KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Godzilla (2014)

Godzilla (2014)
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (35): « First ... « 31 32 [33] 34 35 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

The action scenes with Godzilla were pretty good, he was portrayed as powerful as imposing without sacrificing the MUTOs against him. I also think that the final battle in Godzilla is better than the action scenes in Pacific Rim. But Pacific Rim had a much better paced action than Godzilla, more coreography and more of an identity when it came to kaiju fights.

Sadly I must agree that the plot is not enough about Goji to be just named "Godzilla", a shared title for the film such as Godzilla vs MUTOs would've made more sense of the plot we saw. But that's marketing for you I'm afraid. In the end, it remains very true to the franchise where Godzilla is not always the epicenter of the action.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 10th, 2014 08:39 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Hope they go batshit crazy in the opposing monster/s design for the sequel.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2014 08:49 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I just hope that next time Godzilla gets over his camera shyness and we don't get saddled with a Human Piece of Wood.as out "Main Human Element"

Old Post Jun 10th, 2014 05:02 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The human element in this sort of movies have always been poor.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 05:34 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
The human element in this sort of movies have always been poor.

Not in all movies but certainly in most of them. It's rarely the main attraction anyways, which hurts the overall structure of those movies that rely in the Human element for most of the films.

I think that all things considered the humans weren't that bad here... I was probably just expecting worse. I'll rewatch the movie when I buy the DVD.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 08:05 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Michaelporatas

What change?

Originally posted by WanderingDroid
Kaiju FTW!!!!!

Change means US President Position will be change right...

Old Post Jun 11th, 2014 11:55 AM
Michaelporatas is currently offline Click here to Send Michaelporatas a Private Message Find more posts by Michaelporatas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Looks like Toho has loosen up their control

Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah to appear in Godzilla sequels

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...godzilla-sequel

Old Post Jul 27th, 2014 06:26 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Maybe we'll get a full 2 minutes of Mothra.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jul 27th, 2014 08:17 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Writer Max Borenstein scripting the sequel

http://screenrant.com/godzilla-2-writer-max-borenstein/

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 09:04 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

The main problem with Godzilla is the characters. I understand not focusing entirely on the monster for the film's run time, as Cloverfield did, but the difference is Cloverfield had interesting characters to focus on. The characters in Godzilla may have just as well been cardboard cut-outs. When the main character's brother dies in CF, we see how this traumatizes him and motivates him to save his GF. In Godzilla, Brody doesn't react at all to his father's death. It's like after Cranston died the writers forgot he was ever in the film. Compare to Pacific Rim (which I liked more than GZ14) where Yancy's death is the clear emotional motivator for Raleigh throughout the film, and other PR characters who had clear motivations, emotions, and just a general sense of dimensionality to them. Compare Serizawa from the 54' film, where he sacrificed his life, to this film where he spouts exposition and Confucian philosophies about nature. Hell, compare to Edward's earlier film Monsters, which had an excellent character arc and love story to go along with it's kaiju plot, with this one and it's 1D stock character stereotypes.

And I understand that many of the 70's era GZ films had the same formula as this film, but most of those films are Sy-Fy level B-movies only enjoyable because of the iconography of Godzilla. It was rather hard to get invested in GZ14 when none of the characters really were.

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 10:56 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

thumb up

I watched this movie for the first time last night. It was shit.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 10:59 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

TBH, even the 1998 Godzilla (which admittedly I enjoy, even just on a guilty pleasure level) was better in terms of characters. I could buy that a nerdy guy like Nick Greekname, or some blonde reporter like his girlfriend could actually exist and react to the situation the way they did. They at least had some dimensionality and character to them. With GZ14, SIRI would have been a more emotive and interesting protagonist.

And I don't blame Taylor-Johnson for the blandness of his character as some reviewers do. The script simply failed to deliver any kind of interesting motivation to the character.

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 11:10 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Lestov16

And I understand that many of the 70's era GZ films had the same formula as this film, but most of those films are Sy-Fy level B-movies only enjoyable because of the iconography of Godzilla. It was rather hard to get invested in GZ14 when none of the characters really were.

Even some of the characters in those old Godzilla movies were better too

And I don't blame Taylor-Johnson for the blandness of his character as some reviewers do. The script simply failed to deliver any kind of interesting motivation to the character.

One comment that i came across over at comicbookmovie.com to do with Taylor-Johnson character he's a soldier and he's trained to not be all that emotionally-available and then there's the backstory with his mother's death, (and how he tells his father that he "doesn't want to hear about it" in regards to his father's guilt over her death) helps explain why he's not exactly the type of person to emote all that much

something about it being natural for that character

i know the movie wasn't perfect but i still enjoyed it for what it was.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:05 PM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I would give it a 6.5/10 at best, as every scene with the monsters was good as was the climatic battle, but the 1d characters did not fill the void made by the lack of monster screentime, and their blandness and them cheering on Godzilla at the end killed the realistic atmosphere the film was trying to build.

I've heard that too and not only do I not buy it but even if so, that is the fault of the writers that they made his character a wood plank instead of interesting.

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:11 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

This new writer better be good because they've got him tapped for the King Kong origin story & the pilot for Steven Spielberg’s Minority Report TV series among other projects

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:14 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

TBH, even the 1998 Godzilla (which admittedly I enjoy, even just on a guilty pleasure level) was better in terms of characters. I could buy that a nerdy guy like Nick Greekname, or some blonde reporter like his girlfriend could actually exist and react to the situation the way they did. They at least had some dimensionality and character to them. With GZ14, SIRI would have been a more emotive and interesting protagonist.

Aw, hell naw.

The 2014 version may be not very good in my opinion, but it still blows the previous American Godzilla clear out of the water. The 1998 version was terrible on every conceivable level, while the new one at least had a great first act with Bryan Cranston and the final fight was cool, if underwhelming for me. The characters in 2014 were boring outside of Cranston, but the characters in 98 were irritating shmucks.

Last edited by Nephthys on Sep 19th, 2014 at 01:24 PM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:20 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

It's the same guy who wrote this film. TBF, multiple people polished the script for this film, which explains why it feels so manufactured.

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:23 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'm just glad that Godzilla is back in some form as is with the AVGN, He hasn't had a movie since 2004.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:24 PM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Originally posted by Nephthys
Aw, hell naw.

The 2014 version may be not very good in my opinion, but it still blows the previous American Godzilla clear out of the water. The 1998 version was terrible on every conceivable level, while the new one at least had a great first act with Bryan Cranston and the final fight was cool, if underwhelming for me.

Like I said, character-wise, I thought GINO was superior.

Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:24 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The characters in 2014 were boring outside of Cranston, but the characters in 98 were irritating shmucks. Every character in that movie is comic relief. I mean wtf? erm

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 01:27 PM