KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Saints Row: The Third

Saints Row: The Third
Started by: Phanteros

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

I lol'd a bunch in this thread. Good times.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2011 04:32 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I completely agree. GTA4 definitely had style depth and appeal but it always felt tedious. Eluding the police went from a fun feature to a painstaking chore. This isn't fun when all you want to do is get to your next location or objective. The driving physics were also far to finnicky for me. They were well done and all but what happened to being able take corners at a 100mph? That type of fun and thrill was gone. The driving felt borderline simulation for me. My biggest complaint however comes with the missions themselves. Not their structure or game play requirements but rather how they were presented. It always felt like the developers didn't want me to play the missions, what with a lack of checkpoint or simple retry system. That goddamn cell phone was the most annoying piece of shit. With all this said i did appreciate GTA 4. However, Kazenji is right, the sense of fun felt as though it was forgotten in development. Instead we were treated to a realistic GTA.

My thoughts exactly. I recently played Saint Row 2 again and remembered what it was like to be able to do pretty much anything again. I personally hated the driving mechanics in GTA 4. The only car that had any kind of handling was a sports car (the high end ones). I think that these types of games should not take themselves seriously, and that is where Saints Row shines. It will be just pure chaotic fun.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2011 10:15 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Digi
I lol'd a bunch in this thread. Good times.

That's how the game will be too big grin

Old Post Aug 14th, 2011 10:17 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I tried to play a GTA game, I forget which one (3 or 4). Got bored, and "sandbox" aspects were lacking. This seems better.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2011 04:19 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I really liked GTA 4, personally. That said, that freefall trailer sold me on this game, and i'm definitely going to be picking it up.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2011 04:34 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by -Pr-
I really liked GTA 4, personally. That said, that freefall trailer sold me on this game, and i'm definitely going to be picking it up.

I liked, but it just seemed a little too serious, and there is no way I'm trying to be serious in a game like this. That's where I think Saint's Row has it right by still making it outlandish and over the top. I'm very excited for this game. Should be alot of fun. Something to wind down from the shooters I'll be playing like MW3/Battlefield 3

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 07:49 AM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Digi
I tried to play a GTA game, I forget which one (3 or 4). Got bored, and "sandbox" aspects were lacking. This seems better.

Was it more modern? If it was then it was 4. The earlier titles were much more outlandish.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 07:51 AM
cdtm

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I completely agree. GTA4 definitely had style depth and appeal but it always felt tedious. Eluding the police went from a fun feature to a painstaking chore. This isn't fun when all you want to do is get to your next location or objective. The driving physics were also far to finnicky for me. They were well done and all but what happened to being able take corners at a 100mph? That type of fun and thrill was gone. The driving felt borderline simulation for me. My biggest complaint however comes with the missions themselves. Not their structure or game play requirements but rather how they were presented. It always felt like the developers didn't want me to play the missions, what with a lack of checkpoint or simple retry system. That goddamn cell phone was the most annoying piece of shit. With all this said i did appreciate GTA 4. However, Kazenji is right, the sense of fun felt as though it was forgotten in development. Instead we were treated to a realistic GTA.

Wow, and I thought San Andreas was bad because of the 15 minute drives across city just to restart a mission..

Makes me glad I didn't pick the latest one up.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 08:05 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by cdtm
Wow, and I thought San Andreas was bad because of the 15 minute drives across city just to restart a mission..

Makes me glad I didn't pick the latest one up.

To GTA4's credit, you could fast travel in a taxi for a small fee if you wanted.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 08:13 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

That taxi ride can also be free when using your brothers taxi rank.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 08:35 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Ahhhh.....forgot about that. Good catch.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 08:37 AM
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Love the Bane references.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 05:40 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by socool8520
I liked, but it just seemed a little too serious, and there is no way I'm trying to be serious in a game like this. That's where I think Saint's Row has it right by still making it outlandish and over the top. I'm very excited for this game. Should be alot of fun. Something to wind down from the shooters I'll be playing like MW3/Battlefield 3

I honestly liked that they tried to go for a more "serious" outlook on it. It suited the mechanics of the game too, which for me were excellent in terms of physics and the like.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 05:45 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

GTA does what it does well. A well rounded sandbox with good story and gameplay. Because it's serious doesn't make it bad, just makes it serious.

Same can be said for all the Saints. A well rounded sandbox with over the top(but still good) story and good gameplay, but it's over the top and just fun.

They're both different parts of the same genre, and both those parts are good. Can't wait for Saints 3rd and GTA 5 when it finally comes out.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 07:09 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by KingD19
GTA does what it does well. A well rounded sandbox with good story and gameplay. Because it's serious doesn't make it bad, just makes it serious.

Same can be said for all the Saints. A well rounded sandbox with over the top(but still good) story and good gameplay, but it's over the top and just fun.

They're both different parts of the same genre, and both those parts are good. Can't wait for Saints 3rd and GTA 5 when it finally comes out.

Same here.

Any news on how character creation is this time around?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 07:11 PM
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Originally posted by KingD19

This.

And Just Cause 3.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 07:18 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Never played Saints Row 2, but the I had a blast with the first one.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 09:00 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Barker
This.

And Just Cause 3.

yes please. Just Cause 2 was awesome. One of my favourite games of the last few years.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 09:33 PM
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

yes please. Just Cause 2 was awesome. One of my favourite games of the last few years.

Same.

I'm hoping for some multiplayer next time around though.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 10:53 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Same here.

Any news on how character creation is this time around?

The level of customization is near that of some MMO's like Champions Online and DC Universe Online from what I've heard.

I haven't seen anything yet, but with as much upgrading as they did to the game as a whole, I believe they'll take customization just as far, if not further. You can probably even adjust the size of Boss's package, lol.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 11:07 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote