KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Self Publishing My First Book

Self Publishing My First Book
Started by: starlock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

sweet smile

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2011 06:44 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Manuscript is back in my court, so much red hehehe.

So i am going through the first round of edits, noticing some really good comments and changes already. Excited and terrified at the same time to see my book altered in a way. I will give more detail in time.

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 11:30 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

quote: (post)
Originally posted by starlock
Manuscript is back in my court, so much red hehehe.

So i am going through the first round of edits, noticing some really good comments and changes already. Excited and terrified at the same time to see my book altered in a way. I will give more detail in time.

Is it mostly grammar or do they also do thematics?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 12:23 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Both. They correct spelling, give me options for other ways to say a word(in some cases),. Help with sentence structure and maintaining consistency. In my brief moments going over the whole thing i was very happy to see so much help and comments. Though the first round of editing is very detailed so far ( i am up to chapter 9), the second round of editing will be more focused on the meat and bones of the story.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 07:01 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Okay, with some delay due to my not having word 2007 i have finished with round one of the editing. The manuscript is back in their court. I get my first phone call with my editor within a day or so to discuss any concerns and or questions in general.

98% of the changes i agree with, nothing major mind you, just trivial things. Now that all the grammatical errors are out of the way and most of the other minor details we can get to the heart of the story.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2011 08:42 PM
starlock
Team Authority

I had my first phone conversation with my editor, it was a great experience. We spoke so long my battery ran out on my cell, and he even called me back 3x because of the time it took to reboot the phone While i was explaining some of my concerns for the book, he even stopped me for going to fast, as he was writing it all down. I now wait for the manuscript to be returned to me for the second round, i am feeling very good about it so far.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2011 01:13 AM
Omega Vision

I had my first phone conversation with my editor, it was a great experience. We spoke so long my battery ran out on my cell, and he even called me back 3x because of the time it took to reboot the phone While i was explaining some of my concerns for the book, he even stopped me for going to fast, as he was writing it all down. I now wait for the manuscript to be returned to me for the second round, i am feeling very good about it so far.

Sounds like you've got the right person if he's that enthusiastic. smile

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2011 04:24 AM
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

This is all awesome.

I might have missed it, how long did it take you to write the story? From thinking of the concept to actually writing to actually finishing.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2011 11:56 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Originally posted by Barker
This is all awesome.

I might have missed it, how long did it take you to write the story? From thinking of the concept to actually writing to actually finishing.

I have been playing and conducting Dungeons and Dragons sessions for over 25 years. i have always had lots of adventures written and played out over the years. About 5 years ago a friend of mine was over my house and uttered the words "The Smoking Monk"...and i knew right then i would write my story based on it lol. So i took the concept of the Monk and created my own character classes for D&D. We roleplayed for about 2 1/2 years. When i was fired from my job almost 2 years ago, i made a choice to stay home and write my book.
I started with a bible, a list of characters, places, events, and story-lines spanning the course of the world, from creation to future( from before the time the book is set, to the future of the series).
It took me about 10 months to write the actual manuscript. 1 year and 8 months from pencil to paper, starting with the bible. I write on paper and then type in the computer btw.

It should be noted that i also wrote a screenplay for an animated movie, and 1 issue of a comic...based on the world, they were included in the time frame, so it is really is hard to define exactly.

BTW. In discussing illustrations for my book, they will only re-size the images, they will not adjust them for anything else. This means it is up to me (since i do not have any money, nor do i know any pros) to take my scans and get them ready myself. thankfully i am familiar with photoshop!

Old Post Oct 6th, 2011 09:49 PM
§P0oONY

Good books = You get paid to publish.

Bad books = You pay to publish.

If a publisher wont pick you up... move on to something different. Your book is probably just not good enough. Not every unpublished work is a diamond in the rough.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2011 11:39 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by §P0oONY
Good books = You get paid to publish.

Bad books = You pay to publish.

If a publisher wont pick you up... move on to something different. Your book is probably just not good enough. Not every unpublished work is a diamond in the rough.

Well not all self-publishing is vanity publishing.

Self-publishing can be just as valid as old fashioned publishing just more personally expensive and less certain to pay off once your book is out there.

It's an avenue I'm considering but one that I'll turn to if/when the more conventional channels have been exhausted.

A few self-published books have sold over a million copies on Amazon.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2011 11:48 PM
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Well not all self-publishing is vanity publishing.

Self-publishing can be just as valid as old fashioned publishing just more personally expensive and less certain to pay off once your book is out there.

It's an avenue I'm considering but one that I'll turn to if/when the more conventional channels have been exhausted.

A few self-published books have sold over a million copies on Amazon.
As I said "Not every unpublished work is a diamond in the rough."

Some have done very well... but for every one... there will be a million that fail.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2011 11:53 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

As I said "Not every unpublished work is a diamond in the rough."

Some have done very well... but for every one... there will be a million that fail.

He's already spent his money. At this point I don't think pontificating to him about the perils of self-publishing is at all productive.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 12:01 AM
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Omega Vision
He's already spent his money. At this point I don't think pontificating to him about the perils of self-publishing is at all productive.
I just skim read the thread. I figured he was asking for advise.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 12:06 AM
Omega Vision

I just skim read the thread. I figured he was asking for advise.

Ah.

Well no, he's basically using this thread as a kind of blog as well as a discussion for the subject of self-publishing, though I think the ship has already sailed in his case.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 12:21 AM
§P0oONY

In that case... I wish the guy luck.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 12:24 AM
Omega Vision

In that case... I wish the guy luck.

Yeah, all you really can do.

I personally wouldn't go right into self-publishing given the costs but its his decision and I can't say it was the wrong or the right one in his situation.

Best of luck again, Star.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 12:25 AM
starlock
Team Authority

Hey, i welcome all advise and any conversation. I would be foolish not to, however this is not a manuscript that i had tried to get published the traditional way, i never sent it to anybody for that reason. That said, here is what happened in a nutshell.

When the manuscript was finished (1st draft), i had given it to several friends and family to read. When i was deciding what to actually do with the manuscript two of my friends told me they would invest in self publication, they believe it will be a profitable venture for all. I have not actually put any money into this project at all. I decided that if people were willing to invest, i would go with my instinct and give it my all..

So here i am, in the middle of this process, thanks for the kind words and support.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 05:25 PM
Omega Vision

Hey, i welcome all advise and any conversation. I would be foolish not to, however this is not a manuscript that i had tried to get published the traditional way, i never sent it to anybody for that reason. That said, here is what happened in a nutshell.

When the manuscript was finished (1st draft), i had given it to several friends and family to read. When i was deciding what to actually do with the manuscript two of my friends told me they would invest in self publication, they believe it will be a profitable venture for all. I have not actually put any money into this project at all. I decided that if people were willing to invest, i would go with my instinct and give it my all..

So here i am, in the middle of this process, thanks for the kind words and support.

Ahh, well that makes sense. I'd do the same in your position.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2011 02:46 AM
starlock
Team Authority

So i have sent in my manuscript once again. The editing has been pretty easy using the track changes in Word. They addressed all my concerns and even went beyond leaving comments and the normal editing process. In discussing a term i used in the book that i wanted to change, the editor actually put the effort into giving me several options already in the manuscript. The constructive criticism has been a little tough at times in the manuscript i must admit, but looking at the improvements i made from them, i know it was necessarily, but seeing my work taken and being asked to alter it in some way is never easy i guess.

So i now have to send in my images for the illustrations and concept art while finishing the interior layout questioner.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2011 10:10 PM