KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Darth Caedus: Questions about Him

Darth Caedus: Questions about Him
Started by: Board Walker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SWFan4Life
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
That's an oxymoron, n'est-ce pas?

Which part?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 08:21 PM
Click here to Send SWFan4Life a Private Message Find more posts by SWFan4Life Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Gideon
The phrasing indicates a choice: Jacen had not killed them and the narrative offers an explanation: the lightning's "murderous form" was a dark side weapon. His decision to use the mild form was a moral one, clearly not because he lacked the ability to wield it like Luke did.
The passage does not specify that the green lightning is ever murderous; it says the "murderous form of lightning" is the dark side weapon.

This is his use of "the murderous form of lightning":

quote:
Traitor
He remembered a long gathering breath: inhaling a galaxy of hatred and rage--And he remembered channeling that whole galaxy of rage down his arms and hurling it at Vergere. He remembered watching her writhe in the electric arcs of his hatred: remembered the sizzle of his own hands burning as lightning burst through them: remembered how that pain had only fed his anger. And he remembered how good it had felt.

[...]

He remembered swirling within the red tide, remembered feeling Vergere lose consciousness, remembered reaching for a new target, a new victim, reaching for Nom Anor with the lightning that had felled Vergere...

And being unable to find him. He could see the Yuuzhan Vong executor, could hear him shouting orders to the warriors around them all, but he could not touch him with the lightning. There had been a circuit missing: the lightning would ground harmlessly into the floor or the walls or arc back to make Vergere's unconscious body spasm in convulsions.

The lightning of his rage could only span gaps between poles of the Force... neither Nom Anor nor his warriors could conduct that current.

[...]

He remembered the wild joy of release as the power of the storm had roared into him and through him and became a mad vortex within the underground chamber, lifting stone and brick and chunks of duracrete to whirl and batter and slash the Yuuzhan Vong, pounding the warriors with pieces of the planet that had once been Jacen's home. A shrug of wind had crushed the Yuuzhan Vong into one corner of the chamber, and he remembered bubbling laughter exploding with malice into a shout of victory as he had reached up his hand and brought down the building around them. He rocked back on his ankles, hands going to his face.

There's no indication that that is akin to the "brilliant emerald fire" he uses here; to the contrary, it appears to be simply be a powerful manifestation of traditional Sith lightning, and it's probably what Jacen was referring to. He could have killed them with that lightning instead of simply incapacitating them with the "blaze[s] of fire."

I'm not suggesting that Jacen would never be able to kill with the technique, and given that he's only nineteen and this is the first time he's ever used the power, it really isn't even to his detriment.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 08:24 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm really not sure what you're getting at, in all seriousness.

quote:
[...]the brilliant emerald fire that lanced from his fingertips.

The Force lightning threw the first rank of Yuuzhan Vong back into their comrades, and in the confusion Jacen launched another blaze of fire. He hadn't killed them - the murderous form of lightning was a dark side weapon - but they wouldn't be waking for a long time.

In the passage from Destiny's Way that you provided, the "brilliant emerald fire that lanced from his fingertips" is identified as a variant of Force lightning, not an entirely different technique. The author identifies it in the next sentence as such -- "the Force lightning threw the first rank of Yuuzhan Vong back into their comrades."

You're splitting hairs: the author identifies it as a form of Force lightning, not a similar technique nor a related technique, but the same technique.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 09:56 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe its the same lightning as PLO Koon's.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:04 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

DS
I believe its the same lightning as PLO Koon's.

I've heard that before, but I haven't seen evidence of it.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:26 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Gideon
I'm really not sure what you're getting at, in all seriousness.

You said this:

quote:
Gideon
Jacen could have made it lethal.

I assumed the "it" you were referring to was the specific attack I brought up, the "brilliant emerald fire." I believe the narration was distinguishing between the traditional, dark side lightning - hence the description of what he could have killed them with as a "murderous... dark side weapon" - and whatever it is he hit them with in its stead, rather than implying that it's the "emerald fire" that he could have killed them with in a murderous fashion.

The two don't have to be completely different techniques for that conclusion to be valid.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:30 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Gideon
I've heard that before, but I haven't seen evidence of it.
Wasn't plo's described as emerald or bright or another synonym?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:33 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Electric Judgment.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:34 PM
SWFan4Life
Restricted

Account Restricted

Electric Judgment

True that, I think the books/comics/works have only defined TWO instances of Electric Judgment, Plo Koon and Luke. Jacen's Force Lightning in Destiny's Way wasn't defined as such. Please correct me if there are more instances that were clearly defined.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:38 PM
Click here to Send SWFan4Life a Private Message Find more posts by SWFan4Life Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Eminence
I assumed the "it" you were referring to was the specific attack I brought up, the "brilliant emerald fire." I believe the narration was distinguishing between the traditional, dark side lightning - hence the description of what he could have killed them with as a "murderous... dark side weapon" - and whatever it is he hit them with in its stead, rather than implying that it's the "emerald fire" that he could have killed them with in a murderous fashion.

The two don't have to be completely different techniques for that conclusion to be valid.

I was; the narration clearly refers to the "brilliant emerald fire" as Force lightning; what Jacen uses is the same thing that the Hidden One uses (which was brilliant white lightning) and the same thing that Emperor Palpatine uses (purplish) and the same thing that Count Dooku uses (blue). The color might designate the level of intensity or lethality, but it's the same technique.

That Jacen didn't use the green Force lightning to kill (as Luke did in the Unifying Force) seems to be because of a personal decision to restrain himself. What I was saying was that it's impressive that, at that stage, nothing indicates he lacked the capability to use the technique as it was used in the Unifying Force.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:38 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Electric Judgment

SWFan4Life
True that, I think the books/comics/works have only defined TWO instances of Electric Judgment, Plo Koon and Luke. Jacen's use in Destiny's Way wasn't defined as such. Please correct me if there are more instances that were clearly defined.

Nowhere (to my knowledge) is Luke's "green spark" technique ever called Electric Judgment.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:39 PM
SWFan4Life
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Electric Judgment

Nowhere (to my knowledge) is Luke's "green spark" technique ever called Electric Judgment.

You beat me to it! I was just confirming my source about Luke in Unifying Force. The book doesn't define it, I thought it had, only Plo Koon.

I think most fans assume so because EL is thought to be the light-side version of Force Lightning. When Jacen used FL in Destiny's Way, he was using it from the dark side, I recall.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:43 PM
SWFan4Life
Restricted

Account Restricted

Does the Skywalker bloodline get stronger with every generation?

I have heard this mentioned before: that subsequent generations of Skywalkers (or Solos, basically the descendents of Anakins Skywalker) become more and more powerful. This has been conjectured by many with the advent of the Legacy comics, due to Cade Skywalker's healing ability.

Question: Was Jacen Solo's Force potential the same as Luke's, or greater? Can anybody cite any texts in the EU that indicates this phenomenom?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:51 PM
Eminence
Boss

Gideon
I was; the narration clearly refers to the "brilliant emerald fire" as Force lightning; what Jacen uses is the same thing that the Hidden One uses (which was brilliant white lightning) and the same thing that Emperor Palpatine uses (purplish) and the same thing that Count Dooku uses (blue). The color might designate the level of intensity or lethality, but it's the same technique.

That Jacen didn't use the green Force lightning to kill (as Luke did in the Unifying Force) seems to be because of a personal decision to restrain himself. What I was saying was that it's impressive that, at that stage, nothing indicates he lacked the capability to use the technique as it was used in the Unifying Force.
You are forgiven.

And do not address me as "E" again.

Ever.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Having to call you "G" would be completely unfair. [As in, "you're a g."] It would imply that you're cool, and there would be no way to avoid it under that particular system of address.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:51 PM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

I often wondered if the color and intensity were loosely based on the electromagnetic spectrum but Palpatine's gay lightning is superior to the while lightning and Luke's green lightning is superior to all. Also I was alluding to the fact that the description of jacens lightning was similar to electric judgment.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:58 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Luke's lightning is superior to who?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 11:31 PM
truejedi

Was Luke's lightning in The Unifying Force referred to specifically as green? If so, then its safe to assume that Jace was using at least a similar attack.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 11:32 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

TJ
Was Luke's lightning in The Unifying Force referred to specifically as green? If so, then its safe to assume that Jace was using at least a similar attack.

Ya. Green sparks.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 11:33 PM
SithAce_1
Sith test pilot

Didn't Ben use force lightning on Zoist? I think I remember he used it when he was unarmed and a little scared too. Or was it a young Anakin same senario?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 11:57 PM
Click here to Send SithAce_1 a Private Message Find more posts by SithAce_1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Board Walker
I thought sidious was an amazing duelist with a saber?

He was. It's just Luke is better.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:45 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote