KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » UFC 129 Predictions and Discussion

WHO GETS THE WIN?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
RANDY 0 0%
MACHIDA 1 25.00%
GSP 1 25.00%
JAKE SHIELDS 1 25.00%
BEN HENDERSON 0 0%
MARK BOCEK 0 0%
NATE DIAZ 0 0%
RORY MCDONALD 0 0%
JOSE ALDO 1 25.00%
MARK HOMINICK 0 0%
Total: 4 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UFC 129 Predictions and Discussion
Started by: long pig

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
GSP is a better striker and wrestler than Shields. Sure anything could happen, but I'm not really seeing how being slightly better at BJJ gives Jake decent odds at winning.

Thank you.

See? We can agree on some things.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 01:16 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by batdude123
Thank you.

See? We can agree on some things.

Are we best friends now? Ask your mom if you can come over and play.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 01:35 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

GSP is a better striker and wrestler than Shields. Sure anything could happen, but I'm not really seeing how being slightly better at BJJ gives Jake decent odds at winning.
Canadian.

Also, lmfao at slightly better at bjj.

Shields is a better overall grappler than Gsp.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 02:53 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Which is why I said this.
Originally posted by StyleTime
Mindset, you're the best there is at what you do.

He's like the Wolverine of ****ing with people.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 03:14 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I never joke about Shields, he's a serious man that demands a serious discussion.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 03:20 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

I acknowledge that Shields is a huge threat to GSP, but I just think right now is the wrong time to fight him. A couple years ago, I'd be really concerned, but at this point, he's ever evolving and getting exponentially better (which is scary). I see GSP as being able to keep the fight on the feet by stuffing his take down attempts (via being miles ahead of him athletically) and making it a really bad night for Shields.

GSP via 3rd round TKO.

Last edited by batdude123 on Apr 27th, 2011 at 04:49 AM

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 04:40 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Mindset
I never joke about Shields, he's a serious man that demands a serious discussion.

laughing out loud
I acknowledge that Shields is a huge threat to GSP, but I just think right is just the wrong time to fight him. A couple years ago, I'd be really concerned, but at this point, he's ever evolving and getting exponentially better (which is scary). I see GSP as being able to keep the fight on the feet by stuffing his take down attempts (via being miles ahead of him athletically) and making it a really bad night for Shields.

GSP via 3rd round TKO.

I think GSP will tear him up on the feet, but I am willing to bet that GSP will also go for a takedown at some point.

I like Jake a lot, but it would be nice for GSP to have a clean finish with a TKO.

Also, damnit quit giving in to Mindset. He grows more powerful with each response.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 04:53 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Canadian.

Also, lmfao at slightly better at bjj.

Shields is a better overall grappler than Gsp.

American. roll eyes (sarcastic)

cool

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 04:59 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I'm Italian.

Bonjourno.

Spaghetti and meatballs!

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 06:36 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ha. There is a lot wrong about this thread. At the time i was a bit.....confused....even the poll was too much to figure out. Anyway. What about this whole 'jake is a better grappler' thing? I honestly don't think that true, and if it is, they're not that far apart. Of course he's technically superior, but not practically superior. Technically Kos, hughes and fitch are far, far superior Grapplers. But in use, not so much. BUT the more i watch shields the more I worry about the canadian.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 11:01 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Jake has better grappling than everyone you just named.

How is he technically superior but not practically superior?

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 05:33 PM
StyleTime

I don't think Koscheck, Fitch, and Hughes are superior grapplers to GSP.

Jake's grappling is really in a league of its own. He is so good at grappling, that he wins despite sucking at literally every other aspect of martial arts. You could make the argument that the UFC welterweights are just better than the competition Shield's has faced before, but time will tell.

GSP will still win of course, but it's because GSP is one of the most versatile guys ever in MMA. Heck, GSP is a freak; it wouldn't surprise me if he busted out an even more godlike ground game on Jake.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 05:43 PM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

I think long pig meant "wrestlers," not "grapplers."

Also, in terms of technique vs. practical usage, I understand what he's trying to say. Shogun is technically superior to Jones on the ground, but Jones' athleticism and raw, explosive power really made the difference. Georges is a much better athlete than Jake, and it really wouldn't surprise me if he was able to neutralize Jake's ground game if it ended up there.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 05:54 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I think Jon Fitch would win a split decision against Shields, and I really don't see either of those two having a good shot at beating GSP ever.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 09:48 PM
StyleTime

I think long pig meant "wrestlers," not "grapplers."

Also, in terms of technique vs. practical usage, I understand what he's trying to say. Shogun is technically superior to Jones on the ground, but Jones' athleticism and raw, explosive power really made the difference. Georges is a much better athlete than Jake, and it really wouldn't surprise me if he was able to neutralize Jake's ground game if it ended up there.

Ok. That seems more reasonable then. There is a slight difference between wrestling and the submission fighting that people usually mean when they say "grappling."
I think Jon Fitch would win a split decision against Shields, and I really don't see either of those two having a good shot at beating GSP ever.

When it comes to metahumans like GSP, it all gets relative. In a typical fight, 10% chances at victory are horrible. Against GSP, it's as good as you're going to get. Shields causes such a stir because he is the one fighter that actually brings something to the table. When you take guys like Fitch/Alves/Koscheck, there is literally no area where you can say "yeah, GSP will definitely be in trouble if the fight goes here." GSP just outclasses them. Jake is the only guy where you can point out a specific area in which he might threaten GSP.

When Serra beat GSP, Matt Hughes put it perfectly. GSP should take Serra(in this case Shields) 9/10 times. Serra's(possibly Shields's) victory is just that 1/10 coming through.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 10:34 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Jake should change his name to Matt Shields if he is hoping on getting lucky and pulling a longshot victory out of his hat against GSP.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 10:42 PM
Mindset

Fitch loses a dec or gets submitted by Shields.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 01:39 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jake has better grappling than everyone you just named.

How is he technically superior but not practically superior?
That was the only way i could phrase it. What I mean is Jake, just like every other grappler he's faced, has tons of credentials and titles and GSP has none. KOS was a D1 wrestling champ, but got out wrestled by a guy who's wrestled for what.....less than ten years? Same with Fitch. Hughs too. They are all more skilled at actual wrestling, but GSP is able to apply it better. I'm sure a lot of it is due to superior athleticism, but whatever. He's going to out wrestle jake, and whatever he lacks in bjj, if anything, he'll make up with superior execution. Isn't he a gracie black belt, too? Under Henzo i think. Maybe not. I hope jake wins though. It'd be a great upset to witness.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 09:15 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by long pig
I hope jake wins though.

You're dead to me.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 05:47 PM
StyleTime

laughing out loud

Jake seems like such a cool guy though.

He needs to stop training with the Diaz Bros. I don't want their douchebaggery rubbing off on him.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 06:06 PM