KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » 2010 FIFA World Cup

2010 FIFA World Cup
Started by: §P0oONY

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (46): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano
Fight for the future

yeh the wait is killing me. ive been watching my old footy dvds to keep me going.

The other gods! The other gods! The gods of the outer hells that guard the feeble gods of earth!... Look away... Go back... Do not see! Do not see!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 02:36 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

quote: (post)
Originally posted by botankus
I'm an NFL fan with a father-in-law who is a soccer (football) nut. He's having a big get-together this Saturday to watch us Yanks take on the English. He's even inviting a friend who's from the UK to watch with us. That way the friend can rib us if England wins...or rib us about how we don't know the game if England loses, I suppose! But it should all be in good fun, I hope.

So considering I don't know much about these 2 teams except that the USA barely scored in the last World Cup, who is expected to win this match?

The USA has an excellent well balanced team, and it wouldnīt suprise me if they managed a 1:0 win or a draw to be honest.

The atmosphere in the ground, form on the day and other things come into account in World Cups not just the quality of the teams and I have a feeling this World Cup could bring up a few suprises.

All in all it should be good fun to watch after all thatīs what sports all about.

One thing for sure if football ever becomes popular in the USA with thier talented pool of athletes, racial diversity & potential financial input the US could win the World cup one day.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 03:10 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Oh God, oh God. The USA have a decent squad, and they're better than they've ever been but let's not exaggerate.

I don't believe the US football hype just like I don't believe the ''African international teams are on the same level as European and South American teams now''-hype.

The US will survive the group on a 2nd place, and will lose the 2nd round or quarter finals. No African team is getting past the quarter finals, maybe not even that far like last year, when supposedly an African team was going to progress far into the tournament.

Also, the US might win the World Cup one day but not because of their racial diversity. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. After all, England and The Netherlands have almost as racially diverse societies, and they haven't won a tournament in years.

Last edited by Slay on Jun 8th, 2010 at 03:34 PM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 03:25 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Thanks for the replies, guys. For the first time, I'm actually pumped about watching it. My 5-month old daughter loves watching hockey (seriously, she cries when they cut to commercial break), so maybe she'll get into the World Cup a bit.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 03:45 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano
Fight for the future

i believe the ivory coast could make it into the semi finals. They have a very good team

The other gods! The other gods! The gods of the outer hells that guard the feeble gods of earth!... Look away... Go back... Do not see! Do not see!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 04:04 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by Deano
i believe the ivory coast could make it into the semi finals. They have a very good team

They have a tough group with Portugal and Brazil, but I do believe they'll survive it. After that they're probably up against Spain, which I don't think they'll win unless they optimally utilize their strength and defensive qualities.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 04:39 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 10:53 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano
Fight for the future

Originally posted by Slay
They have a tough group with Portugal and Brazil, but I do believe they'll survive it. After that they're probably up against Spain, which I don't think they'll win unless they optimally utilize their strength and defensive qualities.

Thats true. They will lose to Spain i think.

I've now did some analyzing and it looks like it could be a Brazil Spain final.

(please log in to view the image)

Here i predict the world cup! We should all have a go and see who gets the nearest.

Group A - France Mexico

Group B - Argentina Greece

Group C - England USA

Group D - Germany Serbia

Group E - Holland Denmark

Group F - Italy Paraguay

Group G - Brazil Ivory Coast

Group H Spain Switzerland

2ND ROUND

France beat Greece
England beat Serbia
Germany beat USA
Argentina beat Mexico
Holland beat Paraguay
Brazil beat Switzerland
Italy beat Denmark
Spain beat Ivory Coast

Quarters

Brazil Beat Holland
England Beat France
Argentina beat Germany
Spain Beat Italy

Semi

Brazil Beat England
Spain Beat Argentina

Final

Spain Beat Brazil

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 01:13 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Oh God, oh God. The USA have a decent squad, and they're better than they've ever been but let's not exaggerate.

I don't believe the US football hype just like I don't believe the ''African international teams are on the same level as European and South American teams now''-hype.

The US will survive the group on a 2nd place, and will lose the 2nd round or quarter finals. No African team is getting past the quarter finals, maybe not even that far like last year, when supposedly an African team was going to progress far into the tournament.

Also, the US might win the World Cup one day but not because of their racial diversity. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. After all, England and The Netherlands have almost as racially diverse societies, and they haven't won a tournament in years.

Of course the "Hype" as you call it is over the top, and I share your opinion about the African teams who, due to thier lack of disipline crap, keepers and in depth lack of quality will be lucky to get past the group stages.

As for my "racial diversity" comment this has been disgusted before on here. What my point is ,is that if you have a variety of races originating from arround the world you have more possibilities in the team. Without generalising too much smile Hispanics for good center of gravity, keep the ball flat play, Northern Europeans for disiplined and airial supperiority, African for athleticism and Indians to play cricket.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 01:35 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Thats true. They will lose to Spain i think.

I've now did some analyzing and it looks like it could be a Brazil Spain final.

(please log in to view the image)

Here i predict the world cup! We should all have a go and see who gets the nearest.

Good Ideasmile but be brave and add some scorelines.

Group A - Mexico France

Group B - Argentina Greece

Group C - England USA

Group D - Germany Serbia

Group E - Holland Denmark

Group F - Paraguay Italy

Group G - Brazil Ivory Coast

Group H - Spain Chile

2ND ROUND
Greece beat Mexico 1:0
England beat Serbia 3:1
Germany beat USA 2:0
Argentina beat France 4:0 (maradonna gets banned for some reason)
Holland beat Italy 3:0
Brazil beat Chille 6:4
Denmark beat Paraguay 2:0
Spain beat Ivory Coast 4:0

Quarters

Holland Beat Brazil (Robben is fit and rapes them) 4:2
England Beat Greece 2:0
Germany beat Argentina 2:1
Spain Beat Denmark 4:1

Semi

England Beat Netherlands 2:1
Spain Beat Germany 3:2

Final

Spain Beat England 2:0

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 01:56 PM
Deano
Fight for the future

i hope England get to the final!

Wheres AC anyway? What did he get banned for?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 03:51 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

My predictions:

Group A - France, Uruguay
Group B - Argentina, Nigeria
Group C - England, USA
Group D - Germany, Serbia
Group E - Netherlands, Denmark
Group F - Italy, Paraguay
Group G - Brazil, Ivory Coast
Group H - Spain, Chile

Second Round:

France - Nigeria 2:0
Argentina - Uruguay 3:1
England - Serbia 3:2
Germany - USA 3:0
Netherlands - Paraguay 2:0
Italy - Denmark 1:0
Brazil - Chile 2:0
Spain - Ivory Coast 2:1

Quarters:

Netherlands - Brazil 2:1
France - England 3:2
Argentina - Germany 0:1, or 1:2, the win will be minimal.
Italy - Spain 1:3

Semis:

Netherlands - France 3:2
Germany - Spain 1:1 (Germany win after penalty shoot-outs)

Final:
Netherlands - Germany 2:1

Well, I actually expect Germany to win, but I want the Netherlands to win it.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 04:37 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Well, I actually expect Germany to win, but I want the Netherlands to win it.

I donīt think Germany will get that far, they lack quality up front IMO. But they are a tournament team so you never know. The Netherlands tend to self implode at some stage in every tournament, odd really as from my experience the Dutch are mellow cool people.

i hope England get to the final!

Wheres AC anyway? What did he get banned for?

He got permanently banned by the looks of it, probably for being his polite self. A shame really he would have added spice to this during the world cup. Hereīs his profile where it says why he got banned.

ac profile

Last edited by Bicnarok on Jun 9th, 2010 at 05:45 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 05:42 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by Bicnarok
I donīt think Germany will get that far, they lack quality up front IMO. But they are a tournament team so you never know. The Netherlands tend to self implode at some stage in every tournament, odd really as from my experience the Dutch are mellow cool people.

Lacking quality has never stopped them in the past though, has it? I know, but I have a feeling this will be our year. And about the mellow thing, trust me, most Dutchmen aren't. At least when it comes to that aspect of mellowness.

Would be a great final though, two of the biggest rivals in football facing off in the most important match they'll ever play. Germany took it in 1974, maybe we will this time.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 05:50 PM
Deano
Fight for the future

Germany always end up doing well. They are a well oiled team!

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 06:19 PM
Liberator
Mums Gardener

France beating England...? France struggled against Ireland I don't think they have the faintest chance of ever doing any real harm this Cup.

- Emma Goldman

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 07:43 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano
Fight for the future

doesnt matter about the past now. when the world cup starts expect anything to happen

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 09:30 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

doesnt matter about the past now. when the world cup starts expect anything to happen

Thatīs what makes it so exciting eh, the unpredictability.

Just hope that the Refīs arnīt "advised" to help the African countries out.

It may sound like some conspiracy but this clearly happened in the last world cup with Korea and Japan, especially the game where Spain had two goals disallowed against Korea.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 01:43 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Thatīs what makes it so exciting eh, the unpredictability.

Just hope that the Refīs arnīt "advised" to help the African countries out.

It may sound like some conspiracy but this clearly happened in the last world cup with Korea and Japan, especially the game where Spain had two goals disallowed against Korea.

Do you mean in 2002 where Korea got a penalty that wasn't a penalty and Totti getting a red card which wasn't a red card against Italy?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 06:02 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by Liberator
France beating England...? France struggled against Ireland I don't think they have the faintest chance of ever doing any real harm this Cup.

Remember back in 2006 when everybody said that France wasn't going to do that well, and they almost won it? Or back in 1998 when nobody expected them to do that well, adn they won it?

Sure, now you can say that they had great players like Desailly, Pires, Zidane and Vieira, but they weren't big stars back then.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 06:04 PM