KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Are atheists afraid of judgement?
Started by: The MISTER

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (44): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

What I want to know is if Atheists ever have Crisis of Non-Faith. stick out tongue

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2010 10:55 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
People have told you dozens of times. At the very least you must be familiar with the arguments.

And further how would that really different from the Divine Command Theory which says there is no right and wrong except what we are told is right and wrong?

I'm ready to entertain all arguments.

The Divine command theory is flawed. People have rebelled against what they have been taught was right even at the cost of their own lives. Right and wrong do not have to be taught to people for them to know which is which. People teach their children what they believe but it is almost never 100% of what their parents taught them. Another flaw in the Divine Command Theory is that not teaching children isn't an option unless you abandon them. Learning is part of living. Humans
obviously have their own individual ideas about what is right and wrong and it's rare to have two humans that say that they agree 100%
about what is right and wrong. If the Divine Command Theory had any merit then you would have many people that are exactly like each other in every way except appearance. That is not the case.
Even with a simple idea like "Love thy neighbor as thyself" There will be various different ideas about what that means to do.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2010 11:00 PM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Originally posted by The MISTER
I'm ready to entertain all arguments.

The Divine command theory is flawed. People have rebelled against what they have been taught was right even at the cost of their own lives. Right and wrong do not have to be taught to people for them to know which is which.

Ah, intuitionism. So were back to deontology.

But that's even more flawed. Not only do we have people that want to cause harm after being raised in a culture that forbids it, but there are cases of children being raised with little or no human contact who do not act in line with Christian moral theory. Or worse that, have you ever met a two year old? The only morality they can reasonably be aligned with is egosim.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2010 11:18 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by King Kandy
Whereas in christianity, right and wrong is what God defines as right and wrong. I really don't see the difference.

Actually, in christianity God defines us as inherently corrupt. Born with a sin nature we will eventually do something that we should desire to be forgiven for. I know I have and I do believe that everyone else has also. Christians believe that God not only defines what is right and wrong, he created them both for the purpose of free will. Righteousness can't exist if you can't choose unrighteousness and free will can't exist if you cannot make the choice individually.

The difference between us and God is that we are the created not the creator. The reader of a book cannot explain the author's sincere intent better than the author.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2010 11:30 PM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Bingo.
I understand. I do wonder though if you personally fear the judgement of the laws of men? For example do you fear being jailed or fined?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2010 11:33 PM
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I personally like Kant's idea on morality's origin.

He believed in a God but believed that God wasn't the Ultimate Source of morality, rather that God was good because He acted morally.
I like this idea as well. I just believe that God is the Ultimate Source. This idea of Kant's makes sense to me. smile

Old Post Nov 21st, 2010 11:38 PM
tsilamini

I understand. I do wonder though if you personally fear the judgement of the laws of men? For example do you fear being jailed or fined?

do yu really think that atheists don't fear jail because they don't believe in God?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2010 11:53 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Perhaps God, being kind, will allow you a do-over. Or to repent after death.
I'm not sure whether you are joking or serious but I like the optimism if you're serious. In St. Mark 10:25 Jesus stated that it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter heaven.

They were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus replied, "With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

To me this suggests that God does what he wants to do. The do-over and repenting after death are truly in his hands according to this verse though I know many christians would tell me I'm taking it out of context. I believe that God knows best and will try to persuade his children to come to him in their hearts of their own free will. I believe that God is biased for us more than we are biased for our own children.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:00 AM
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Originally posted by inimalist
do yu really think that atheists don't fear jail because they don't believe in God?
Nope. That's why I said personally. I'm curious about individual ideas. I never group people, Atheists can't be identical through and through any more than any other groups that have one thing in common.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:04 AM
tsilamini

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Nope. That's why I said personally. I'm curious about individual ideas. I never group people, Atheists can't be identical through and through any more than any other groups that have one thing in common.

well, the reason atheists would still fear the judgement of courts is because they believe courts exist and that their judgement will affect their lives. Seeing as they don't believe there is any heavenly "judge", there is no reason for them to fear heavenly judgement

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:16 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by Digi
...just another person who can't comprehend how a person can have purpose and morality without God. A limited, insulated view. Not only is it possible, but it's easy. I don't feel a need to explain to you the myriad ways in which it is possible, because without an intrinsic understanding of how natural and simple it is, it would be like trying to explain a foreign language to a child who doesn't even know that other countries or languages exist.

But to answer the titular question, I doubt any atheist fears judgment. Why would they?
You seem like a smart person but you also seem like you detest the idea of a God. I can't comprehend something coming from nothing without something existing that can defy what is impossible. If you don't feel the need to explain any of your myriad ways then don't. Your analogy about explaining complex ideas to a child is very similar to how religious people avoid answering questions. I guess you don't feel like throwing your pearls before swine,huh? Well I appreciate you sparing me your high minded sermon, especially if it's filled with analogies that are obviously weak attempts at insults.

Regardless to what you may THINK I'm not trying to convert anyone. I care about people and I'd like to know why they think what they do when their thoughts seem extreme to me. I'm willing to answer peoples' questions when they feel my beliefs are extreme. Even if my answer is "I don't know" I'd rather admit that than pretend that I know everything.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:19 AM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Apparently being an Atheist makes you the Joker.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:26 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Actually, in christianity God defines us as inherently corrupt. Born with a sin nature we will eventually do something that we should desire to be forgiven for. I know I have and I do believe that everyone else has also. Christians believe that God not only defines what is right and wrong, he created them both for the purpose of free will. Righteousness can't exist if you can't choose unrighteousness and free will can't exist if you cannot make the choice individually.

The difference between us and God is that we are the created not the creator. The reader of a book cannot explain the author's sincere intent better than the author.

That is exactly what I just said. God defines things as right or wrong. I don't see how this in any way escapes the issue that right and wrong are based on definitions.

I was created by my parents, but I don't reflect all of their views as you pointed out. I define morality based on what I feel is logical and conducive to a functioning, free society.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:31 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

I'll answer the question of why an atheist might be afraid of judgement. Most humans are and atheists are humans. Convincing yourself that there is nothing to fear is sometimes an important part of proceeding with something that you WANT to do, for example driving or riding a roller coaster. That's why.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:32 AM
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by King Kandy
That is exactly what I just said. God defines things as right or wrong. I don't see how this in any way escapes the issue that right and wrong are based on definitions.

I was created by my parents, but I don't reflect all of their views as you pointed out. I define morality based on what I feel is logical and conducive to a functioning, free society.
That is good. What I'm saying is that humans are not worthy to judge YOU or anyone else for that matter. Only God is worthy as he knows whether you are living the life that you believe is righteous or not.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:37 AM
King Kandy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

That is good. What I'm saying is that humans are not worthy to judge YOU or anyone else for that matter. Only God is worthy as he knows whether you are living the life that you believe is righteous or not.

I myself know when I do something I feel is correct. God doesn't factor into it at all.

And humans are quite definitely worthy to judge, as long as they can apply a logical argument. I used to believe in the death sentence, but people convinced me otherwise.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:39 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

well, the reason atheists would still fear the judgement of courts is because they believe courts exist and that their judgement will affect their lives. Seeing as they don't believe there is any heavenly "judge", there is no reason for them to fear heavenly judgement
I understand that many atheists would agree with you. I know that there are some people, atheists or not, that have NO fear of the judgement of the courts. I was curious as to how Lordlucien feels. I do appreciate your sharing your thoughts on the matter. I'm going to respond later but I'm putting my son to bed after watching our show. I just want you all to know that I'm responding to each post as best I can. wink

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:47 AM
siriuswriter

As athiests [by definition] don't believe in any kind of god - so I doubt that there are any athiests running about scared of any kind of god.

it's kind of an oxymoron?

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:52 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

I know that there are some people, atheists or not, that have NO fear of the judgement of the courts

Yes, we call these people "billionaires".

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:57 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yes, we call these people "billionaires".
Damn good example.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 01:31 AM