KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » MMA vs Thread. Who would win....

MMA vs Thread. Who would win....
Started by: long pig

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

Henderson, imo.

He's a better version of Couture.

Now granted, Couture went 1-2, but that's where the better comes in.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Last edited by Mindset on Apr 18th, 2011 at 05:37 AM

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 05:35 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

One of my favorite fights of all time:

Sergei Kharitonov vs Big Nog

Epic back and forth battle.

If we had a rematch today, how do you guyz see the outcome.

Khationov vs Nogueira II

quote: (post)
Originally posted by batdude123
Prime Liddell vs. Prime Henderson

Hendo via Decision

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 06:45 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's a fight. I you can't get the guy off you, too bad. You lose. The stand up rule is bullshit. The rules should never give a fighter the option to not fight. Any way. Current Cruz up Current Faber?

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 07:29 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by Mindset
Henderson, imo.

He's a better version of Couture.

Now granted, Couture went 1-2, but that's where the better comes in.

Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Hendo via Decision

Interesting.

As far as Hendo/Couture is concerned, they are pretty similar in a lot of ways. However, there are some advantages I'd assign to each of them. I think Couture is the slightly better wrestler (Henderson has been thrown around way too many times throughout his career by "non-wrestlers" to make me think otherwise), more technical striker, and has superior jiu jitsu. Henderson, on the other hand, has more power in his hands, and has a better chin.

Now, on to Chuck vs. Henderson; I'd personally take Chuck. Chuck was the much more versatile striker of the two, and just all around better on the feet. When he was in his prime, he did a great job of mixing in leg kicks and head kicks along with his punches. He always kept his opponents guessing by throwing feints with kicks to set up punches, or vice-versa. Dan was/is a pretty one-dimensional striker. He threw wild, looping punches that left himself pretty exposed in exchanges. With Chuck being a great counter-puncher, I think he'd take advantage of that. Now Dan had (and still does to this day) a pretty epic chin, however he has been rocked a decent amount of times in the past. In Chuck's prime, he had the power knock anybody out with one huge shot. I think if Chuck landed, he'd at least be able to knock Dan down and then finish him with strikes on the ground.

As far as Henderson's wrestling advantage is concerned, I doubt it would play much of a role in the fight. Chuck's sprawl was legendary, and even if Dan somehow managed to get him to the ground, Chuck always had the ability to pop right back up to his feet.

So that's how I see it. I think Chuck would have won either by 3rd round TKO or unanimous decision.

One of my favorite fights of all time:

Sergei Kharitonov vs Big Nog

Epic back and forth battle.

Khationov vs Nogueira II

Sergei.

Originally posted by long pig
It's a fight. I you can't get the guy off you, too bad. You lose. The stand up rule is bullshit. The rules should never give a fighter the option to not fight. Any way. Current Cruz up Current Faber?

Cruz.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 04:59 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Khationov vs Nogueira II

Hard to say. My kneejerk response Kharitonov.
As far as Henderson's wrestling advantage is concerned, I doubt it would play much of a role in the fight. Chuck's sprawl was legendary, and even if Dan somehow managed to get him to the ground, Chuck always had the ability to pop right back up to his feet.

So that's how I see it. I think Chuck would have won either by 3rd round TKO or unanimous decision.

Yeah, Chuck's takedown defense would be a huge factor in that match. I personally don't think Hendo can really compete with Chuck Prime's striking practically at all.

I see it ending similarly to Anderson vs Hendo minus the takedown.....

and in RD 2.

Anderson Silva vs Chuck Liddell (Prime.)

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 18th, 2011 at 06:46 PM

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 06:42 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Batdude:

Only reason I wouldn't say Chuck is due to his stance. His hands are just so low. In his prime Chuck took some great shots from Vitor and was able to recover very fast, but I can't compare that to Hendo's power.

It would be an interesting match up in their primes.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 07:55 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by StyleTime
Yeah, Chuck's takedown defense would be a huge factor in that match. I personally don't think Hendo can really compete with Chuck Prime's striking practically at all.

I see it ending similarly to Anderson vs Hendo minus the takedown.....

and in RD 2.

Yeah, something like that.

Originally posted by StyleTime
Anderson Silva vs Chuck Liddell (Prime.)

This is a trap.

If I try to make a case for Chuck, I'll just be looked at as a fanboy.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 08:02 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Batdude:

Only reason I wouldn't say Chuck is due to his stance. His hands are just so low. In his prime Chuck took some great shots from Vitor and was able to recover very fast, but I can't compare that to Hendo's power.

It would be an interesting match up in their primes.

I just can't see Henderson's striking being that much of a threat to him, in all honesty. Yeah, he has huge power in his hands, but really, that's all he'd have to offer. Guys that Chuck beat back in his prime like Overeem, Belfort, Mezger, and Suloev are all better strikers than him. And Dan's second fight with Misaki just further proves my point. He was getting picked apart with punches and leg kicks, something Chuck did very well back then. I think Chuck would use his reach advantage and throw straight punches and leg kicks to counter Dan's wild looping haymakers, then press the action when the time is right.

There's really nothing I've seen to make me think otherwise.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 08:26 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

I just can't see Henderson's striking being that much of a threat to him, in all honesty. Yeah, he has huge power in his hands, but really, that's all he'd have to offer. Guys that Chuck beat back in his prime like Overeem, Belfort, Mezger, and Suloev are all better strikers than him. And Dan's second fight with Misaki just further proves my point. He was getting picked apart with punches and leg kicks, something Chuck did very well back then. I think Chuck would use his reach advantage and throw straight punches and leg kicks to counter Dan's wild looping haymakers, then press the action when the time is right.

There's really nothing I've seen to make me think otherwise.
All valid points, that stance still bothers me though.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:25 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Have you guys been keeping up with bellator? Very good this year. I got my eye on rick haun to steal the ww title from askren. Worldclass judo and great KB kills. Does Bella' deserve its own thread?

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:40 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don Frye vs Dan Severn...... 'stash war! Whose nose-cozy wins? During Frye's stint in PRIDE, his mustach single handedly protected democracy.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:50 AM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

All valid points, that stance still bothers me though.

But if you look at those fights back then, he didn't really have his hands down low. I was just watching his fight with Amar Suloev the other day, and he held his hands in a damn-near peek-a-boo style position.

Plus, he never made himself a stagnant target. He was constantly moving and creating angles which made him harder to hit.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 03:47 PM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Don Frye vs Dan Severn...... 'stash war! Whose nose-cozy wins? During Frye's stint in PRIDE, his mustach single handedly protected democracy.

Dan via lay 'n pray.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:29 PM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Truth.

Chael is God.
god needs performance enhancers? erm

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 06:46 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

& if you think GSP can beat silva you're smoking some dangerous stuff laughing out loud

weight,reach,height all go to silva. theres a reason for weight class

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Last edited by 0mega Spawn on Apr 19th, 2011 at 06:55 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 06:50 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
& if you think GSP can beat silva you're smoking some dangerous stuff laughing out loud

The difference in reach between the two is negligible. GSP has a 76 inch reach, and I think Anderson's is 77. It's aesthetically misleading because Anderson is taller.

And I'd agree that the weight would make a difference... if only Anderson could stuff GSP's takedown attempts. It's been said by Greg Jackson that during training, GSP is easily able to take down the light heavyweights he spars against, who are more than likely 220+ pounds before the cut. And as we've seen before, Anderson doesn't exactly have the best takedown defense in the world.

As far as GSP's conditioning is concerned at a bigger weight class, I don't think he'd take a fight that he wasn't 100% prepared for. If he took the time to intelligently put on more weight, like Jake Shields did, it shouldn't make a difference.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 07:19 PM
Naija boy

Definitely could see prime chuck beating Hendo...

Anderson beating Prime Chuck

kharitonov would take Nogueira currently i would say.

Ok who would u guys go for in

Ben Askren vs Nick Diaz?

Prime Wanderlei vs 205 Couture

Josh Barnett (from 2002-06) vs Cain Velasquez?

All thanks goes to starlock.
"Beware trolls, know me and know fear"

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 07:36 PM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by Naija boy
Ben Askren vs Nick Diaz?

I'd take Ben, in all honesty. I just think it's a bad stylistic match up for Nick. He's had problems with wrestlers in the past, and Ben is one of the very best pure wrestlers in MMA today. Plus, Ben has the jiu-jitsu chops to defend Nick's submissions and sweeps. His top control is pretty sick.

Prime Wanderlei vs 205 Couture

Couture, for reasons that are similar to my above statement.

This is a pretty interesting match up. I think overall, Cain is the better pure wrestler, but Josh's BJJ is better. He's pretty slick with his submissions and sweeps. Striking-wise, I'd call it a wash. Barnett's stand-up looked great when he knocked out Pedro Rizzo (though it didn't take place during his 02-06 era). I really wouldn't know who to pick here.

On a side note, I've always felt that Barnett would be a stylistic nightmare for Lesnar, even today. I feel like he's big enough and his wrestling is good enough to defend Brock's take down attempts, and even if he did get taken down, he's better than Brock on the ground. And when it comes to striking ability, Barnett is miles ahead of Brock. If Barnett touched Brock's chin, he'd go into "turtle mode."

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 08:44 PM
StyleTime

This is a trap.

If I try to make a case for Chuck, I'll just be looked at as a fanboy.

evil face
Have you guys been keeping up with bellator? Very good this year. I got my eye on rick haun to steal the ww title from askren. Worldclass judo and great KB kills. Does Bella' deserve its own thread?

I think the UFC/Pride thread should be renamed, but that is where MMA competition stuff should go.

Frye's mustache wins 3 seconds into RD 1.
On a side note, I've always felt that Barnett would be a stylistic nightmare for Lesnar, even today. I feel like he's big enough and his wrestling is good enough to defend Brock's take down attempts, and even if he did get taken down, he's better than Brock on the ground. And when it comes to striking ability, Barnett is miles ahead of Brock. If Barnett touched Brock's chin, he'd go into "turtle mode."

thumb up

Batdude already covered it pretty nicely, so this won't be long. Crocop managed to dominate Josh with his top game, so a wrestler like Cain might win a decision if he avoids submissions while applying g'n'p.

On the other hand, I haven't seen Cain take on Barnett's level of submissions; additionally, I think it'd take near Crocop Prime levels of striking to make a difference on the feet. I don't rank Cain's striking on that level, so I'd probably go with Barnett.

Plus, long live Pride. sad

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 19th, 2011 at 09:15 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 09:08 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn

This is where you can tell the casual fans and the hardcore mma junkies apart. They get swept up with all the hype. GSP is faster, more explosive, stronger, better conditioned and far more well rounded. And i don't care what anyone says, gsp said himself he walks around at 200 plus lbs. And seeing GSP is a superb striker who is even better now. The stand up isn't that far apart. When you add fear of takedowns, GSP will absolutely out strike him. Just like Chael out struck silva on the feet(Silva got rocked and put on his ass at least once every round. Chael got rocked once). Fact is, Silva is an easier win for Georges than some of the 180lbs gatekeepers.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 07:05 AM