KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Tournament Discussion Thread

Tournament Discussion Thread
Started by: Badabing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by illadelph12
Hmm...

I was thinking about an elimination tournament. Each person would draft 4-6 characters (street to low meta) and participate in blind draw matches (you'd know who your opponent was and who they had on their roster, but not which 2 characters they'd be using in the match).

With a loss one of the two characters used in the match would be forfeited to the victor's roster. Participants would be eliminated when their roster was depleted to 1 character .

No prep. No amalgamations. Just run n' gun.
this

catching other people's pokemon sounds great too.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 08:22 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

all right, low meta it is.

--teams of 3.

--the 3 characters will be subject to my okay--and i'm NOT the forgiving type when it comes to this issue

--competitor will have have the choice of amalgamating his characters or keeping them as individuals or a combo of the 2. this decision CAN be changed from match to match.

--i'm considering a redraft scenario since i think it adds some excitement but not sure if i'll go after each match or after the first rd is finished.

--10secs of prep of RELATIVE PREP--ZERO TOLERANCE

--reverse-order drafting in second rd, first-come, first-serve in rd3

--looking for 6 people seriously interested. i'm going to go ahead and say for the sake of argument that we have the following:

1. smurph
2. bw
3. digi (you KNOW you want to kick ass with parker . . . big grin )
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

3 high quality debators. be great to get 3 more of similar quality.

--format again: 2 pools of three, rd robin format. top 2 advance to x-over semi-final and top 2 to the final.

Last edited by leonidas on Mar 22nd, 2010 at 08:28 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 08:26 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

I would be interested, but it depends when you're planning on doing it, as my A level exams start in May and carry on till mid June, and I need to focus on those for awhile...

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 09:08 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

****, am I officially signed on for this?!

Originally posted by leonidas

Pfft.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 09:33 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I just realized I can resurrect a amalgam I conceived back in probably '05

BEHOLD!

(please log in to view the image)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8729/megaballz2.jpg

MEGABALLZ!

...of course, Mega Man probably isn't allowed, and I forget who the 3rd component was...someone who gave him that color scheme. Cue Ball or 8-Ball or some D-list villain sh*t.

Still. Forewarned poozers.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 09:55 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Digi back in a tournament? Awesome smile

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Last edited by Blair Wind on Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 10:13 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Smh...

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2010 11:29 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

I'm in purely for the sake of funsmile

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2010 10:12 AM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
I would be interested, but it depends when you're planning on doing it, as my A level exams start in May and carry on till mid June, and I need to focus on those for awhile...

Same with my senior thesis\degree exams (hope I described that graduational shite right in its American analogues). Anyways, I don't care, I compete purely for fun and I'm going to present a bit tweaked to fit in with comics-only format version of the dreaded Beyotch of Fire.

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2010 10:16 AM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Guys, tourneys are long things. We'll all have something crop at some point. But as long as it won't keep you away from a computer for literally weeks at a time, it can be dealt with. If you want to enter, enter.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2010 05:14 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Digi
Guys, tourneys are long things. We'll all have something crop at some point. But as long as it won't keep you away from a computer for literally weeks at a time, it can be dealt with. If you want to enter, enter.

this. and hopefully the tourney WON'T actually go very long. draft will begin as soon as i get a sixth player.

1. smurph
2. bw
3. digi
4. omega
5. cdb
6. ???

someone step up already! mad

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2010 08:46 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

and banned characters so far include sabes and jakita wagner (who is really misplaced on that tier thread . . .) i'll also pre-emptively ban ambrose chase, much as i would LOVE to see him used in a tourney . . . sad

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2010 08:49 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

At least give us a day or two notice once you find a 6th please. I'm not gonna do a "ZOMG ZERG!" of the draft thread, but I currently don't even have an idea for a team. That can be remedied very quickly, but a draft in, say, 2 hours would undoubtedly hurt some chances of people who aren't ready to draft.

Also, ban Gideon and similar power sets. Also, what's going to be the ruling on power amplifiers, since I know there's a few low-level muties floating around with such powers?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2010 11:26 PM
Smurph
------

Can we get a general list of banned powers?

I too have few team ideas, but I can work on that basically after tomorrow night, unless some fantastic team inspiration comes to me before then while I'm trying to crack this philosphy assignment.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 12:09 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

general tourney rules will apply. gideon is NOT low meta. no power copying, speed is capped at quicksilver level but that speed advantage does NOT grant any advantage in prep--not even in thinking speed. no time manip, no reality manip. matter manip directly on the opponent. none of that should really be an issue given the level of this thing.

and of course, no loopholes. seriously. my goal was to try and have a tourney where the winner was based more on who debated the best, as opposed to gimmicky characters and/or equipment/tech.

as far as tech limits--think mr terrific's standard gear.

no tp ohk, no mentally controlling opponents. tk is capped at about classic cable level at the very outside.

the standard stuff, pretty much. everyone in this thing should be familiar with the basics. any direct questions, pm me. any character concerns pm me BEFORE you choose them.

and digi--no worries on the draft. you'll have a day or 2. i'm trying to round up some judges as well. any volunteers?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 12:27 AM
Smurph
------

Classic Quicksilver (Mach 1)?

Modern Quicksilver can run around the world in a few panels...

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 12:30 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

yes, classic QS.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 12:40 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

to those involved--i could easily run a rd robin with just 5 competitors. 5 solid debators still makes for a good tourney. i could give the sign up til say, sat, then say the draft happens sat night if we don't get a sixth.

i know steam runs out of these if delays crop up. i'd rather go ahead with 5 interested people the hold out for too long just waiting for a sixth.

if you'd all agree to that of course. otherwise, we wait and see if we can grab a 6th. anyone heard from goob? i'd have thought he'd love a chance to whoop some ass with cap . . .

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 12:44 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

1. You may want to start PMing potential judges. You can never start too early with that, or have too many.

2. Is Mr. Terrific low meta? I guess it was with prep in exotic battlefields, but I remember I think Blair doing some insane sh*t with him in that tourney delph ran on the other website.

Classic QS is also listed as mid meta on the tiers list. I probably don't have an issue with him at this level, but I wanted to point it out.

3. Also, let's hold out for 6 another day or two at least. Two groups of 3 sounds much more fun for some reason.

4. Lastly, make a thread for this leo. This is pretty much official now, and deserves its own.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 24th, 2010 at 01:36 AM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 01:31 AM
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by leonidas
all right, low meta it is.

--teams of 3.

--the 3 characters will be subject to my okay--and i'm NOT the forgiving type when it comes to this issue

--competitor will have have the choice of amalgamating his characters or keeping them as individuals or a combo of the 2. this decision CAN be changed from match to match.

--i'm considering a redraft scenario since i think it adds some excitement but not sure if i'll go after each match or after the first rd is finished.

--10secs of prep of RELATIVE PREP--ZERO TOLERANCE

--reverse-order drafting in second rd, first-come, first-serve in rd3

--looking for 6 people seriously interested. i'm going to go ahead and say for the sake of argument that we have the following:

1. smurph
2. bw
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

3 high quality debators. be great to get 3 more of similar quality.

--format again: 2 pools of three, rd robin format. top 2 advance to x-over semi-final and top 2 to the final.
Very cool. I'm glad this thread panned out.

I guess make your own tourny discussion thread if you want.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 01:32 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote