KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Star Wars planets are all the same.

Star Wars planets are all the same.
Started by: Dr Mystery

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Of course there's time. There's always time in science fiction, a lot of it is about perspective anyway. I'm not necessarily talking about Star Wars, but the genre in general, I'm not saying it should be a rule of thumb and I'm not saying that it is wrong, I'm just saying that I'd like to see a bit more.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 04:04 AM
Dr Mystery is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Mystery a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Mystery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah me too, Earth-based cultures amongst aliens gets so boring. But on the scope of some sci-fi mythos, it's just impossible. They'd have to devote so much time and effort in to creating this stuff, and then somehow integrate in to the overall story arcs. The quality of the stories would decline as a result.

And that will just certainly not do.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 04:20 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr Mystery
How come in the Star Wars films, (and most other Sci-fi films for that matter) the planets only have one environment type?

Tatooine-Desert
Hoth-Ice
Dagobah-Swamp
Coruscant-"The whole planet is one giant city"

The only exception I can think of is Naboo, and even then you only see some countryside, under the ocean (which doesn't count in my opinion) and the city of Theed. I always wondered why there were never any planets like Earth with a little bit of everything. I do understand that it may be easier to sell an alien world that way to an audience but come on, paint the sky green or something!
You're serious, my God.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 07:36 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Old Post Aug 8th, 2010 01:31 PM
Dr Mystery is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Mystery a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Mystery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
omgchos
The Man From Ireland

U know if they made every sci-fi planet green or purple or whatever it wouldnt be very relatable. And i dont see the problem with earth like planets. I mean earth like planets would be the ones sustaining life.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2010 02:45 AM
omgchos is currently offline Click here to Send omgchos a Private Message Find more posts by omgchos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

How come in the Star Wars films, (and most other Sci-fi films for that matter) the planets only have one environment type?

Tatooine-Desert
Hoth-Ice
Dagobah-Swamp
Coruscant-"The whole planet is one giant city"

The only exception I can think of is Naboo, and even then you only see some countryside, under the ocean (which doesn't count in my opinion) and the city of Theed. I always wondered why there were never any planets like Earth with a little bit of everything. I do understand that it may be easier to sell an alien world that way to an audience but come on, paint the sky green or something!

budgeting

Old Post Aug 28th, 2010 11:58 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

There's plenty of planets in the EU with an Earth like environment.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2010 04:03 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Re: Re: Star Wars planets are all the same.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
budgeting

Not necessarily, Sci-Fi writers have a lot of imagination, enough to bypass budgeting problems I would imagine.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2010 04:09 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Not really. It's like trying to imagine a new color, if you've never experienced anything like it, you can't imagine it. If writers have only ever seen variations of Earth-like climates, Venus, gas giants, and atmosphere-less planets... what else can they use?

Old Post Sep 4th, 2010 01:04 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Enemy Mine and Alien Nation are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about. A film with a story that could as easily take place in our reality.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2010 04:03 PM
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Not really. It's like trying to imagine a new color, if you've never experienced anything like it, you can't imagine it. If writers have only ever seen variations of Earth-like climates, Venus, gas giants, and atmosphere-less planets... what else can they use?

Their imagination.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2010 04:04 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Their imagination.
Based on what? The human mind isn't capable of producing completely new things. Everything we think up--that we imagine, has a visual basis in reality--what we've experienced. For writers whose job it is to create a fiction galaxy full of quintillions of beings interacting in their own society, they have to create places that they'd feasibly live, and all they have is to draw from their own knowledge. Forest, plains, deserts, snow, water, mountains, storms, and visual variations of them are what we know.

I challenge you to think up a planet setting that's completely new. Completely new and original. Something that no one on Earth could possibly conceive.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2010 12:24 AM
alex30
Restricted

Account Restricted

i watched all the sequels but i like only the two parts

Old Post Sep 24th, 2010 05:50 AM
alex30 is currently offline Click here to Send alex30 a Private Message Find more posts by alex30 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

I challenge you to think up a planet setting that's completely new. Completely new and original. Something that no one on Earth could possibly conceive.

I'm not talking about coming up with a new setting/environment, and how could someone possibly concieve of something that no-one on Earth could concieve of? Once it it concieved then it ceases to be something that no-one on Earth could concieve of.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 02:54 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'm not talking about coming up with a new setting/environment, and how could someone possibly concieve of something that no-one on Earth could concieve of? Once it it concieved then it ceases to be something that no-one on Earth could concieve of.
So what are you demanding then? Something new, but not new?

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 11:48 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

You can see what happens when SW tried to have only 2 different ecosystems with 2 different species on the same planet...We ended up with Queen Amidala and Jar Jar Binks.

Not the best.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 12:22 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The 2 out of 3 worst things Star Wars ever experienced came from the same planet.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 12:50 AM
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

So what are you demanding then? Something new, but not new?

Read my posts more closely. I was asking why there isn't more cultural diversity on a planet to planet basis within the sci-fi genre? Why do the settings have to be characters in their own right? I'm not saying I want every movie to do this, I love Tatooine, Hoth, etc. I'm just saying that I'd like to see someone have a go at doing a storyline that could just as easily take place on Earth i.e. racism, political espionage things like that. I've already mentioned Enemy Mine and Alien Nation as examples, there is also Logans Run and IMO Event Horizon (as it's essentially The Shining in space), movies where the storyline itself takes the forefront and the setting is more or less a background thing. Again I re-iterate, I'm not saying all films should be like this (I'm not some sort of realism Nazi) just every now and then I'd find it refreshing to see a sci-fi film that didn't have to be a sci-fi film if it didn't want to.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 01:02 AM