KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » "Why MMA Fails"

"Why MMA Fails"
Started by: Quiero Mota

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Quiero Mota

quote: (post)
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
except for fluke heel locks laughing out loud

That wasn't a fluke; Chonan knew what he was doing.

Old Post May 18th, 2011 10:55 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

How does one do a fluke heel lock?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 18th, 2011 11:02 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by Mindset
How does one do a fluke heel lock?

He's reffering to this fight, in which Chonan defeated Silva via flying scissors heel-hook.

Old Post May 18th, 2011 11:12 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Mindset knows the fight he's talking about.

He saying that there is no such thing as a fluke heel hook. It's not exactly a technique that happens by accident or luck. If you landed it, you earned it.

Old Post May 18th, 2011 11:30 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by StyleTime
Mindset knows the fight he's talking about.

He saying that there is no such thing as a fluke heel hook. It's not exactly a technique that happens by accident or luck. If you landed it, you earned it.

Well...anything can become a fluke. If a guy throws a roundhouse, the opponent catches the kick, and it just so happens that the top of his foot is in the other guy's armpit, then he's essentially given him a free heel-hook. In that fight though, it was pure genius. Chonan had an ace up his sleeve that he saved for the right moment.

Also, the narrator in that video was talking as if Chonan beating Anderson Silva was equivalent to beating Michael Jordan at one-on-one. At the time, Silva wasn't the superstar he is now. He was just another up-and-comer. Me and all the other Pride fans were like "Who does that skinny black guy think he is?".

Old Post May 18th, 2011 11:40 PM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

I know it wasn't a fluke heel lock
thus the " laughing out loud " after i said it

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post May 19th, 2011 12:02 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Well...anything can become a fluke. If a guy throws a roundhouse, the opponent catches the kick, and it just so happens that the top of his foot is in the other guy's armpit, then he's essentially given him a free heel-hook. In that fight though, it was pure genius. Chonan had an ace up his sleeve that he saved for the right moment.

I have to disagree with that. The kicker still has plenty of opportunity to escape and the "heel hooker" still must actually get his opponent to the ground to try and stop counter movement. That is more capitalizing on a mistake than a fluke.

A fluke is more like....a guy throwing wild, aimless punches and landing a knockout blow when his superior opponent slips forward on a puddle of sweat.

Also, the narrator in that video was talking as if Chonan beating Anderson Silva was equivalent to beating Michael Jordan at one-on-one. At the time, Silva wasn't the superstar he is now. He was just another up-and-comer. Me and all the other Pride fans were like "Who does that skinny black guy think he is?".

We knew he was good, but yeah. Noone thought he'd be what he is today. I still remember when people thought Chris "Throw wild haymakers and hope they connect" Leben would destroy Silva.
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn

I used to watch whatever MMA came on then gradually grappling became so repetitive i stopped watching

Well, the grappling of today is lot more advanced than that of the past.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 19th, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Old Post May 19th, 2011 12:16 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Somebody who had dominated Hayato Sakurai (the best WW in the world at the time), knocked out Carlos Newton (just a few fights removed from losing the belt against Matt Hughes), whooped Jeremy Horn, and beat Lee Murray for the Cage Rage Middleweight Belt.

Now obviously at the time, Anderson didn't have the reputation that he does now. But was Chonan a huge underdog in that fight? You better believe it.

Old Post May 19th, 2011 12:23 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by StyleTime
I have to disagree with that. The kicker still has plenty of opportunity to escape and the "heel hooker" still must actually get his opponent to the ground to try and stop counter movement. That is more capitalizing on a mistake than a fluke.

A fluke is more like....a guy throwing wild, aimless punches and landing a knockout blow when his superior opponent slips forward on a puddle of sweat.

We knew he was good, but yeah. Noone thought he'd be what he is today. I still remember when people thought Chris "Throw wild haymakers and hope they connect" Leben would destroy Silva.
Well, the grappling of today is lot more advanced than that of the past.

Not "fluke" or "capitalizing", but rather windfall would probably be the better term. Like when you're walking down the street and find a 20-dollar-bill on the ground. The "heel hooker" would only need to fall backwards (the kicker would naturally go with him), then figure-four the kicker's trapped leg, and there ya go: heel-hook.

Having your kick caught is never ideal. I've been watching MMA for nearly two decades (even before the term itself "mixed martial arts" was coined), and I can tell you that getting a kick caught is rarely ever a good prognosis. Very seldom does it end in the kicker's favor. Few things will disrupt an offensive flurry faster, and flip the balance of control. Talk about a "combo breaker"...

Old Post May 19th, 2011 12:40 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not impressed with Silva. He got SOOOO lucky to be in a division of absolute shit, one dimensional fighters. And since it's so hard for lhw to note down to mw and too risky for wws to note up to that class, he's in a sweet spot of terrible. If there was a 190-195 division, he'd be dead. You realize he was going to retire before the ufc called? Name three well rounded mw fighters. Chael and who?

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post May 19th, 2011 06:36 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Angel

Originally posted by long pig
I'm not impressed with Silva. He got SOOOO lucky to be in a division of absolute shit, one dimensional fighters. And since it's so hard for lhw to note down to mw and too risky for wws to note up to that class, he's in a sweet spot of terrible. If there was a 190-195 division, he'd be dead. You realize he was going to retire before the ufc called? Name three well rounded mw fighters. Chael and who?

True, he isn't in a great weight division, but if you look at it, WW is also full of 1 dimensional fighters. And at least Anderson puts on a great show and gives us memorable fights everytime he fights (something the WW champion lacks sometimes coff* coff*).
Even his fight against Chael is memorable. Sometimes I even think he did on purpose in order to finish the fight with a BJJ move lol (I know, I know, he was dominated in that fight, whatever).

Old Post May 19th, 2011 07:28 PM
Darth Angel is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Angel a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by Darth Angel
True, he isn't in a great weight division, but if you look at it, WW is also full of 1 dimensional fighters. And at least Anderson puts on a great show and gives us memorable fights everytime he fights (something the WW champion lacks sometimes coff* coff*).
Even his fight against Chael is memorable. Sometimes I even think he did on purpose in order to finish the fight with a BJJ move lol (I know, I know, he was dominated in that fight, whatever).

WW division >>> MW division though.

Old Post May 19th, 2011 08:00 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can name a bunch of people in ww who could beat silva. Shields would kill him. And a lot more who could give him HUGE problems. As for finishing fights, don't be that stereotypical, blood lusted, un educated newbie who only wants ko's. I'm not saying you are, but most mma fans are. This is mixed MARTIAL ARTS, not a bar fight. I'd much rather see a technical chess match of a fight that goes the distance i.e GSP than a one sided 5 second ko i.e Silva. That's how you can tell the true fans from the idiots who don't know the diff between mma and the WWE.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post May 20th, 2011 06:54 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I miss when mma was my sport and very few people knew about it. UFC 1 in 93was a life changer for me. I was like 5, and watched it live with my dad. Watching it was the only thing we had in common and the only thing we ever did together other than boxing.....Dad was a great boxer. . It was our "thing" to do together all the way up until he died last week.

Supa-Mayne!

Last edited by long pig on May 20th, 2011 at 07:09 AM

Old Post May 20th, 2011 07:05 AM
Quiero Mota

I can name a bunch of people in ww who could beat silva. Shields would kill him.

What the f**k? Yeah....RIGHT.

I'd much rather see a technical chess match of a fight that goes the distance i.e GSP than a one sided 5 second ko i.e Silva. That's how you can tell the true fans from the idiots who don't know the diff between mma and the WWE.

Actually, a true fighter should be able to quickly put his opponent away (See: Cain Velasquez and Anderson Silva).

A fight that goes the distance isn't always a 'technical chess match'; it just means neither guy could best the other, and they're boring. Usually, anyways. As for GSP, I honestly believe that he could have easily dropped both Koscheck and Shields in the first round, but intentionally drew it out. He was just toying with them. Both fights occured in Canada, and he wanted to put on a good show for his countrymen. GSP wasn't being "cautious", he was being contemptuous; "you're beneath me, so I won't even give you 100%".

Old Post May 20th, 2011 09:18 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually, a true fighter should be able to quickly put his opponent away (See: Cain Velasquez and Anderson Silva).

A fight that goes the distance isn't always a 'technical chess match'; it just means neither guy could best the other, and they're boring. Usually, anyways. As for GSP, I honestly believe that he could have easily dropped both Koscheck and Shields in the first round, but intentionally drew it out. He was just toying with them. Both fights occured in Canada, and he wanted to put on a good show for his countrymen. GSP wasn't being "cautious", he was being contemptuous; "you're beneath me, so I won't even give you 100%".
You don't get it. In every combat sport where the guy comes out and smokes the opponet, it's considered a failure. Why? Because it means they weren't in the same skill class. I didn't say all decision fights were chess matches, but I can absolutely guarantee most fights that end .....

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post May 20th, 2011 11:24 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

in the first round via ko weren't chess matches. A 20 second fight isn't worth 50 dollars.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post May 20th, 2011 11:26 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

As for GSP toying with them and seeing them as beneath him......you're absolutely right. You can tell his ego is off the charts. I don't like that about him at all.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post May 20th, 2011 11:30 AM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

What the f**k? Yeah....RIGHT.

Yeah, right.

Old Post May 20th, 2011 03:07 PM
StyleTime

Not "fluke" or "capitalizing", but rather windfall would probably be the better term. Like when you're walking down the street and find a 20-dollar-bill on the ground. The "heel hooker" would only need to fall backwards (the kicker would naturally go with him), then figure-four the kicker's trapped leg, and there ya go: heel-hook.

Having your kick caught is never ideal. I've been watching MMA for nearly two decades (even before the term itself "mixed martial arts" was coined), and I can tell you that getting a kick caught is rarely ever a good prognosis. Very seldom does it end in the kicker's favor. Few things will disrupt an offensive flurry faster, and flip the balance of control. Talk about a "combo breaker"...

Windfall is better, but I still wouldn't call it less than capitalizing. It's really not that simple to do to someone who is trained, even if you catch their leg. I even seen counters that allow the kicker to get a heel hook on the catcher as well, but I haven't met anyone with those kinds of reflexes honestly. I guess it's just a matter of perception. It's too much effort exerted for me to chalk it up to luck, even if you were in a beneficial situation.

That's true of course; however, a heel hook seems higher up on the difficulty ladder than more standard responses to a caught kick(like sweeping their other leg or punching them.)
Name three well rounded mw fighters. Chael and who?

Lmao @ Chael being well rounded. Dude is a good wrestler and a great shit talker. That's....that's about it.
I can name a bunch of people in ww who could beat silva. Shields would kill him.

It's an interesting matchup, but let's not get beside ourselves.
I miss when mma was my sport and very few people knew about it. UFC 1 in 93was a life changer for me. I was like 5, and watched it live with my dad. Watching it was the only thing we had in common and the only thing we ever did together other than boxing.....Dad was a great boxer. . It was our "thing" to do together all the way up until he died last week.

Yeah. I do miss the exclusive appeal MMA had. I'm happy the fighters can make more money, but the ignorant masses desecrating sacred ground gets annoying sometimes. I swear if I hear another "armbar him already!" when two fighters are standing and miles apart from each other, I might ki blast the person next to me.
As for GSP toying with them and seeing them as beneath him......you're absolutely right. You can tell his ego is off the charts. I don't like that about him at all.

I don't know guys. GSP isn't arrogant, he's just gotten cautious ever since the Serra fight.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 20th, 2011 at 07:15 PM

Old Post May 20th, 2011 07:05 PM