KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Vuvuzelas! Ban them or not.

Vuvuzelas, Ban them?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
No, they are part of the tradition of Africa and should be tolerated. 8 50.00%
Yes, damn annoying things 8 50.00%
A filter should be available on TV stations (if possible) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Total: 16 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vuvuzelas! Ban them or not.
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Spectators are part of the game and a component of home field advantage.

If a team complains they lost because of the sound, then there is no way they would of won anyways.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 06:51 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Spectators are part of the game and a component of home field advantage.

If a team complains they lost because of the sound, then there is no way they would of won anyways.

I really don't think anybody will actually blame the vuvuzela's for a loss, it's just that it can disturb communication for both parties. About the home field advantage, they use the vuvuzela at every match not just S.Africa's. I'm sure any other team at the tournament could do without the vuvuzela's.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 07:04 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

Originally posted by Slay
it's just that it can disturb communication for both parties.

Robin Van Persie stated he didn't hear the referee when going through while being on offside.
If this annoyance results into receiving cards, it should be banned because it is hindering the game.
For now they should switch the background sounds off, without any doubt.
Vuvuzelas do NOT create any ambiance. It is the same musquito zooming about on the same tone for 90 minutes. That's not atmosphere.

I was watching The Netherland's first game on and off. If I didn't check at the moment they scored, I wouldn't have known. The vuvuzelas do NOT go any louder or softer when a good action is shown or when someone scores (only if it is against South Africa so I hope they lose their last game in a humiliation fashion). The commentator for that game dislikes The Netherlands so he too talked very monotonuously which ment there was absolutely no animo ON the field (vuvuzelas being the same tone all the time) and OFF the field (commentator displaying no emotions).

When "non-African" (broad generalisation) supporters are "at work" they sing and dance and at least cheer loudly for a good action or a goal. Nothing monotone about that!
They interviewed one of the two "inventors" of that thing and he said that we should respect their way of celebrating and that they (in return) do not ask that we stop dancing and singing... at least that dancing and singing barely lasts the full 90 minutes and at least goes easier on the ears!
It surprises me African football fans aren't deaf.

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 07:13 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Slay
I really don't think anybody will actually blame the vuvuzela's for a loss, it's just that it can disturb communication for both parties. About the home field advantage, they use the vuvuzela at every match not just S.Africa's. I'm sure any other team at the tournament could do without the vuvuzela's.

I know.

I just think that a team can get past the horns and still play as well. It happens in every sport.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 07:15 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I've gotten used to it now.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 07:32 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Re: Vuvuzelas! Ban them or not.

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Anyone who has been watching the World cup games might have noticed this constant drone of Vuvuzelas from the croud, which is causing some debates.

The main Argument for them is that it is the tradition of the country hosting the World Cup so they should be tolerated.

The arguments against are the way they spoil the atmosphere of the game for viewers who are used to hearing cheers and "woo woo´s" during the game, as well as chants and singing. Some of the players have said they can´t hear what their team mates are saying or the referee.

What do you think?

I like this site

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jun 17th, 2010 07:45 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

They are annoying at first (sounding like a constant lower-pitched hum from a colony of Bees), but you get used to them eventually.

We already have people chanting, and using drums, so meh.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 01:52 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RogerRamjet
Playground Superstar

banishment is for fagz!

Sig by Scy!

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 01:52 PM
RogerRamjet is currently offline Click here to Send RogerRamjet a Private Message Find more posts by RogerRamjet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 04:01 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Yeah, the bee sound is annoying but I tune them out.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 04:30 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by WickedDynamite

laughing

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 04:34 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hatchet

They don't really bother me.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 04:39 PM
Hatchet is currently offline Click here to Send Hatchet a Private Message Find more posts by Hatchet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Might as well ban drums, and even crowd cheering/shouting and clapping as well.

How about holding the World Cup in Korean Republic next?
That seems logical for you.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 27th, 2010 11:28 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Might as well ban drums, and even crowd cheering/shouting and clapping as well.

How about holding the World Cup in Korean Republic next?
That seems logical for you.

WTF are you on about, cheering, chanting and the odd drum doesn´t cause a constant annoying drone which drowns out the whole friggin arena does it.

The last world cup was held in S.Korea and Japan. Brazil is next1

Old Post Jun 27th, 2010 11:36 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

I don't mind them at all, they give atmosphere to the games that I'm not used to.

However, today at Starbucks, I heard a man say to someone else: "You know what I think? They should ban goddamn vuvuzelas because they sound like Venezuela"

Y-yeah? I laughed. Hard.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2010 11:39 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Well, Dana just banned them in the UFC.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2010 08:57 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

I had no idea what the sound was during the first few games of stage 1.

I kinda like it.

TGFwashere

Old Post Jun 30th, 2010 09:07 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by The Nuul
Well, Dana just banned them in the UFC.

Smart man, fighters need to be able to hear their corner.

Did you know that bald **** is worth well over 200 million? He owns 10% of the UFC, which is worth something over 2 billion.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 30th, 2010 09:13 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote