KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Put The Final Fantasy Games In Order Of Preference

Put The Final Fantasy Games In Order Of Preference
Started by: §P0oONY

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
§P0oONY

Put The Final Fantasy Games In Order Of Preference

My Order:

Final Fantasy X - Loved the story, characters, sphere grid.
Final Fantasy VII - Loved the materia system and the story.
Final Fantasy VIII - Loved the characters and the broken battle system. (8 = 6)
Final Fantasy VI - Loved the story and characters.
Final Fantasy IX - Liked everything. Was more like VI and V.
Final Fantasy V - Don't remember it that well but I remember liking it.
Final Fantasy - It has obviously dated but I liked the class choice thing that is with the early FF games.

Now we have a bit of a gulf...

Final Fantasy XIII - Was just a bit boring. I find it difficult to find points where it excelled.
Final Fantasy X-2 - Probably only this far down becuase of it's name sake. That and I probably wasn't the game's audience.
Final Fantasy XII - Yeah, this game just wasn't great. I know lots of people liked it. I was not one of them.

I really don't believe Square Enix has made a fantastic numbered FF. Have not played II, III and IV. I only did the numbered games feel free to do others

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 02:35 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lavos
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just counting the main series, mine would be:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XI

Since IX the series has really gone downhill imo; FFXI was an MMO; FFXII was too open ended; FF X and XIII just didn't possess any of the charm of the first 9 in the series. Still love all 13 though.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 07:51 PM
Lavos is currently offline Click here to Send Lavos a Private Message Find more posts by Lavos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

How could you not love X?!? Insanity stick out tongue

Got to ask. You named after Lavos from Chrono Trigger?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 08:00 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lavos
Restricted

Account Restricted

What else? big grin (Playing through it for the second time (DS version) and I'd totally forgotten just how incredible it actually was)

X's a weird one for me. A lot of people view it as one of if not the best in the entire series (FF VII and VI being the only others to really get more recognition) but something about it didn't click for me. Think it was the characters. Though I will say that it was still a very strong game, with a complex and very emotional story and a real "wow" moment in the middle (the revelation that Tidus wasn't actually real but just a memory from the past), with some of the best music in the series. Still though...

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 08:09 PM
Lavos is currently offline Click here to Send Lavos a Private Message Find more posts by Lavos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

I played it through again on my SNES a few weeks ago, I've not played the DS version although I will probably buy it, certainly a fantastic game.

To give X such high praise and then rank it so low shows that your must really hold the series in high regard. I can see why people may not like it as much as others, it is certainly very different but I enjoyed it thoroughly, Choosing between FF games is always going to come down to preference though, they are all different but are all good games in their own right.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 08:19 PM
§P0oONY

I have to say though I did love the character customisation you got with thr expert sphere grid. (which I'm not sure the US version had.)

That was probably what gave X the edge in my list.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 12:40 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Final Fantasy Tactics - King

#1 FF7 - I hate to admit but FF7 was the first FF game I played and the first RPG as well. The influence the game's story, gameplay and production value of this game spoiled me for the rest of my life.

#2 FFX - This game was everything I hoped for and more. Tidus's annoying VA and attitude was a letdown, but the sacrifice he pulled off in the end made up for it. The story was great IMO

#3 FF8 - At the time it was released I was 17 and I could identity with all the problems the gang faced. The story was great until it went a bit dumb, but nothing game breaking for me. Squall, Laguna and Zell are some of my favorite video game chars. Quistis fetish FTW. Triple Triad was THE SHIT

#4 FF9 - Old school theme with the newer FF traits. This game is gold and all in all it has one of the most solid stories in the franchise.

#5 FF13 - Excellent gameplay, and I enjoyed how the characters interacted with each other. Yes this even includes Snow and his "SERAH" monologues every 15 minutes.

#6 FF6 - Never beat the game and I played it after playing FF7 but I could still enjoy the story, gameplay and music. Phenomenal game for its time. Wish I started with it.

The rest I didn't really play enough or I didn't care about them enough to list them *COUGHx-2COUGH-

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 12:47 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Final Fantasy Tactics - King

#1 FF7 - I hate to admit but FF7 was the first FF game I played and the first RPG as well. The influence the game's story, gameplay and production value of this game spoiled me for the rest of my life.

#2 FFX - This game was everything I hoped for and more. Tidus's annoying VA and attitude was a letdown, but the sacrifice he pulled off in the end made up for it. The story was great IMO

#3 FF8 - At the time it was released I was 17 and I could identity with all the problems the gang faced. The story was great until it went a bit dumb, but nothing game breaking for me. Squall, Laguna and Zell are some of my favorite video game chars. Quistis fetish FTW. Triple Triad was THE SHIT

#4 FF9 - Old school theme with the newer FF traits. This game is gold and all in all it has one of the most solid stories in the franchise.

#5 FF13 - Excellent gameplay, and I enjoyed how the characters interacted with each other. Yes this even includes Snow and his "SERAH" monologues every 15 minutes.

#6 FF6 - Never beat the game and I played it after playing FF7 but I could still enjoy the story, gameplay and music. Phenomenal game for its time. Wish I started with it.

The rest I didn't really play enough or I didn't care about them enough to list them *COUGHx-2COUGH-
XIII > VI?,,, XIII,,,, great gameplay? What the f**k?

If was pretty much just pressing tapping X... Pressing L1 from time to time.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 12:57 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Did I forget to mention I never finished VI and played it after playing VII-which spoiled me- and never got to far. I think its a nice game but since I never enjoyed it fully I can't rate it higher than the rest because I lack the XP

XIII did have great gameplay. The whole Paradigm system made for some intense battles. Far more intense than previous FFs IMHO. Also if all you did was Auto-Battle shame on you.

And pressing X is all you ever do in any FF unless you're talking about choosing spells and attacks-which you CAN do in FFXIII if you ain't too busy letting the AI make poor choises for you.

Last edited by Zack Fair on Apr 11th, 2010 at 01:16 AM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:09 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Shame on me for using Auto battle? Why? It's there to be used. I used manual things from time to time (Like Army of One and specific heals) but it wasn't needed. Even if I used full manual gameplay still would be lacking. The battles move at such a pace and you have such little control (As you only control one character).

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:16 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Yes shame on you because I say so. I prefer the hectic battle than the previous yawnfest the games offered.

You can slow the fight-speed if the pace is too fast for you. I actually like how FFXIII made mostly useless spells count this time around. Buffing and Debuffing in previous FF games wasn't really required and I always wondered why they were even there.

Did you try any of the final mission marks? Auto-Battle will get your annihilated if you try it.

Last edited by Zack Fair on Apr 11th, 2010 at 01:23 AM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:20 AM
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Yes shame on you because I say so. I prefer the hectic battle than the previous yawnfest the games offered.

You can slow the fight-speed if the pace is too fast for you. I actually like how FFXIII made mostly useless spells count this time around. Buffing and Debuffing in previous FF games wasn't really required and I always wondered why they were even there.

Did you try any of the final mission marks? Auto-Battle will get your annihilated if you try it.
I got through about 50% of the hunts and then packed it it because the game was boring me. The game lacked any kind of challenge compared to other FF games. I'm not talking about the optional stuff because I have no doubt that a lot of that is hard. but FFXIII's storyline offered no real challenge,.. There was no boss that you had to really prep for other then switiching classes, there is no real depth to character development customisation and development either. Which is something I really like in later FF games. Gameplay just wasn't really there, it was just sort of an interactive film.... That wouldn't end.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing it through but it was average in every way other than it's visuals.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:31 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

You couldn't really prep because they didn't want you to prep/grind your way to completely obliterate Bosses. All they wanted you to do was learn the bosses weaknesses, his patterns when you're using certain jobs in order to switch accordingly etc.

I respect your opinion, dude, but do know I rank XIII higher because I spent enough time with it to know it. VI I didn't really get that far. Got to Shadow and that was it. Not because the game was bad, but because at the time I was playing it I was graduating from High School, making plans for College with my GF and playing newer games. I think I was obsessing over Perfect Dark back then.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:36 AM
MadMel
Heh

VII, VIII, IX (tied - i find it difficult to think of them as separate games for some reason stick out tongue ) - first 3 i played, loved them
IV - its had kain and cecil, golbez, and the best parody fan script..nuff said
V - clash on the big bridge, best soundtrack in the whole series - again, nuff said
VI - .................kefka evil face
I - great story, loved the whole time thing at the end, and after playing dissidia i really started to understand how messed up garland was erm
X - chick flick, but nonetheless a good game
II - final boss was cool, and so was the story - didnt really think much of the rest of the game though
III - boring
X-2 - painful
havent played the rest..

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:41 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Well, go back and play it becaue I think you'll find it right up there with VII. It's much, much better than XIII yes

I hate sounding so negative towards XIII becasue I did enjoy it. It's just that it's a Final Fantasy game and I have come to expect something a little special from them. I guess the games visuals sort of filled that void but I've never been much of a graphics whore. Give me 16-bit anyday.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 01:43 AM
Sin_Volvagia

FF6- My favorite Final Fantasy. A lot of parts really stuck out me more than any of the other FFs. The music is great, boss sprites look wicked, and the main villain is a classic. The only problems I have are the overpowered Ultima, pathetic Esper attacks, and an easy final boss (easy even without Ultima).

FF5- The characters really aren't that special but at least the main villain is great. I loved the job system as it allowed to beat the game in so many ways making the experience different each time. The final boss is satisfying unlike FF6, FF7, and FFX.

FF4- Best storyline in the series. Expect betrayal, death, and plot twists in this game. I liked how challenging it was and how the characters developed. Plus, the final boss can kick your ass. Too bad the U.S. had to deal with the butchered "FF2" before the true version came out years later.

FFXII- Very underrated. Sure it takes time to get used to but you won't regret it once everything goes smoothly. It's nice to finally not have random encounters and have completely new summons (though most of them are in Tactics) instead having Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut over and over. The worlds are huge and the monster hunts are fun. This game, IMO, has the best final boss fight in the series. Though, I wish there was more character development and specific classes for each character (like that special edition that saw no release outside of Japan).

FFX- My first PS2 game and it proved to me that the PS2 kicked major ass. Finally, we can control Aeons like playable characters and weapons/armor can be upgraded in various ways. The storyline is engaging and the boss fights are good. I liked how the main villain was some destructive beast (like Lavos) instead of another magician. It was nice to switch characters when you wanted to and the level-up system is possibly the best in the series (which is why it kinda returned in FFXIII). I hated Yu Yevon was a joke of final fight. And why didn't the U.S. get the International version.

FF7- It's a great game but it's also overrated. I feel it has too many translation errors and it's hard to tell what's what from the graphics. I wasn't too fond of the magic system as it feels like a step down from FF6's magic system. Still, the game has so much to do with its sidequests and minigames; the characters are likeable (and overrated) and it introduced a pretty cool villain (also overrated). It should get a remake.

FFX2- This game made me want to get a PS2 since I was attracted to the use of dresspheres (it reminded me of FF5's job system). The game is decent but most of the game is sidequests. The main game is short and it gets too easy. Also, the characters either suck or got worse from FFX (Brother, especially). A real shame since I really like Paine's design. The music also feels out of place and the story really kills FFX's ending.

FF1- A lot better than the incredibly tedious and boring Dragon Warrior (how did that make it in so many top game lists?). I was surprised that you make your own team using 4 out of 6 characters (even though this game is old). Though, you do have to do some level-grinding here and there or fight random battles to gain enough money. I don't like how characters can't always aim the same enemy since their attacks will strike a killed enemy instead of the next one on the field. Also, it's a pain in the ass if a character dies. There are no Phoenix Downs and you have to go to town to bring someone back to life. Sure there's the white mage but revive spells come later and it only can be used a few times (there's limited times when MP can be filled up). Let's not forget about the bugged magic that don't even work right (or at all). It really sucks when have to pay a huge amount of money for the Saber spell and find out it does nothing. Still with all these flaws, FF was the start of a great series.

Mystic Quest - Shouldn't even be called a FF. It's incredibly easy, is boring, the characters are dumb, and the game doesn't feel FF at all. It had good music though (except for the overworld theme which is ****ing horrible).

I haven't played FF2, FF3, FF8, FF9, or FFXI so they're not included. I would put FFXIII on the list but I'm currently playing it.

sig by ScreamPaste

Old Post Apr 11th, 2010 02:27 PM
Sin_Volvagia is currently offline Click here to Send Sin_Volvagia a Private Message Find more posts by Sin_Volvagia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

FFVI - The first game that to me showed that truly powerful storytelling was possible in the video game medium. It wasn't the first FF game I played, but it was the first that I got into. The best music in the series, the best storytelling in the series, and still the most effective villain, I think. To this day I never felt such hatred for a character as I did for Kefka. I still play this game regularly, and I still consider it my favorite video game ever made.

FFVII - This finds itself in the strange spot of being grossly overrated but still excellent. It has its share of deep flaws, but it's still an engrossing game filled with spectacular moments. For me, this might be the most 'complete' FF game. There is just so much to do. Great mini games and sidequests, a very well realized world that you don't want to leave, characters that stay with you and a plotline that, while at times sloppy, is still powerful.

FFX - Tidus be damned, this is a powerful story in an excellent game. It took out a lot of the freedom but it made up for it by offering a very streamlined and polished experience. This game enjoyed a happy medium of world building and easy to grasp gameplay. It was impossible to get lost, but they still managed to make the world feel realized and lived in. Might have the best song in the history of Final Fantasy - People of the North Pole.

FFIX - I really liked this game back when I first played it, but it's dropped a bit since. I still like it quite a bit, mostly because of Vivi who is probably my favorite FF protagonist. The goofy style kinda hurt it, but I enjoyed the oldschool feel and the way each character had a defined role.

FFXIII - Still new, still need to reflect on this game a bit more and play it a few more times, but for now this is a solid action game. Yes, that's right. I've found that the game becomes better when you stop thinking of it as an RPG and approach like a more action oriented game. The combat is the best in the series and the graphics are breathtaking. And while the removal of town left a cataclysmic hole in the world itself, the game was still fun to play and had some memorable moments in storytelling terms.

FFVIII - Poor characters, sloppy and lazy storytelling, and a poor magic system hurt this immensely. But it starts out so strong that I can't hate it. It has probably the best mini game in the series in its card game, and the combat is fun outside of the poor draw system. I will actually probably play this one again soon. Strangely enough no matter how many times I play this game the whole story feels like something of a haze. I don't remember anything in particular about the story outside that it's silly and doesn't make sense. So you could make a flimsy argument that that somehow adds some replay value to it. Oh also, has a horrid main antagonist.

FFXII - I only played this once, but I remember very little about it. I don't remember the characters or much in the way of the storyline. I remember enjoying the world, towns and combat well enough, but it is not a good thing that I don't recall anything that happens in the story. So this goes at the bottom by default for being so unmemorable.

I've also played FFIV and V, but IV I played so long ago that I don't even want to bother ranking it, and V is more about the combat than anything.

If we're counting Tactics it would be up towards the top, it's an amazing game.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2010 05:51 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Tactics would undoubtedly be right near the top. It was phonominal, I really must play the GBA and DS ones.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2010 07:00 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by BackFire
FFVI - The first game that to me showed that truly powerful storytelling was possible in the video game medium. It wasn't the first FF game I played, but it was the first that I got into. The best music in the series, the best storytelling in the series, and still the most effective villain, I think. To this day I never felt such hatred for a character as I did for Kefka. I still play this game regularly, and I still consider it my favorite video game ever made.

FFVII - This finds itself in the strange spot of being grossly overrated but still excellent. It has its share of deep flaws, but it's still an engrossing game filled with spectacular moments. For me, this might be the most 'complete' FF game. There is just so much to do. Great mini games and sidequests, a very well realized world that you don't want to leave, characters that stay with you and a plotline that, while at times sloppy, is still powerful.

FFX - Tidus be damned, this is a powerful story in an excellent game. It took out a lot of the freedom but it made up for it by offering a very streamlined and polished experience. This game enjoyed a happy medium of world building and easy to grasp gameplay. It was impossible to get lost, but they still managed to make the world feel realized and lived in. Might have the best song in the history of Final Fantasy - People of the North Pole.

FFIX - I really liked this game back when I first played it, but it's dropped a bit since. I still like it quite a bit, mostly because of Vivi who is probably my favorite FF protagonist. The goofy style kinda hurt it, but I enjoyed the oldschool feel and the way each character had a defined role.

FFXIII - Still new, still need to reflect on this game a bit more and play it a few more times, but for now this is a solid action game. Yes, that's right. I've found that the game becomes better when you stop thinking of it as an RPG and approach like a more action oriented game. The combat is the best in the series and the graphics are breathtaking. And while the removal of town left a cataclysmic hole in the world itself, the game was still fun to play and had some memorable moments in storytelling terms.

FFVIII - Poor characters, sloppy and lazy storytelling, and a poor magic system hurt this immensely. But it starts out so strong that I can't hate it. It has probably the best mini game in the series in its card game, and the combat is fun outside of the poor draw system. I will actually probably play this one again soon. Strangely enough no matter how many times I play this game the whole story feels like something of a haze. I don't remember anything in particular about the story outside that it's silly and doesn't make sense. So you could make a flimsy argument that that somehow adds some replay value to it. Oh also, has a horrid main antagonist.

FFXII - I only played this once, but I remember very little about it. I don't remember the characters or much in the way of the storyline. I remember enjoying the world, towns and combat well enough, but it is not a good thing that I don't recall anything that happens in the story. So this goes at the bottom by default for being so unmemorable.

I've also played FFIV and V, but IV I played so long ago that I don't even want to bother ranking it, and V is more about the combat than anything.

If we're counting Tactics it would be up towards the top, it's an amazing game.

EDIT: Wow. Your ranking is EXACTLY the same as mine. lolz

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Apr 12th, 2010 09:11 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by §P0oONY
Tactics would undoubtedly be right near the top. It was phonominal, I really must play the GBA and DS ones.

I wouldn't bother, they aren't anywhere near as good.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2010 09:39 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote