KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Mass Forum Merge into the MDF

Do you want to see a mass forum merge?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes. I want a mass forum merge. 39 82.98%
No. The movie sub-forums are fine they way that they are. 6 12.77%
No opinion. 2 4.26%
Total: 47 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mass Forum Merge into the MDF
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

Merging is a good idea, as every time I make a thread about a movie I'm interested in the Movie Forum, some twit like Mildpossession says "there's already a thread in the *insert name* section"; never understood why all movies aren't in one forum, then divided into sub-groups there.

So yes, it's a great idea.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 14th, 2010 at 05:10 PM

Old Post Mar 14th, 2010 05:08 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

One of those little ironies, this, I guess, that there is now this big movement to squeeze everything together to improve quality, whilst years ago it was the reverse.

Fair play, though. Idea sounds good to me.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 14th, 2010 06:21 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
One of those little ironies, this, I guess, that there is now this big movement to squeeze everything together to improve quality, whilst years ago it was the reverse.

And we learned that splitting everything apart did more harm than good.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2010 06:32 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

It's really unnecessary, if you ask me, to have so many sub-forums for so many movie franchises. (The Matrix, Transformers, Indy Jones, POTC, and Terminator.) Again, though, these aren't my areas, so I won't press the issue.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2010 10:54 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I feel that some of the franchises should maintain separate entities if they are still getting traffic... but otherwise yeah, I always thought it was a good idea to establish a section if there were threads that didn't fit anywhere, not because people wanted to have their own little world.

Star Wars would obviously stay separate, but some of the dead subsections should be merged.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2010 11:28 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Star Wars? Defintiely.

Harry Potter? Ask RoguePw25 for an opinion.

Star Trek? We need input from -Pr-.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2010 11:39 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Impediment
Star Wars? Defintiely.

Harry Potter? Ask RoguePw25 for an opinion.

Star Trek? We need input from -Pr-.

the star trek one isn't JUST about the movies, though; it's about the entire franchise.

i'd agree with the merging of most of the forums, though, like horror, sci fi etc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 12:08 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

It's really unnecessary, if you ask me, to have so many sub-forums for so many movie franchises. (The Matrix, Transformers, Indy Jones, POTC, and Terminator.) Again, though, these aren't my areas, so I won't press the issue.

Yeah.
I mean, those movies you mentioned could've been turned into threads, instead of sub-forums.

Look at some examples in the Anime forum perhaps.
There are Naruto fans who discuss everything about the show in "The Official Naruto Thread", and all One Piece fans discuss their stuff in the "One Piece" thread.

Creating sub-forums for a particular franchise is totally unnecessary, imo.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 12:10 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by -Pr-
the star trek one isn't JUST about the movies, though; it's about the entire franchise.

i'd agree with the merging of most of the forums, though, like horror, sci fi etc.

The thing with Star Trek, however, it only has 3k posts. Seems dead as can be.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 12:48 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Mostly it's about relevance now. Most of the franchise threads have come and gone and probably wont be added to any time soon.

Perhaps replacing them with more relevant franchises would be a good idea. An Aliens/Predator section for example. Seeing these will probably have quite a few films added to them over the next few years (for good and bad)

The matrix obviously wont. Can't see Terminator having more either.

One thing to perhaps add is a film making section. I don't know if anyone that posts here makes amateur films or works in the business but it could be good. Even for just people saying there's films being shot close to them...Work as extras going etc...If anyone wants to discuss the technical aspects of films then that can be done there too.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 12:55 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

I have an idea that could liven up the Movie Discussion Forum and get rid of some of the, for lack of a better word, dead movie genre sub-forums:

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Forum, the Animations & CGI Forum, the Foreign Cinema Forum, and the Horror Forum should all be mass moved into the Movie Discussion Forum.

The Horror Forum, like BackFire has already said in agreement with me, has lost most of, if not all of it's regulars who kept it going.

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum is down to a snail's crawl with little activity therein.

The Animations & CGI forum is basically a duplicate forum, in my opinion, since there are duplicate threads in the MDF that I can't keep track of sometimes. The same can, also, be said for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum.

As for the Foreign Cinema forum? Just go look at it's "recent activity" and tell me that it's not dead.

The only movie genre sub-forums that are alive and well are the Anime Forum and, especially, the Anime Versus Forum. I feel that these forums should be left the way they are, and separate from the MDF. That, and Anime discussions, in my opinion, are an all together different type of experience that would be found in the MDF.

I feel that if a mass forum merge happened, then the Movie Discussion Forum would be more active and people would not have to keep sending me PMs about "where should I put this thread I want to make" or "can you tell me where I can find a thread for this film?", and so on and so on.

Also, it would be VERY crucial to teach people on how to effectively use the Search Function to look for already existing threads as to avoid clutter.

Honestly, I really look forward to seeing this happen. Not just from a a moderator's stance, but from a member of KMC, as well. All we need are some positive comments from you, the posters, and wait for Raz to make a decision.

What say you guys? Use the poll I made and comment herein!
Originally posted by BackFire
As said, I support this.
Seeing as the movie forums mods think this is a good idea, I lend my support.

I saw the comments about the Anime/Manga forum. Good call. My only question is the LOTR, Harry Potter, Pirates and Bond forums seem to still get traffic. Would all those forums get absorbed into a general movies forum?

Either way, sounds good to me.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 02:39 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Harry Potter forum is pretty dead at the moment. Only 5 or so threads ever get any posts, and it's always the same few people posting. I'm sure it will kick up around the release dates of the next movies, but after that I think it should be absorbed.

LOTR should be merged now, I think. There's no new content coming from the franchise, except for The Hobbit, which could have it's own thread in the movie forum.

Pirates seems slow. Once again there's only a few topics getting regular posts and mostly they are Love/Hate threads for characters. There's no real discussion going on anymore.

I never venture into the world of Bond, but seeing how they are always coming out with movies, it would be a good bet to keep it separate right now.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 02:47 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by LanceWindu
The thing with Star Trek, however, it only has 3k posts. Seems dead as can be.

it's an incredibly young forum, which has to be considered.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 03:42 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by -Pr-
it's an incredibly young forum, which has to be considered.

I dunno man, rapidly closing in on 2 years, with barely over 3k posts, that screams dead to me.

Just looking at the first page of the Star Trek forum, I can see how slow it is.

Last edited by LanceWindu on Mar 15th, 2010 at 05:30 AM

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 05:27 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I do agree in principle. It's always nice to reduce front page clutter. As I mentioned before when other areas were mooted, it's a bad idea to create new areas just because a handful of people want them. They almost never get the posting that people beforehand say they will.

People try to counter this by saying new areas could be tried on a trial basis only- but that never works. There is never any trial period- they just die off and keep cluttering the page.

Trek is an example of this. The area should not have been made and there is not even remotely the material in there that makes it deserve its own area. The Doctor Who/Torchwood franchise has not far off as many posts as Trek, but the shows are perfectly happy with a thread apiece in the TV area. That is far more sensible- and besides which, it means there are none of those senseless posts of no value that people post when a section has its own area just to fill space.

I think a similar mindset created many of the movie sub-areas, like Foreign Cinema.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 15th, 2010 at 08:39 AM

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 08:34 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Pirates seems slow. Once again there's only a few topics getting regular posts and mostly they are Love/Hate threads for characters. There's no real discussion going on anymore.

I agree, and I'm a regular on it. Although, with the upcoming new movie, maybe let it sit for a while?

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 12:32 PM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TxG
Evil Genius

You have my vote. I'm all for it.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 01:52 PM
TxG is currently offline Click here to Send TxG a Private Message Find more posts by TxG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
I agree, and I'm a regular on it. Although, with the upcoming new movie, maybe let it sit for a while?

I don't see why it can't have a dedicated thread in the MDF for the series and discussion for the new movie can go in there. A lot of the "fanboy/fangirl" following has dropped off after the 3rd movie since it wasn't nearly as good as the first movie.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 04:18 PM
Jaeh
Possibly here.

I don't see why it can't have a dedicated thread in the MDF for the series and discussion for the new movie can go in there. A lot of the "fanboy/fangirl" following has dropped off after the 3rd movie since it wasn't nearly as good as the first movie.

Point taken.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 10:13 PM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I'm all for it.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 11:58 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote