KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Could you recommend me some books.

Could you recommend me some books.
Started by: Mindset

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

Could you recommend me some books.

Sci-fi and fantasy books would be great.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Apr 8th, 2010 10:20 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

"A stranger in strange land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

One of my favourite books.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 09:19 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Well I can recommend you stuff, but it's mostly stuff you'd find googling "Science Fiction novels" but anyways I enjoyed these:

Dune by Frank Herbert
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov
The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
2001 A Space Oddyssex by Arthur C. Clarke
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip Dick
To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust
Neuromancer by William Gibson

Old Post Apr 12th, 2010 12:37 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Surprised you didn´t have the "Red Dwarf" series in there, hilarious stuff in a similar way to "Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy"

Old Post Apr 12th, 2010 01:25 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evilbigfoot
Bah, Canon...

ANY books by Timothy Zahn.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2010 03:15 PM
Evilbigfoot is currently offline Click here to Send Evilbigfoot a Private Message Find more posts by Evilbigfoot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BookwormService

for Sci Fi, Heinlein is great. Either as stated "Stranger in a Strange Land' or his "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."

Old Post Jun 21st, 2010 06:13 PM
BookwormService is currently offline Click here to Send BookwormService a Private Message Find more posts by BookwormService Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

It depends on what you like to read but here are my favorites

the Ink Heart series
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Oliver Twist
The Great Divorse
This Present Darkness
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter books
Treasure Island
Gone with the Wind
The Handmaiden Tale
The Nanny Diaries
The Devil wears Pruma

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2010 03:04 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

You can try George R.R. Martin's Game of Throne series or Steve Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2011 04:40 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I too am in search of a good sci-fi/adventure story/author. I liked Dune okay. I had trouble getting into The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Is Stranger in a Strange Land easier to get into?

Right now I am really enjoying re-reading the novelization of The Chronicles of Riddick. Love it. But I figure there must be an author out there who writes this kind of stuff.. he/she just remains to be discovered..

Old Post Jul 24th, 2011 10:45 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I too am in search of a good sci-fi/adventure story/author. I liked Dune okay. I had trouble getting into The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Is Stranger in a Strange Land easier to get into?

Right now I am really enjoying re-reading the novelization of The Chronicles of Riddick. Love it. But I figure there must be an author out there who writes this kind of stuff.. he/she just remains to be discovered..

Try to get a hold of Simon R. Greens' Deathstalker Saga, amazing sci-fi adventure saga. Heres the chronology to help you read it in order;

Deathstalker Prelude (not essential to main story, like an add-on)
Deathstalker
Deathstalker Rebellion
Deathstalker War
Deathstalker Honour
Deathstalker Destiny
Deathstalker Legacy
Deathstalker Return
Deathstalker Coda

I know it looks like a lot but it's worth it in my opinion. The characters are memorable and the action is superb.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 02:40 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Jesus Lord, that's a lot! ha... cool, though. Just looked around at it on Amazon. Sounds good. Definitely way too much of a commitment for me right now, cuz I'm about to start school up again, but I might order the first book and get a taste. If I like it, it would certainly keep me busy for a while! I have trouble getting into stuff that's too long and complicated with too many characters and unnecessary details, though. For example, I made a minor effort to read Stephen King's The Stand and he skips around too damn much and the plot just didn't progress fast enough for me. Couldn't get into it. Stephen King can be good, but his writing style can get on my nerves, heh..

Thanks, though, dude. It does sound really good.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 03:19 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Jesus Lord, that's a lot! ha... cool, though. Just looked around at it on Amazon. Sounds good. Definitely way too much of a commitment for me right now, cuz I'm about to start school up again, but I might order the first book and get a taste. If I like it, it would certainly keep me busy for a while! I have trouble getting into stuff that's too long and complicated with too many characters and unnecessary details, though. For example, I made a minor effort to read Stephen King's The Stand and he skips around too damn much and the plot just didn't progress fast enough for me. Couldn't get into it. Stephen King can be good, but his writing style can get on my nerves, heh..

Thanks, though, dude. It does sound really good.

No problem, I read these in my teens (the last three only a year ago) and I was just blown away by everything, the adventure, the characters and concepts. And if you think Riddick is one tough dude just wait until you meet the guys in this universe... big grin And they aren't complicated, Simon Green's writing is fluid and expressive and things just zap you straight in the head with the way he builds personalities and situations.

I've read the Stand too and I agree that his writing can be hard to follow. Most notably was when I tried to read 'It' and I couldn't make head nor tails of it. I read 'Cujo' last month though and I was blown away by that so I think he is a bit hit and miss; I prefer Richard Laymon myself, he scares the cr*p out of me!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 03:44 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

lol. Yeah, King is best when he keeps it a bit more simple, I think. I've never read Cujo, but I saw the movie, which was excellent. It's a simple story. I have read The Shining, and that was excellent. Haha, cool, I'll have to store Richard Laymon away in my back pocket, too.

Well, anyway, I'm pretty new to sci-fi adventure novels. But I think I'll enjoy it if I find the right thing.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 05:37 PM
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Could you recommend me some books.

Originally posted by Mindset
Sci-fi and fantasy books would be great.
bible

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 06:51 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kasper Gutman

That was a sucky comment Chomperx9.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 08:48 AM
Kasper Gutman is currently offline Click here to Send Kasper Gutman a Private Message Find more posts by Kasper Gutman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kasper Gutman

Lonely Werewolf Girl-Martin Millar. Fun little werewolf fantasy set in London.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 08:52 AM
Kasper Gutman is currently offline Click here to Send Kasper Gutman a Private Message Find more posts by Kasper Gutman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Re: Re: Could you recommend me some books.

Originally posted by chomperx9
bible

hurr

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 11:00 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Kasper Gutman
That was a sucky comment Chomperx9.
That's par for the course with him.

I had forgotten I made this thread, thanks for bumping it.

Has anyone here read Atlas Shrugged?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 07:52 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Mindset

Has anyone here read Atlas Shrugged?

Many a second year college student trying to come off as both deep and an erudite.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 13th, 2011 05:10 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote