending cash?
Who did he murder?

Killing an old woman for her pension cheque would make him a cold-blooded killer. Killing the boss of a ruthless drug cartel & helping himself to the spoils would make Riddick an anti-hero of sorts.

So who exactly did Riddick kill?

I mean all this shows is that Riddick is quite capable of, "Walking the walk & talking the talk."

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 08:27 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Except it didn't happen, so your premise is flawed.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 04:37 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
A guy who murders for spending cash?
Who did he murder?

Killing an old woman for her pension cheque would make him a cold-blooded killer. Killing the boss of a ruthless drug cartel & helping himself to the spoils would make Riddick an anti-hero of sorts.

So who exactly did Riddick kill?

I mean all this shows is that Riddick is quite capable of, "Walking the walk & talking the talk."

We've covered this already. The person he killed to pay for his operation; you don't think he wanted permanent night-vision and a handicap during the day because he wanted to use it to do good.

The retcon nonsense they stated in Chronicles has nothing to do with how the character was originally intended years prior.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 04:42 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

More evidence that Riddick is a bit more of a softy than Robtard wants to admit: Anyone who has read the novelization to Pitch Black will know how Johns managed to capture Riddick in the first place (in italics for emphasis):

quote:
Chapter 2; p. 27-28

It didn't take him much longer to learn the Company was running a crooked game everywhere it operated. Riddick was promoted to the prestigious Strikeforce Academy on Sigma 3's moon, where he learned all there was to know about killing. Then the Company turned him loose to enforce security on Sigma 3.

Which was a polite term for slavery. When the murder and torture became too much for Riddick to stomach, he blew the whistle. But instead of reforming the system, Riddick was branded a criminal. The evidence he'd gathered disappeared and he was put in Deep Storage. However, Riddick had been well trained. Before the third year was out, Riddick was out. He overpowered a guard, took his uniform, and slipped free. Once outside he shot two guards and a pilot, and took off with the prison planet's only space freighter. The Company promptly put a million-credit contract on his head.

He became a cosmic outcast pursued by every bounty hunter and bushwhacker in the space lanes. And each assassin Riddick eliminated was added to his list of "serial killings."

Johns had been smarter. He blasted two children to get Riddick's attention, then threatened to execute two more unless Riddick surrendered. There was much Johns would answer for, Riddick mused. And the bastard's time was at hand.

So Riddick killing an innocent person who was not trying to kill or capture him (Fry, in this case, in fact she was trying to SAVE him) doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Riddick typically kills only mercs or people in the way of his freedom (or crazy religious types on a holy cosmic crusade, lol). Fry belonged to none of those categories.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 11:43 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Just because Frank Lauria made Riddick into the stereotypical hero in order to help his sales doesn't mean this is how Riddick was written in the film. Apples to oranges.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 11:50 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Just because Frank Lauria made Riddick into the stereotypical hero in order to help his sales doesn't mean this is how Riddick was written in the film. Apples to oranges.

Well, these novelizations are usually written from the screenplays 'n such, I think. He probably wasn't allowed to change much. Certainly not something so vital as this. I'll type out the scene in question also and you'll see that all signs point to: "No, Riddick did not stab her." It's pretty much identical to how it plays out in the movie...

quote:
Chapter 16; p. 189-190

"It's me, it's me, IT'S ME!" Fry shouted. As she secured the bottle around his neck, Fry saw his face clearly in the glow. Riddick had changed. His stony-white features and liquid, black eyes reflected a very human emotion. Naked terror.

Fry gabbed his armpits and lifted, but her feet couldn't find purchase in the mud.

"C'mon, Riddick," she rasped in his ear. "I said I'd die for them--not you!"

He managed to get his feet under him and with her help, started walking back to the skiff. Behind them predatores dove down to feed on Riddick's kill in the sudden dark.

A wave of clicking sounds followed Riddick and Fry's stumbling footsteps toward the skiff's beacon lights. Fry hadn't checked Riddick for open wounds so she rotated him as they plowed through the rain--both spinning like dancers in the macabre waltz--hoping to throw the predators off his blood scent.

"Just ten steps," she muttered, urging him on past the swooping predators. "Keep turning , keep turning . . . that's right . . . others're already 'board waitin' for us right now . . . five steps, c'mon, almost there, Riddick . . . almost there . . . we're almost . . ."

A hard jolt staggered them both. Suddenly the clicking stopped.

In the drumming silence, Fry and Riddick found each other's eyes. They knew what had happened. Someone had been slashed from behind--and was bleeding . . .

But who?

Riddick slowly shook his head. "Not for me . . . "

Fry gave him a surprised look. Then vanished. Torn from his arms by a ghastly black cyclone of ravenous fury.

No scream, Riddick thought numbly.

No cry. No final words. Nothing but the rain--and a pitch black universe.

This is the way the world ends . . . not with a bang but a whimper, Riddick recited prayerlike as he dragged himself through the downpour toward the skiff.

That's the end of the chapter. And on the first page of the next chapter....

quote:
...Riddick remained hunched over the control board, toggling through nav-charts with a bloody hand. Just as easily coulda been me, he told himself...

(Not my italics this time. They're actually in the book.)

Feel free to keep insisting the world is flat, brah. But I don't think anyone is going to take you seriously.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Old Post Oct 12th, 2011 12:21 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Hey Rob, did you see that version of Titanic where Leo single-handedly pushes the ice berg away?

Old Post Oct 12th, 2011 12:22 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

You're wasting your time. Rob just told me a few posts up that he's ever even seen Pitch Black before.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2011 07:48 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

You're wasting your time. Rob just told me a few posts up that he's ever even seen Pitch Black before.

FAAARK!!!!

Neither have I.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2011 08:20 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Hey Rob, did you see that version of Titanic where Leo single-handedly pushes the ice berg away?

No, I'm straight.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2011 05:55 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

This is a lie. I saw PB before anyone else here.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2011 05:55 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

No, I'm straight.

And I'm really Vin Diesel.

Word.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2011 12:30 AM