KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Are atheists afraid of judgement?

Are atheists afraid of judgement?
Started by: The MISTER

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (44): « First ... « 42 43 [44]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Genuinely enjoying an intellectual discussion isn't trolling, but cool I guess.

Mister, I think the main point of contention is that there is scientific evidence of a creature existing. It's not that people ignore that, it's that they disagree that such evidence exists.

So what are we talking about? NDEs? Fine-tuned universe? I've heard most of it, and found such claims utterly lacking. I respect your right to hold your beliefs, but please just don't assume atheists believe one thing when they tell you another. Most of the antagonism leveled at you thus far stems from that habit.
I hope that I've broken that habit. cool

Edit: I left a post at the bottom of the other page putting what evidence I do have together so check it out and let me know if I'm missing something.

Last edited by The MISTER on Nov 30th, 2015 at 01:08 AM

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 01:05 AM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by The MISTER
I'll try to answer your question the best I can. We're aware of the fact that many things begin and end. We have much tangible evidence of that fact. The fact that the universe that we inhabit began at some point seems to have been scientifically proven and based on what we've observed everything that is alive in our universe will someday be dead. The evidence that there is an infinite power comes from the....

(at this point I'm returning from a massive non-emergency family distraction, forgive me as my train of thought may meander)

...simplicity rather than the complexity of the most abundant evidence we have.

While perusing the internet I came across a top ten video where they listed many speculations about reality. The concept was based around the idea that the universe may be God's video game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFtt_zGKMok

I agree that using the universe's complexity as evidence of anything seems irrational. How can I use something that I don't fully understand to explain something even more complex than it is?

With that being said if we use simple evidence that we can all understand then perhaps humans can come to agree upon more, and hopefully we can lay some old conflicts to rest.

Please tell me if you think there are flaws in this logic...

We have these shared experiences as evidence of an infinite power. Moments exist, relationships exist, balance exists ,and apparently opposites that reflect the extremes of balance exist.

When we analyze moments we discover that time (past, present, future) is simply the passing of one moment to another. All experiences that exist rely on one moment passing on to another and that would be the case for any entity, deity or otherwise. The answer to the question of how long these moments have the potential to pass is indefinitely based on all that we know about moments and time. Time is simply humans counting moments as accurately as we can while we can. Should humans cease to exist there is zero evidence to suggest that moments would come to an end. Also there is zero evidence that we can accurately count the moments that preceded our universe. Moments support the existence of infinity in that all evidence shows them to be infinite in their potential.

When we analyze relationships we realize that all entities in existence whether sentient or not are defined by their relationships with other entities. For example our relationship with the furthest star we can observe is that we have given it the title of "furthest". A simple relationship, but a relationship by definition. Anything that is aware is created from relationships and a deity would not be exempt from this. All evidence shows awareness of relationships is what all sentience that exists is built from. The conclusion that is derived from this evidence is that an infinite power that is aware of it's own existence would inherently place a value on it's relationships as any sentient being would.

Lastly when we analyze balance and the extremes of balance that we call opposites we get the most powerful evidence that an infinite power must exist. If we look at the most simplistic examples of balance and it's extremes, we will find ourselves looking at "zero" and "one".
"Zero" is equal to the absence of all and it's opposite "one" can be defined accurately as the inclusion of all.

"Zero" can theoretically exist indefinitely without "one" to be it's opposite but such is not the case for "one". Where "one" exists "zero" must be there as it's total opposite. To elaborate on this a little we can see that where the extreme "hot" exists it's opposite "cold" must contrast it. These two exist inside of the all inclusive "one" but no opposites exist in the all exclusive "zero" and never would exist within it for an infinite amount of moments. The conclusion that we come to is that "zero" is infinitely limited to never change and is even devoid of moments, while "one" is infinitely changing and has infinite moments with it's only limitation being that it will never be "zero".

Based on these observations I feel we have enough evidence to affirm that infinity exists undeniably. Infinity will experience moments and what we name infinity has no relevance in consideration to whether it exists or not, it is simply a fact that it does, has, and will exist indefinitely.

Please let me know what you think.

I think this is a nigh-incoherent pseudo-philosophical miasma of half-connected ideas and blind assumptions. Further, I think that you holding this up as proof of God - and, beyond that, proof of God that you can't fathom others doubting - is borderline delusional. Seriously, you've been openly critical of atheists, going so far as to insinuate that many aren't actually atheists and are simply afraid of judgement. And you've also openly questioned how they can deny the evidence, which, presumably, is contained in this post, as though ~500 words musing on infinity could topple centuries of critical thought on the subject. It almost defies credulity. Anything I say further is to humor the argument, not because I find any merit in even addressing it seriously.

So, if I understand the gist of your argument, infinity exists because we perceive time? Or something must exist because existence is the "one" to nonexistence's "zero"? It doesn't take long for this to become absurd. "Not Santa" exists in my computer room right now. He's not here. But for the concept "not Santa" to exist, does that mean that Santa exists? That's a deliberately stupid example, but it's not hard to come up with concepts for which the opposite doesn't exist.

I'm also uncomfortable classifying the idea of infinity as God or the divine. You don't seem to attempt to get at proof of God so much as proof of infinity. In so far as infinity just refers to infinite time, we can describe it in entirely scientific terms. Mathematical and theoretical models exist that sufficiently explain the existence of the universe, and we understand how planets and stars formed, how life came to be on Earth, and how the physical laws of the universe dictate everything from the movements of celestial bodies to the atomic and subatomic levels. No God needed. Nothing that could even be considered metaphysical or supernatural.

You say a couple weird things like "Infinity will experience moments..." as though you're personifying the concept of infinity. But that would require its own extensive justification to superimpose consciousness on a concept that has no reason or method to be conscious.

And please understand, the forcefulness with which I disagree with you is not a personal attack. You're completely entitled to your belief regardless of what I think of them, and mine is only one opinion on them. I just don't pull punches when I see an argument as absurd. It doesn't mean I'm not trying to understand your position. It also doesn't mean that I don't first attempt to consider it on its merits before responding.

Last edited by Digi on Nov 30th, 2015 at 01:45 AM

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 01:38 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

I appreciate you not pulling any punches in your response. To be honest it's quite an open minded one. And you're correct about my main concern being about proof existing that supports the existence of infinity. I've changed as time has passed but I'd rather just leave off on the note that I do thank you for being sincere and not making a mockery of what I did come up with. Take care for today Digi.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 02:06 AM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Cool. You're welcome to clarify your points. Or tell me where you think I've misinterpreted you. But really, I just think you're working with ideas that don't remotely constitute evidence of God, much less a specific one with any definable characteristics.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 03:10 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Something I'll point out on simplicity and complexity and infinity-

As per entropy, when energy is added to a system, order- that is, complexity- tends to increase. We see this every day.

You don't need a complex being for an increasing amount of complexity. You just need a lot of dumb energy. And not even an infinite amount of energy, though even with an infinite, it need not be a complex one.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 06:12 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Cool. You're welcome to clarify your points. Or tell me where you think I've misinterpreted you. But really, I just think you're working with ideas that don't remotely constitute evidence of God, much less a specific one with any definable characteristics.

I think that summing it up is that I believe that infinity exists and if that is the case then anything is possible including Santa Claus being in the room. I guess I have to accept that believing something so far fetched may make it seem like my take on things should be immediately dismissed, but I have asked myself whether stranger things have happened, and my answer to myself is that a man from many centuries ago who told people that there were millions of invisible organisms in the room was in danger of being considered mad. That didn't change the fact that he was right.

If infinity exists then what can be "impossible"? I think that I do understand but I would think that there would be definable characteristics like "aware"

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 06:51 AM
Q99

Originally posted by The MISTER

If infinity exists then what can be "impossible"?

Well, lots of things.

Like, to talk numbers, there's infinite fractions between 0 and 1, but in all of them, no 2 or -1.

Infinite is just an amount. Infinite doesn't guarantee things are possible.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 07:33 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Q99
Something I'll point out on simplicity and complexity and infinity-

As per entropy, when energy is added to a system, order- that is, complexity- tends to increase. We see this every day.

You don't need a complex being for an increasing amount of complexity. You just need a lot of dumb energy. And not even an infinite amount of energy, though even with an infinite, it need not be a complex one.

What a stupid and wrong post.

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 08:18 AM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Q99
Well, lots of things.

Like, to talk numbers, there's infinite fractions between 0 and 1, but in all of them, no 2 or -1.

Infinite is just an amount. Infinite doesn't guarantee things are possible.

thumb up

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 02:02 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Yeah, it'a like the people who use multiverse theories to claim there's a universe where {insert some very specific, usually self-serving scenario}. Events or entities that are cosmically unlikely or impossible, given physical laws, still won't exist, even given infinite time or infinite universes.

More than that, though, is this really the proof you've been dogging atheists about? Can you at least admit you're no more sure than anyone else, and that it's not irrational to doubt the existence of God based on the rationale you've put forth?

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 04:23 PM
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Yeah, it'a like the people who use multiverse theories to claim there's a universe where {insert some very specific, usually self-serving scenario}. Events or entities that are cosmically unlikely or impossible, given physical laws, still won't exist, even given infinite time or infinite universes.

More than that, though, is this really the proof you've been dogging atheists about? Can you at least admit you're no more sure than anyone else, and that it's not irrational to doubt the existence of God based on the rationale you've put forth?

If you're counting something then you can end up with an infinite amount. You're specifically referencing to numbers, and numbers are usually mere representations of some other thing whether you're counting seconds or aircraft carriers. Numbers are figurative and what I'm saying is that there is much evidence of a literal infinite substance and power.

I will admit that what I've come up with is rudimentary at best but I am willing to have it scrutinized. To be honest the fault that I've found with atheism is the certainty entailed with terms like "never" in an area of thought that one would think should be open. I feel that doubting the existence of God/infinity is not irrational, I just see evidence that proves God's/infinity's existence abundantly available, so steadily doubting is very difficult for me to understand.

All signs point to infinite power being the reality and in no way a fantasy. Science shows that our universe expands at an amazing rate. Opposites assure us that where the least powerful sentient being exists, the most powerful sentient being exists as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if atheism is correct and there is no all powerful being, isn't it possible that humans are the most powerful sentient beings in the universe? The thing that drives me to challenge atheism is the fact that it allows for an existence where humans can have the most influence on living things. A world where humans are the final authority on what is right and wrong morally is 100% unbelievable given our nature. The things that make us what we are make it impossible to accurately define anyone except ourselves, and many people struggle with the defining themselves part.

Knowing how vanity has influenced mankind in the past, can you blame me for being leery of an insistence that men are worthy/capable of judging each others lives? Humans that commit despicable acts and are never caught by humans have escaped punishment if humans are the final authority. Atheists do not have to promote this, it is just an understood notion in an existence where it is "impossible" to "meet your maker".

Please feel free to dissect my " borderline delusional " post from earlier and show me why the evidence is disconnected. I won't get my feelings hurt so you can be blunt.
I did however come up with a simple question that will determine whether we will just have to agree to disagree.

The statement "All exists." is a fact. True or false?

Last edited by The MISTER on Dec 2nd, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 10:26 AM