KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Why do people like Wolverine so much?

Why do people like Wolverine so much?
Started by: Psychopath001

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

No. The team's roster will change though. But Logan is staying.

And WAXM wasn't shitty.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 07:36 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crimsonphoenix
Officially Unofficial

Like a few people said in this thread, he is the anti-hero. He doesnt take bs but he also takes your faults. Its really, i believe is a "kill or be killed" motto. Why not kill just this one person to save more lifes? I really think this is how he thinks and how other people think and why they like him. He isnt perfect. We arent perfect. He isnt one of these characters that turn good then go right around and turn evil. He is the same person threw and threw. He isnt two faced. He tells it how it is.

On a side note. He is a money maker and thats why marvel uses his character in about everything. Theses days new fans dont know the true story of him only the story portrayed in the movies or cartoons. I think thats why some people just get fed up hearing about him cause alot of people dont know what they are talking about.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 09:19 PM
crimsonphoenix is currently offline Click here to Send crimsonphoenix a Private Message Find more posts by crimsonphoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
killermover

He's a old dude as well, but his rivalry with Spidey makes him bareable.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 10:23 PM
killermover is currently offline Click here to Send killermover a Private Message Find more posts by killermover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mastagambit
I mentioned the 'shitty' tv show because his character is like that show.

yea go figure a character based off another would have similarities roll eyes (sarcastic)

Second,in the comics any team Logan leads doesnt last long.

Thats becuase he does not wish to be leader and they last plenty long so teams have lasted almost a decade.

I wouldnt even call it that he leads X-Force,Cable is more of a leader than him in that series,and isnt it going to get cancelled just like the 'shitty' show?

First off now your talking out ur ass. Cable had one line pretty much that hardly makes him more a leader and it was about the future something he knows more about then anyone.

no it no gettign cancled it one of there best selling runs.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 10:27 PM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crimsonphoenix
Officially Unofficial

Where did you hear about X-Factor being cancelled mastagambit? I didnt hear anything about it getting cancelled. You cant base a comic characters personality off of a cartoon show or even movie..

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 12:58 AM
crimsonphoenix is currently offline Click here to Send crimsonphoenix a Private Message Find more posts by crimsonphoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by crimsonphoenix
Where did you hear about X-Factor being cancelled mastagambit? I didnt hear anything about it getting cancelled. You cant base a comic characters personality off of a cartoon show or even movie..

X-Factor is relaunching with a new "secret" team sometime later this year but the current run has technically been canceled.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 01:00 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crimsonphoenix
Officially Unofficial

:O wow! How did i miss that? Thanx

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 01:33 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

X-Factor =/= X-Force stick out tongue

I don't know about Factor, but Force is relaunching, yeah. New writer, new team...

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 01:36 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mastagambit
king of thieves

Originally posted by Battlehammer

First off now your talking out ur ass. Cable had one line pretty much that hardly makes him more a leader and it was about the future something he knows more about then anyone.

It seems you know nothing of comics. Cable originally lead the first X-Force. And did a damn good job. He is a master strategist just like his pops. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 01:03 PM
mastagambit is currently offline Click here to Send mastagambit a Private Message Find more posts by mastagambit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crimsonphoenix
Officially Unofficial

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
X-Factor =/= X-Force stick out tongue

I don't know about Factor, but Force is relaunching, yeah. New writer, new team...

i just started getting into x-factor again. Im way behind...obviously embarrasment

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 05:55 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Re: Why do people like Wolverine so much?

Originally posted by Psychopath001
He is so VASTLY over rated. I mean, WOW. I don't think I have ever seen any comic book character put on a higher pedestal than they deserve more than this dude. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like him, quite a bit, but it's getting way too much.

Yes he has adamantium claws, and yes he has a healing factor, but so what? With the sort of beings roaming the universe and even the ones just on earth, I don't understand why there is so much hype being made about a character whose primary function is to keep taking incredible hits because he's not powerful enough to dish incredible ones out.

Two years ago, Wizard Magazine ranked him #1 of their list of the Top 200 Comic Book Characters Ever (where he was followed by Batman, Spider Man & Superman.) He's got SOMETHING going for him.

He's not my No.1 -maybe he's in my top ten - but I can't argue with his place on the list.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 24th, 2010 08:38 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

It seems you know nothing of comics. Cable originally lead the first X-Force. And did a damn good job. He is a master strategist just like his pops. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I new that........but were talking about current x-force........what does past x-force have anything to do with are conversation?

but thanks for the red herring son.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2010 09:22 PM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wannabe
P10 commercial Mindguard

Re: Re: Why do people like Wolverine so much?

Originally posted by roughrider
Two years ago, Wizard Magazine ranked him #1 of their list of the Top 200 Comic Book Characters Ever (where he was followed by Batman, Spider Man & Superman.) He's got SOMETHING going for him. ...

This hasn't been questioned.
The question of the thread is WHY is he so popular, respectively WHAT does he have going for him.
I find him entertaining from time to time. But all in all for my taste he's way too much of a w*nking fantasy for wannabe (oh the irony) macho males and those guys, who feel the need to compensate for whatever ... no offense.

THE CORPS IS MOTHER
THE CORPS IS FATHER

Old Post Jun 25th, 2010 12:12 AM
wannabe is currently offline Click here to Send wannabe a Private Message Find more posts by wannabe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

What the f**k?

Pretty sure several people including myself already went into why he's popular. The "whats" you are reffering to are the things that people connect to and relate with. Not really sure what's so hard to follow.

Don't really think a hairy midget underdog character is exactly what ... "macho males" relate to.... and "compensation" really has more to do with characters like... oh I dunno, Cap or Hulk.. erm

Old Post Jun 25th, 2010 04:04 AM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by jinzin
What the f**k?

Pretty sure several people including myself already went into why he's popular. The "whats" you are reffering to are the things that people connect to and relate with. Not really sure what's so hard to follow.

Don't really think a hairy midget underdog character is exactly what ... "macho males" relate to.... and "compensation" really has more to do with characters like... oh I dunno, Cap or Hulk.. erm

Wannabe macho male. Why don't you turn off your computer and measure your small dick, cry and then fall asleep! mad

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 25th, 2010 04:29 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wannabe
P10 commercial Mindguard

What the f**k?

Clearly i only adressed roughrider, who simply pointed out HOW popular Logan is and not WHY.

Well, at least according to my everyday observations among male comic readers almost none of them perceive Logan as a "hairy midget", no matter how often his comic adversaries and sometimes even his allies call him things like that.
Since i just love reading comics and i once had to do a free-theme reasearch for one of my psychology seminars, i chose to do it in my natural environment wink .
The results regarding Logan, supported by open survey and anonymous polls, were quite obvious. Plainly said: Most of the male comic readers i questioned see Wolverine as a symbol of independence and animalistic hyper-masculinity, as a "badass", who can afford to do whatever he want's and to mess up those, who dare to cross his path. Macho males relate to those qualities, wannabes relate to the suffering yet bearing "underdog" and wish they could be like him to improve their real life (mostly their actual or perceived social and/or sexual status).

THE CORPS IS MOTHER
THE CORPS IS FATHER

Old Post Jun 25th, 2010 07:35 PM
wannabe is currently offline Click here to Send wannabe a Private Message Find more posts by wannabe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Originally posted by wannabe
Clearly i only adressed roughrider, who simply pointed out HOW popular Logan is and not WHY.
You made a general assessment of what was being discussed in this thread. *shrug* So yeah, it wasn't really all that clear at all.

Originally posted by wannabe
Well, at least according to my everyday observations among male comic readers almost none of them perceive Logan as a "hairy midget", no matter how often his comic adversaries and sometimes even his allies call him things like that.
Since i just love reading comics and i once had to do a free-theme reasearch for one of my psychology seminars, i chose to do it in my natural environment wink .
The results regarding Logan, supported by open survey and anonymous polls, were quite obvious. Plainly said: Most of the male comic readers i questioned see Wolverine as a symbol of independence and animalistic hyper-masculinity, as a "badass", who can afford to do whatever he want's and to mess up those, who dare to cross his path. Macho males relate to those qualities, wannabes relate to the suffering yet bearing "underdog" and wish they could be like him to improve their real life (mostly their actual or perceived social and/or sexual status).

I seeeeee..... What the f**k?

So your anonymus survey was one in which you were still able to distinguish these readers as "macho males" and "wannabes"....?

The survey ALSO went into detail as to define the participant's social status or sexual shortcomings.....?

Hmmm, excuse my skepticism.
The qualities you described about Logan are one's which anyone with a passing familiarity of the character may have but not how you would see him described by people who are actually invested in the character.
The relations you've given the character to steriotypes serve as... disengenous at best. Though I understand that probably wasn't your original intention.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2010 11:26 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

What he lacks in power he makes up for in precision deadliness.

* I disagree, my friend… Wolverine does NOT lack power, in fact he has wide array of abilities in his powerset i.e., regenerative healing factor, superhuman senses, strength, agility, stamina, reflexes and longevity, adamantium-laced skeletal structure with retractable claws, expert martial artist… Marvel actually throws him into almost any comic to gain sales and get away with it… the reason why he's so d@mn popular? I don't know and to be honest, I'm one of them who actually hates him… hehehe…

And Wolverine's actually far more hated by the comic book community then celebrated. The people who do like him are typically casual comic-based media fans only familiar with his character design, the movies, and the cartoons.

* let's be truthful here… he's hated by less and loved by most… he's hated because he's really overrated and overhyped… why is he overrated? because he is popular… and Marvel uses that popularity to make money…

As for us actual comic readers who like him... There's tons of reasons.

He is an underdog type of character, everyone wants to believe in the underdog.

* how did Wolverine became an underdog? because he only stands 5'3"? he is not an underdog, my friend… he might be a midget, but he's muscle-bound and weighs 195 lbs. without adamantium, 300 lbs. with adamantium… and a person who stands 5'3", moves with great agility, speed and reflexes despite carrying 105 lbs. of adamantium laced to his bones proves his raw strength… he is not an underdog in my book…

He's the ultimate anti-hero; he has a realistic view on how to deal with terroristic super villains, and takes that responsibility of taking lives on his own consciense and soul.

* I have to agree…

He's fearless; to have fear is to be caged, Wolverine is not afraid to run headfirst into situations that present nothing but an oppurtunity for pain.

* because he has regenerative healing factor and adamantium-laced skeleton! he is the perfect soldier to be a front-liner… much braver are those characters who engage in battles without such powers… fearless? yeah, might be… not afraid to run headfirst? that might be because of his powers…

At the end of the day though it's like Wizard said sometime ago. Wolverine doesn't live in stark lines of right and wrong, he understands that a grey area exists and he's constantly trying to exist within that area because he doesn't presume one way to be the best way, at the end of the day he's just a man, trying to be better than he is... and I think we can all relate to that.

* well, yeah… it is his (Wolverine's) belief…

As far as fights go on the forums.. he gets put into a lot of battles that are melee oriented fights, and those are the types of fights he excells at. No overration about it, that's just how it is.

* overration enters when he's up against characters more than he can chew and fanboys still claim he has a chance to win… in comics, his jobber aura do exist sometimes or should I say, most of the time, right?

Last edited by dyajeep on Jun 28th, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 12:25 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Originally posted by peejayd
* I disagree, my friend… Wolverine does NOT lack power, in fact he has wide array of abilities in his powerset i.e., regenerative healing factor, superhuman senses, strength, agility, stamina, reflexes and longevity, adamantium-laced skeletal structure with retractable claws, expert martial artist… Marvel actually throws him into almost any comic to gain sales and get away with it… the reason why he's so d@mn popular? I don't know and to be honest, I'm one of them who actually hates him… hehehe…

Uh... yeah, he has a lot of abilities but he doesn't have tons of power. You're not going to see Wolverine take out a city block in one hit, he can't throw cars, he can't blow up a building or tear one down in a single attack. He lacks power, not an array of abilities... and those are not the same thing. no expression

* let's be truthful here… he's hated by less and loved by most… he's hated because he's really overrated and overhyped… why is he overrated? because he is popular… and Marvel uses that popularity to make money…

Let's be truthful indeed... Wolverine's often characterized by the phantom lagions of Wolverine fanboys that follow his namesake everywhere he goes... I've been a veteran of this site for well over 5 years now and I can tell you, I've yet to see these legions and the actual number of real Wolvie supporters has boiled down to about the same 12 or so members in all the years I've been here. You have any idea how many more common supporters of characters like Deathstroke and Midnighter there are? Cause the difference in relation to the popularity is pretty staggering... Yeah Marvel capitalizes on his name to sell comics... no more than they do Spiderman, Hulk, or Deadpool.

* how did Wolverine became an underdog? because he only stands 5'3"? he is not an underdog, my friend… he might be a midget, but he's muscle-bound and weighs 195 lbs. without adamantium, 300 lbs. with adamantium… and a person who stands 5'3", moves with great agility, speed and reflexes despite carrying 105 lbs. of adamantium laced to his bones proves his raw strength… he is not an underdog in my book…
Yeah but your book doesn't take into account that he built his career taking on Hulk, Wendigo, Demons that soloed the entire X-men, Heralds and more than half the Shiar Imperial Guard. He's an underdog because in spite of his stature and low grade power set he is still able to find a way to compete with people who have him far outstripped in raw power, numbers, etc etc... Nearly his entire Rogues gallery is composed of people stronger, faster, more durable, with better/as good healing factors as himself and when it's not that kind of advantage, they're just uber beings like Ogun.

* because he has regenerative healing factor and adamantium-laced skeleton! he is the perfect soldier to be a front-liner… much braver are those characters who engage in battles without such powers… fearless? yeah, might be… not afraid to run headfirst? that might be because of his powers…
Well... it might be if his powerset didn't mean that he had to still deal with every bit the pain of each wound he incurrs, the pain of regrowing damaged tissue which he describes as more painful than the initial wound, if he didn't have phantom pains from said wounds lasting long after the healing of the injury. Wolverine's powerset doesn't make him fearless, the fact that he is fearless does.

* overration enters when he's up against characters more than he can chew and fanboys still claim he has a chance to win… in comics, his jobber aura do exist sometimes or should I say, most of the time, right?
Overration is built on a premise of underestimating the character, so it isn't an accurate assessment of what's being measured.

Wolverine's "jobber aura" is something that happens most of the time.... but for some reason we should take the low showings with more credence?
That doesn't make sense, and once more given that he's been doing his high end feats since the inception of the character, it's rather hard to imagine that we need to ignore what the character does on a regular basis and instead uphold him to a lower standard than he is characterized.

Fighting bricks, no matter how popular they may be, is something Wolverine was created to do.... The multitudes of threads where we have people claiming Wolverine will lose because a guy like Ursa Major is "too strong" is just assinine reasoning with nothing to support it. You don't have to be a fanboy to think Wolverine can take bricks in a melee fight. no expression

Last edited by jinzin on Jun 28th, 2010 at 02:45 AM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 02:43 AM
BoogieJ

People can relate to Wolverine because he's a jerk, and very aggressive. In today's society people gravitate towards violence and there's an awful lot of cowards out there that wish that they can do the things that he does. Psychologically you are a sociopath if you like somebody that has raw powers and goes around cutting people up without any consequences using bad language for no reason and you throw your hands up in the movie theater screaming yeah!!!!!!! It's a pack and caveman mentality that draws people to The Wolverine. He's an antihero who's very violent and aggressive.,As a superhero he's extremely overratedhowever I do like him as a member of the X-Men because they need a gray area character. As a comic book fan I'm sick and tired of them putting him on a pedestal. By the way, I don't think Hugh Jackman did that great of a job. They definitely could have found someone better, more athletic and more physical. There's a lot of people that want to be tough and aggressive and badass so they live through the character of Wolverine. First Class was the only decent X-Men movie so they really need to redo that entire franchise and follow the comic book format rather than introducing characters because they feel everybody likes them particularly a character like Wolverine. First Class proved we didn't need Wolverine.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2021 12:55 PM
BoogieJ is currently offline Click here to Send BoogieJ a Private Message Find more posts by BoogieJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote