KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Character Respect Forum » King Leonidas I of Sparta

King Leonidas I of Sparta
Started by: Snafu the Great

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

King Leonidas I of Sparta

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)
Richard Egan (from The 300 Spartans) and Gerard Butler (from 300) as King Leonidas.

The 300 Spartans was the first movie to ever portray the Battle of Thermopylae. It was from this movie that Frank Miller got his inspiration for his own comic, 300 which also tells the story about the throwdown at the Hot Gates.

Just about anybody who is a military man or a historian has heard about King Leonidas, his 300 Spartan warriors, and the Battle of Thermopylae. Here's a quick version.

1. The Persians invade Greece under Xerxes the Great with the intention of burning Athens to the ground as payback from their first failed invasion under Darius the Great. They try to recruit the Spartans as allies, but fail miserably.

2. History-wise, Leonidas consults the Oracle, who tells him this: either Sparta burns to the ground, or all of Sparta will morn the death of a descandant of Heracles (Hercules), and the city will be saved. Leonidas claims ancestry from Hercules (who was a founding Spartan - seriously). In 300, Leonidas is forbidden to attack due to a religious festival.

3. Leonidas hand picks 300 of his best soldiers, but only those who fathered sons, and march off to their destiny. They are joined by soldiers from other Greek states.

4. Battle of Thermopylae. The Persians parley with the Spartans, who refuses their offer to surrender. Xerxes throws everything at the Spartans, and gets pwned for the next three days. His huge numbers are a major disadvantage in tight quarters.

5. Ephilates screws over the Spartans and their buddies by telling Xerxes about a hidden goat path, and Xerxes' forces surround the Spartans and are slaughtered to the last man. But they end up losing the war.

You should check out the original. It's pretty good and Egan does a good job in playing the Spartan king.

Chuck Norris learned his trademark move, along with his sense of duty and justice, from Jesus after watching Him roundhouse kick a money changer out of the temple.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2010 04:39 PM
Snafu the Great is currently offline Click here to Send Snafu the Great a Private Message Find more posts by Snafu the Great Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gojira

You're forgetting the other soldiers.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2010 05:25 PM
Gojira is currently offline Click here to Send Gojira a Private Message Find more posts by Gojira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Gojira
You're forgetting the other soldiers.

I was in a rush when I typed this. Had to cook lunch.

Chuck Norris learned his trademark move, along with his sense of duty and justice, from Jesus after watching Him roundhouse kick a money changer out of the temple.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2010 05:52 PM
Snafu the Great is currently offline Click here to Send Snafu the Great a Private Message Find more posts by Snafu the Great Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote