KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » MMA vs Thread. Who would win....

MMA vs Thread. Who would win....
Started by: long pig

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SpadeKing

Not that I'm really getting into this vs. but didn't Silva have Chael beat in stand up the last two rounds before he got taken down for the rest of the round(s) again.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 11:55 PM
SpadeKing is currently offline Click here to Send SpadeKing a Private Message Find more posts by SpadeKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

No. Not in the least. He rocked Chael once, that's it. The rest of the time Chael outboxed him totally rocking him two or three times a round and knocking him down once every round. It was total domination. And honestly, Chael's boxing is terrible. GSP'S striking is superb. People forget that GSPs base is striking. That's what he started out as: A kickboxer . The bjj came later and the world class wrestling is VERY new. Like six years ago he had no wrestling to speak of. If they fought, it'd go down like this: Rnd 1 AS, the slowest starter in mma will get taken down the first kick he throws. GSP will disrupt his flow early an often with pressure while taking him down at will until he's afraid to commit fully with strikes and he'd stop kicking all together. Rnd 2 AS comes on hard, gets taken down and pounded. 345 same. GSP wins. AS is my fav fighter, but he needs to run the fick away from this fight. Stylistically, it's like GSP was created to beat Silva.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 07:29 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Speaking of GSP'S power, did you guys see him benchpressing 375lbs last week? How the hell can he be that strong? Later he lifted 450 over his shoulders and was jumping over shit. WTF? That guy's on roids, he has to be.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 07:38 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpadeKing

I re-watched the last two and yeah it was only the 4th round. I can't remember anything else from rounds 1-3 except ground and pound.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 01:22 PM
SpadeKing is currently offline Click here to Send SpadeKing a Private Message Find more posts by SpadeKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by long pig
Speaking of GSP'S power, did you guys see him benchpressing 375lbs last week? How the hell can he be that strong? Later he lifted 450 over his shoulders and was jumping over shit. WTF? That guy's on roids, he has to be.
He's a pro athelete and he weighs around 200 lbs.

375 bench isn't really impressive.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 03:28 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Anytime you can bench press twice your weight, it is impressive. Especially considering he doesn't weight train just to see how much he can put up, but rather, he does it to make him a better and more efficient fighter in the cage. And hell, I doubt most heavyweights can bench 375.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 04:01 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naija boy

whoa...chael knocked Anderson silva down once every round? rocked him 2 or three times each round? lmao @ peoples imagination getting the better of them.

All thanks goes to starlock.
"Beware trolls, know me and know fear"

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 04:59 PM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by batdude123
Anytime you can bench press twice your weight, it is impressive. Especially considering he doesn't weight train just to see how much he can put up, but rather, he does it to make him a better and more efficient fighter in the cage. And hell, I doubt most heavyweights can bench 375.
Benching almost twice your weight isn't impressive for a professional athlete.

Yes, he lifts to get stronger; that's usually the idea.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 09:37 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by Mindset
Benching almost twice your weight isn't impressive for a professional athlete.

Yes, he lifts to get stronger; that's usually the idea.

The vast majority of professional athletes bench nowhere near twice their weight. That includes heavyweights in MMA.

Mixed martial artists weight train mainly for muscular endurance purposes. They don't train just to get bigger, because that isn't practical when they have to potentially fight for 15-25 minutes.

And quite frankly, unless it can be substantiated with actual proof rather than hearsay, I'm gonna call bullshit on GSP being able to bench 375.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 10:38 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Stronger doesn't necessarily mean bigger.

I disagree.

Now apologize.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 11:35 PM
StyleTime

Apart from fan speculation, I haven't seen evidence that GSP benchpresses 375 lbs.

long pig claims there's a video out there, so I'll have to wait until I see it.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 12:30 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Naija boy
whoa...chael knocked Anderson silva down once every round? rocked him 2 or three times each round?
In the first 20 seconds of round 1 AS was knocked down with a jab. The only time that didn't happen was the th round when chael ran into an elbow while going for the TD. AS was on top for maybe ten seconds before he got reversed and put on his back. There's two possible reasons why Chael dominated the striking: 1. Chael was the first to take the fight to AS aggressively exposing Silva's long known lack of striking defense(All his teammates have that weakness). or 2: Chael's wrestling and pace had him spooked, leaving him with little offense. It was probably both. Now, look at GSP. He's the best practical wrestler in mma. A good enough technical wrestler to probably compete in the Canadian Oly's, he's a good enough striker to do well in K1 if not win a title. He's won many BJJ titles. He's a Silva-Buster

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 12:10 PM
Darth Angel

Originally posted by Mindset
Stronger doesn't necessarily mean bigger.

I disagree.

Now apologize.

You seem to have no clue about power training to be honest. Anyone who can bench press twice his weight is impressive, no matter what the sport they do.

And while stronger doesn't mean necessarily bigger, the true is that it USUALLY means that. Put 10 lbs of muscle mass in your body and you will notice the overall difference that it will make in your performances, both in strength training or in other froms of contact sports.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 04:05 PM
Darth Angel is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Angel a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naija boy

In the first 20 seconds of round 1 AS was knocked down with a jab. The only time that didn't happen was the th round when chael ran into an elbow while going for the TD. AS was on top for maybe ten seconds before he got reversed and put on his back. There's two possible reasons why Chael dominated the striking: 1. Chael was the first to take the fight to AS aggressively exposing Silva's long known lack of striking defense(All his teammates have that weakness). or 2: Chael's wrestling and pace had him spooked, leaving him with little offense. It was probably both. Now, look at GSP. He's the best practical wrestler in mma. A good enough technical wrestler to probably compete in the Canadian Oly's, he's a good enough striker to do well in K1 if not win a title. He's won many BJJ titles. He's a Silva-Buster

Chael Sonnen, legitmately knocked Anderson down once in that fight and he slipped the second time. The claim that he rocked Silva two to three times on the feet in each round and knocked him down in every round is just a nonsensical fabrication. Its exxageration bordering on hallucination. Anybody who watched that fight saw this....

Chael outstriking silva likely had to do with Silvas fear of the takedown yes, and Silvas apparent rib injury slowing him down. Not the point however as the events u are claiming occured DID NOT and this is indisputable.

GSP is a tough matchup for Silva no doubt however, as his style is the antithesis to everything Silva. However........outstriking Josh koscheck does not give u good enough striking to win a k1 title.........I mean seriously. Also what are some these Bjj titles GSP has won?

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 06:20 PM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Darth Angel
You seem to have no clue about power training to be honest. Anyone who can bench press twice his weight is impressive, no matter what the sport they do.

And while stronger doesn't mean necessarily bigger, the true is that it USUALLY means that. Put 10 lbs of muscle mass in your body and you will notice the overall difference that it will make in your performances, both in strength training or in other froms of contact sports.
Actually, I probably have more experience/knowledge in strength and conditioning than you do. This doesn't even have to do with knowledge of wieght training, though, it's common sense. It's not impressive when a large segment of comparable athletes can do it. If everyone could run as fast as Usain Bolt he wouldn't be impressive.

You can get stronger w/o putting on 10lbs of muscle, you can get stronger and gain 10lbs of muscle but stay relatively the same weight because you've lost lbs of fat.

Now go away.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 08:00 PM
Mindset

^ Forgot to add, GSP isn't benching twice his weight.

I'm kinda thinking like Batdude now though, I'm skeptical if he can actually bench 375.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 08:26 PM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Naija boy
Chael outstriking silva likely had to do with Silvas fear of the takedown yes, and Silvas apparent rib injury slowing him down. Not the point however as the events u are claiming occured DID NOT and this is indisputable.

GSP is a tough matchup for Silva no doubt however, as his style is the antithesis to everything Silva. However outstriking Josh koscheck does not give u good enough striking to win a k1 title.. Also what are some these Bjj titles GSP has won?
Watch it, he rocked or knocked him down every round but one, MAYBE two. He slipped because he was rocked. Have you ever watched k1? I doubt it. Otherwise you'd know you don't need to be the best striker in the world to compete and win a title. You just need to quite above average, which gsp is, coupled with his athletic ability, he could win a title. Tank Abbot did well in k1. Who has ever outstruck Gsp? Penn? As for bjj awards, he's placed second twice in the Ontario based CGC.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2011 09:46 AM
Naija boy

Watch it, he rocked or knocked him down every round but one, MAYBE two. He slipped because he was rocked. Have you ever watched k1? I doubt it. Otherwise you'd know you don't need to be the best striker in the world to compete and win a title. You just need to quite above average, which gsp is, coupled with his athletic ability, he could win a title. Tank Abbot did well in k1. Who has ever outstruck Gsp? Penn? As for bjj awards, he's placed second twice in the Ontario based CGC.

Ive watched the fight numerous times this is indisputable. Ask anyone else who actually did watch the fight, chael sonnet didn not knock Anderson silva down every round or rock him two to three times every round. That is utter nonsense and a figment of ur imagination.

And yes I do watch k1 and Gsp is not going into k1 to win a k1 title. I'm not one of those that believes that k1 striking is unbelievably above what is found in mma as I think that with there are many different aspects that aren't tsking into account in k1 such as double handed clinches,elbows,fear of takedowns etc.
However, it is highly unlikely that gsp who isn't even the best striker in his mma division and whose striking benefits alot from his takedown threat will waltz into k1 and start beating their top guys.

Gsp hasn't been outstruck in mma save Matt sera yes but that is largely due to the fact that he fights smart and takes down most strikers he faces. Furthermore, placing second in Ontario based grappling contests is hardly the same as "winning many bjj tournaments" I mean sheesh, talk about exaggerations.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2011 05:08 PM
BruhMan
World Champion

Just thought I'd throw something in on the silva/sonnen subject. Silva said in a couple interviews after that fight that his whole goal was to get Chael in the triangle. It was because of how cheal put down the noguiera bros bjj. Also him saying something like he doesn't get caught with his head between another man's legs because he's a republican. When all was said and done, silva finished him how he wanted to. I just didnt think all that many people knew that the triangle was what silva wanted to land the whole fight. The fact that he was injured during the fight makes the win all the more impressive in my opinion.

Old Post May 7th, 2011 09:40 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

That's why Silva came out wearing the Gi^

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post May 8th, 2011 12:06 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote