KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Robert Reynolds: The Sentry

Robert Reynolds: The Sentry
Started by: "Id"

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by "Id"
Simple.

Prior to that What IF, there was no indication to suggest Sentry taxed himself in killing Ares.

Its clear that What IF Siege, is using the death of Ares as a plot device to push the development of its story.

To make matters worse, the reason for his defeat is clearly addressed in the comic, and the proceeding interview. Which goes against this What IF story.
thumb up The writer explained this and what if's are what if's. It's already been made crystal clear you are 100 percent correct. I wouldn't worry about those who argue for what if's to be considered canon anyways.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 01:45 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
john allerdyce
Whore!

first off, excellent thread. bob is a beast.

secondly, i agree with galans point of view. like he said, eveyr what if always starts off by going over canon events that have already happened in the 616, before it goes on to the actual what if/non-canon portion. thats 100% correct.

no one is arguing that the what if part itself is canon, just the first part of the story that retells canon events. disputing that is illogical imo. new information was just introduced. get over it.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 04:50 AM
john allerdyce is currently offline Click here to Send john allerdyce a Private Message Find more posts by john allerdyce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bbrem123

anyone have scans of the fight in it?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 12:48 AM
bbrem123 is currently offline Click here to Send bbrem123 a Private Message Find more posts by bbrem123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 04:13 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 04:14 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bbrem123

wow...so basically void was all powerful and raped everybody...but ares was the most taxing thing he did the whole fight? weird...all it does is make it a huge feat for ares lol

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 12:38 PM
bbrem123 is currently offline Click here to Send bbrem123 a Private Message Find more posts by bbrem123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ankur29
ankur

Originally posted by bbrem123
wow...so basically void was all powerful and raped everybody...but ares was the most taxing thing he did the whole fight? weird...all it does is make it a huge feat for ares lol

thumb up
ares is obviously more taxing then the whole world combined roll eyes (sarcastic)
including avengers ,thor, loki, doom ...
i wonder where herc was... if sentry killed him he would have probably died of exhaustion

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 04:06 PM
ankur29 is currently offline Click here to Send ankur29 a Private Message Find more posts by ankur29 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Bentley
Bob wanted to die, the Void regained control inmediately after Thor hesitated and got served. Siege seems to be pretty PISy all in all though.

No he didn't he was in partial control and Bendis said that Sentry let Thor kill him. Thor had an opening.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 04:14 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Originally posted by bbrem123

Originally posted by ankur29
thumb up
ares is obviously more taxing then the whole world combined roll eyes (sarcastic)
including avengers ,thor, loki, doom ...
i wonder where herc was... if sentry killed him he would have probably died of exhaustion

Exactly.
Its not so much that What If offers new information, however loosely it maybe. But the retcon is total PIS. Why put so much stock in it... amirite?

But what do I know, I am just a simpleton.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 08:30 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by john allerdyce
first off, excellent thread. bob is a beast.

secondly, i agree with galans point of view. like he said, eveyr what if always starts off by going over canon events that have already happened in the 616, before it goes on to the actual what if/non-canon portion. thats 100% correct.

no one is arguing that the what if part itself is canon, just the first part of the story that retells canon events. disputing that is illogical imo. new information was just introduced. get over it.
Wrong, this is an alternate version of the retelling of these events and the writer has already explained these events. This is just a what if and to be ignored outside this comic.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 09:26 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

I was gonna interject but I see Quan is handling things. thumb up

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 02:46 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
john allerdyce
Whore!

Originally posted by Badabing
I was gonna interject but I see Quan is handling things. thumb up
what exactly did he "handle"? confused

watcher: "in your reality, ares' death at reynolds' hand came later, on the field of battle"..
http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/...ry_ownares1.jpg

"YOUR reality" is a clear reference to 616. thats how ALL what ifs start... they retell canon events. it really doesnt get any more blatant then that.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 05:38 AM
john allerdyce is currently offline Click here to Send john allerdyce a Private Message Find more posts by john allerdyce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Yea, I gotta agree with John. The beginning and end of that issue as far as I can tell are clearly cannon. I see no logical reason why they shouldn't be.

It doesn't matter if it makes no sense -even in within the comic itself- because -bad- comics are like that sometimes.

If someone wanted to provide evidence that Thor -or whatever- killed the Void, just point to Fallen Sun. This is just another comic that suggests that it wasn't Bob wanting to die that allowed Void to die.

Frankly, more issues like this are a possibility if Siege is touched on again. We had to look to an online interview (Useful on forums) to get some type of clarification. I.e. the comic will be intepreted differently from what Bendis wanted or at least intended to do.

My stance: Void was just more bark than bite, and was worn down then killed by Thor and co. I do however think that Bob wanting to die was one of the reasons he didn't ressurect. Still don't understand why his will to die would have any more of an impact now but whatever.

Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on Jan 6th, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 12:46 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Yea, I gotta agree with John. The beginning and end of that issue as far as I can tell are clearly cannon. I see no logical reason why they shouldn't be.

It doesn't matter if it makes no sense -even in within the comic itself- because -bad- comics are like that sometimes.

If someone wanted to provide evidence that Thor -or whatever- killed the Void, just point to Fallen Sun. This is just another comic that suggests that it wasn't Bob wanting to die that allowed Void to die.

Frankly, more issues like this are a possibility if Siege is touched on again. We had to look to an online interview (Useful on forums) to get some type of clarification. I.e. the comic will be intepreted differently from what Bendis wanted or at least intended to do.

My stance: Void was just more bark than bite, and was worn down then killed by Thor and co. I do however think that Bob wanting to die was one of the reasons he didn't ressurect. Still don't understand why his will to die would have any more of an impact now but whatever.
This is a what if and the writer himself explained through an interview why the sentry lost. This wasn't it and is still from a what if. The on panel fighting and the comic supports bendis' own interview. This is only a what if and the rules are very clear about what if's.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2011 05:35 AM
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by john allerdyce
what exactly did he "handle"? confused

watcher: "in your reality, ares' death at reynolds' hand came later, on the field of battle"..
http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/...ry_ownares1.jpg

"YOUR reality" is a clear reference to 616. thats how ALL what ifs start... they retell canon events. it really doesnt get any more blatant then that.
He handled you and your ilk.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jan 8th, 2011 05:43 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Originally posted by quanchi112
This is a what if and the writer himself explained through an interview why the sentry lost. This wasn't it and is still from a what if. The on panel fighting and the comic supports bendis' own interview. This is only a what if and the rules are very clear about what if's.

The What If is still a comic book and if it says otherwise, it trumps what Bendis said online because comics > interviews. You keep saying it's a What If like that's some sort of an argument. The first few pages acknowledged what happened in the 616 and near the end we even see the Watcher from that Universe talking to the Watcher from the 616 regarding the events. The scans Galan posted are cannon. There's no logical reason why they shouldn't be. At the very least, they hold more weight than Bendis' interview on a forum.

That being said, I don't think Ares weakening Sentry makes sense but whatever.

You don't get to pick and chose what's cannon. You tried the same bullshit with the Squirrel Girl scene and are probably going to pull the same shit here.

Edit: Siege #4 doesn't go hand in hand with Bendis' interview. At least not the way people spin it.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2011 10:48 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Deadline
No he didn't he was in partial control and Bendis said that Sentry let Thor kill him. Thor had an opening.

Bendis has no claim on what's canon or not, you can call it retcon if you want to, but what happened its Sentry was never invincible as far as 616 goes.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 8th, 2011 12:50 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Old Post Jan 8th, 2011 01:28 PM
Deadline

^ Wait a minute didn't you agree that Sentry let Thor kill him?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2011 02:03 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

As far as I remember my stance has always been that Void was worn down until Reynolds gained some control, but then Void soon returned, and Thor killed him. But Reynolds wanting to die contributed to him not returning (At least to a point)

Old Post Jan 8th, 2011 03:11 PM