KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Sherlock

Sherlock
Started by: Samurai100

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

The latest episode felt more like a filler than anything.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 11:42 AM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I thought so too at first, but they tied it together nicely. We forget after the Moriarty nonsense and the terror plot in S3E1 that not every episode needs to tie into the larger whole. A few episodes in the first couple seasons had nothing to do with the larger story...or at least so little to do with it that it hardly mattered. This episode, more than any other, solidified John and Sherlock's relationship.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 03:00 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The episode was great! The only issue with the series thus far is that whilst they have been very entertaining as extensions of some of the greatest successes of the show- i.e. the personalities and relationships of the main characters- we haven't actually had any good crime mysteries yet this series. The whole 'delayed stabbing' bit here was just a bit weird.

My favourite episode is still the first one of the first series- it set all the style, it fantastically introduced all the major players, and it had what I found to be an interesting case to solve (resolved very dramatically).

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 03:15 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

All said, this may be the best show on TV. Subjective as that distinction is, I'd at least say it's in the conversation. I suppose they're cheating with the format a bit - other shows have needed to pump out more content over a smaller time period, which adds certain narrative stresses that don't inhibit Sherlock's writers. But still, the quality hasn't dipped at all. There are other shows I enjoy more, but none I'd stack up to this one from a technical standpoint.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 08:14 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Miss me?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2014 02:47 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Holy. Fucking. Shit.
quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Miss me?

I did, lol.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2014 02:39 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The show has gone downhill hard for me. I still enjoyed it some, but it really seems more like fanservice and writers high fiving themselves over how clever they are.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2014 03:39 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

^I heavily disagree. The writers parodying fan-attempts at trying to find an explanation for how Sherlock faked his death is far from fanservice. The writers certainly write in a clever manner, even if they themselves aren't clever.

The various fan complaints regarding how this show is going down the path of a family drama series and the angst at Moriarity's return notwithstanding, this season has been probably the best season so far(yes, the show has only had 3 seasons, but still).

Old Post Jan 15th, 2014 09:44 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

There's a little fan service. It's hard to deny entirely. But at the same time, how they handled S3E1 with the theories was quite brilliant. Given the time in between seasons, and how big of a fan obsession it had become, there was no better way to do it.

I thought they'd [SPOILER - highlight to read]: keep Moriarty dead a little longer, maybe bring him back for S5, but it did feel slightly forced at the end of this season.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2014 04:01 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There is a sense in which the show has becomke about itself more than its premise now- we just had a whole series go by that didn't actually have any stories about criminal mysteries; they have instead all been character pieces.

But they've all been great! I don't see it as a cause for concern- though I'd still like a decent criminal setup in the next series.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2014 04:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DrDeadpool
Observer

I can't wait for season 4 !!!
Charles Augustus was the best villain i'v seen in my life!!! he was great.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2014 09:09 PM
DrDeadpool is currently offline Click here to Send DrDeadpool a Private Message Find more posts by DrDeadpool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

just got started watching this series....WOOOAAHH!! starting season 2 right now. One of the illest show i've seen on tv lately.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2014 01:17 AM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

ha! i'll be watching this special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Asbi4APb0

Old Post Jul 11th, 2015 09:51 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

thumb up

S4 in 2016, though. Meager crumbs for hungry fans, but I'll take it.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 04:45 AM
Arachnid1

We've got a trailer for the Victorian Christmas special. Looks great!

PWNT

Old Post Oct 7th, 2015 11:49 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I still need to watch S3.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 7th, 2015 11:50 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Mindset
I still need to watch S3.
You should! The last episode had one of my favorite villains in the show. Really well done

PWNT

Old Post Oct 8th, 2015 12:14 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Arachnid1
You should! The last episode had one of my favorite villains in the show. Really well done
Better than Moriarty?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 8th, 2015 12:24 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Mindset
Better than Moriarty?
Not exactly on that level, but I'll give him a comfortable second place

He's the smartest character on the show by far though. Dude could think circles around Sherlock.

PWNT

Old Post Oct 8th, 2015 02:04 AM
MADMAN01

[SPOILER - highlight to read]:
I think I figured out the special... Sherlock spent the two years after his "death" taking down Moriarty's empire but what if Sherlock missed a part of it and there is an organisation, just like the suffragettes organisation, that he missed. And that is what he refers to when he says "Did you miss me?", which refers to a part of Moriarty's empire that Sherlock has missed. So the whole case of the abominable bride wasn't to figure out how Moriarty had died but that Sherlock has actually missed a part of his organisation. Also, Moriarty references himself as a virus and appears as a virus on all screens when he "comes back". Hope that post wasn't too long.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2016 11:19 PM
MADMAN01 is currently offline Click here to Send MADMAN01 a Private Message Find more posts by MADMAN01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote