KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » black spidey.. no, not what you think..

black spidey.. no, not what you think..
Started by: super pr*xy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SamZED

They want to make him black just so they could say -"Hey, look at us! We are so NOT racist that we see no difference! Black? White? Doesn't matter! We're all the SAME!" And while treating all races with respect is a great thing, the idea itself and reasons behind it are laughable. 50 years from now people would watch the movie and say "Wait, isn't he supposed to be white?" or "What was the point of that?"erm

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 09:22 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

It's just a terrible idea. Period. It's not like Hollywood is so low on good white actors that they have to resort to someone who isn't white in order to get high quality acting skills. They can find someone who is decent at acting, and white. It doesn't even have to be a big name in acting, because this is Spider-Man. You don't need a huge name for this film.

Last edited by Phoenix2001 on Jun 17th, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 10:02 PM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KCJ506

As a black person myself I wanna say heres my thing about changing of race: I have a double standard

I didn't mind the Nick Fury change because this one is based off the Ultimate version which is based off SLJ himself.

I didn't mind the Kingpin change because where are you gonna find a white actor big enough and is actually right for the role? I heard they screen tested white actors and they all sucked.

I don't mind the change of Heimdall in Thor because he doesn't have his own series. He's just a supporting character. Who cares? I can't believe people are still bitching about this.

However there's no need a turn a major character into a different race. Not only is Spider-man a huge Marvel character he's iconic. And in a live action movie I would like Peter Parker to resemble his comic book counterpart as much as possible.

Instead changing white major characters into blacks why not build up the minority characters? Why not make a Black Panther movie? Why not put Vixen in a film? Where is the Luke Cage film that they were working so hard on?

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 10:12 PM
KCJ506 is currently offline Click here to Send KCJ506 a Private Message Find more posts by KCJ506 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bob.Marley

quote: (post)
Mr Parker the people that are okay with a black spidey obviously are not die hard fans.

Stan Lee:
as far as I'm concerned ... anybody should have a chance to audition for the role. [/QUOTE]

Brian Michael Bendis
quote:
i support this!! RT @chrischuang: Hey @BRIANMBENDIS, @mrdonaldglover wants to be spider-man! #donald4spiderman

At the end of the day, the writers/creators don't find the idea ludicrous, so some of y'all need to calm down.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:27 AM
Bob.Marley is currently offline Click here to Send Bob.Marley a Private Message Find more posts by Bob.Marley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

That's so... but what did you really expect Stan Lee to say? "No! I dont want Spider-man to be black! That's a stupid idea!"? That'd destroy his life, he'd lose all the respect he's ever had. Ofcourse he'd say that he he's ok with that.
What's so bad about making the characters the way they're supposed to be? Black Panther shouldn't be asian, he should be black because he's black in the books. While Spider-man was white so he should be white in the movies. Seriously, if they make him black it'd only show that they've got issues.

Last edited by SamZED on Jun 26th, 2010 at 07:51 AM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:49 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bob.Marley

Originally posted by SamZED
That's so... but what did you really expect Stan Lee to say? "No! I dont want Spider-man to be black! That's a stupid idea!"? That'd destroy his life, he'd lose all the respect he's ever had. Ofcourse he'd say that he he's ok with that.
What's so bad about making the characters the way they're supposed to be? Black Panther shouldn't be asian, he should be black because he's black in the books. While Spider-man was white so he should be white in the movies. Seriously, if they make him black it'd only show that they've got issues.

That's the thing though, I don't really think that line of logic really is relevant in this case. Black Panther is the first black superhero of the modern era. His race definitely is an issue by proxy... not to mention that he's the ruler of a country in Africa.

Peter Parker always struck me as a typical NYer (that's part of his appeal). His race doesn't define him. That's not the case with the vast majority of black superheroes.

What do you mean be the way he's supposed to be? I think the reason there is a difference of opinion on this issue is because people interpret comics differently. When I read a comic I don't particularly care about a character's race. It doesn't make an ounce of difference to me. What matters is the character of the protagonist and the choices he makes. Spiderman is defined by his choices to me, not the color of his skin.

If they can produce a Spiderman adaptation that stays true to the spirit of the comics, I'm all for it. Black/white/yellow/brown/red - IDC.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 08:43 AM
Bob.Marley is currently offline Click here to Send Bob.Marley a Private Message Find more posts by Bob.Marley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Originally posted by Bob.Marley
That's the thing though, I don't really think that line of logic really is relevant in this case. Black Panther is the first black superhero of the modern era. His race definitely is an issue by proxy... not to mention that he's the ruler of a country in Africa.

Peter Parker always struck me as a typical NYer (that's part of his appeal). His race doesn't define him. That's not the case with the vast majority of black superheroes.

What do you mean be the way he's supposed to be? I think the reason there is a difference of opinion on this issue is because people interpret comics differently. When I read a comic I don't particularly care about a character's race. It doesn't make an ounce of difference to me. What matters is the character of the protagonist and the choices he makes. Spiderman is defined by his choices to me, not the color of his skin.

If they can produce a Spiderman adaptation that stays true to the spirit of the comics, I'm all for it. Black/white/yellow/brown/red - IDC.

There's no other way to interprete the stories really. Some people get the wrong idea - they hear us say "he is supposed to be white" and think that it means we're somehow biased against black people or racists. Well its not true. The race does not change the way I think of the character, but I also dont need to PRETEND that im colorblind to show everyone that I have no prejudice. I dont care what's your race as long as you're a good person but there's also nothing wrong with respecting the source material. Black people were decriminated for years so now some people do their best to SHOW that they're not biased even to the point when they pretend they see no difference and making Spider-man black is just another way of showing that, at least that's what they think and it's ridiculous tbh. It doesnt matter that Parker's race wont effect his character. What matters is - he's white, and there's no bias or hatred in keeping him that way.

Last edited by SamZED on Jun 26th, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 10:20 AM
Phoenix2001

I totally agree with SamZED here.

This IDC attitude towards the race issue is nice, but to "pretend that we're colorblind" as SamZED puts it is a little overboard on the subject. Yeah, yeah, respect people of other races, blah, blah, blibdy blah, race doesn't define the character, yakkty yak... whatever, we get it. However, we don't need to get stupid about it and act like race doesn't exist, because it obviously does. Race does define a character to a degree as it presents a certain level of uniqueness; race presents a particular background that other characters may not have. Sure, race doesn't matter in the long run, but there's a reason why different characters are of different races, even species.

Really, Spider-Man doesn't have to be white, but he is. Luke Cage doesn't have to be black, but he is. Mr. Negative doesn't have to be asian, but he is. Thanos and several other E.T. characters don't have to be alien, but they are.

If the writers and movie makers decided to make Spider-Man some space alien, I wonder how many objectors there would be then. But, oh, Spider-Man isn't defined by his species, so IDC. Where can the line be drawn on this issue? You can respectfully dismiss people of other races when you need to find someone of the right race just like you can respectfully dismiss people who are 3 foot tall when you need to find someone who is much taller. This issue can be solved without it becoming some political nonsense that everyone seems so quick to plaster it with.

Last edited by Phoenix2001 on Jun 26th, 2010 at 06:24 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 06:11 PM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Phoenix2001
I totally agree with SamZED here.

This IDC attitude towards the race issue is nice, but to "pretend that we're colorblind" as SamZED puts it is a little overboard on the subject. Yeah, yeah, respect people of other races, blah, blah, blibdy blah, race doesn't define the character, yakkty yak... whatever, we get it. However, we don't need to get stupid about it and act like race doesn't exist, because it obviously does. Race does define a character to a degree as it presents a certain level of uniqueness; race presents a particular background that other characters may not have. Sure, race doesn't matter in the long run, but there's a reason why different characters are of different races, even species.

Really, Spider-Man doesn't have to be white, but he is. Luke Cage doesn't have to be black, but he is. Mr. Negative doesn't have to be asian, but he is. Thanos and several other E.T. characters don't have to be alien, but they are.

If the writers and movie makers decided to make Spider-Man some space alien, I wonder how many objectors there would be then. But, oh, Spider-Man isn't defined by his species, so IDC. Where can the line be drawn on this issue? You can respectfully dismiss people of other races when you need to find someone of the right race just like you can respectfully dismiss people who are 3 foot tall when you need to find someone who is much taller. This issue can be solved without it becoming some political nonsense that everyone seems so quick to plaster it with.

good words

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 27th, 2010 10:03 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bob.Marley

so panthers race is relevant to him because of where he is from and parkers race does not define him of where he is from ?

1st of all there is more than just a black race in africa. there are hispanics whites and many other races in africa as well

sure there is more than just one race in NY as well

but your nationality does not define your race and that goes for all races because there are different races all over the world mixed up in different countries.

so its unfair saying black panther and storm are black because they are from africa and saying parker isnt white because of where he is from.

Last edited by chomperx9 on Jun 29th, 2010 at 08:34 AM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 08:24 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by SamZED
There's no other way to interprete the stories really. Some people get the wrong idea - they hear us say "he is supposed to be white" and think that it means we're somehow biased against black people or racists. Well its not true. The race does not change the way I think of the character, but I also dont need to PRETEND that im colorblind to show everyone that I have no prejudice. I dont care what's your race as long as you're a good person but there's also nothing wrong with respecting the source material. Black people were decriminated for years so now some people do their best to SHOW that they're not biased even to the point when they pretend they see no difference and making Spider-man black is just another way of showing that, at least that's what they think and it's ridiculous tbh. It doesnt matter that Parker's race wont effect his character. What matters is - he's white, and there's no bias or hatred in keeping him that way.
yeah changing a superheroes race and runing classics for equal oppurtunity is not gonna change how the blacks feel about what happened in the past with their race. and also the title saying on that site where the blog started saying the last thing spiderman needs to be is another white guy. well i dont think the black community would appreciate it and it would probably be all over the news for racism if just one person started some blog saying the last thing fat albert needs to be is another black guy.

but no writers are gonna change fat alberts race or any other black characters race to make things fair. A because the white fans wouldnt like it just as much as the black fans of changing their characters race if they are played and drawn that color for a long time. black panther bishp storm all of them they kept drawing those characters their race all these years for a reason and nobody would appreciate if they changed that.

so why change the race of a white character thats been drawn for decades now ? just to put on afew happy faces hey look spiderman is also black that shows blacks can be superheroes to ?

come on now

Last edited by chomperx9 on Jun 29th, 2010 at 08:37 AM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 08:30 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Dude, stop using Fat Albert as an example, it doesn't fit here for obvious reasons. The same way a T'Challa example wouldn't fit. When being WHITE, and brought up in a WHITE community becomes part of what makes 'spider-man, spiderman' THEN you can use Fat Albert as an example and not sound ignorant. Look at Fat Alberts character, go watch the show. Him being black in a black community is intergral to his character. Pete being white ISNT.

Now , no more Fat Albert in your posts, because it makes me want to hit you. You've used it for all the wrong reasons about 20 times in this thread. Its a bad example.

no, stop typing, no, NO..

Fat Albert , T'Challa and Storm are bad examples.

No, leave the keyboard alone, there is no rebuttle, they ARE bad examples and thats NOT an opinion. Good day sir.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 05:50 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Juk3n
Dude, stop using Fat Albert as an example, it doesn't fit here for obvious reasons. The same way a T'Challa example wouldn't fit. When being WHITE, and brought up in a WHITE community becomes part of what makes 'spider-man, spiderman' THEN you can use Fat Albert as an example and not sound ignorant. Look at Fat Alberts character, go watch the show. Him being black in a black community is intergral to his character. Pete being white ISNT.

Now , no more Fat Albert in your posts, because it makes me want to hit you. You've used it for all the wrong reasons about 20 times in this thread. Its a bad example.

no, stop typing, no, NO..

Fat Albert , T'Challa and Storm are bad examples.

No, leave the keyboard alone, there is no rebuttle, they ARE bad examples and thats NOT an opinion. Good day sir.
parker grew up in a white community around white friends and white family. how come that doesnt define his race but fat alberts yes ?

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 07:27 PM
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Originally posted by chomperx9
parker grew up in a white community around white friends and white family. how come that doesnt define his race but fat alberts yes ?

erm You are beyond help. And im done with the issue if i have to walk people through comparisons like this. Good day.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 07:31 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

erm You are beyond help. And im done with the issue if i have to walk people through comparisons like this. Good day.
it so sad so many people walk off and try to make themselves look good when they cant even answer a question.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 07:36 PM
Phoenix2001

So, if they decided to cast a Arabian guy, a red haired freckled faced guy, or black guy as Kan El in a Superman movie, you would be okay with that? Having a white/Italian appearance isn't an integral part to his character, either, since he is not originally from Earth.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2010 03:37 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

ok....ok....ok... all talk of peter parker being black is now going to cease to exist.. it is over.. let me repeat...over.. Sony Pictures has found their man apparently..

Introducing Peter Parker

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 30th, 2010 11:28 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Hidden message

Old Post Jul 1st, 2010 08:21 AM
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
ok....ok....ok... all talk of peter parker being black is now going to cease to exist.. it is over.. let me repeat...over.. Sony Pictures has found their man apparently..

Introducing Peter Parker

Or not.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...s/news/?a=19628

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2010 12:28 AM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stall_19
Herald of Galactus

They've finally chosen their next Spider-Man http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1103478p1.html Seems a little old but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2010 02:15 AM
Stall_19 is currently offline Click here to Send Stall_19 a Private Message Find more posts by Stall_19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote