KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » King Kandy's Tourney: Draft 1

King Kandy's Tourney: Draft 1
Started by: King Kandy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
Draft 5: Magneto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto_(comics)

'bout time. Not saying he'll be the best pick when it's all said and done, but for this level it's like Surfer dropping to round 2 in a HH tourney.

And as it pertains to the Vulcan/Magneto debate, imo he's WAY less useful in a tourney setting than Mags is, overall levels be damned.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 02:51 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

magneto would have been my second choice

EDIT: everyone saw his Necronosha performance against Proteus?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 04:15 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rader
Person

Yeah, Magneto was my 3rd choice, but I was thinking about scrapping him anyways.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 04:38 AM
rader is currently offline Click here to Send rader a Private Message Find more posts by rader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Alright, i'm convinced by now.

Wait a sec. I may have some potential objections to Vulcan, but I'm not sure because I've got double check some stuff. But don't close the polls just yet, I'll try to get my concerns posted a little later tonight.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 04:50 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Alright, alright. I know if you think so, it's probably going to be at least sensible.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 05:01 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 06:00 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

vs magneto and Maddison Jeffries... ouch

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 06:02 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Digi
'bout time. Not saying he'll be the best pick when it's all said and done, but for this level it's like Surfer dropping to round 2 in a HH tourney.

And as it pertains to the Vulcan/Magneto debate, imo he's WAY less useful in a tourney setting than Mags is, overall levels be damned.

That may be right, Magneto has more showings and thus, more versatility. I was arguing strictly from a tier-placing point of view.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 12:03 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Alright, alright. I know if you think so, it's probably going to be at least sensible.

Sorry it took so long embarrasment

Anyway here are some potential problems I have with Vulcan(I say potential because I'm no expert on the guy so some of these may be misconseptions based on "forum talk", in which case I'll promptly drop them).

1. He beat Warlock at his own game(quantum energy manipulation I mean). And make no mistake, a non mystic being able to manipute exotic magical energy as easily as non magical energy is damn impressive, especially when his control is great enough to usurp power from someone like Warlock.

2. He was fighting evenly with Black Bolt until BB yelled. I mean Black Bolt has done well against guys like the Hulk and Thor WITHOUT yelling, so the fact that he finally pulled that card really says something for Vulcan. And since Vulcan specifically says that BB can't kill him because of his ability to generate, he might actually violate the rules in place about immortals and such. Think about it, BB's whispers have put down Hulk and Gladiator for longer than his scream put down Vulcan.

Now for those mentioning Magneto, I have no doubt that Mag's far greater number of appearances have yielded him better quantifiable feats than Vulcan managed to accumulate, but the thing is that because of all those appearances we have a truckload of low end showings from throughout his career to counter his high end feats and keep him at low herald. Vulcan on the other hand was continuously improving and becoming more impressive right up until the end and alot of his "low showings" are actually just instances of him being inexperienced rather than showings that demonstrate the limits to his powers. He may have been a "low herald" level character at some point, but by the time of his death he was on the level of guys like Warlock and Black Bolt(both of whom I feel are above "Low Herald").

We've seen characters without established limitations like Vulcan drafted in lots of tourneys, and it's almost always regreted later on. Remember how regrettful batdude was that he allowed Black Alice and the Keeper on the basis that they hadn't done anything to specifically place them above Thanos? How about when there was some confrontation between Digi and Evan about the Doctor(not that it was the primary source of the confrontation though)? If nothing else I think Vulcan should fall into the category of Dr Doom, too close to risk it. Hell even id said that he falls into the grey line between low and mid herald if I'm not mistaken.

While I'm thinking about it, which version of Starhawk is being drafted?

Last edited by darthgoober on Oct 14th, 2010 at 01:44 PM

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 01:34 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by darthgoober
While I'm thinking about it, which version of Starhawk is being drafted?

What about Starhawk do you find contensious? He and the guardians of the galaxy have gotten beaten pretty handly by Surfer on occasion.

minus the speed, I don't see how he is much above other draft choices thus far?

I didn't know about that Vulcan vs Warlock thing, when did that happen?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 01:59 PM
darthgoober

Originally posted by inimalist
What about Starhawk do you find contensious? He and the guardians of the galaxy have gotten beaten pretty handly by Surfer on occasion.

minus the speed, I don't see how he is much above other draft choices thus far?

I didn't know about that Vulcan vs Warlock thing, when did that happen?

Depends, I don't really have a problem with the guy Starhawk unless they've amped him since they revived the GoG, but from what I understand his wife was a bit more powerful than him so she probably wouldn't qualify for this.

I can't remember the issue number for the Warlock/Vulcan fight, but it's posted in Vulcan's respect thread.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 02:04 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Guardians of the Galaxy v2 14.

Starhawk fought a more experienced alternate Surfer , if anything, that's hard to gauge compared to regular versions of those characters.

Vulcan also managed to beat the leader of a race who was powerful enough to thrash Gladiator thanks to energy manipulation.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 02:05 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by darthgoober
Depends, I don't really have a problem with the guy Starhawk unless they've amped him since they revived the GoG, but from what I understand his wife was a bit more powerful than him so she probably wouldn't qualify for this.

I can't remember the issue number for the Warlock/Vulcan fight, but it's posted in Vulcan's respect thread.

I would say regular Starhawk is stronger than regular Aleta. Aleta as Starhawk is another beast entirely though.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 02:06 PM
darthgoober

Originally posted by Bentley
I would say regular Starhawk is stronger than regular Aleta. Aleta as Starhawk is another beast entirely though.

Cool. I was unsure of the details, I just know they shared a body at one point and I remember hearing something about the female Starhawk being a step or two about the male version.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 02:09 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by Bentley
Guardians of the Galaxy v2 14.

Starhawk fought a more experienced alternate Surfer , if anything, that's hard to gauge compared to regular versions of those characters.

iirc, Surfer Annual 4, Starhawk goes a few panels with Surfer solo (by which I mean, surfer blasts him pretty good and Starhawk doesn't die), but eventually Surfer beats him and the entire Guardians squad

afaik, Starhawk has never been as powerful as surfer... again, I'm new at this though

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 03:52 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Starhawk was defeated by Surfer before, but I only recall fights again the Keeper (future Surfer), who is not exactly the same as 616 Surfer. I'm pointing out, not saying Starhawk would beat Norrin.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 04:02 PM
tsilamini

no, totally, I'm just talking about what I've seen. At this point, I'd almost assume you have a better background knowledge of the character.

I'd just point out though, people like Magneto have feats with their shields or energy manip that would appear to put them over the limit. Would Starhawk take Surfer a majority out of 10?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 05:47 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Nah, I haven't seen every Starhawk feat but by sheer flexibility Norrin should be well above him. He has good high showings but he's not all that consistant imo.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 06:40 PM
King Kandy

I don't know how Surfer's getting pulled in here. Surfer is the top of the high herald tier. Even if you lose to him, it doesn't make you a low herald. Not saying Starhawk is too powerful, but him losing to Surfer is really besides the point.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 10:05 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Draft Six: Iron Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man

One would assume that the drafter will need to specify which armor is being used. I'd go with Extremis if it were me (I say this in case it's a newcomer who may be overwhelmed at the choices and needs a direction), because he's a sneaky pick and I'd like to see him used well...generally considered a tier below LH, but with enough tools to be useful at this level.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 11:32 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote