KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Why do people hate INDY 4 so much?

Why do people hate INDY 4 so much?
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

"Lieutenant.. pixelise that tree line about 100 yards back! Give me some room to breathe!"

Capt.Kilgore - Apocalypse Now Updated, Remastered and Revised Special director's edition Redux 2013

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Feb 8th, 2012 10:44 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Indy 4 was going great till they got to South America. Then it just got utter shite. The main problem was that our heroes never seemed to be in any real danger, they just seemed to sail through anything that got thrown at them. Too many sidekicks as well. I'd have just had Indy on his own battling whatever he had to battle.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2012 12:22 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Indy 4 is perhaps the weakest of the four, despite the objectionable content in Temple Of Doom and the too-cavalier-about-danger-we're-just-having-fun attitude present in The Last Crusade. But it's not a bad film at all, either. There's just a fan cult (with some media members as allies) that is bent on hating George Lucas every waking moment of his life. Asking them to give it up at this point, is like asking IRA splinter factions to put down their guns.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 9th, 2012 05:12 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

That's a bit blunt. I think we have given lots of very good cinematographic and storytelling arguments what is wrong with these movies. A lot of critique is pointed mainly at the movies and the way they work. George's attitude of saying: they're my movies and I make them the way I want, does kinda clash. Indeed. But not so much because of the Lucas bashing per se (although that is fun from time to time wink ). Our main gripe is the way these movies don't work and Lucas seems to think he's been making masterpieces in the past 14 years... And frankly, he is not.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2012 07:36 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I've made a short list of directors who hit a peak and then lost it - couldn't ever put together that combination of box office or critical hit, even separately. Directors like:
Michael Cimino (career ruined after Heaven's Gate)
Willaim Freidkin (career stalled since To Live & Die In L.A.)
Rob Reiner ( nosedived since the mid-1990's)
Francis Ford Coppola (hasn't scaled the heights since Apocalypse Now)

George Lucas doesn't qualify for the list, because box office for his franchises has remained huge (though he had no significant successes for ten years, between 1989 and 1999.) And critically he's done all right, if you look at the weight of reviews on sites like Rotten Tomatoes. But it's perception of him that's ruled everything; most of the print media & large groups of fandom have a critical story about him in their minds and they won't shake it, whatever he does. It's more fashionable to bash him than praise him.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 10th, 2012 06:10 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I agree. And whilst a good natured roast is always good, I think Im gonna choose instead to remember the pleasure he supplied us with in the OT and his touches on The Indy Trilogy...even American Graffiti.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2012 10:53 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I think if George had stuck to producing there would still be true love.

On the other hand, I have yet to see or hear the fan to shout at George when he or she would actually meet him. At Comic-Con or other venues, everyone cheers for him. After all, he gave us a lot... a lot of good stuff and some crap too.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2012 02:18 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I still love his works. Moreso now than ever.
I know Ive moaned a lot about JarJar etc etc, however Jar Jar was a fool, played into enabling the Darkside to rule and for balance to be restored to the force..
So in a way, No Jar Jar; no cool OT.

Thusly I'm probably gonna go see Red Tails after all... I can handle some dodgy acting/dialogue. And we've all been warned about it by Plinkett, so I expect that if Lucas has made it, that there must be something in it that will be good.

And with that understanding, even KOTCS may deserve a good rewatch..

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Feb 13th, 2012 at 03:05 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2012 03:02 PM
queeq
Chaos

*takes Sadako's temperature*

Old Post Feb 14th, 2012 03:40 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 15th, 2012 02:12 PM
queeq
Chaos

Looks serious.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2012 03:05 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Nah Im all good... Truthfully I was pretty down when that came out, might seem more humourous/enjoyable now as I was a miserable git before lol

Old Post Feb 15th, 2012 04:49 PM
queeq
Chaos

You took happy pills?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2012 12:14 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

and a bottle of vodka.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2012 12:35 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Well you'd think so. But no...

Why... got any?
shifty

stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 16th, 2012 12:35 PM
queeq
Chaos

Looks like you had too many... and forgot about it. Happy pills tend to do that.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2012 03:27 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Getting my long suffering computer sorted this week has actually put me in a really good mood, I must say. The power lead was knackered, the battery was dead, but its been sorted out now and life does seem that bit better, as I no longer have to type one-handed whilst holding the power lead. Plus those spontaneous power outs were doing things to my HDD. So all round its shaping up to be a good week. smile

Old Post Feb 16th, 2012 04:53 PM
queeq
Chaos

That explains your happy composure this last week.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2012 08:38 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Sounds sad doesn't it...
But it really was getting me down these last few months.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2012 09:21 AM
queeq
Chaos

I can't believe you didn't fix it sooner.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2012 10:30 AM