KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » No Iron Man 3 For Jon Favreau

No Iron Man 3 For Jon Favreau
Started by: The Nuul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
A fight scene should be done as seriously as possible, considering it was leading up to near to the end of the film and is meant to convey a dangerous, tense situation. It shouldn't be comedic with the 'goofy man trying to impress/protect the hot woman' cliche but failing miserably.

Even the scene at the racetrack with Pepper and Hogan bumbling round in the car with the suitcase suit detracts from the eventual scene, we could have had a lot longer and cooler fight with Whiplash, what we got was disappointing to say the least.

Jesus. Do you criticize the action scenes in the Indiana jones movies too, because they are done with a bit of humor? It's not like it should be serious as a WW2 film. The audience wants fun thrills, and the movie delivered.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 29th, 2010 01:26 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

That Black Widow fight wasn't thrilling though. Those dudes crumbled like saltines. I don't remember them even fighting back.

The whole movie was actually kind of sub-par. Was it entertaining? Yeah, I thought so. But I don't think I'd watch it again.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2010 07:00 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Yea, I didnt like Black Widow. Her fighting was lame.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2010 07:13 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by roughrider
Jesus. Do you criticize the action scenes in the Indiana jones movies too, because they are done with a bit of humor? It's not like it should be serious as a WW2 film. The audience wants fun thrills, and the movie delivered.

The Indiana Jones movies have a lot more simplified fight scenes and may I remind you that the humour in any of those individual movies never bloats so much so it loses the point of the scene to yet more comedy. Also the film only mildy refers to it being based around WW2 and is centered more around the war and not in the thick of it so your attempt at sarcasm fails.

I just felt it was unnecessary for MORE comedy considering it was already up to that point saturated with enough meaningless scenes/characters and script that didn't go anywhere because of similar attempts at 'humour'.

Fun thrills, yes it had some but when a director starts to let his ego into the film up to the point where he has to appear in it and it being no less than in an action scene is just terrible. Many directors appear in their own movies but only in cameo form (voices too), and not a character that feels they are part of the adventure or the 'team'. IM1 he was just 'the driver' he has a name and its a veritable character but he's not doing anything to impact the story and that works, this changes in IM2 where he's everywhere.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 06:25 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
"Iron Man" is one of the best superhero films of all time, and easily one of my favorite movies ever.
"Iron Man 2" was good, but a major step down from the previous movie. Rourke was terrific as the villain, but Stark became more of an ass and there were a lot of plotholes that Favreau almost TOLD you to overlook.

I am crushed Favreau has left the franchise, and I am extremely worried for the sequel.

I also prefer the first Iron Man film over the second one. Iron Man 2 didn't have major plot holes. It just had a different formula than the first film. The first film's plot flowed much smoother and everything was connected. The second film was supposed to be about Tony Stark dealing with a lot of crap around him at the same time (government wants his armors, has to fight Whiplash, has to create a new element from his dad's research, has to save himself from dying, etc.)

Favreau leaving the franchise worries me. When Richard Donner left Superman, the franchise dropped. When Singer left the X-Men franchise, it dropped. Batman Forever was mediocre (no different than the first two Burton films) but that is because BF was a foreshadowing of what was about to follow (and we will NOT discuss what followed after Batman Forever sick ).

Old Post Jan 24th, 2011 05:36 PM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Since the films are the properties of Marvel Studios, I think the continuity will stay clean between Favreau's films and what the new director does. There won't be a 'Schumachering' of the franchise.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2011 11:37 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Looks like Shane Black is in talks to direct Iron Man 3, good call.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=30757

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Feb 10th, 2011 03:56 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Looks like Shane Black is in talks to direct Iron Man 3, good call.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=30757

i read that.. i hope it actually happens

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 11th, 2011 03:06 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Hope we get Mandarin for the third movie.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2011 07:08 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Im actually glad he's not returning. I think the first Iron Man is a great movie and even though the second one was a mess it still had many redeeming factors. I'd like to see what someone else can do with the franchise since the ground work has been laid. Besides, i'd like to see him return to his dark and cynical comedy roots.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2011 11:40 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I fail to see how the second movie was a mess...... erm

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 04:26 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

It had a lot of bad parts that were at least partially covered up with a lot of "I guess that was pretty cool looking" parts.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 06:26 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Seems to be confirmed that Shane Black will direct!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/sha...-man-3/?_r=true

Now maybe we should change this thread to simply Iron Man 3...

Old Post Feb 18th, 2011 07:31 PM
Mr. Rhythmic

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
Iron Man 2 didn't have major plot holes. It just had a different formula than the first film

It had a good deal of plotholes. Like how can Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes just take a suit? Is there no password protection? No software to keep random people from flying off with it? And how does he know how to use it so well?
How did James Rhodes take off the suit after flying it to the US Army camp? There were no robotic arms! Plus, it was even intact after he took it off! How did they know how to assemble/disassemble it?
Why did Whiplash take off his helmet during the fight with War Machine and Iron Man? There was absolutely no reason to.
And what was Whiplash's obsession with whips anyways? Why would he put it in a final suit when he knows it wasn't effective in the first place?
If S.H.I.E.L.D. agents are around all the time, why doesn't anyone of them help out when the army of Iron Man drones attacks the Stark Expo?
How did Tony Stark leave his house without being detected by Agent Coulson?
How did Ivan build his final Whiplash suit without Justin Hammer noticing? In fact, that suit's entirety felt freakishly rushed.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2011 12:13 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Maybe it's because I'm a little nerdy, but I found it incredibly ridiculous how quickly Tony Stark and Whiplash were able to commandeer any piece of technology they wanted. Does no one password protect their stuff? Are all the other programmers in the Marvel Universe completely inept?

Old Post Feb 19th, 2011 10:05 AM
spidermanrocks

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
It had a good deal of plotholes. Like how can Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes just take a suit? Is there no password protection? No software to keep random people from flying off with it? And how does he know how to use it so well?
How did James Rhodes take off the suit after flying it to the US Army camp? There were no robotic arms! Plus, it was even intact after he took it off! How did they know how to assemble/disassemble it?
Why did Whiplash take off his helmet during the fight with War Machine and Iron Man? There was absolutely no reason to.
And what was Whiplash's obsession with whips anyways? Why would he put it in a final suit when he knows it wasn't effective in the first place?
If S.H.I.E.L.D. agents are around all the time, why doesn't anyone of them help out when the army of Iron Man drones attacks the Stark Expo?
How did Tony Stark leave his house without being detected by Agent Coulson?
How did Ivan build his final Whiplash suit without Justin Hammer noticing? In fact, that suit's entirety felt freakishly rushed.

In both the comics and the movies, Tony and Rhodey are very good friends. Tony trusts Rhodey more than anyone else. In the first film, Rhodey was the FIRST person that Tony wanted to show the suit to. So I trust that Tony has given Rhodey more info on the suit during those 6 months (the second film takes place six months after the first film). The first movie did have ONE plot hole though. How did Obadiah Stane learn how to use the suit so fast? Tony needed practice using it. Even Rhodey needed practice using it (as I said earlier, Tony most likely showed him how to use the suit during those six months). So how did Obadiah know how to use it?

The suit doesn't need the robotic arms to be dissasembled. Tony was shown wearing his suit without the mask and was also shown wearing only the gloves of the suit. And even if you need robot arms to dissasemble it, then you don't think they have them? His mansion isn't the only place in the world with those robotic arms. Tony placed robotic arms that dissasembled the suit wherever the suit would go. He even had them during a presentation that he was doing at the beginning of the movie.

What would be the whole point of keeping the helmet on? Whether or not he wore it, it wouldn't have made a difference. It's not really a plot hole. And if it is, then it is a VERY VERY VERY minor plot hole. You're just nitpicking now.

He thought the whips would have worked this time because he they were part of a more advanced suit. And Justin Hammer most likely DID know about the suit. Remember that Justin Hammer gave Vanko full control over the Iron Man suits and didn't interfere with anything. He even let him use androids instead of robotic suits.

SHIELD agents aren't around that much. The only agents that appeared in the movie were Black Widow, Agent Coulson, and Nick Fury. Black Widow was an undercover agent. And she WAS there helping out when the Iron Man drones attacked Stark Expo. Nick Fury only appeared to help Tony get back on his feet and to give him the info required for him to continue his dad's research. That was his job in the movie. Once that job was finished, he left. And keep in mind that he had other members to recruit into the Avengers. He had to deal with superheroes from all over the world, which is why he wasn't always around Tony. And Agent Coulson wasn't there during the attack.

I'll give you that Agent Coulson not detecting Tony was a plot hole. You're right about that.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2011 07:25 PM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Why wouldn't Whiplash keep the helmet on? Are you serious? I forget which one did it but one of them tried to shoot him in the face. He closed his helmet in time but immediately took it back off afterwords. The first thoughts in his head should have been "They are trying to kill me. I shouldn't leave my brain open to every single form of attack they possess."

It's not necessarily a plot hole though if you consider how vain and stupid Whiplash seemed to be.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2011 12:06 AM
spidermanrocks

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Why wouldn't Whiplash keep the helmet on? Are you serious? I forget which one did it but one of them tried to shoot him in the face. He closed his helmet in time but immediately took it back off afterwords. The first thoughts in his head should have been "They are trying to kill me. I shouldn't leave my brain open to every single form of attack they possess."

It's not necessarily a plot hole though if you consider how vain and stupid Whiplash seemed to be.

Have you thought of the possibility that maybe he was more comfortable without his helmet on?

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2011 03:35 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I also only noticed Anton Vanko whiplash's father was Crimson Dynamo.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2011 07:01 AM
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
He even let him use androids instead of robotic suits.

For me that part at least was a complete cop-out. It was so obviously a plot device so that Iron Man wasn't killing people in suits at the end.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2011 12:52 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote