KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » inimalist's Tournament

inimalist's Tournament
Started by: inimalist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
I remember using Joker briefly in delph's "change characters every round" high meta tourney. Everyone was like "**** it's the Joker. What's Digi doing with him?!" I assume they were prepping against some sort of Joker-insanity-to-empathic-attack route (which, admittedly, sounds quite awesome now that I think about it). Anyway, it was a complete bluff, entirely to mess with everyone. I had some hearty laughs though, and hopefully wasted a few opponents' time.

evil face
laughing out loud

Sign me up as a judge.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 05:34 PM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I don't think leo and I would work well together at this point. We'd probably just try to give the work to the other, then show up without a writeup and some threats to ban judges if they didn't vote for us.

I have like 2-3 high metas I'd adore using, but no coherent plan. My fanboy desire to get them involved would be overwhelming, and I'd end up losing to a good power mesh or somesuch. At best I'd work well as "here's an awesome last character" to a partnership that already has a over-arching strategy, thus my willingness to be in a duo with a sufficiently awesome starter plan.

And wait, Iron Man was the OP's limit, then in said Magneto. Which is it?

Originally posted by Black bolt z
laughing out loud

Sign me up as a judge.

I'm envisioning a Joker/Psycho Man team-up now. It would be hilarious. Counterable, certainly, but fun.

Last edited by Digi on Apr 17th, 2011 at 06:33 PM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 06:19 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

And wait, Iron Man was the OP's limit, then in said Magneto. Which is it?

Magneto

more people seemed to want higher level characters...

though, I do only have 2 contestants at this point... sad

Originally posted by Black bolt z
Sign me up as a judge.

done

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 07:03 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Existere
I'm trying to decide whether I think it's particularly broken, but it certainly lends itself to this idea of trying out new characters and all that.

now that the limit is herald, I might have to rethink this, because those types of powers aren't as rare and they are much more refined. It might be broken, but it opens up a type of break for everyone, which unfortunatly might lead to "reality beats time" or other circular arguments...

I do want to keep them in... I'll have an updated rules post sometime today for sure to clarify everything

Originally posted by Existere
Yay fresh ideas.

ya, if nothing else, it will be fun to see people come up with insane time and reality warping strategies

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 07:13 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

I don't think leo and I would work well together at this point. We'd probably just try to give the work to the other, then show up without a writeup and some threats to ban judges if they didn't vote for us.

if it's not broke...... big grin

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 08:54 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

EDIT nvrmind

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 11:31 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

We need to get more interested parties and pimp this sucka out.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 10:31 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I'm watching an exam ATM, as someone pointed out quite astutely, I should advertise in kmc's other vs sections... or, at least the anime ones.

EDIT: after the exam I will do this

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 11:25 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
We need to get more interested parties and pimp this sucka out.

thumb up

I told inimalist to go market it out to the other sections. Anyone have connections in the anime & anime vs sections? After inimalist posts the thread we should still PM people and get them involved.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 01:37 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Bah. Low herald? High meta ftw. At least it saves that level for a future tourney that I can enter when I'm less strapped for time.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 04:15 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Bah. Low herald? High meta ftw. At least it saves that level for a future tourney that I can enter when I'm less strapped for time.

Yeah, it's all about you, isn't it?

Dick.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:10 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Heh. He's actually doing me a favor. I either would've entered and not been able to commit myself sufficiently, or wouldn't have and would've missed competing. Low herald takes the angst out of it for me. I'm thrilled to just be a judge now.

And yes, I'm super important.

happy

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:20 AM
tsilamini

inimalist's Tournament

some major format changes just in the rule layout, I've tried to hit every question that has come up since. I will be posting a copy of the rules in some other forums to try and generate some interest, but please do what you can to get the word out.

Let me know if there is anything I've missed, anything that seems like an easy exploit, or changes overall you think might improve the event. However, let me know soon, as this is one of the final times to change any of the rules.

Unless there are any serious concerns, these rules are final

Registration is open for participants, judges and consultants!

The Draft:

Drafts will be done in 3 rounds, with each contestant selecting one low-mid herald level character through a PM to me in each round. For the limit, think a normal level Magneto showing. Choices will be selected in a first come, first serve basis, and all characters from one round must be settled before moving on to the next. No duplicate character's allowed, however the same character from different timelines or realities, etc, is acceptable

Players who miss draft deadlines loose all prep for one match per deadline missed.

Each round of drafts will be conducted in their own thread where everyone can agree or disagree on the character's acceptability under the power limits and if they are "never-used"

No characters who have attacks that would be unstoppable generally. Ala KK's tourney, a A psychic or speedster attack is something you could reasonably expect and prepare for, an attack that is always 100% effective and lethal would not be allowed. Spiritual attacks that work like chi, energy or as an amp are allowed, attacking someone's soul would not be, as few characters have any defence against this

No characters who cannot be KO'd by a means generally available to most characters. Someone who is intangible to physical attacks, but still can be attacked by energy or other means is fine, someone who is only vulnerable to a rare magic item or some such, is not. A character who is unkillable would be fine so long as they can be KO'd reasonably

Time-Travel is not allowed in prep or in the battle. This includes travelling through realities. Other forms of travel are allowed and teleportation like that of Nightcrawler or Cloak is acceptable, though it might technically travel through another dimension, characters do not remain there [unless a plot is involved]. and objects may be brought from or retrieved during prep, however, any object that would make a character above the limits is banned.

All other forms of reality, time and probability manipulation are allowed, however, attacks using them directly would be banned from the tournament as they are unblockable for the vast majority of high meta level characters. However, rather than ban them completely, they are allowed. However, all abilities used bythrough these powers must be shown in a scan. A time manipulator would not simply be allowed to manipulate time in any way you wanted, but only in ways they can be shown as manipulating it on panel.

All forms of magic are allowed, with the above conditions applied. Dr. Strange must have cast a spell in a comic to use it.

Power duplication is allowed so long as the ensuring duplication would not amp a character above the limit. Multiple ManCloning or character duplication type abilities are not allowed.

No amalgams may be drafted. If you find a way to amalgamate your characters during prep or the fight, this is allowed, so long as the amalgamated character does not violate the limits.

I will be deferring to the opinions of King Kandy and TricksterPriest with regard to non-comic characters. I will still claim a final say in all matters, but for the most part, they will be informing how non-comic drafts go

In no way may you ever create through any means, anything that itself would violate these limits, or would cause your characters to violate these limits.

Unlimited posting

“Spirit of the Law” - This means that even if something is not explicitly outlined in the rules, but is found to violate the spirit of the rule, it will also be banned.

I invite and value the input of all forum members during draft selections, however my word is final in all matters.

Prep

Prep is 5 min.

You can go anywhere, retrieve anything, with the above stipulations.

You are not specifically banned from interfering with the battlefield prior to the fight, you just will not be informed of the location of your match before the event begins.

During this period, you will have no knowledge of your opponents, and you can not interfere with the location they are in, even if you do know it.

Any type of prep that produces anything above the limits of the tournament is banned.

before the first match, usernames are not revealed for any contestantteam. Each contestant will not know who they are against in the first round until after the prep posts are revealed, however, they will know the roster of the opponent's team.

Matches

Unlimited posting with no order, though it is more sportsmanlike to allow a proper response to your arguments.

Matches will go until both sides feel they have said all they need to say, or for one week at a maximum.

Judges, appointed prior to the match, will give a public ruling on who they feel did a better job during the debate, not on which characters they think are more powerful or whose team would win in a forum fight. If a contestant did not use a character in the most effective manner, judges are to rule on how the character was used, not on the potential.

Themes: You have the option of choosing a theme. They could be a broad as something like "Avengers" or "Power Cosmic", but not just "cosmic" or "New York". When you sign up for the tourney, you pick a theme. For each character choice, give me, like literally, one sentence as to how it fits the theme, ie: Man-Thing is a plant, or a Mystic, or etc. I will accept even the most broad justifications for themes, again, I don't want to hinder people's creativity, however, there are benefits to picking a team. Depending on whether we want to do a round robin or just a straight tournament, the person whose characters best fit their team will get a bye or an automatic win in their points total. This will be determined by a vote everyone, inducing participants, can decide on. To ensure anonymity, after all draft choices are decided, themes and characters will be matched up for the vote, but usernames are never used. However, just choosing a theme in the first place will earn an additional 15 min of prep! This will be awarded to all players who choose 3 characters that fit a theme.

Under-used characters: so, I stole this idea directly from Psycho Gundam... I hope he doesn't mind... Basically the same idea, there is no "mandatory" use of new characters, however, each character on your team that has never been used in a tournament before gives you an additional 5 min of prep time, and if all of your characters have never been used, you get another additional 5 min. In total, any contestant who has 3 never used characters would get an additional 20 min of prep, and this would stack with the 15 from the theme. When you draft a character you think has never been used, you must inform me of this in the pm or it doesn't happen. I will post that this character is being drafted as “never-used”, and it is up to people to prove this wrong, the onus is not on the person drafting the character. This rule will be slightly modified for non-comic characters. Individual characters can still recieve a 5 min prep bonus, but only teams comprised entirely of comic book characters can recieve the additional 5 min team bonus. A team with non-comic characters can only recieve 15 min of prep through unique characters, whereas a team entirely of comic characters can be 20 min.

Teams: Teams of up to 3 contestants are allowed. In a two contestant team, each member would have exclusive control over one character, decided during the prep post, with one character shared between the two. Three player teams have a single character assigned to each member. This character assignment can change between battles, but never within the same battle. Characters not defined as exclusive to a player or as a shared character may not be used during combat. Solo contestants do not need to worry about assigning characters.

All teams may only submit a single prep post, and it may be written by a single member, or by all members to any degree. This is the only time when one member of the team may control the actions of characters not assigned to them. Otherwise, members may only control the actions of their assigned character, or characters dubbed "shared". It would be reasonable for a player controlling Wolverine to say Colossus (controlled by their partner) throws him for a fast ball special, or vice versa (so long as posts made by the member controlling the other character don't contradict this, ie: colossus couldn't throw wolverine if he was already bear hugging another enemy). It wouldn't be ok for one member to describe the entire attack strategy used by the team.

- i

Last edited by tsilamini on Apr 19th, 2011 at 06:16 AM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 06:03 AM
tsilamini

Contestants:

- Charlotte DeBel
- JakeTheBank & Existere

Judges:

- TricksterPriest
- Digi
- Black bolt z

Non-Comic Consultants:

- King Kandy
- TricksterPriest

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 06:10 AM
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

I have a concern. Blair wind once used spot in a tournament. Spot has the option of remaining in his spot dimension. Would his type of movement be banned?

If a contestant says or tries to prove something that was countered by their opponent in the match, but that I know from my personal comic knowledge that their characters cannot do, can I call them on it as part of my judging, or do I try and ignore it?

Also, what is the hard cap? Prep or otherwise? Magneto is the pick cap, what's the prep/amalgamation/amping/etc cap?

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 06:59 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I have a concern. Blair wind once used spot in a tournament. Spot has the option of remaining in his spot dimension. Would his type of movement be banned?

Well, precedent is both yes and no. I wasn't allowed to, Digi was. erm

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 04:41 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

dimensional travel is banned with the exception of teleportation that relies on it. Spot would be allowed to teleport, or say, send an opponent's attack into another dimension, but travel to that dimension is already banned.

If a contestant says or tries to prove something that was countered by their opponent in the match, but that I know from my personal comic knowledge that their characters cannot do, can I call them on it as part of my judging, or do I try and ignore it?

interesting, let me ponder...

My initial reaction would be to say you are only to judge things that can be backed up with scans, as "I cant find scans" is hardly a good excuse anymore.

Also, what is the hard cap? Prep or otherwise? Magneto is the pick cap, what's the prep/amalgamation/amping/etc cap?

Around "magneto" level. A specific hard cap is probably not really definable, however, my thoughts are that a clear violation would be obvious

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:25 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Blair Wind
Well, precedent is both yes and no. I wasn't allowed to, Digi was. erm

laughing out loud

I don't remember that being a point that won me the tourney though. And I'd actually forgotten you didn't have the same luxury. Good times.

wink

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 08:23 PM
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Perhaps I was not clear on the Spot issue. He moves through a different dimension to teleport. It's not like Nightcrawler's just passing through. I think we should ban Spot's type of movement. Spot has the option of remaining indefinitely in his dimension, and I feel his use of teleportation in that manner violates the spirit of the BFR rule.

2nd concern: So what's your ruling? If someone drafted say, random anime character and says they do this with a scan or feat, but there are extenuating circumstances they aren't saying or don't know about, but their opponent does not call them on it, may I? Or they claim something I flatout know they can't do. Can I use my personal knowledge in making a judgement call? It's not so much an issue of scans as it's the issue of my being allowed to use my personal knowledge of what characters are capable of in disputing BS claims.

3rd: Please elaborate on a clear violation.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 08:25 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

laughing out loud

I don't remember that being a point that won me the tourney though. And I'd actually forgotten you didn't have the same luxury. Good times.

wink

No, what lost me the match was my stupidity. I even got the judges (after the match through PM's) to conceded that if I had done one (very small) strategic step differently, they would have voted my way. Too bad the idea occurred to me a literal day after the match - sort of like our team match DC and I won stick out tongue

Perhaps I was not clear on the Spot issue. He moves through a different dimension to teleport. It's not like Nightcrawler's just passing through. I think we should ban Spot's type of movement. Spot has the option of remaining indefinitely in his dimension, and I feel his use of teleportation in that manner violates the spirit of the BFR rule.

The character can move/teleport/semi teleport Spot-to-Spot or Spot-to-Dimension-to-Spot. Besides, like inimalist already said going Spot-to-Dimension-to-Spot or camping in the spot dimension is already banned. As would sending a person into the dimension (but not their attacks). So I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Last edited by Blair Wind on Apr 19th, 2011 at 09:30 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 09:22 PM