KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Star Wars planets are all the same.

Star Wars planets are all the same.
Started by: Dr Mystery

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Star Wars planets are all the same.

How come in the Star Wars films, (and most other Sci-fi films for that matter) the planets only have one environment type?

Tatooine-Desert
Hoth-Ice
Dagobah-Swamp
Coruscant-"The whole planet is one giant city"

The only exception I can think of is Naboo, and even then you only see some countryside, under the ocean (which doesn't count in my opinion) and the city of Theed. I always wondered why there were never any planets like Earth with a little bit of everything. I do understand that it may be easier to sell an alien world that way to an audience but come on, paint the sky green or something!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2010 04:35 AM
Dr Mystery is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Mystery a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Mystery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr Mystery
How come in the Star Wars films, (and most other Sci-fi films for that matter) the planets only have one environment type?

Tatooine-Desert
Hoth-Ice
Dagobah-Swamp

The only exception I can think of is Naboo, and even then you only see some countryside, under the ocean (which doesn't count in my opinion) and the city of Theed. I always wondered why there were never any planets like Earth with a little bit of everything. I do understand that it may be easier to sell an alien world that way to an audience but come on, paint the sky green or something!

Alderaan?

Kashyyyk?

Corellia?

Yavin?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 25th, 2010 05:51 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Re: Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

Originally posted by roughrider
Alderaan?

Kashyyyk?

Corellia?

Yavin?

Alderaan? To my knowledge I've never seen.
Kashyyyk I think is just a jungle planet.
Don't know about Corellia.
I think you meant Yavin 4 Which as far as I can remember is a temple in a forest and a town square.

There's also,

Mustafar,

Geonosis,

Utapau,

Bespin,

Kamino,

To name but a few.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2010 01:10 PM
Dr Mystery is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Mystery a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Mystery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

My point is, those planets are not defined as being a one climate place.

Corellia wasn't seen on screen, but we saw Alderaan at the end of ROTS. It was like a planet-sized version of Switzerland, as Lucas described it.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 25th, 2010 06:10 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Fair enough. It's just something that's bugged me for years. I'd like to see someone try and do an "Earth, but slightly different" angle. I know Star Trek do it for the TV shows (and others I'm sure) and they're usually good episodes.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2010 07:17 PM
darthmaul1

Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

Tatooine-Desert
Hoth-Ice
Dagobah-Swamp

In star wars there is no time for that, at least in the movies anyway.
they are not going to explore the whole planet.
another 2 planets was the one where the penis head jedi got killed that had snow on it.
and the other one where the hot blue tweilek jedi got killed with all the huge flowers.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2010 04:21 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

That's right.
I forget the Name of the planet where Penis Head (I think his name is Ki-Adi-Mundi) was killed.
The hot blue Jedi is Rayla Secura and she was killed on Felucia.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2010 08:41 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Single biome planets, like single culture planets are inventions of sci fi that could probably never become reality.

Essentially it saves the writer the trouble of actually creating a vibrant world filled with contrasts like Earth.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2010 01:06 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I thought it was an intentional thing by Lucas? I think i remember him saying it in an interview years ago -tries to remember-

Also, penis head was killed on Mygeeto.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 27th, 2010 04:37 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

Kashyyyk I think is just a jungle planet.

I remember in this novel it is said that such is a common misconception among civilians in Star Wars. wink

Old Post Jul 27th, 2010 01:26 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I think they are all different in there own ways.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2010 02:12 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

It isn't that strange overall. If you look in our own solar system, most of our planets have one main environment with the only major differences being on their north and south poles. If a planet had more than one sun, it would even take care of some of that.

Though, not all the planets makes sense. The forest planet for instance. I would think that in order to have that much forest life, there would need to be a decent amount of rain, and thus would need large bodies of water to supply that rain.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2010 03:13 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
I remember in this novel it is said that such is a common misconception among civilians in Star Wars. wink

Woo hoo! I'm a civilian in the Star Wars Universe.

I suppose when you think about it Earth is predominantly a water planet.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2010 01:44 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Pretty much what I was just thinking!

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2010 01:43 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

That's right.
I forget the Name of the planet where Penis Head (I think his name is Ki-Adi-Mundi) was killed.
The hot blue Jedi is Rayla Secura and she was killed on Felucia.

No...

Aayla Secura.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2010 05:57 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

There was a classification of types of planetary atmospheres.

But really, one more can they do? It's like b*tching that sci-fi doesn't show any colors beyond the usual spectrum.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2010 11:48 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Well okay. what I think I'm getting at is that I'd like to see more cultural diversity in Sci-Fi movies. In the way that Earth has many races, beliefs, customs etc. Like I said, I know Star Trek do a bit of planetary civil war stuff with them interfering. But it just seems that a lot of films tend to go down the route of "One species, one belief, one language, one enemy per planet" type of thing.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 03:10 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Can you imagine how difficult it would be to come up with so much cultural variety for something like Star Wars? The movies, novels, and games are all story driven; there just isn't enough time or space (or patience) to create so many brand new cultures and peoples every time something new pops up. I'd never be bothered with Star Wars again if they wasted all their efforts doing that.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 03:34 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Yes, I know. I said in my first post that I understand that it is easier to do it this way, but given the scope that Sci-Fi can actually cover I'm kinda thinking why isn't there more interplanetary diversity at least thrown into the mix.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 03:45 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Because of that reason. There's no in-universe reason for it. There's no diversity because there's no time to create it. That's it.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 03:54 AM