KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Robert Reynolds: The Sentry

Robert Reynolds: The Sentry
Started by: "Id"

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rage.Of.Olympus

So I just read the issue and it makes no sense. Why would killing Ares weaken him yet he can go on rampage and kill everyone including Thor without slowing down?

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 04:50 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ankur29
ankur

raah who cares...

sentry was hardcore in that issue he smoked thor ... big grin and everyone else

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 05:44 PM
ankur29 is currently offline Click here to Send ankur29 a Private Message Find more posts by ankur29 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bbrem123

ill go by the actually issue...not a what if...like the art tho in that

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 06:40 PM
bbrem123 is currently offline Click here to Send bbrem123 a Private Message Find more posts by bbrem123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ The scan that was posted retells the happenings of Siege, as they transpired in the mainstream universe... Then it goes on to the actual 'What If'.

There's no reason it shouldn't be regarded as canon. Imo.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 08:11 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R3d33m3r

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
^ The scan that was posted retells the happenings of Siege, as they transpired in the mainstream universe... Then it goes on to the actual 'What If'.

that goes to show you even in DEATH they cant get the damn Sentry right. Killing Ares did NOT weaken void at ALL. The ONLY thing that killed sentry was Bob... B O B.

i swear how to writers get away with such HORRIBLE writing.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 02:18 AM
R3d33m3r is currently offline Click here to Send R3d33m3r a Private Message Find more posts by R3d33m3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

That What If, is using Ares Death as a plot device to push its story forward. The idea that Sentry over exerted himself in killing Ares, and therefore weakened him should be ignored since it goes against the actual reason for Sentry’s weak moment.

Then you have an in issue contradiction. 616 Sentry weakened himself from killing Ares to early, yet What If Sentry goes on to wreck, and kill everyone Earth with no pause.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 04:00 AM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Not really sure what you're saying, Id.

616 Sentry was *apparently* defeated because he exerted a good deal of power to kill Ares, and didn't have any time to recover before attacking Asgard. What If Sentry killed Ares days before he attacked Asgard, thus was fully recovered by the time he did so.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 04:55 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Not really sure what you're saying, Id.

616 Sentry was *apparently* defeated because he exerted a good deal of power to kill Ares, and didn't have any time to recover before attacking Asgard. What If Sentry killed Ares days before he attacked Asgard, thus was fully recovered by the time he did so.

Simple.

Prior to that What IF, there was no indication to suggest Sentry taxed himself in killing Ares.

Its clear that What IF Siege, is using the death of Ares as a plot device to push the development of its story.

To make matters worse, the reason for his defeat is clearly addressed in the comic, and the proceeding interview. Which goes against this What IF story.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 05:39 AM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ankur29
ankur

Originally posted by "Id"
Simple.

Prior to that What IF, there was no indication to suggest Sentry taxed himself in killing Ares.

Its clear that What IF Siege, is using the death of Ares as a plot device to push the development of its story.

To make matters worse, the reason for his defeat is clearly addressed in the comic, and the proceeding interview. Which goes against this What IF story.

thumb up

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 05:28 PM
ankur29 is currently offline Click here to Send ankur29 a Private Message Find more posts by ankur29 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by "Id"
Simple.

True. However it certainly isn't uncommon for more recent information to be released that changes what we *thought* were established facts. The Watcher told us about events that unfolded in the 616 reality, which ultimately hastened Sentry's defeat. The entire What If was based around what would have happened if said events had transpired differently.

Every What If begins like that. ie. a Watcher tells us what has already happened in 'our' reality, then goes on to show us "what would have happened IF". I have always regarded the former as canon, and the latter as non-canon. /shrug

Regardless, a respect thread isn't really the place to have a discussion like this. But I would be more than happy to continue via PM if you still disagree with my line of thinking.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 06:05 PM
Bentley
Seitei

I agree with Galan in his reasoning, it wouldn't even be a hard retcon since it was never stated Sentry had no limits, it was only implied. However I couldn't read the scan because it seemed broken, is it possible to post the link again or tell me the issue number (PM will work).

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 06:56 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That's weird, the scan IS broken..

Here it is again:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 1st, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 12:07 AM
R3d33m3r

once again, its more garbage writing. the only one who knew how to write sentry was Jenkins, after that Bendis dragged Bob through the mud.

as it has been stated, the whole point of ares being killed in siege is that NO ONE could be the void. NO O N E. the only person who could is and ALWAYS has been bob. he forced thor to blast him in his human form by envoking some of the void.

Last edited by R3d33m3r on Jan 1st, 2011 at 05:58 PM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 05:56 PM
R3d33m3r is currently offline Click here to Send R3d33m3r a Private Message Find more posts by R3d33m3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

I agree with Galan that the scan should be cannon, but like Id I'm iffy about it.

He can tentacle rape all of Earth, but he'd apparently have been in real deep shit if Ares had come back to life.

It just brings down everyone's stock dramatically (Including Sentry's) but does the opposite for Ares.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2011 01:02 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eaea

This reminded me of Bendis saying on his board around the time the second Siege issue hit streets, that Sentry didn't use "conventional means" when murdering Ares. I don't know how serious he was, since he was maybe saying it to placate people expecting Ares to piece himself together with his immortal lifeforce or something by next issue.

Otherwise Bendis did a decent job of planting the seeds of Sentry's demise in the Dark Avengers run, by having Reynolds become increasingly wary of his immortality and then have a deep-seated suicidal streak during the last days of the Dark Reign. But a set of mitigating circumstances doesn't necessarily exclude another, you could even add what Amadeus Cho told his team in Mighty Avengers: that he calculated Loki gave them extra time to turn the battle around, which then meant them raining more attacks on the Void, which ends with Reynolds snapping to.

Dunno, it seems the Sentry's death was never going to be a straighforward affair.

What I found interesting about that issue is Atau also calling the Void the Angel of Death. That's probably going to stick.

I made the original thread by the way. Thanks for the comments.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2011 01:25 AM
Eaea is currently offline Click here to Send Eaea a Private Message Find more posts by Eaea Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Either way, I'm thankful his dead. I re-read Fallen Sun and it reminded me of why I hated the Sentry.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2011 01:30 AM
Deadline

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Well, then that further muddies the water because I thought the entire point of that scene was to illustrate how easily Sentry can kill even a God.

Based on that scan, Sentry was killed not because he chose to, but because he was weakened. But if killing Ares can make a noticeable drop in power, Thor was all you would have needed to stop him.

Even in death, Sentry's a mess.

I'm not so sure. Even if killing Ares weakened him we still know that the reason why he was defeated was because he let himself be killed.

Asagardians aren't immortal like Olympians so I'm not sure if the same thing would happen if he killed Thor.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 01:57 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

True. However it certainly isn't uncommon for more recent information to be released that changes what we *thought* were established facts. The Watcher told us about events that unfolded in the 616 reality, which ultimately hastened Sentry's defeat. The entire What If was based around what would have happened if said events had transpired differently.

Every What If begins like that. ie. a Watcher tells us what has already happened in 'our' reality, then goes on to show us "what would have happened IF". I have always regarded the former as canon, and the latter as non-canon. /shrug

Regardless, a respect thread isn't really the place to have a discussion like this. But I would be more than happy to continue via PM if you still disagree with my line of thinking.

I understand where you are coming from, you are suggesting a retcon through a What If, which anyone should take with a grain of salt. That specific what if, was only written to push its single issue, not to hold an impact on mainstream marvel.

It’s silly to inject it into mainstream, since the explanation folds on its own. Hey look killing Ares taxed Sentry, but destroying Loki with a hand gesture had no impact? Oh yeah it’s a What If.

/End Rant

Someone post the What If Fight. Sentry smashes through every earth character, Earth itself, and Threatens to destroy the Watcher on his moon base. Good stuff.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 07:32 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Deadline
I'm not so sure. Even if killing Ares weakened him we still know that the reason why he was defeated was because he let himself be killed.

Asagardians aren't immortal like Olympians so I'm not sure if the same thing would happen if he killed Thor.

Bob wanted to die, the Void regained control inmediately after Thor hesitated and got served. Siege seems to be pretty PISy all in all though.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 07:35 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Utrigita

Very nice respect thread.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 09:17 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote