KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » How important are speed and reflexes

In the grand scheme of things, how important is speed and reflexes?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Not at all important 1 3.85%
Not very important 1 3.85%
A little important 1 3.85%
Important 3 11.54%
Quite important 7 26.92%
Very important 9 34.62%
The most important asset available 4 15.38%
Total: 26 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

How important are speed and reflexes
Started by: JakeTheBank

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spire
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by the ninjak
He chased down Hermes!


Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:12 AM
Spire is currently offline Click here to Send Spire a Private Message Find more posts by Spire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Purgatory

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
is there anyone who hasn't shown superspeed then?

does hulk have superspeed as well?

juggernaut?

If you don't have to showcase offensive superspeed, then I could prob make the case for everyone in comics to have superspeed, as virtually every character has had some impressive reaction speed feat.

I'm not just talking about reaction feats(though they ARE enough IMO), I'm talking about him doing things at superspeed, multiple images and all...

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/...rspeed014aw.jpg

And befor you say something to the effect of "Well that feat's not on par with someone like Superman's" let me just say that I'm not claiming that it is. I'm just showing it in the hopes that you quit saying rediculous things like "his fight with Wolverine proves that he's slow and doesn't have super speed".


__________________

Last edited by darthgoober on Feb 24th, 2010 at 05:17 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:13 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus
RIP GUY222

Gender: Male
Location: Asgard

Or this:
(please log in to view the image)

Even this:
(please log in to view the image)

I mean if all we're looking for is wavy lines and blurry after images.


__________________


Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on Feb 24th, 2010 at 05:20 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:17 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Gender: Male
Location: Doomstadt

Thor chasing pigeons lol


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:19 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Germany

Thor vs Hulk was/is a major arc, and he hasn't shown any speed or reaction speed in those fights.


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:29 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Purgatory

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Placidity
Thor vs Hulk was/is a major arc, and he hasn't shown any speed or reaction speed in those fights.

And?


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:30 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Gender: Male
Location: Doomstadt

It's obvious Thor has superspeed and crazy reflexes. No one is suggesting that he has them in the same manner Superman does, but he has enough of both to suggest that he won't get overwhelmed by sheer speed. I don't even know where that myth originated from. erm


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:34 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Cybertron

anything from this century?

the scan goober posted was a legit speedblitz scan imo, but its a onetime showing from way way too long ago to still hold up without some recent displays

I mean, Sentry, a very new character, already has more demonstrable speed feats than thor


__________________


Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:37 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Cybertron

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
It's obvious Thor has superspeed and crazy reflexes. No one is suggesting that he has them in the same manner Superman does, but he has enough of both to suggest that he won't get overwhelmed by sheer speed. I don't even know where that myth originated from. erm
so do you think hulk would be overwhelmed by sheer speed? do you think anyone in comics would be overwhelmed by sheer speed...because I guarantee you that every established character in comics has impressive speed reaction feats

by that logic, everyone has superspeed and no one will be overwhelmed by speed.


__________________


Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:38 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus
RIP GUY222

Gender: Male
Location: Asgard

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Placidity
Thor vs Hulk was/is a major arc, and he hasn't shown any speed or reaction speed in those fights.


".....There can be no doubt as to who has greater speed!"

(please log in to view the image)

"Huh??! Where he go??"

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Thor can use speed against the Hulk when he has to or wants to.


__________________


Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:40 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus
RIP GUY222

Gender: Male
Location: Asgard

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
anything from this century?

the scan goober posted was a legit speedblitz scan imo, but its a onetime showing from way way too long ago to still hold up without some recent displays

I mean, Sentry, a very new character, already has more demonstrable speed feats than thor



__________________


Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:40 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Gender: Male
Location: Doomstadt

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
so do you think hulk would be overwhelmed by sheer speed? do you think anyone in comics would be overwhelmed by sheer speed...because I guarantee you that every established character in comics has impressive speed reaction feats

by that logic, everyone has superspeed and no one will be overwhelmed by speed.


I do think that speed is often overrated and some posters do believe it translates into instant victory.

As far as Thor's own reflexes and superspeed goes, he has numerous on panel depictions of being able to hit both incredibly fast moving targets as well as move fast on his own. When said instances are brought up, they're usually dismissed as PIS or being "too old" to count when as far as I know, all of his feats are valid, especially since Thor hasn't been retconned or explicitly reduced in power aside from gaining/losing the OF.

The idea that because Thor doesn't explicitly become a blur of motion while traveling or "omgz speedblitz combo to ko" somehow equaling "lawlz, Thor is slow and he's can't people who r fast and shit!" is retarded, plain and simple. It's correct in assuming that Thor isn't know for being a "speedy" kind of character, but completely incorrect to assume that because he doesn't display overt speed feats ala Superman/Sentry/Glads/Other A-Typical Hero types he gets overwhelmed by speed in a forum setting.


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:48 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Cybertron

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I do think that speed is often overrated and some posters do believe it translates into instant victory.

As far as Thor's own reflexes and superspeed goes, he has numerous on panel depictions of being able to hit both incredibly fast moving targets as well as move fast on his own. When said instances are brought up, they're usually dismissed as PIS or being "too old" to count when as far as I know, all of his feats are valid, especially since Thor hasn't been retconned or explicitly reduced in power aside from gaining/losing the OF.

The idea that because Thor doesn't explicitly become a blur of motion while traveling or "omgz speedblitz combo to ko" somehow equaling "lawlz, Thor is slow and he's can't people who r fast and shit!" is retarded, plain and simple. It's correct in assuming that Thor isn't know for being a "speedy" kind of character, but completely incorrect to assume that because he doesn't display overt speed feats ala Superman/Sentry/Glads/Other A-Typical Hero types he gets overwhelmed by speed in a forum setting.
I never said speed would spell instant victory over thor, but I do believe it to be an major and perhaps decisive factor in a hypothetical fight between Superman and Thor under KMC settings

in a comic, no doubt Superman wouldn't even blitz thor...nor would thor use alot of his hammer powers.

but on KMC, thor would use such powers and superman would attempt speedblitzes. would thor be completely overwhelmed...most likely not. but I think superman would gain enough of an edge with his speed to eventually win.

the thing is, comic writers make it very clear who the fast characters are (as you list, ie superman, sentry, gladiator). don't you find it odd that a new character like sentry already is far more established in the speed department than thor is...well, its not odd if you accept that speed isn't thor's strength. yes, he has some reaction feats against speed, and maybe 30 years ago he has some onetime feats of debatable speed, but anyone who reads thor's comics will not claim him to be a speedy character whereas if you read even 2 or 3 of sentry's comics, you know he's damn fast.

that difference doesn't play a huge role in comicbook fights because speed is underrated in comics. On KMC however, I believe speed becomes a much bigger factor.

its for the same reason why hulk never seems to suffer a disadvantage in comics in terms of his mobility, but in a KMC fight, he is obviously outclassed in mobility...wouldn't you agree?


__________________


Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 05:55 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Germany

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
I never said speed would spell instant victory over thor, but I do believe it to be an major and perhaps decisive factor in a hypothetical fight between Superman and Thor under KMC settings

in a comic, no doubt Superman wouldn't even blitz thor...nor would thor use alot of his hammer powers.

but on KMC, thor would use such powers and superman would attempt speedblitzes. would thor be completely overwhelmed...most likely not. but I think superman would gain enough of an edge with his speed to eventually win.

the thing is, comic writers make it very clear who the fast characters are (as you list, ie superman, sentry, gladiator). don't you find it odd that a new character like sentry already is far more established in the speed department than thor is...well, its not odd if you accept that speed isn't thor's strength. yes, he has some reaction feats against speed, and maybe 30 years ago he has some onetime feats of debatable speed, but anyone who reads thor's comics will not claim him to be a speedy character whereas if you read even 2 or 3 of sentry's comics, you know he's damn fast.

that difference doesn't play a huge role in comicbook fights because speed is underrated in comics. On KMC however, I believe speed becomes a much bigger factor.

its for the same reason why hulk never seems to suffer a disadvantage in comics in terms of his mobility, but in a KMC fight, he is obviously outclassed in mobility...wouldn't you agree?


Agreeing would mean accepting defeat.

Excellent post, great points and reasoning.


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:06 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Gender: Male
Location: Doomstadt

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
I never said speed would spell instant victory over thor, but I do believe it to be an major and perhaps decisive factor in a hypothetical fight between Superman and Thor under KMC settings

in a comic, no doubt Superman wouldn't even blitz thor...nor would thor use alot of his hammer powers.

but on KMC, thor would use such powers and superman would attempt speedblitzes. would thor be completely overwhelmed...most likely not. but I think superman would gain enough of an edge with his speed to eventually win.

the thing is, comic writers make it very clear who the fast characters are (as you list, ie superman, sentry, gladiator). don't you find it odd that a new character like sentry already is far more established in the speed department than thor is...well, its not odd if you accept that speed isn't thor's strength. yes, he has some reaction feats against speed, and maybe 30 years ago he has some onetime feats of debatable speed, but anyone who reads thor's comics will not claim him to be a speedy character whereas if you read even 2 or 3 of sentry's comics, you know he's damn fast.

that difference doesn't play a huge role in comicbook fights because speed is underrated in comics. On KMC however, I believe speed becomes a much bigger factor.

its for the same reason why hulk never seems to suffer a disadvantage in comics in terms of his mobility, but in a KMC fight, he is obviously outclassed in mobility...wouldn't you agree?


The problem with what you're saying as far as Superman using speed and Thor using exotic hammer powers is more of a CIS thing than anything. Under forum rules they fight at the best of their ability, yes, but still in character. Thor will brawl more often than not, but his brawling WILL be as good as it ever has been shown outside of an amp or PIS. Likewise, Superman will brawl with some HV or superbreath thrown in, but it WILL be to the best of his ability.

Again the idea that Thor doesn't use superspeed for the purposes of moving very fast in terms of transportation (usually) or fly about a dozen or so fists in a blur equaling he doesn't have superspeed and is disadvantaged against characters with superspeed that use it more overtly than him is ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous when you begin to factor in Thor's skill and other powerset and the fact he's not stupid. I mean, if Thor - for some reason - can't tag a vastly moving target by his preferred (see: wailing with Mjolnir) method, why wouldn't he spin the hammer in a defensive arc as he's been shown to do god knows how many times on panel? Why wouldn't he just start raining lightning bolts around? Why wouldn't he omniblast? By that very same token, if Superman is trading blow for blow with Thor and is feeling the effects of Thor's enchanted weapon, why would Superman just shrug it off and continue to do so instead of changing things up? I'd like to think both characters are smart enough to, y'know, change tactics before they get KOed and I know both are good enough to do so before that happens, anyway.

As far as Hulk goes, he's been alluded or outright stated to have a preternatural ability to hit very fast moving targets. And even he's not so stupid (usually) to repeatedly allow himself to be struck by a moving target without regrouping or thunderclapping or something similar.

It's like people, and it's disturbing to see, honestly believe that combo-to-ko bullshit. That once a fast character begins to strike a character who is slower than him, OH SHIT! The fight's over.


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:08 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Cybertron

so jake, are there any characters you can think of who would get overwhelmed by a speedblitz?


__________________


Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:15 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Gender: Male
Location: Doomstadt

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
so jake, are there any characters you can think of who would get overwhelmed by a speedblitz?


It depends on who and who, obviously. erm


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:16 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Germany

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank

It's like people, and it's disturbing to see, honestly believe that combo-to-ko bullshit. That once a fast character begins to strike a character who is slower than him, OH SHIT! The fight's over.


There is nothing conceptually wrong about "Combo-to-KO", but how it is applied is quite specific to each matchup/battle.

If I had even low-level Superspeed and say we are both average humans with same strength and durability, whats wrong with the theory that if I get the first heavy hit on you, that I couldn't then continue pummeling you til you were out cold? If someone punched you hard in the face, would you be able to immediately retaliate? No, you'd be momentarily stunned, and the chances of recovering is close to none if I repeatedly kept punching you in the head with my super speed.

I think most people's objection to this theory is because it would spell an easy and almost certain defeat against their character in some fights. Again, of course, whether this is viable or not depends on the specific matchup. But for the most part, if the person receiving the super speed blows doesn't have any other powers other than comparable strength and durability, then its not looking good for them.


__________________

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:18 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Cybertron

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
It depends on who and who, obviously. erm
name one herald level character who WOULD be speedblitzed by superman


__________________


Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:18 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kgkg
Vigilante

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
thor is slow that's why. his reaction vs wolverine is a true showcase of his lack of superspeed.
Ok lets say you are correct. This would mean that Thor should lose to all the Superman like characters who have say faster than speed of sound reflex which is hardly the case.

Which is what I said very relevant that many factors are simply ignored or dumbed down in comics.


__________________

Stay Thirsty, My Friends.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:22 AM
kgkg is currently offline Click here to Send kgkg a Private Message Find more posts by kgkg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 07:25 PM.
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » How important are speed and reflexes

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.