KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Voldemort as a villain

Voldemort as a villain
Started by: RagingBoner

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

Voldemort as a villain

My co-worker is a Harry Potter fanatic and, through incessant references to the books and films, has rekindled my my interest in that universe.

Rereading the books, I've found that Voldemort comes across as an unusually intimidating and terrifying literary figure in many of the scenes in which he's featured, chiefly his return in the Goblet of Fire (just before the Priori Incantatem occurs) and his very first scene in the Deathly Hallows.

That said, I've also been reintroduced to his monumental stupidity, which mitigates his considerable potential as a villain.

Did anyone else find Voldemort as something of a letdown in some respects?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:21 AM
RagingBoner is currently offline Click here to Send RagingBoner a Private Message Find more posts by RagingBoner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Absolutely... I felt like he really didn't understand anything. I have a hard time taking him seriously in book seven, as he makes every mistake possible.

I know he is constantly said to be the most dangerous dark wizard of all, but I can't help but wonder if the characters aren't seeing with a tinted lens. Grindelwald was an international threat while Voldemort was limited mostly to Britain, so I don't see why Tom is considered "the worst".

Last edited by King Kandy on Jun 14th, 2011 at 06:24 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 06:20 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

I truly believe it was Rowling's intent to indicate that Voldemort's natural gifts and expertise in conventional magic is no less than equal to the likes of Dumbledore or Grindelwald, given that Dumbledore isn't a man of false modesty (he comes off as alarmingly blunt at times when it comes to his relative superiority in most respects).
That said, I believe equally that steps could have been taken to present him as more of a threat.
I mean, was Harry invincible? When he returned from the King's Cross limbo at the end of Book 7 and his "meeting" with Dumbledore, could he still have been killed or was he immune to Voldemort's hexes?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 09:52 PM
RagingBoner is currently offline Click here to Send RagingBoner a Private Message Find more posts by RagingBoner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Everyone was immune to his hexes at that point. But yeah, the Elder wand wouldn't turn on its master, nor would any other wand beat Harry outright due to the twin-core, twin-soul thing. Also, remember that Voldemort tried to Crucio his 'dead' body and all of jack and shit happened.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 01:52 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
N.
Everyone was immune to his hexes at that point.

That's what I thought ages ago, but upon rereading it I'm not so sure.

In addition to silencing the crowd and disarming and immobilizing Neville, the text says that Voldemort was "striking and smiting all within reach" as his forces are driven into the Great Hall, not to mention the fact that he was able to subdue his three attackers after Bellatrix was killed.

Even if Harry's death afforded his friends the same protection that Lily's did, Voldemort would still be able to harm or kill them. I'd say it just made his hexes less effective.

quote:
N.
But yeah, the Elder wand wouldn't turn on its master, nor would any other wand beat Harry outright due to the twin-core, twin-soul thing.

Yeah, I know that the Elder Wand wouldn't kill Harry, but Harry wasn't wielding his own wand at that point, remember? The twin-core bullshit is only important if Harry is wielding his wand, which was destroyed in the struggle at Bathilda's house.

quote:
N.
Also, remember that Voldemort tried to Crucio his 'dead' body and all of jack and shit happened.

Because he used the Elder Wand, I think.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 03:09 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:
In addition to silencing the crowd and disarming and immobilizing Neville, the text says that Voldemort was "striking and smiting all within reach" as his forces are driven into the Great Hall, not to mention the fact that he was able to subdue his three attackers after Bellatrix was killed.

All his spells wear off very quickly and are otherwise incredibly weak. They're not just washing off them or anything, but they're not really doing anything significant to people. IIRC they just kind of stand up afterwards free from harm. Even if he hit them with a killing curse it wouldn't have done anything.

quote:
Even if Harry's death afforded his friends the same protection that Lily's did, Voldemort would still be able to harm or kill them. I'd say it just made his hexes less effective.

Nope. Love's Protection is utterly impenetrable from what we've seen. If the killing curse did nothing and Neville being set of frickin' fire did nothing, I can't see a way for Voldemort to do anything to him short of maybe if he hits his head on something in the fight.

The point is that his hexes are so much less powerful that they're all but useless.

quote:
Yeah, I know that the Elder Wand wouldn't kill Harry, but Harry wasn't wielding his own wand at that point, remember? The twin-core bullshit is only important if Harry is wielding his wand, which was destroyed in the struggle at Bathilda's house.

Didn't Olivander or Dumbledore mention that it had gone beyond the twin-core thing? Like, it had been imprinted on their very souls or some shit. IDK, I don't have the book with me right now.

quote:
Because he used the Elder Wand, I think.

Well they're your answer. Unless Voldemort pulls his old wand out of his ass (and I think he got rid of it), I don't see him affecting Harry at all if they were to fight.

Last edited by Nephthys on Jun 15th, 2011 at 02:40 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 02:35 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Remember Voldemort "killed" Harry with the Elder Wand, it seems it will effect him if he does not defend against it.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 04:07 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

N., I'll get to your post ASAP.

ares834
Remember Voldemort "killed" Harry with the Elder Wand,

I'm not sure Harry was killed, biologically or otherwise.

"Then... I'm dead too?"

"Ah," said Dumbledore, smiling still more broadly. "That is the question, isn't it? On the whole, dear boy, I think not."
(Deathly Hallows, pg. 707, hardback edition)

quote:
[i]ares834
it seems it will effect him if he does not defend against it.

I'm not so sure. Voldemort's curse apparently caused no physical harm to Harry other than to render him unconscious; which is, I believe, because the curse destroyed Voldemort's Horcrux. When there was nothing of Voldemort within Harry and Voldemort used the curse again, it rebounded. The text says (as Voldemort dies) that the Elder Wand was sent "spinning through the air towards the master it would not kill."

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 08:20 PM
ares834

Originally posted by RagingBoner
I'm not sure Harry was killed, biologically or otherwise.

"Then... I'm dead too?"

"Ah," said Dumbledore, smiling still more broadly. "That is the question, isn't it? On the whole, dear boy, I think not."
([i]Deathly Hallows, pg. 707, hardback edition)

It's been awhile since I read the book but IIRC Harry survived because his blood flowed through Voldemort's veins creating a psedu-horcrux for lack of a better word. Furthermore it potentially could have killed him as Dumbledore suggests that he could move on.

Edit: "He took your blood believing it would strengthen him. He took into his body a tiny part of the enchantment your mother laid upon you when she died for you. His body keeps her sacrafice alive, and while that enchantment survives, so do you and so does Voldemort's one last hope for himself."

So at least "Dumbeldore" thinks the blood kept him alive.

Last edited by ares834 on Jun 15th, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 10:31 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yet more reasons why Harry was Voldemorts kryptonite.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 11:06 PM
cpa_parkcity

I agree. If he was that powerful, with all those chances you would think he would be able to defeat Harry.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2011 08:19 PM
cpa_parkcity is currently offline Click here to Send cpa_parkcity a Private Message Find more posts by cpa_parkcity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote