KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Go Home STRACZYNSKI!

Go Home STRACZYNSKI!
Started by: WanderingDroid

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Winnick's Green Arrow and Red Hood would be there too, imo.

I would say you are crazy because everything Winnick has ever touched has turned to crap... IMO cool

His Green Arrow wasn't as bad as his Titans run, but it wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination and it certainly wasn't seminal.

To each his own though I guess.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Aug 20th, 2010 08:54 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I would say you are crazy because everything Winnick has ever touched has turned to crap... IMO cool

His Green Arrow wasn't as bad as his Titans run, but it wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination and it certainly wasn't seminal.

To each his own though I guess.

Did you read his run on Batman?

If not, i suggest you rethink your stance until you do.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 20th, 2010 09:09 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I thought Under the Red Hood was mediocre (which I'm pretty sure was the general consensus), the animated film was much, much better than the actual run.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Aug 20th, 2010 09:20 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I thought Under the Red Hood was mediocre (which I'm pretty sure was the general consensus), the animated film was much, much better than the actual run.

I have to disagree. I think it's a great run, and i think Winnick gets far too much shit that he doesn't deserve.

He wrote the animated film too, iirc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 20th, 2010 09:43 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I was going to say Superman hasn't had a great arc this decade - certainly not in comparison to all the Doomsday/Cyborg related stuff in the 90's - until I remembered For Tomorrow.
Where is Brian Azzarrello anyway?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 20th, 2010 10:27 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by roughrider
I was going to say Superman hasn't had a great arc this decade - certainly not in comparison to all the Doomsday/Cyborg related stuff in the 90's - until I remembered For Tomorrow.
Where is Brian Azzarrello anyway?

Secret Origin, Our Worlds at War, Brainiac, Last Son, The Journey, Godfall?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 20th, 2010 10:57 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I have to disagree. I think it's a great run, and i think Winnick gets far too much shit that he doesn't deserve.

The thing that makes Winnick more on the edge of acceptance it's that he writes Jason as a Antagonist more than an A-hole. This is why Winnick wins in the Batman character area over Morrison. Take Damian for instance....I have NEVER seen a character get shove down the reader's throats as Morrison does with Damian. He's not likeable (only to fanboys) and he is not antigonistic but more of a spoil annoying brat. But somehow DC wants the readers to accept him. I can't speak for other Batman fans...but I can't accept him. No matter how much the character gets the spotlight in every story....he's just digestable.

Winnick took quite a challenge by taking on Jason. He knew that fans weren't so acceptable...so instead of shoving him down our throats...he shove him straight to the Antagonist level. He belongs there....to conclude....Jason is exactly what antagonist Batman character should be...whereas Damian is the A-hole spoil brat that needs to just go away.

But...what do I know? Been a Batman fan for nearly 23 years and like it or not Morrison, DC, and the Fanboys decide how Batman should be like....yep.

Superman, anyone?

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Aug 22nd, 2010 at 07:26 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 07:24 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by WanderingDroid
The thing that makes Winnick more on the edge of acceptance it's that he writes Jason as a Antagonist more than an A-hole. This is why Winnick wins in the Batman character area over Morrison. Take Damian for instance....I have NEVER seen a character get shove down the reader's throats as Morrison does with Damian. He's not likeable (only to fanboys) and he is not antigonistic but more of a spoil annoying brat. But somehow DC wants the readers to accept him. I can't speak for other Batman fans...but I can't accept him. No matter how much the character gets the spotlight in every story....he's just digestable.

Winnick took quite a challenge by taking on Jason. He knew that fans weren't so acceptable...so instead of shoving him down our throats...he shove him straight to the Antagonist level. He belongs there....to conclude....Jason is exactly what antagonist Batman character should be...whereas Damian is the A-hole spoil brat that needs to just go away.

But...what do I know? Been a Batman fan for nearly 23 years and like it or not Morrison, DC, and the Fanboys decide how Batman should be like....yep.

Superman, anyone?

you couldn't resist mentioning morrison?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 07:33 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

You know he eventually will pop out in this thread when someone brings out All Star Superman....it's going to happen. Might as well get my thoughts out of the way.

Anywhoo....how you like Bizzaro Supergirl?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 07:40 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

You know he eventually will pop out in this thread when someone brings out All Star Superman....it's going to happen. Might as well get my thoughts out of the way.

Anywhoo....how you like Bizzaro Supergirl?

i don't really read Supergirl. it's not that i don't like it, it's just not on my pull list. i'd give it a read if i was bored...

besides, luthor with his lois sexbot is more interesting to me lol...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 07:42 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Secret Origin, Our Worlds at War, Brainiac, Last Son, The Journey, Godfall?

I mean now.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 10:02 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I mean now.

now what?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 10:06 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

now what?

Is he doing anything at DC right now?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 10:30 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Is he doing anything at DC right now?

Secret Origin is still running. Brainiac and Last Son were very recent. The oldest one there is Our Worlds at War, which was in 2001. The rest were after that.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 10:32 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

He's doing First Wave at DC...which btw is pretty good! Must read!

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 10:32 PM
Q99

Winnick did honestly *great* stuff on EXiles (over at Marvel) and Green Lantern.

quote:
WanderingDroid
Take Damian for instance....I have NEVER seen a character get shove down the reader's throats as Morrison does with Damian. He's not likeable (only to fanboys)

IMO he works better over in Batgirl or Red Robin. When bouncing with Steph he can actually be fun.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2010 01:09 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

All the work done on Batman the past decade by good writers - Brian Azzarello, Paul Dini, Judd Winick, Ed Brubaker (and yes, Jeph Loeb) -
Grant Morrison is at the bottom of the list. I want street level crime fighting, not his kind of crazy. Arkham Asylum was two decades ago; that was his good Batman work.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2010 04:49 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Damian. I don't particularly like or dislike him.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 28th, 2010 11:07 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Who else has read Superman: Earth One by JMS?

I was underwhelmed.

You get to start over with Superman, and he does this safe approach? No even changing the costume a little?
And many ideas seemed recycled out of his Supreme Power days.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 11:25 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I read it. I too was underwhelmed.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 11:26 PM