KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Possible new direction for the X-books Possible *Spoilers*

Possible new direction for the X-books Possible *Spoilers*
Started by: ExodusCloak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ExodusCloak

Possible new direction for the X-books Possible *Spoilers*

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02...x-men-for-2012/

quote:
I have been led to understand by a reputable comics source certain details about the future direction of the X-Men books, post-Fear Itself, possibly towards the end of the year, but into the next.

Understand, that is this is as a result of a recent X-summit, but also that these are plans many months away from completion and the details are bound to change. It may indicate a certain direction to look out for, however.

I’m told the members of the X-Men areplanned to be split into two very distinct teams and books, each with a different moral outlook, aligning along the traditional Xavier/Magneto divide. Scott Summers, Cyclops, will lead the Xavier-minded team, while the Magneto-motivated will be led by… Wolverine!

Jason Aaron will be writing a four issue extra-sized mini about Wolverine’s X-Men, with a different celebrity comics artist on each issue. Marc Silvestri is down for one and McNiven is another.

And look for companion mini-series focused on the setup of Scott’s X-Men, potentially to be written by current Uncanny X-Men writer Kieron Gillen.

And of course, Wolverine will stay in X-Force… and Avengers… and Moon Knight… and Wolverine… and…

Old Post Feb 10th, 2011 10:34 AM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I knew Xforce would evolve into this state.

The new version of the Xmen Gold and Blue teams. Lead respectfully by Storm and Scott.

Now I guess Red/Black and Blue/Gold??????

Logan should leave the Avengers and focus on such a team...especially if he is going to play Home/Team Leader.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2011 11:01 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

quote:
Q: On the other end of the event spectrum, I understand you have a new book coming in May to kick off the next X-Men event with the four issue "X-Men: Prelude" series by Paul Jenkins. Is this story a bit of a culmination of Axel's time leading the X-Office? I know he'd been hinting a big story in the works for a while before becoming Editor-in-Chief.

Brevoort: The X-Men event that's coming up is definitely not an ending or the close of an era necessarily, because by the end of it we'll establish a new situation that will project the X-Men into the next few years, potentially. That having been said, the day-to-day responsibilities for the X-Men have passed from Axel to Nick Lowe, and so Nick will be much more involved in the specific of events there and may guide them in a slightly different direction. That having been said, Axel is Editor-in-Chief and is going to be overseeing all of this stuff, so it'll still head down the path he's set for it.

But the incoming X-event is definitely a culmination of a number of the threads and story points that have been percolating since back in "Messiah CompleX," and maybe even a little earlier than that. Paul's story functions as an overture to the event. It's not connected so much on a plot level as it is on a thematic level. It sets the table for what's to come from July to October, which is when the next X-Crisis will hit.

Q: In story terms, Axel has been talking a lot about the stories coming up dealing with a leadership struggle, and as far as I understand it "X-Men: Prelude" will focus each issue on a different character -- the first drawn by Robert De La Torre and the second by Laurence Campbell. Paul Jenkins often does stories for you guys that pull in tight on character work amidst big events. How does this project fit that skill set?

Brevoort: There are two different things. The story coming up focuses not so much on the finite question of, "Who will lead the X-Men?" as much as it does the broader notion of, "Where does the mutant race want or need to be led at this point? Who is in the best position to give that guidance?" Certainly within the books over the past couple of years, the X-Men have drifted away from Professor X's philosophy and onto another path that Cyclops has been forced by circumstances to take them down, along with some other folks -- Wolverine and Rogue and a few others. Paul's story specifically focuses on the four characters who are at the forefront of the leadership question for mutantkind: Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine and Magneto. Each issue of the series -- because Paul tends to focus on individual 22-page stories even as they all connect in the larger whole -- will paint a picture and give you an idea of what the mindset, direction and directive for each of these guys is going into the next event. And as I said, that'll be less about who leads the team as it will be about, "Where do we go from here?" or, "What is the path we'll choose to follow?" Some degree of optimism has returned with the appearance of Hope and the Five Lights, meaning that maybe the mutant race is not as absolutely on a path to extinction as it seemed over the past couple of years. So what do they do next as a result of this sea-change? Paul's story is very much about who these four characters are as individuals and what their specific philosophies are as we dive into that epic.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=30797

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 12:56 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Damn it. I was hoping Marvel was breeding Scott to be a Magneto replacement, but it looks like Fear Itself will revert him back into the bland character void people like PR love. Now will never see all the awesome covers of Cyclops wearing Magneto's helmet...

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 04:23 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Look on the bright side. We'll see the awesome covers of Wolverine wearing Mags' helmet

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 04:32 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I'm not sure I like it...

I've always felt Wolverine believed in Xaiver's dream the most of any of the X-Men, but at the same time recognized that there was no place for someone like him in the end goal. He was there to facilitate Xavier's dream by means which the other X-Men were unable or unwilling to, hoping to create a better world that he would have no part of.

I think it would be more interesting if the roles were reversed, but the X-Men line has been dead air for years now outside of X-Force so maybe this will breath some life into it again.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 04:57 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

I really don't think this rift will have anything to do with Xavier and Magneto's ideologies. As the X-Office have stated time and time again, Scott has a third way. We always knew Xavier's dream was naive. Heck Xavier knew that hence all that stuff in Original Sin about bringing Wolverine in as the X-Mens weapon.

Wolverine's "beef" with him is going to be about the kill/no kill policy. I think they both believe in humans and mutants coexisting together.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 04:58 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

The X-Men have used Wolverine for years precisely because he is willing to kill... seems like an odd time to put their foot down. Wolverine has always been quicker to kill someone than Magneto or the Brotherhood (save Sabretooth or maybe Mystque) ever have.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 05:20 PM
ExodusCloak

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The X-Men have used Wolverine for years precisely because he is willing to kill... seems like an odd time to put their foot down. Wolverine has always been quicker to kill someone than Magneto or the Brotherhood (save Sabretooth or maybe Mystque) ever have.

I think it's more of an issue of pro-activeness. Thing that I find most interesting is that all of the people who would be closest to Wolverine (Storm, Kitty) would not approve of it.

So I'm wondering what's the deal will be with the split. Even Psylocke was hesitant to kill the Apocalypse kid.

I'd say Emma would be more inclined to agree with Wolverine but I can't see them splitting her and Scott. I mean she's even said that she doesn't agree with some of Scotts decisions (Utopia) but she'll back him up anyway.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 05:29 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Damn it. I was hoping Marvel was breeding Scott to be a Magneto replacement, but it looks like Fear Itself will revert him back into the bland character void people like PR love. Now will never see all the awesome covers of Cyclops wearing Magneto's helmet...

ha.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 05:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

this is very interesting.. hope it all turns out good

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 09:58 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

I so agree with you. Scot is such a better character now then his boy scot puss self.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2011 07:41 PM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

I'm not sure I like it...

I've always felt Wolverine believed in Xaiver's dream the most of any of the X-Men, but at the same time recognized that there was no place for someone like him in the end goal. He was there to facilitate Xavier's dream by means which the other X-Men were unable or unwilling to, hoping to create a better world that he would have no part of.

I think it would be more interesting if the roles were reversed, but the X-Men line has been dead air for years now outside of X-Force so maybe this will breath some life into it again.

cosigned. He always been what they call the soul of the x-men. He believes in the dream and willing to do what needed to make it a reality, but also realizes that he can never be apart of such a world.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2011 07:44 PM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Hey, don't forget he was jerk too, not just a void!

Old School Scott Summers is Matt Murdock without the charisma, charm, or condoms.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post May 18th, 2011 10:47 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
I so agree with you. Scot is such a better character now then his boy scot puss self.

Coming from a Wolverine fan, that doesn't exactly mean much.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 20th, 2011 04:20 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Indeed, just like the relationship with most Superman and Batman fans.

Guess I must be the odd one out here for thinking the part with Cyclops having Magneto's helmet was stupid.

Old Post May 20th, 2011 05:41 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: There's a new Hellfire Club anyway

Not sure how that fits in with Schism.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 11:42 AM