KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Are atheists afraid of judgement?
Started by: The MISTER

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (44): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The MISTER
Actually, in christianity God defines us as inherently corrupt.

ihave a question. If the above is true, why wouldn't God just wipe the inherent corruptness from my new born babies soul? Wouldn't that be the moral, ever loving, all compasionate thing to do?

Does the FACT that man is on average moe moral than your christian God could EVER be, not flip the switches that tell you that EVEN if God existed, there's nothing that makes him worthy of your worship.

You're a dad, would you ever construct a torture chamber in your house and threaten to leave your son in there FOR ETERNITY if he didnt love you? Right and wrong is what we make it, and by we i mean us as humanity, God doesn't know a lick about being human, if he did...

My level of morality follows the path of sanctity of life, don't hurt others, don't kill others, help those who need it, raise my son to be good, love my wife, be faithful , NOT because i read it in some book, but because we live ina society where id like to be treated the way i treat others, more or less. Thats why we make our own morals and pick our own right and wrong, because WE have to live together, God doesn't even factor into the decision. How could he, he sacrificed his own son, for sins he KNEW would happen, then proceeds to curse every innocent child with a damned soul headed for obliteration unless we say we love him for eternity.

A douche by any other name.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 06:10 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

@ King Kandy
First off I'm interested in the evidence that something can come from nothing. Please elaborate. My statement about a power that can do the impossible was made due to my being unaware that we have any evidence that something can come from nothing. You stated that energy existing eternally seems like a possibility but you don't know. I can relate to the feeling of not knowing what may be the case or not. It's annoying to me. Since my faith in God is one of those rare areas where I do feel certainty, I am exceedingly interested in why it seems like flawed logic to people that I consider intelligent. It almost seems to me that the more intelligent people get the more they abandon the faith that they once had in the fact that there is a divine order to things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particles

Like I said, I don't know all the physics behind this, or really whether its relevant to the origin of the universe, but there are certain effects related to this phenomena where particles more or less arise out of nothing.

I don't know with certainty, because I have not seen a strong logical argument about whether the energy of the universe has always existed, or was arose spontaneously from nothing. However, I have seen even less of a strong argument in favor of god creating the universe, so I cannot believe that either. Right now, this is an area of research being discussed; from what I have heard, current advances have made spontaneous creation plausible. I haven't read them enough to decide on that one.

The more intelligent people are, the more people realize that that "fact" is flawed. There is no "divine order" to the universe. We see things as orderly because of something referred to as the anthropic principle.

Humans can choose to teach good or evil through actions due to the fact that they are aware of how their actions are perceived by their kin. No other sentient animal species can choose to pursue it's own imaginations, outside of what it has been shown. Are humans more capable of making choices? Humans have dominated every animal that we have come across. The flu may be kicking your ass but I'd put money on you killing it. The virus can't capture some humans and dissect them constantly searching for a permanent advantage over humans. Humans are kicking the flu's ass and not in numbers of course but in influence. Humans could choose to purposely obliterate the planet with bombs and attempt sustained survival on an experimental space colony that theoretically can last ten million years. The creatures of earth are more at the mercy of humans than ever before. The environment has been in danger of us since we first wielded fire as ours, so we have long been capable of making more choices than the other sentient species. As far as ruling over them consistently, making choices about their future is the norm.

That's just completely false. Many animals pursue their own imagination (any animal playing can show you that), your idea you've been continually claiming, you have not given it one shred of substantiation other than it is what you wish to believe. We have not cured AIDs, or figured out a way to remove many parasites, nor could we have much impact on a variety of bacteria, that exist all over the earth and permeate everything. Even if we nuked the world with everything we had, plenty of bacteria would linger and survive us, insulated in strange environments and able to survive the harshest of conditions.

Why would you presume that you represent all those that call themselves atheists.? I surely don't represent all those that call themselves christians. I am definitely not suggesting that all atheists are anything. I already stated that I'm concerned with individuals. I'm glad that you feel a sense of responsibility, but do you truly believe that all christians or atheists do? All I was suggesting is that an atheist can state that any action they might take is OK as long as they survive for survival is all that matters to any animal. Humans and bacteria are equals when concerning responsibility as survival is for the fittest. A person calling himself a christian can choose to state this. I just see it making more sense when it's coming from someone who says ( whether they believe it or not ) that there is nobody to answer to for their behavior after death.

You may feel atheists are more likely to show no compunction for their actions, but this is not true. Digi even showed a study earlier, demonstrating that atheists in a classroom were not only no more likely to cheat or copy than christian students, but in fact did it less; the atheists demonstrated more morality than the christians. inimalist in the GD forum (he will hopefully elaborate on this), demonstrated that people who believe they are following perfect morals are far more likely to lie and then rationalize it away.

Evidence that the soul exists. Hypocrisy directed upon others is evil and corrupts the soul of the people who do it. Treating others in ways that you wouldn't want yourself treated is obviously wrong and we know it, but it does come naturally. We have the ability to stave off this natural selfishness and deal with others sincerely as we have an emotional connection with all other life forms that no other creature can boast. We can imagine how others feel. We can purposely seek to help or harm and we will do one or the other. Doing nothing equates to harming others with inaction. Because we MUST choose then it is logical to believe that there is a penalty for choosing to harm others.

This is in no way evidence that the soul exists. I do not see what makes that "logical" in the slightest.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 09:53 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by King Kandy
inimalist in the GD forum (he will hopefully elaborate on this), demonstrated that people who believe they are following perfect morals are far more likely to lie and then rationalize it away.

there was no religious connotation to the study, and I don't personally believe that more religious people are sure of their morality than are atheists [eh, you might be able to convince me otherwise on this, certainly I'd say they think they are more moral than are atheists (and that they spend much less time considering the moral consequences of their actions)]. Many religions have "man is flawed" as a very important belief.

There is some extension of this in other studies too. People, when told a ghost was seen in a room (or any other story where the effect is "someone invisible is watching you") were less likely to cheat on a test. So, in that way, belief might actually make you more moral, so long as you actually believe God is watching and judging you, literally every moment.

Religion, god, scripture, etc, can prime both empathic behaviour and violence, as measured in experimental settings, depending on what aspect of religion is used to influence people (the violence prime from religious sources is much more powerful than from secular sources), and this holds for both religious and non-religious people.

Ultimately, I don't think data really supports, one way or another, that religion makes people more or less moral, though I'm not familiar with the study digi cited.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 10:08 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

I'm a christian who believes in the Bible and it's command not to judge others. I won't judge people's souls but I do wonder about their minds. I can't comprehend why people find the idea of a creator hard to believe when we have such order (apart from suffering caused by humans) in the universe from atoms to galaxies.

If you cannot comprehend something, then what business do you have judging?

Science can't be applied to God but faith is what I'm discussing. Believing in God means that you believe we have a greater purpose than just survival. If you believe that there is no God there is no higher purpose for anything.

Purpose for life comes from within, not from without. I think the reason this is an issue for you is that you cannot find purpose, and you have filled that gap with a belief. Some people have great purpose in life without the need for a belief in a god.

Saying that there is no God suggests that there is no right and wrong except what we define as right and wrong, so it is a strong statement indeed. It suggests that we should not fear judgement.

Right and wrong are not absolutes, but instead are relative. What is right for one person maybe wrong for another. However, being that we are all humans, and humans are more alike then unalike, you can say some general things about right and wrong, but that does not mean they are absolute.

What prevents people from believing that were created with power and responsibility on purpose? Is it fear of being judged by the Creator? If that's not it I'd like to know what other possible reasons there are.

People have different reasons, and for some you might be right. However, I don’t fear a judgment, because judgment is just mythology. But then again, I’m not an atheist.

Last edited by Shakyamunison on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 10:49 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

I know that I must seem like a judgemental person but I really am not. I don't even believe that there's a difference between atheists and christians except what they say they believe. People calling themselves either are apt to suddenly call themselves the other. One thing I noted while reading is that perhaps atheists behave better than people who claim to know God. I can see how this might be true as atheists won't claim that their actions are supported by a diety and feel solely responsible for whatever they do. Maybe more people who call themselves atheists will end up in heaven than the people who call themselves christians. I don't even care If you guys respond with " There is no heaven!! " I believe that there is and I see the potential for all people who take responsibility for their behavior to go. I know that the in the Bible God asks, " How can you claim to love me whom you have never seen and hate your brother whom you see every day?" I would daresay that religious people are far far more judgmental than atheists. I know because they've condemned me before and even accused me of being demon possessed because I wouldn't just agree with them. Maybe atheists aren't concerned with judgement at all because they're sick of all the lies and hypocrisy that come from the religious camp. I had one lady tell me that I wasn't saved because you have to be taught by someone else how to interpret the scriptures. I don't think I've ever been as disgusted by a comment. I wouldn't say such a thing about the most outspoken atheist. It will take me some time to respond to questions but I'll do my best.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 12:04 AM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Originally posted by King Kandy
Or maybe I don't think its a sign of weakness to change when shown new evidence. That's the scientific way to approach things. If you don't consider what others say, then you're the one with weak will; you have no confidence in your position to actually let it be tested.

Ok, but there's nothing very scientific about one's personal stance on the death penalty. It's a philosophical/moral stance.

So then help me out here; how exactly did you decide to change your mind when it comes to execution? Did you have some ultra-liberal professor who convinced you to 'see the light', or what?

Originally posted by Digi
He's done the same to me as well. In reply to my relating my search through religious beliefs to come to the point I'm at now, he called me clearly confused, because I had wandered near or through numerous different belief systems. Inquisitive is probably the more correct term, and amenable to changes in belief based on superior reasoning/evidence/logic.

Not confused, but "inquisitive"? It seems that not knowing where to start at a buffet would be a good analogy. "Hmm.....so many choices, but which one's for me?"

I also have changed my mind about things in the past when confronted with evidence, or an otherwise sufficient reason to do so. But I dont join the next bandwagon craze willy-nilly.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 02:00 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Ok, but there's nothing very scientific about one's personal stance on the death penalty. It's a philosophical/moral stance.

Nah, that's stupid. Oviously morality can be influenced by a logical argument. "Reason is the slave of passion" after all, you use your reason to reach the goals your passions give you. If you believe, morally, that the fewest possible number of people should die and someone convinces you that the death penalty doesn't reduce the rate of murder then it makes sense to change your position.

More generally if you decide to divorce morality from reason you'll end up behaving in ways that contradict your morals. Like for example:

"Killing is wrong but stabbing people is okay."
"But stabbing people has a good chance of killing them."
"Sorry, your argument is too scientific for me. This is an issue of morality not reason."

I also have changed my mind about things in the past when confronted with evidence, or an otherwise sufficient reason to do so. But I dont join the next bandwagon craze willy-nilly.

Yeah, that new craze that they call atheism. Why I recall just last month when that fellow Socrates was talking about it for the first time.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 02:11 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

So then help me out here; how exactly did you decide to change your mind when it comes to execution? Did you have some ultra-liberal professor who convinced you to 'see the light', or what?

why do you have such a poor opinion of someone changing their mind on an issue?

do you really think it is more respectable to put your fingers in your ears and deny things that make sense?

like, there are arguments I've made on these forums, I'm sure even recently, that I wouldn't agree with now. Am I simply doing what some aging hippy douche wanted in your mind?

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 02:14 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Not confused, but "inquisitive"? It seems that not knowing where to start at a buffet would be a good analogy. "Hmm.....so many choices, but which one's for me?"

This is why you're so hard to talk to. You often manage to falsely frame what I've said in a way that attempts to demean me or my position, or it looks at only part of the argument instead of its context.

What I can't comprehend in this particular instance is why it seems like it's so deplorable to you for someone to look at everything available to them when making a decision. Frankly, it's simply ignorance not to make yourself aware of the best arguments for and against every religion if you want to take them seriously (and by proxy, to take your decision seriously). After leaving Christianity, my search was a basic exercise in personal rigor. How was I to dismiss something or endorse it, without truly understanding it? You're mistaking bandwagon-jumping for thorough analysis (and there were precious few bandwagons I actually jumped on. It was mostly, as is due in most logical analysis, tentative acceptance of various reasonable possibilities until convincing evidence is brought against them. I doubt I could have truly called myself any particular religion between my original Catholicism and my current Atheism).

You don't particularly care for me, and the feeling is somewhat mutual. I understand that. We've always been able to treat each other civilly, and I respect you for that at least, and this instance is no exception. But your posts on this make you seem close-minded, at best. Giving lip service to your own "changes" (whatever they might be) are a sorry excuse when you are so unjustly critical of anyone's else's search for knowledge.

Last edited by Digi on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 02:55 AM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 02:51 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Nah, that's stupid. Oviously morality can be influenced by a logical argument. "Reason is the slave of passion" after all, you use your reason to reach the goals your passions give you. If you believe, morally, that the fewest possible number of people should die and someone convinces you that the death penalty doesn't reduce the rate of murder then it makes sense to change your position.

More generally if you decide to divorce morality from reason you'll end up behaving in ways that contradict your morals. Like for example:

"Killing is wrong but stabbing people is okay."
"But stabbing people has a good chance of killing them."
"Sorry, your argument is too scientific for me. This is an issue of morality not reason."

Yeah, that new craze that they call atheism. Why I recall just last month when that fellow Socrates was talking about it for the first time.

Well, obviously logic can influence a person's morality, but they don't necessarily have to go hand-in-hand.

You can also stab someone in the hand or foot without mortally endangering them.

And by the way, Socrates wasn't actually an Atheist.

Originally posted by inimalist
why do you have such a poor opinion of someone changing their mind on an issue?

do you really think it is more respectable to put your fingers in your ears and deny things that make sense?

like, there are arguments I've made on these forums, I'm sure even recently, that I wouldn't agree with now. Am I simply doing what some aging hippy douche wanted in your mind?

What makes you think I have a poor opinion of changing minds? I've changed my mind in the past about various things; big deal.

I don't stick my fingers in my ears; I'm always willing to hear the other side. But if I'm not convinced then I don't budge. There's a big difference between being pig-headed and awaiting a good reason (I'm the latter).

It depends on the arguments, and how deep they are. Wanting sushi one day, and then Mexican the next is one thing. But drastically changing your moral and/or religious views often and with little prodding is just...well, a person drifting in the ocean with lots of wind but no sail, oar, or rudder.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 02:52 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Ultimately, I don't think data really supports, one way or another, that religion makes people more or less moral, though I'm not familiar with the study digi cited.

Missed this, will try to dig up the source. It's from a magazine, which makes google-ing it difficult.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 03:06 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by Digi
Missed this, will try to dig up the source. It's from a magazine, which makes google-ing it difficult.

Bing.com or texting kgb > Google

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 03:10 AM
tsilamini

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

What makes you think I have a poor opinion of changing minds? I've changed my mind in the past about various things; big deal.

I don't stick my fingers in my ears; I'm always willing to hear the other side. But if I'm not convinced then I don't budge. There's a big difference between being pig-headed and awaiting a good reason (I'm the latter).

It depends on the arguments, and how deep they are. Wanting sushi one day, and then Mexican the next is one thing. But drastically changing your moral and/or religious views often and with little prodding is just...well, a person drifting in the ocean with lots of wind but no sail, oar, or rudder.

you appear to be mocking King Kandy for, at some point in his life, deciding that he no longer agreed with the death penalty

I'm certainly not accusing you of any of those things, but why would you be critical of someone for finding a better understanding of what they believe?

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 03:14 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Well, obviously logic can influence a person's morality, but they don't necessarily have to go hand-in-hand.

In fact it doesn't seem like the idea occurred to you at all.

Also, they really should go hand-in-hand. Like even if you're morally opposed to reason you'd have to use reason to arrive at the conclusion that acting irrationally is moral.

You can also stab someone in the hand or foot without mortally endangering them.

They're certainly more likely to die than if you hadn't stabbed them. But even if they weren't fixing the example is quite trivial.

And by the way, Socrates wasn't actually an Atheist.

Made some good arguments for it, though.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 03:15 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

you appear to be mocking King Kandy for, at some point in his life, deciding that he no longer agreed with the death penalty

I'm certainly not accusing you of any of those things, but why would you be critical of someone for finding a better understanding of what they believe?

How about we let him answer the question, since it was meant for him in first place...

(And a different understanding doesn't mean its a better one)

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 03:27 AM
tsilamini

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are atheists afraid of judgement?

How about we let him answer the question, since it was meant for him in first place...

(And a different understanding doesn't mean its a better one)

that depends on how you define better...

do you claim to know better than KK what his own opinions are?

I'm not trying to goad you or anything, so no worries or anything, I just think you might be being a little harsh on this point. Hell, I remember being 19 and CONVINCED I was going to discover psychic powers

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 03:46 AM
King Kandy

No, I try to take a scientific approach, based on the axiom that the purpose of punishment is to reduce crime. From that perspective, I realized that statistically, the death sentence did nothing to benefit of this.

I changed my mind when I received statistics indicating the death sentence did nothing to minimize crime and suffering. Your idea that I was brainwashed by some "ultra-liberal" as your first response is borderline trolling.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 06:09 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Morality can be very much like mathematics in a way, that you choose some axioms and derive your complete morality logically from it. Even reevaluating the axioms seems like a smart thing from time to time as ones personal feelings change, but the way King Kandy said he changed his mind on the death penalty is definitely the right thing to do. If you are convinced by reason that one of your derived beliefs hasn't been sound on the basis of your core belief the only reasonable thing is to change your opinion on that to make it intrinsically logical, if you can't do that for whatever reason perhaps one of the axioms you choose really isn't something you actually fully belief or you have to weigh opposing ideals differently. Ultimately it would be nice if one could explain their beliefs based on some core morals, which are of course, like everything, subjective.

That's how a fair discussion based on logical argument (as opposed to a debate) should work, too.

Last edited by Bardock42 on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 12:00 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I love this video, and it's relevant to this topic. Props to bardock for posting it in the atheism thread.

At one point there is a direct citation of the reasoning this thread was created upon (that atheists fear judgement) , or rather a refutation of it.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Youtube's QualiaSoup and TheraminTrees put things often very clear

Also, anyone who has ever been told they have some misconceptions about atheism should watch this video.

Last edited by Digi on Nov 24th, 2010 at 03:29 AM

Old Post Nov 24th, 2010 03:22 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

That's a very good video.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2010 11:07 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote