KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul.

ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul.
Started by: Nephthys

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
G007
Yeah, because it, you know, took Kenobi forever to trounce Grievous in sabers.

We have reason (and when I say reason, I mean details from the ROTS novelization) to believe that Obi-Wan Kenobi was being empowered by the Force to an uncommon degree during that battle, hence his somewhat casual dominance over the general in what was otherwise a rivalry in which they seemed rather equitable in overall dueling ability.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:46 AM
Click here to Send RagingBoner a Private Message Find more posts by RagingBoner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by RagingBoner
We have reason (and when I say reason, I mean details from the ROTS novelization) to believe that Obi-Wan Kenobi was being empowered by the Force to an uncommon degree during that battle,
You have the excerpt on hand? I'm way too lazy to look, atm.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:50 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

G007

I have something in my hand, all right, but it's most certainly not the excerpt.

no expression

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:54 AM
Click here to Send RagingBoner a Private Message Find more posts by RagingBoner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jinsoku Takai
CIT Network Technician

Originally posted by Galan007

Something about him becoming a vessel of this Force or something like that.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:55 AM
Click here to Send Jinsoku Takai a Private Message Find more posts by Jinsoku Takai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jinsoku Takai
CIT Network Technician

Originally posted by RagingBoner
I have something in my hand, all right, but it's most certainly not the excerpt.

no expression

blink

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:55 AM
Click here to Send Jinsoku Takai a Private Message Find more posts by Jinsoku Takai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

JT
blink

This must be the face of sexual arousal.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:57 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'd say its more a 'oh crap somethings in ma butt' face.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:59 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Nah, especially given that Soresu users are known for getting involved in long, drawn out battles.
So it would take RotS Kenobi 20 minutes to kill Zett Jukasa? Having prolonged duels is a tactic used to wear down or provide opportunities against superior opponents. Nothing implies that it would take a Soresu user forever and a day to defeat someone who is vastly their superior in skills and technique.

Furthermore, even if it was a long duel, it would mostly be of Obi-Wan toying with him, ala his CW movie fight with Ventress. Hardly some desperate scrap like against Anakin.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:59 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Meant to say vastly their inferior. You cock.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 03:15 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jinsoku Takai
CIT Network Technician

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
[B] Nothing implies that it would take a Soresu user forever and a day to defeat someone who is vastly their superior in skills and technique.

Assuming you mean inferior (although superior is probably right), where's your canon quote/evidence of Maul being "vastly inferior" to Kenobi in saber skill/technique?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 03:27 AM
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

N.
butt' face.

D... d-did you just call me... a butt face?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 03:29 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Assuming you mean inferior (although superior is probably right), where's your canon quote/evidence of Maul being "vastly inferior" to Kenobi in saber skill/technique?
Superior showings, has fought much more reputable characters, has a track record that isn't restricted purely to defeating two featless wonders then losing to a Padawan, etc.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 03:31 AM
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

Blax
has fought much more reputable characters,

Maul's fought Palpatine, who's a great deal more dangerous than anyone I can recall Obi-Wan raising his blade against.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 03:33 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Dooku > Palpatine in sabers according to the infallible Sorgo.

Come at me (but not on me).

Last edited by Tzeentch on Jun 14th, 2011 at 03:36 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 03:34 AM
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

Blax
Dooku > Palpatine in sabersaccording to the infallible Sorgo.

I shan't insult or attack Sorgo ([SPOILER - highlight to read]: for I was rather fond of him), but while the good Count's technical expertise very likelypossibly surpassed his that of his Master, Palpatine was substantially more powerful in the Force and that usually gives the opponent an edge; Palpatine is more dangerous, intelligent, and powerful than his elderly disciple.

So Maul's got the edge when it comes to the pinnacle of reputable opponents.

quote:
Blax
Come at me (but not on me).

I believe I just did both. I will allow you to wipe your face off with the nearest available napkin, but you will keep it as a souvenir.

edited for accuracy

edited again for accuracy; Palpatine was a practitioner of Juyo, which requires that he be a master of multiple lightsaber forms, which indicates great skill.

Last edited by RagingBoner on Jun 14th, 2011 at 03:42 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 03:38 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The difference being that Kenbi didn't get his ass kicked against said reputable opponents like Maul did against Palpatine.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 10:36 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Kenobi in seconds.

I really cant see Kenobi defeating ANY Sith Lord in seconds.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 10:52 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Nephthys
The difference being that Kenbi didn't get his ass kicked against said reputable opponents like Maul did against Palpatine.

LOL Kenobi never got his ass handed to him by Dooku??!! Even that was with Anakin at his side.

Kenobi has no feats against Dooku whatsoever.

Kenobi also got disarmed and knocked on his ass by Ventress, someone who is not even close to Dooku's league.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 11:27 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

As ever, I'm talking about lightsaber combat.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 11:31 AM
Darth Thor

Still no feat N.

All we have is a thought of Dooku's while he was under serious pressure from Anakin..

Oh and getting disarmed and tossed on the floor by Ventress was in Saber combat.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jun 14th, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 11:57 AM