KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » original or extended??

original or extended??
Started by: colossulrage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
colossulrage

original or extended??

which version do you prefer the normal or extended cut of the movies?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2010 12:40 AM
colossulrage is currently offline Click here to Send colossulrage a Private Message Find more posts by colossulrage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Extended all the way baby!

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Sep 7th, 2010 02:47 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Extended. So much more complete as a saga, and they even fleshed out the action scenes to boot...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 7th, 2010 07:28 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
colossulrage

Ya but i like all the new parts except gandalf vs witch king. such B.S.! My fav is either the black speach in rivendell or the mouth of sauron

Old Post Sep 12th, 2010 07:32 PM
colossulrage is currently offline Click here to Send colossulrage a Private Message Find more posts by colossulrage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

the theatrical cuts i would say are objectively better films in terms of pacing, narrative flow, and general story-telling, particularly for people who aren't already fans.

However, given the nature of the series, and that it is a saga that is episodic, for someone like myself who is a fan, i almost always watch the extended edition because of the added richness of place and character. The sacrifice of narrative pull in exchange for narrative richness is one i would make for LOTR that i wouldn't for a different franchise like Indiana Jones or Batman or James Bond.

so short answer: they both have their merits and i love them both.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2010 03:46 AM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rapscallion
the theatrical cuts i would say are objectively better films in terms of pacing, narrative flow, and general story-telling, particularly for people who aren't already fans.

I disagree, there were some things in the theatrical cuts that didn't make sense, but when you watch the extended it does. Like how Galdalf didn't have is staff in the final battle. and (if i get the names wrong im sorry) eowin and Farimir coming together. and seeing Saraman die.

The extended films are way better. it is still very well paced and when they go through moria it show more so it takes longer, and you get they felling they are down there for days. not just what seems a couple of hours in the regular cut.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2010 05:26 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

Extended....

Extended....

11 and a half hours of awesomeness.

But just remember to have a physiotherapist on stand by if you're intending to marathon it so that you can be rehabilitated into walking again.

the man they simply nicknamed 'oh @#$%' !!!

rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jan 19th, 2011 10:39 PM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bleachboy

Since i bought the Extended editions i choose the extended. It feels much more complete. I now have a clear consience i have no more questions. I now know where they all get there cloaks, daggers and weapons from. I knew they got it from Galadriel, but now they included every introduction of every cloak/daggers/weapons.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2011 10:38 PM
Bleachboy is currently offline Click here to Send Bleachboy a Private Message Find more posts by Bleachboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

I haven't seen the original version except for a few times in theatres (looong ago). One of the most important scenes they lack is Faramir plagiarising Sam's thoughts (from the book) about the dead Southron.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2011 11:08 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Exabyte
I haven't seen the original version except for a few times in theatres (looong ago). One of the most important scenes they lack is Faramir plagiarising Sam's thoughts (from the book) about the dead Southron.

It's probably not a good thing - it's maybe a tad extreme - but I actually refuse to watch the theatrical cuts...

Old Post Mar 28th, 2011 02:36 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote