KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » "Why MMA Fails"

"Why MMA Fails"
Started by: Quiero Mota

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, I was mostly thinking that you could potentially just have fights to the death. That would give you a good idea, probably happens in some parts of the world, too. But that's why I said, it's a pretty good gauge within western legal limits (I usually count Japan as "Western")

I agree that most normal people are rather ineffective, however if you talk about 7 people who fight often or are trained very well (even if in a somewhat ineffective style) it seems very unlikely that one fighter could beat them all, at least to me.

Ok. I can accept that. I think to the death matches are too hard to come for it to be a reliable gauge though.

I meant that mostly to the thugs you brought up. I don't think it's extremely likely either.

In any case, I am being unnecessarily argumentative. KMC does that to you. We're saying nearly the exact same thing, but I'm being "that guy" about it. stick out tongue

I'll drop it.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2010 05:42 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpadeKing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Why MMA Fails"

Originally posted by StyleTime
Ok. Looks like we're roughly on the same page in all honesty. I just highlighted that fighters hold back in a ruleset, but don't necessarily neglect their art during training.

I can agree with that somewhat. Most pro fighters may not train like....720 hook kicks, but it's less watering a style down than dojos who only point spar.

I do still disagree here. The sport fighter has every advantage. He's more conditioned, more skilled, better fundamentals, better reflexes, and trains more effective techniques. For example, pro fighters have better head movement than your average dojo dude. These fighters effectively move their entire heads out of the way of incoming strikes; to hit a target as small as their eyes in combat is unlikely. Even training such techniques would be difficult; eye gouging in training would leave students out of commission often and would probably cause many to quit honestly.

I referred to general combat effectiveness of the Navy SEALS. I didn't know if he meant specifically hand to hand.

In any case, we quickly approach the point of agreement here; I offer this as the intersection of our views. Two equally skilled fighters face off without rules, but one has a proven record of beating high level opponents with these "deadly" techniques. I would probably give him the advantage. That may be what you meant, but it came off as something else.

A real man would stay and volunteer to take the eye gouges

But really, I'm not too sure on the conditioning part, but sport fighters would more than likely win the physical strength conditioning, unless we're talking martial artists built like Bruce Lee. I'll give them skills in sense of having done more fights, fundamentals well that is basically what they train more on as opposed to training moves like butterfly kicks. Reflexes sports guys again I would guess, though some martial artists have amazing reflexes that could translate well into real fights, like the Wushu competitions though it is choreographed they have some impressively quick people.

In general Navy SEALs are definitely effective, H2H I still haven't heard any story of anyone in military using their H2H training other than basic training when recruits manage to PO a drill instructor enough.

Basically what I meant.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2010 09:25 PM
SpadeKing is currently offline Click here to Send SpadeKing a Private Message Find more posts by SpadeKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Mosty military H2H involves a knife or grabbing some kind of makeshift weapon. Putting up your dukes in modern warfare just doesn't seem very practical...or smart

Old Post Aug 28th, 2010 11:04 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Why MMA Fails"

Originally posted by SpadeKing
A real man would stay and volunteer to take the eye gouges

But really, I'm not too sure on the conditioning part, but sport fighters would more than likely win the physical strength conditioning, unless we're talking martial artists built like Bruce Lee. I'll give them skills in sense of having done more fights, fundamentals well that is basically what they train more on as opposed to training moves like butterfly kicks. Reflexes sports guys again I would guess, though some martial artists have amazing reflexes that could translate well into real fights, like the Wushu competitions though it is choreographed they have some impressively quick people.

In general Navy SEALs are definitely effective, H2H I still haven't heard any story of anyone in military using their H2H training other than basic training when recruits manage to PO a drill instructor enough.

Basically what I meant.

I know. I'm not a real man. sad

Cool.

Agreed.

I figured. That's why I dropped it.
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Mosty military H2H involves a knife or grabbing some kind of makeshift weapon. Putting up your dukes in modern warfare just doesn't seem very practical...or smart

I agree with that.

Also, thanks to everyone for remaining civil.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2010 11:10 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chongjing
Restricted

Account Restricted

I’m a super fan of NFL .I like Brandon Marshall very much. I have many M&N jerseys pics. And also have many jerseys of NFL NHL MLB NBA of all super teams. If you have the same interest with me. Contact me via email: spam removed. Maybe I can give you some useful advice and help.

Last edited by Paola on Sep 12th, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2010 09:59 AM
chongjing is currently offline Click here to Send chongjing a Private Message Find more posts by chongjing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

^Que dices, puto?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2010 10:03 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

This is pretty interesting:

This is a statue of an ancient Greek boxer, circa 600 BC.

(please log in to view the image)

^Notice how the leather hand-wrappings resemble modern MMA gloves.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2010 01:05 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

This is a statue of an ancient Greek boxer, circa 600 BC.

^Notice how the leather hand-wrappings resemble modern MMA gloves.
Very interesting. Good catch on that one.

Anyway, just to sum it up, I love Boxing Kickboxing and MMA. These 3 'sports' I value for the art.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Last edited by Dr. Leg Kick on Sep 10th, 2010 at 03:32 AM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2010 03:27 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

That is a cool find Quiero Mota.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2010 05:20 AM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
That's the only thing that matters, bro.

And, yes. Gina Carrano's ****in hot.

Hot damn! I've been looking for her name for a while. Glad I clicked this link. rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2011 12:34 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Angel

I would put my money in a guy like Overeem over 7 shaolin monks, that's for sure. After all, he fought 6 bouncers and put 5 in the hospital (I guess the last one ran for his life lol).

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2011 11:28 PM
Darth Angel is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Angel a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

He was fighting them with his brother. He wasn't alone.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 04:09 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Bouncers = Shaolin Monks?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 05:45 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

No, the bouncers are probably better fighters.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 03:57 PM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Much bigger and stronger too (f*ck the mystical "chi" bullshit).

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 04:48 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Angel

I know Alistair was with his brother but he knocked most of the guys, he even went to the hospital because his hand was getting infected for punching all that guys.
But hey, I could get more examples. Chuck was known for knocking out guys in bars. Aleksander Emelianenko beat the crap of a group of guys (not sure how many, but I think they were like half a dozen or something) who called ***** to his wife and a friend of her. Roger Huerta, a lightweight (155 lbs class) knocked out a guy who seemed to have 100 pounds on him in a streetfight. Actually you can see the situation here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmfX...feature=related

And by the way, I would take a big muscular bouncer, with probably some background in martial arts, over a shaolin monk anyday.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 11:30 PM
Darth Angel is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Angel a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

If half a dozen guys can't beat one person, even if they're a pro fighter, that's pitiful.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 4th, 2011 02:33 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by StyleTime
No, the bouncers are probably better fighters.

Not even. Some guy who checks ID cards for 8 bucks an hour > lifelong students of fighting? Gimmie a break.

Originally posted by batdude123
Much bigger and stronger too (f*ck the mystical "chi" bullshit).

Chi is nothing to screw with, actually. Its some scary stuff. Are you familiar with the discipline known as Iron Shirt? There's an episode of Fight Science about it, you should check it out. This one monk totally baffled the scientist and all their modern equipment with what he did.

Originally posted by Mindset
If half a dozen guys can't beat one person, even if they're a pro fighter, that's pitiful.

Right? That manager hired some sorry-ass bouncers.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 08:30 PM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Chi is nothing to screw with, actually. Its some scary stuff. Are you familiar with the discipline known as Iron Shirt? There's an episode of Fight Science about it, you should check it out. This one monk totally baffled the scientist and all their modern equipment with what he did.

Take a Shaolin Monk and put him up against somebody like Shogun, and he would get thoroughly embarrassed.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 08:51 PM
Senor Cage

I'd take the Shaolin Monk over a bouncer anyday. Plus, I heard of a Monk taking it to a bouncer type build not too long ago. One of those traveling monks that was showing off.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 09:30 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote