KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Congress clears historic health care bill

Congress clears historic health care bill
Started by: Moscow

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
This also is totally ignorant of the global markets where national debt is traded between states FOR PROFIT. debt is a commodity now, which ties nation's economies together, making it less likely that this debt would ever forcibly be collected.

I just read something in Newsweek about that. Crazy. The idea that on a national scale all money is really debt is probably the most counter-intuitive realization since relativity.

is our debt still worse than yours? I thought we had done something about that, but I might be thinking the trade defecit...

And like, obviously I agree with your point, America has more money than God and currently dictates global fiscal policy to all but, what, 3 nations/blocks? Globalization is almost like MAD in that way, debt for developed nations is kind of a joke. Has it hurt the American economy? Well, I can't say it has helped, but health care is going to be used as a scapegoat for the real economic problems that exist in America, and clearly no administration is going to address how the corporate system of international capitalism creates joblessness or what have you. That aside, debt will allow America to develop needed infrastructure to address issues that aren't economic in nature, and given that China and other world powers can't collect on the debt if America can't pay (their economies are so entangled that they wouldn't want to either), its kind of in everyones best interest.

From any rational standpoint, the American economy needs some restructuring, and probably is too consumption based for its own good. obviously I'm not going to be too upset when the richest can't wipe their asses with 20 dollar bills.

Ha, reminds me of climate change. It's going to be a huge problem if we don't start preparing for it but there's no chance of it killing us all tomorrow.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:48 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

god, its evolved to list form...

It's pretty amazing.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:49 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Be honest with us and yourself. There is only one true solution to social problems from a purely conservative/libertarian/objectivist standpoint and that's autogenocide. No mainstream conservative is willing or intellectually honest enough to admit it but they all know it's true. Is that something you support?

Perhaps from an objectivist standpoint. However I'm fairly certain that libertarians and conservatives have an awareness that deciding to kill the poor will damage their own standing, at least until we develop super robots.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:51 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by Moscow
How is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard? A look back at successive administrative policies towards these programs after FDR confirms it.

Your claim is that we aren't doing as good as Euro countries because we have too many entitlements. Since those countries offer more entitlements, that argument is incredibly nonsensical and does not support your point at all.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:52 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Perhaps from an objectivist standpoint. However I'm fairly certain that libertarians and conservatives have an awareness that deciding to kill the poor will damage their own standing, at least until we develop super robots.
It's not killing the poor. It's refusing to stop them from dying and hastening and profiting from their deaths by contracting social services to for-profit corporations who are motivated to deny the services they are contracted to provide. The Republicans call it privitzation, the Democrats call it reform. Both act like it's a new idea. The fascists called it third-way economics and instituted it specifically to give the illusion of providing services to society's "undesirables" while really neglecting them to death.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:54 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moscow
Gunblade Wielder

Because they kicked the can down the road when they created these entitlement programs, and then they continued to put their hands in the cookie jar and leave behind IOUs

This is what I said,

Originally posted by King Kandy

Your claim is that we aren't doing as good as Euro countries because we have too many entitlements. Since those countries offer more entitlements, that argument is incredibly nonsensical and does not support your point at all.

and this is what you say.

With Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid I am quite aware that other countries have more entitlements than we do. I
said that we kicked the can down the road with these programs, and we continued to bilk them instead of actively funding them, and we left behind IOUs. The Baby Boomers have more bodies than their succeeding generations, which means there won't be a greater workload to fund these entitlements. It's a $50-70 trillion deficit.

Your response is nonsensical. I am not quite sure why you are attacking me.

Currently: With my reserve money, I buy a hotdog. Foul tasting shit, but Zell eats it right up. Then he, Selphie and I talk with his mother

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:57 AM
Moscow is currently offline Click here to Send Moscow a Private Message Find more posts by Moscow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by Darth Jello
It's not killing the poor. It's refusing to stop them from dying and hastening and profiting from their deaths by contracting social services to for-profit corporations who are motivated to deny the services they are contracted to provide. The Republicans call it privitzation, the Democrats call it reform. Both act like it's a new idea. The fascists called it third-way economics and instituted it specifically to give the illusion of providing services to society's "undesirables" while really neglecting them to death.

Speaking of which did you hear about how Texas privatized prisons have been lobbying the government into sending Haitian illegals there permanently without access to lawyers, since it's illegal to send them back to Haiti? That's the kind of shit that happens when you privatize things that are the government's job. One Haitian got sent to prison for being kidnapped because he didn't come legally and is going to be in prison as long as they can keep him.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:58 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

This is what I said,

and this is what you say.

With Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid I am quite aware that other countries have more entitlements than we do. I
said that we kicked the can down the road with these programs, and we continued to bilk them instead of actively funding them, and we left behind IOUs. The Baby Boomers have more bodies than their succeeding generations, which means there won't be a greater workload to fund these entitlements. It's a $50-70 trillion deficit.

Your response is nonsensical. I am not quite sure why you are attacking me.

OK, I thought what you were trying to say is that we needed to cut entitlement benefits, which would have not really answered the question.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:59 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Speaking of which did you hear about how Texas privatized prisons have been lobbying the government into sending Haitian illegals there permanently without access to lawyers, since it's illegal to send them back to Haiti? That's the kind of shit that happens when you privatize things that are the government's job. One Haitian got sent to prison for being kidnapped because he didn't come legally and is going to be in prison as long as they can keep him.
You realize that with a year and a half of research and production, Monsanto can kill 75% of the US population in a week?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 05:00 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moscow
Gunblade Wielder

OK, I thought what you were trying to say is that we needed to cut entitlement benefits, which would have not really answered the question.

No worries, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Currently: With my reserve money, I buy a hotdog. Foul tasting shit, but Zell eats it right up. Then he, Selphie and I talk with his mother

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 05:01 AM
Moscow is currently offline Click here to Send Moscow a Private Message Find more posts by Moscow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

There's lots of arguing and big text, going on.

Flat tax - if it's high enough with some level of exemptions for the poor, it would create a large increase for the "rich" and a decrease for the "poor" and little change to the "middle class." The idea that a flat tax is silly, is silly. The idea that it would decrease the taxes on the rich, is silly. It would increase the taxes on the rich, if it's high enough.

There's way too many flavors of the "flat tax" to make any sort of legitimate criticism for or against it. You first must specify which version you hate, then explain why you hate it.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 01:33 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
There's lots of arguing and big text, going on.

Flat tax - if it's high enough with some level of exemptions for the poor, it would create a large increase for the "rich" and a decrease for the "poor" and little change to the "middle class."

But at this point why both calling it a flat tax at all? You're taxing everyone differently based on their income.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 03:55 PM
Bardock42

But at this point why both calling it a flat tax at all? You're taxing everyone differently based on their income.

Well, it is a flat tax, as opposed to a progressive tax, because the tax rate is the same regardless of income (excluding the exemption). So the term is right, one will however have to specify what they are talking about, just as with progressive tax, just that that's the standard in the US, I believe, so you just talk about raising or lowering taxes, without specifying that it is progressive tax you are talking about, which is also why people who propose a flat tax system have to specify that as it is not the standard.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 04:49 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

A flat tax with an exemption is what it is.

That's just one of many different forms.

Some suggest a straight up, flat tax, by a percentage, regardless. No one is equal. But, as inimalist pointed out, that's rather stupid because out of the $1000 that the poor family of four brings home each month, $150 would cut directly into that families ability to simply survive. Whereas, the single person that brings home $1,000,000 a mont, has to pay a HUGE amount of $15,000 a month, but that $15,000 doesn't even come close to cutting into his or her ability to obtain shelter and food.

Enter the flat tax compromise for the poor.

It's really hard to do a flat tax.

However, if the flat tax is around long enough, the people will adjust and the family of four will either die, increase their wages, or option C: stay the same.

I was reading about a "negative" flat tax system. I don't quite understand that, but it's supposed to bridge the gap and get rid of health care. Could someone educate me more on that type of system?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 05:47 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The way that works as far as I understand is that rather than setting an exemption you have a minimum starting point and everything under that point you get some tax money, basically as welfare back.

I don't understand how it would get rid of health care, but it would grant some sort of welfare to poorer people, so I guess they could afford more private health care, however I don't see how it solves the real problem.

I drew a little picture the way I understand it:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 06:02 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by dadudemon
A flat tax with an exemption is what it is.

That's just one of many different forms.

Some suggest a straight up, flat tax, by a percentage, regardless. No one is equal. But, as inimalist pointed out, that's rather stupid because out of the $1000 that the poor family of four brings home each month, $150 would cut directly into that families ability to simply survive. Whereas, the single person that brings home $1,000,000 a mont, has to pay a HUGE amount of $15,000 a month, but that $15,000 doesn't even come close to cutting into his or her ability to obtain shelter and food.

Enter the flat tax compromise for the poor.

It's really hard to do a flat tax.

However, if the flat tax is around long enough, the people will adjust and the family of four will either die, increase their wages, or option C: stay the same.

I was reading about a "negative" flat tax system. I don't quite understand that, but it's supposed to bridge the gap and get rid of health care. Could someone educate me more on that type of system?

They should just get rid of income tax and replace it with a government that doesn't need so much money.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 06:40 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ushomefree

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 07:18 PM
ushomefree is currently offline Click here to Send ushomefree a Private Message Find more posts by ushomefree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

ushomefree: could you reply to anything I've said about debt?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 07:18 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by ushomefree

Can't you speak for yourself?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 07:19 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ushomefree

quote:

ushomefree: could you reply to anything I've said about debt?

What did you say man? I'm not ignoring you or anything. What's up?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 07:26 PM
ushomefree is currently offline Click here to Send ushomefree a Private Message Find more posts by ushomefree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote