KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Tournament Discussion Thread

Tournament Discussion Thread
Started by: Badabing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i'd prefer it that way, however, if everyone WANTS it opened to low meta, i'd be more than fine with that. i'm just offering to host. i'll host whatever level is agreed upon, though the format would be the same as i mentioned.

if 6 people can decide on a level and sign up i'll host. simple as.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 01:03 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

I guess it depends on the nature of their powers.

I mean, Batgirl's body reading and Taskmasters photgraphic reflexes might be seen as powers by some (although imo, they're not really powers in the same sense as X), but then those aren't exactly match ending techniques like move reading telepathy...

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 01:05 AM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Has anyone ever done a prep battle tournament? Like pure prep, more like a chess match than a fight (though a fight could be one dimension of the tournament).

That would probably become horrifying to compete in or judge.

I mean, the one tourney I have been in we were given 10 mins of prep, and things still became quite insane even with that small limit.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 01:07 AM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Originally posted by leonidas
i'd prefer it that way, however, if everyone WANTS it opened to low meta, i'd be more than fine with that. i'm just offering to host. i'll host whatever level is agreed upon, though the format would be the same as i mentioned.

if 6 people can decide on a level and sign up i'll host. simple as.
how bout 1 or 2 street levelers and one iron man level character?

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 01:09 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

only problem with that it that the street guys often become redundant. if i'm hosting, it will be something where all charaters are evenly leveled.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 01:37 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Amalgam or a team of three? I have a low level meta amalgam I have been toying with the idea of using for a while (no prep needed. Yes. You read that correctly. I said no prep needed). If it does not pan out with the rules here, I am still willing to use it in a battlezone. If anyone is interested PM me. Might not happen for a while, but might as well see if there is someone who wants to do a battlezone (if the tournament does not pan out)

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 02:29 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

cocky bastard

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 02:42 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

I'm hosting a minority tourny, where comic characters can't be from the United States...and possibly Canada shifty

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 03:20 AM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by psycho gundam
cocky bastard

How so? The only reason I said I would not need prep is because the characters have no need for it. That and most seem to define me as someone who uses prep as a crutch. Thus, I've been thinking about several teams for a while that do not need much prep. The one I am thinking about in particular fits the low meta level.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 03:42 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Originally posted by Blair Wind
How so? The only reason I said I would not need prep is because the characters have no need for it. That and most seem to define me as someone who uses prep as a crutch. Thus, I've been thinking about several teams for a while that do not need much prep. The one I am thinking about in particular fits the low meta level.

Originally posted by psycho gundam
cocky bastard

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 03:43 AM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Hmm...

I was thinking about an elimination tournament. Each person would draft 4-6 characters (street to low meta) and participate in blind draw matches (you'd know who your opponent was and who they had on their roster, but not which 2 characters they'd be using in the match).

With a loss one of the two characters used in the match would be forfeited to the victor's roster. Participants would be eliminated when their roster was depleted to 1 character .

No prep. No amalgamations. Just run n' gun.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 03:49 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I like leo's idea of keeping it strictly to street level and making teams smaller. Sort of a minimalist tourney with just 2 to a team, little or no prep, and some punchy-style debate.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 04:54 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Meh. I'd prefer to open it up to allow for low power levels, but it'd be k either way.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 05:55 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Original Smurph
Meh. I'd prefer to open it up to allow for low power levels, but it'd be k either way.

Seconded. Having some kind of power (even the low level kind), opens up tons more avenues than everyone wanting simply martial artists for the street level.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 06:05 PM
Smurph
------

To keep things simple and fast, just disallow prep time. To keep things interesting, allow up to, say, Spider-Man level powers.

That'd be my idea anyways.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 06:09 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

If that's what you guys vote for, then cool. But it would no longer be a street tourney in any sense. Sans prep, there probably isn't a street-leveler who should be drafted over many low metas. I agree it opens things up...I just liked the simplicity of street for the sake of something different. In all KMC's tourneys, there's never been a truly street-level tournament.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 06:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Digi
In all KMC's tourneys, there's never been a truly street-level tournament.
There's probably a reason for that. stick out tongue

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 06:42 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Meh. There was a time when Spider-Man was considered "street". At the time it seemed fairly legitimate, it's just by the new narrow definitions that they don't fall under the category.

I'd rather have a tourney where every debate didn't feel exactly the same though, and that's what I'm fearing if it's solely no powers.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 06:43 PM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Spinning Monkey Palm ftw.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 07:13 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Original Smurph
Meh. There was a time when Spider-Man was considered "street". At the time it seemed fairly legitimate, it's just by the new narrow definitions that they don't fall under the category.

I'd rather have a tourney where every debate didn't feel exactly the same though, and that's what I'm fearing if it's solely no powers.

I guess I just get a kick out of the idea that every match will be a variation on "no, I punch you harder and faster." I smile when I think of it.

In either scenario, I'd vote to keep it to small teams, little or no prep, no amalgams, etc. Again, I think we've done cosmic omni-busters to death...you would know that better than most. And even the few low meta tourneys ended up being insane either due to amalgams or battle locations, or both. It's fun, yes, but we honestly have no idea what a more subdued tourney would look like, or what kinds of teams/debaters it would favor. I wouldn't mind finding out.

Originally posted by Galan007
There's probably a reason for that. stick out tongue

'cuz ya'll are scared.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 08:05 PM