KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Tournament Discussion Thread

Tournament Discussion Thread
Started by: Badabing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
I don't think that would work, the only logical decision is pretty much to pick a tech guy for the low end.

I'm thinking of a tourney, where some sort of randomization or other factors leads to you getting a team partially different from what you drafted, and someone else getting part of yours etc.

While interesting not everyone has the same access to comics as others. Getting picks you did not want would make everyone unhappy in the end. I wouldn't participate, personally speaking, because I take drafting choices a lot more serious than most.

This happened once before, but I think that partnering between all contestants for one match each is still an interesting idea - random selection as to who gets teamed up for one match and then winners get re-aligned again. Then your partner from the last match can be your enemy in the next match.

Forces you to use team-work and still keep secrets to yourself. Strategy, team-work, hidden tactics, and shrewdness all in one tournament.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 01:14 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Omega Vision
How about a tourney where you have to create a composite team consisting of one street-leveler, one low meta, and one High Meta-Low Herald?
I actually really like this idea.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 01:17 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

That's bad. Usually, the street level character and low meta will have little to no impact on the match unless they get prep

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 01:59 AM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by xJLxKing
That's bad. Usually, the street level character and low meta will have little to no impact on the match unless they get prep

A variation could be that you have no access to your high level character until the proverbial ding of the bell, while you get some prep time with your other characters.

Or something.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 02:06 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

My plan for a tourney was building random situations before hand, randomly select them among fighters and pit them against each other without previous knowledge of the situations. For example, you could have a combat in which powers are automatically off, others in which speed is capped at human reaction, where the weaker you are, the stronger you are etc.

It was a crazy, uneven and pushy idea, but it could lead to funny drafts.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 03:35 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by Bentley
My plan for a tourney was building random situations before hand, randomly select them among fighters and pit them against each other without previous knowledge of the situations. For example, you could have a combat in which powers are automatically off, others in which speed is capped at human reaction, where the weaker you are, the stronger you are etc.

It was a crazy, uneven and pushy idea, but it could lead to funny drafts.

I want to do that. I want to make a tourney where people go in completely blind when the date comes. Don't know what team their opponent has, where the battle takes place, or who they'll face.

That means they'll have to debate purely on the merits of their own strategy, and can't prep against the opponents, and it encourages solid rounded choices.

Obviously, the picks would be posted, but you wouldn't know who picked what until you were actually in a match.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 04:14 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

I want to do that. I want to make a tourney where people go in completely blind when the date comes. Don't know what team their opponent has, where the battle takes place, or who they'll face.

That means they'll have to debate purely on the merits of their own strategy, and can't prep against the opponents, and it encourages solid rounded choices.

Obviously, the picks would be posted, but you wouldn't know who picked what until you were actually in a match.
I like the idea.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 04:33 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

We've done that before once or twice. It involves a ton of PM drafts to the organiser, so whoever runs it needs to have patience and time to spare.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 04:48 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by Scoobless
We've done that before once or twice. It involves a ton of PM drafts to the organiser, so whoever runs it needs to have patience and time to spare.

Something similar to that was done in DGs tourney (where drafts were anonymous), but once everything was drafted the amalgams were revealed, and you knew who was facing who. In Leo's tourney, iirc, you didn't know who would face who, but you did know who had what pick. So I don't think there's been anything totally anonymized yet.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 05:22 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Anonymization - You know you want it!

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 05:46 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Scoobless
Anonymization - You know you want it!
Welcome back!

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 01:12 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Yeah, one of the tourneys I hosted featured anonymous drafts. I'd post who was picked, but not who picked them or who else they were paired with. Potentially fun for participants. Awful for the host.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 04:58 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by xJLxKing
Not true at all. I can think of plenty of low metas who would make a high meta or low herald much more formidable with amalgamation.

Besides, I think all the fun would be in finding what low powered tweaks you can give your guy to maximize damage. Like normal tourney amalgams, but less potential for insanity, and closer competition.

Good stuff.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 05:02 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Yep, sounds like problems for the host. Maybe sending the initial prep before knowing their opponent would be an addition to the general idea?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 05:03 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Original Smurph
Not true at all. I can think of plenty of low metas who would make a high meta or low herald much more formidable with amalgamation.

Besides, I think all the fun would be in finding what low powered tweaks you can give your guy to maximize damage. Like normal tourney amalgams, but less potential for insanity, and closer competition.

Good stuff.

The way I envision the tourney going is you have a choice between a certain amount of prep time or amalgamation but you can't have both. That way you can't do something crazy like amalgamate Batman with Marvel Ares and Classic Quicksilver and give the resulting amalgamation all of Bruce's standard gear and a half hour's prep time.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 08:15 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Meh. Prep leads to insanity. I like the idea more of just giving a limited amount of prep, and then allowing for a three character amalgam consisting of one higher tier and two lowers. Maybe even two low metas, rather than one low meta and one street.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 09:32 PM
-K-M-

Originally posted by Original Smurph
Meh. Prep leads to insanity.

thumb up

One of the main reasons I don't enter tournys

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 09:43 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by -K-M-
thumb up

One of the main reasons I don't enter tournys

Everyone uses your respect threads, so in a way you do enter them.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 10:03 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Everyone uses your respect threads, so in a way you do enter them.
People poaching his scans =/= to him entering a tourney.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 10:24 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

^ yeah, might as well skip the middle man and say the writers/artists entered also

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 10:26 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote