KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Stupid AOTC plot holes

Stupid AOTC plot holes
Started by: Fortitude

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chilled monkey

Re: Re: Stupid AOTC plot holes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
She was just "blown up" and dying, someyhing tells me she might not be thinking straight.

That I admit is fair enough.

The window seems to be some sorta "force field" not glass.

Based on what? See below

As for Padme sleeping next to the window... I remind you it's not made of glass

Did you just blink and miss the parts where-

A) Zam's droid cuts a hole in the window.

B) The window SHATTERS when Kenobi leaps through it.

So yes, the windows are made of glass

A guess. He is a Jedi who tracks criminals down regularily. Thus he would know how they typically act.

Except that he doesn't say it's a guess. He says it as if he knows it as a fact.

Why not? Less work for him.

Because it also means he has to share the money.

Not to mention why would a bounty hunter be hired to kill a senator? A bounty hunter is not an assassin; a bounty hunter's job is to catch bail jumpers.

Blinded by love.

Besides the fact that she never displays any sense of attraction or connection towards him thrughout the movie (indeed she seems disgusted by Anakin more than anything else), not being concerned at all by the fact that he slaughtered an entire tribe, including innocent women and children, and displayed no remorse at all, crosses the line from legitimate "blinded by love" (like a woman staying with an abusive spouse) to making Padme look almost like a brainwashed cultist.

Rockets=laser perhaps.

What?

A laser is a beam of light. A rocket is a solid object propelled by a chemical fuel. How, by any stretch of the imagination, are they supposed to be the same thing?

That's like saying

chalk=cheese perhaps.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 02:08 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Re: Re: Re: Stupid AOTC plot holes

Originally posted by chilled monkey
Did you just blink and miss the parts where-

A) Zam's droid cuts a hole in the window.

B) The window SHATTERS when Kenobi leaps through it.

So yes, the windows are made of glass

True. However, the droid does not cut a holw in the glass it somehow seperates it with the light. Plus it still doesn't change the fact

quote:
Except that he doesn't say it's a guess. He says it as if he knows it as a fact.

Big deal. I ofen say a guess of mine without saying its a guess. But if you don't like that explenation than he uses the force. Vader does the same thing in ESB when he says that the Rebels are on Hoth.

quote:
Because it also means he has to share the money.

So what? The guy is rich and he doesn't want to get his hands dirty messing with Jedi. Really it's not hard to explain. Assassin Guilds opperated the same way.

quote:
Not to mention why would a bounty hunter be hired to kill a senator? A bounty hunter is not an assassin; a bounty hunter's job is to catch bail jumpers.

Simple. Bounty Hunters operate diffrently in SW than they do in real life.

quote:
Besides the fact that she never displays any sense of attraction or connection towards him thrughout the movie (indeed she seems disgusted by Anakin more than anything else), not being concerned at all by the fact that he slaughtered an entire tribe, including innocent women and children, and displayed no remorse at all, crosses the line from legitimate "blinded by love" (like a woman staying with an abusive spouse) to making Padme look almost like a brainwashed cultist.

Did you watch the same movie? Did you miss all the scenes on Naboo (I don't blame you if you did)? It's clear that she is attracted to him.

quote:
What?

A laser is a beam of light. A rocket is a solid object propelled by a chemical fuel. How, by any stretch of the imagination, are they supposed to be the same thing?

That's like saying

chalk=cheese perhaps.

I was talking about "slang" in Star Wars. For example, people often call blaster bolts "lasers" in SW despite the fact that they aren't. The Clone could have easily meant ammunition when he was saying rockets.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2011 07:06 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fortitude
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stupid AOTC plot holes

True. However, the droid does not cut a holw in the glass it somehow seperates it with the light. Plus it still doesn't change the fact

Actually, whether or not the window was shielded is a red herring. Even if the window was, the droid should still have simply shot Padme through the window after it stripped the shielding. And if it failed, it could have self destructed or have gone off somewhere random instead of leading back to its master.

quote:

Big deal. I ofen say a guess of mine without saying its a guess. But if you don't like that explenation than he uses the force. Vader does the same thing in ESB when he says that the Rebels are on Hoth.

It's a stupid guess. Zam could have gone in there through a secret escape route, or she could have buddies in there to help her.

quote:

So what? The guy is rich and he doesn't want to get his hands dirty messing with Jedi. Really it's not hard to explain. Assassin Guilds opperated the same way.

Then why would Tyrannus bother hiring somebody that's just going to hire (presumably spending far, far less, since Jango had to make a profit) another underling to do his work? Jango hardly seems like the lazy man to me, and Dooku hardly seems like an idiot.

quote:

Simple. Bounty Hunters operate diffrently in SW than they do in real life.

Yeah, apparently, they're so stupid that they can't just shoot a ****ing missile at the Senator's room.

quote:

Did you watch the same movie? Did you miss all the scenes on Naboo (I don't blame you if you did)? It's clear that she is attracted to him.

Attracted, yes. That doesn't make it realistic or sympathetic at all.

quote:

I was talking about "slang" in Star Wars. For example, people often call blaster bolts "lasers" in SW despite the fact that they aren't. The Clone could have easily meant ammunition when he was saying rockets.

There is a very clear reason why somebody would describe a blaster as a laser. There is no reason why somebody would describe a laser as a rocket, especially since there is a very important differentiation in the military, and you can't really run out of lasers, can you?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2011 09:51 PM
Click here to Send Fortitude a Private Message Find more posts by Fortitude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Honestly I'm not even going to bother responding... I have lost all respect for Lucas and plan to not defend him any longer.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2011 10:17 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Sow hen's the wedding?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 07:19 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KyleAP

Re: Stupid AOTC plot holes

Originally posted by Fortitude
Hi! I'm new here. Just to start a new thread, I'm going to make a list of AOTC plot holes that are...well, stupid. Granted, I'm not one of those Prequel haters that will bash it for being the worst thing since battlefield earth, but recently rewatching these movies and the review from RedMediaLetta inspired me.

AOTC PLOT HOLES.

1. Why didn't Padme's security detect the bomb that was so blatantly planted there? Or was it a missile? Either way, Zam clearly saw Padme survive, and knew that she used a decoy, implying that she was overseeing the attempt. If so, then why didn't she just shoot Padme when she was standing over the body of the decoy and mourning? Furthermore, why such a small missile? Why not just launch a thermonuclear weapon from orbit and blow up the entire structure?

2. Why was Padme's decoy apologizing for failing her? Didn't she do her job like she was supposed to, and gave her life doing so?

3. If people are trying to kill Padme, why is she sitting in a building with clear windows open to trillions of people?

4. Why did Padme sleep next to the window? She wants to use herself as bait, but clearly wants to live too. She survived only because Zam was an idiot and decided to send slow moving bugs through a window instead of just parking her speeder near Padme's apartment and shooting her dead.

5. Why did R2 scan every place except for the windows, the only plausible entrance?

6. How did Obi Wan know that she went in there to run, not to hide?

7. Why would Jango Fett get hired to do something, only to hire someone else to do it?

8. If Obi Wan and Anakin were able to somehow locate Zam's speeder in a sky of billions of them, why couldn't they use this to track down Jango Fett, who was in a rocket pack that probably had a limited range?

9. Why did Jango Fett use a traceable poison dart instead of just a blaster?

10. If Dextor is so knowledgable he knows that the entire Jedi Archive does not, why is he running a small bar?

11. If Kamino was deleted from the Jedi Archives, why didn't Obi Wan just go to the holonet?

12. Ok, so Jango Fett was the template for the clone army; the Jedi know this. Jango Fett was also contracted by the seperatists; the Jedi know this. So the Clone Army was made by a seperatists…to fight seperatists? And they never notice this?

13. Why does Padme have no problem with Anakin committing mass genocide?

14. Why didn’t Obi Wan’s starfighter accelerate during the chase scene? Why did it move so slowly when we know that Star Wars starfighters can move at extremely fast speeds; notice how the X wings circumnavigated Yavin, a gas giant, within minutes?

15. If the LAAT is out of rockets, shoot Dooku down with freaking lasers!

There about a hundred glaring holes in this film.

I frankly think it is one of the worst films ever made ever. Almost every scene has something wrong with it.

Whilst there are a couple of good moments in it, (Obi-Won vs Jango Fett on Kamino, and Yoda using the force to stop the pillar crushing obi-won and anakin at the end), one off shots that are good (Anakin on the speederbike going through the desert to look for his mother and the shots of the Clone troopers on Kamino and then Coruscant at the end. The shot with Obi-Won and Mace looking into the sunset at the end too), the musical score is john williams' normal high standard, there are some good Ben Burtt sound effects too, and the CGI on Kamino is actually very well done.

Other than that: Attack of the Clones is just rubbish. Basically every other aspect of it is BAD! It's an emotionally colourless, cold vacuum, with no substance to anything in it, other than the John Williams score and some of the sound effects. Even the scene where Anakin's mother dies, the emotional sadness dissolves in a flash, and the love story has to be probably the worst, most misjudged romance ever seen in a movie, i dont know how no one had the guts to stand up to Lucas and tell him he had to fix those scenes n get help with the dialogue before the film was released (Even if he was signing their paychecks) the dialogue in those scenes was that bad!

Awfully written, rottenly directed, dully edited, overrun with sterile and overcluttered CGI, boring characters, badly acted, and overall a terrible film.

As a Star Wars fan it saddens me to say that I think it is one of the worst films ever, marginally worse than Phantom Menace.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2013 11:09 PM
Click here to Send KyleAP a Private Message Find more posts by KyleAP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Fix scenes??? Hahaha… this entire movie is so terribly obsolete that he might as well have ditched it as a whole. This movie does not move the story along at all. Everything that we learn about the characters is of no consequence for ROTS.

This movie only tells us two things that we 'need' the know:
1. Anakin and Padme falling in love. But as Kyle pointed out, this was so terribly done, so emotionless, wooden, boring, unbelievable and whatever other adjectives we can find (stupid, silly, ridiculous), that we could have done without it.
2. That a Clone Army is being created. Lucas came up with a detective story which teaches us…. absolutely nothing relevant. Yes, that clones were being made, well duh… Who Syfo Dyas was and how this worked: we never find out. And a silly back story for Boba, with a Jango Fett that has no real relevance for the story, only that he is a template: who cares!

All in all, a pretty looking film without any relevant content.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2013 12:18 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KyleAP

Originally posted by queeq
Fix scenes??? Hahaha… this entire movie is so terribly obsolete that he might as well have ditched it as a whole. This movie does not move the story along at all. Everything that we learn about the characters is of no consequence for ROTS.

This movie only tells us two things that we 'need' the know:
1. Anakin and Padme falling in love. But as Kyle pointed out, this was so terribly done, so emotionless, wooden, boring, unbelievable and whatever other adjectives we can find (stupid, silly, ridiculous), that we could have done without it.
2. That a Clone Army is being created. Lucas came up with a detective story which teaches us…. absolutely nothing relevant. Yes, that clones were being made, well duh… Who Syfo Dyas was and how this worked: we never find out. And a silly back story for Boba, with a Jango Fett that has no real relevance for the story, only that he is a template: who cares!

All in all, a pretty looking film without any relevant content.

Totally agree with everything you've said. This film was written as a filler. There were so many missed opportunities because of the limited script focus, which was to get Anakin into the Darth Vader suit for no real reason, but since that would take one film at most, the first two were more or less toy commercial, CGI testing distractions before getting us to that point.

if you look at Attack of the Clones as a whole it comes across like a production that reeks of disinterest in actual storytelling and devoid of emotional involvement by anyone. A colourful set of CGI sequences slapped together in order to try and appeal to as many movie goers as possible. Written and directed by an accountant, with a crew that are just waiting for their paychecks to come after the shoot.

Ironically (Outside of the 2 things you said) the only other thing that actually happens in Attack of the Clones is Jar Jar Binks proposing emergency powers to Palpatine. I think Lucas only put that in as a big "**** you" to people for not accepting him.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2013 12:24 AM
Click here to Send KyleAP a Private Message Find more posts by KyleAP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

The butthurt is strong with this thread.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2013 05:03 AM
Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe… Well, I dunno. Honestly, it took me a while to get to grips with it. I thought TPM was so so at the time. AOTC seemed so promising with all the lines being set up (like Syfo Dyas, the Clone Army, Jango)… but in ROTS, which was the better of the three, I didn't get AOTC at all… Why did Lucas make this movie??? To see Anakin ride a big-butted Shaak (for crying out loud!) in order to woo Padme??? I mean: what the…

TPM sure got a lot better when ROTS came out. And AOTC a lot worse.

Personally I think Lucas made one serious mistake in the whole trilogy storytelling: trying to hide Sidious's identity. For the fanboys this was no secret at all. And for the non-SW viewers it was confusing what the heck was going on. Using the Palpatine-Sidious connection from the start (perhaps even opening TPM with Palpy-Sidious and Maul) would certainly have helped to make people understand what was going on PLUS it would have helped the suspense. In the OT there was never any doubt who was who and what they were after. Why try such a forced and not-working secrecy? Weird…

Old Post Dec 28th, 2013 04:55 PM
KyleAP

Hehehe… Well, I dunno. Honestly, it took me a while to get to grips with it. I thought TPM was so so at the time. AOTC seemed so promising with all the lines being set up (like Syfo Dyas, the Clone Army, Jango)… but in ROTS, which was the better of the three, I didn't get AOTC at all… Why did Lucas make this movie??? To see Anakin ride a big-butted Shaak (for crying out loud!) in order to woo Padme??? I mean: what the…

TPM sure got a lot better when ROTS came out. And AOTC a lot worse.

Personally I think Lucas made one serious mistake in the whole trilogy storytelling: trying to hide Sidious's identity. For the fanboys this was no secret at all. And for the non-SW viewers it was confusing what the heck was going on. Using the Palpatine-Sidious connection from the start (perhaps even opening TPM with Palpy-Sidious and Maul) would certainly have helped to make people understand what was going on PLUS it would have helped the suspense. In the OT there was never any doubt who was who and what they were after. Why try such a forced and not-working secrecy? Weird…

Come on, you know I'm right.

Phantom Menace so so and got better when Revenge of the Sith came out?
Ok, as much as I hate Attack of the Clones, Phantom Menace is narratively one of the worst films ever made. Nothing that happens in it makes a blind bit of sense, the story is boring and asinine, the dialogue is appaulling, directing is bad, acting is wooden, editing is two-dimensional and dull, Jar Jar Binks is the worst so-called "comedic" character ever to hit a cinema screen. Whilst there are some nice location shots, well made sets, good CGI in places, and a decent lightsaber duel at the end, it is overall a complete inchoerant mess. It was rubbish!

Attack of the clones was kinda worse because it was longer, and whilst the dialogue in phantom menace was incoherent, annoying (With Jar Jar) and boring, at least it wasnt cringe inducing like with the Anakin and Padme scenes. The basic narritive of Attack of the Clones was a bit better than Phantom Menace, but was terribly executed and became a mess. Rubbish!

Revenge of the Sith was the best of the prequels, but It only got interesting to watch for me after the Jedi massacre. The most important part of the narritive, Anakin turning into Darth Vader, was terribly executed, firstly it's not written or acted like his fear for Padme is completely believable, and he was tricked into becoming evil, not seduced by the Dark side. He just went along with a vague story Palpatine told him, and still turned to the dark side after Palaptine said "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together we can discover the secret", and anyone with half a brain would think "Er What? Wait? you dont know it now? You never said it was a secret. I've been tricked!" No, for no reason, other than that the plot requires him too, he just agrees to willynilly kill everyone Palpatine tells him to, even though to him it wouldn't logically make sense, proving by the end of the film that he was really just a dumb murderous psychopath who needs locked up. along with Padme dying after giving birth not matching up with that powerful scene in return of the Jedi, the Vader cringe inducing "NOOOOO!" most of the rest of the dialogue, the incoherence of the lead characters and overuse n over-cluttering of CGI it was still bad on the whole!

Old Post Dec 28th, 2013 06:50 PM
queeq
Chaos

When I said: TPM got better… I didn't mean it got good. I thought it was pretty horrible when it came out. AOTC seemed promising, but the fact that that movie became so obsolete with ROTS, TPM suddenly seemed to make some sense. Apart from the fact that it is still wooden, clumsy, has a boring storyline (tax evasion???) and the orst acting by Liam Neeson I have ever seen… it's not as bad as AOTC.

But I agree with you on ROTS as well. I think this movie was the best because the pacing of it is so much better than the clunky other two. It has better humor in it, it kinda rolls better. that helps getting through it. But I agree with you that again a) things happen because the script requires them to happen and b) the crucial scenes are screwed up.

Kinda funny in a way that Lucas does that in all of these films:

1. TPM: establish Anakin was "already a great pilot". What do we see: a kid that goes 'oops' a lot and by accident blows up a starship. But apart from that: Anakin does win the pod race by himself.
2. AOTC: Anakin and Padme fall in love - boring, wooden, unromantic, Anakin presents himself as an obsessive wanna-be Hitler and the so very democratic and liberty minded Padme falls for him… why? (and the Clone Army: I still don't get why we needed that silly detective story)
3. ROTS: the Fall of Anakin… well, nuff said. And why did the Emperor look so much better in ROTJ than he did in ROTS???

Old Post Dec 30th, 2013 11:15 AM
KyleAP

When I said: TPM got better… I didn't mean it got good. I thought it was pretty horrible when it came out. AOTC seemed promising, but the fact that that movie became so obsolete with ROTS, TPM suddenly seemed to make some sense. Apart from the fact that it is still wooden, clumsy, has a boring storyline (tax evasion???) and the orst acting by Liam Neeson I have ever seen… it's not as bad as AOTC.

But I agree with you on ROTS as well. I think this movie was the best because the pacing of it is so much better than the clunky other two. It has better humor in it, it kinda rolls better. that helps getting through it. But I agree with you that again a) things happen because the script requires them to happen and b) the crucial scenes are screwed up.

Kinda funny in a way that Lucas does that in all of these films:

1. TPM: establish Anakin was "already a great pilot". What do we see: a kid that goes 'oops' a lot and by accident blows up a starship. But apart from that: Anakin does win the pod race by himself.
2. AOTC: Anakin and Padme fall in love - boring, wooden, unromantic, Anakin presents himself as an obsessive wanna-be Hitler and the so very democratic and liberty minded Padme falls for him… why? (and the Clone Army: I still don't get why we needed that silly detective story)
3. ROTS: the Fall of Anakin… well, nuff said. And why did the Emperor look so much better in ROTJ than he did in ROTS???

Phantom menace had a certain innocence on me as a kid, but when I grew up I realised how bad it was and how almost every action and line of dialogue makes no sense. With regards to the development and overall saga story it's a pretty pointless film.
Lets think about it: the stuff in the prequels that is relevant content to the originals (yet, for the most part, was so awfully executed)
Phantom menace: obi-won meets anakin Skywalker. Yoda allows obi-won to train anakin as a Jedi at the end of the film. Palpatine elected chancellor.

Attack of the clones: the republic get a clone army that start the clone wars , jar jar giving palpatine the powers for him to eventually become emperor lol and anakin gets together with his future wife.

Revenge of the Sith: anakin becomes darth vader, Luke and leia are born, the Jedi massacre, and palpatine declares the formation of an empire.

The rest of the stuff in the prequels didn't really have much impact or mattered a great deal when you think about it, either that or, like with padme's death, they didn't match with the content in the original trilogy.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2014 02:45 PM
KyleAP

And all the story relevance stuff I mentioned covers about 10-15 minutes in total of what we saw in the prequels, and were either superfical, forced or rushed in execution.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2014 07:20 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yes, I agree. That is why I don't really get it? How can one fumble the ball on the crucial story elements?

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2014 09:31 AM
KyleAP

Yes, I agree. That is why I don't really get it? How can one fumble the ball on the crucial story elements?

well george lucas managed it, only he can answer your question fully.

But it touches on my point that the prequels were written and directed by an accountant, a business man, who's looking to superficially attract as many movie goers as possible, without going into the emotional depths and care of story and character.
That's also another reason why I think Attack of the Clones is the worst in the series, cause it looks like a cheaply made film.

But probably the worst thing about Attack of the Clones, is that (More than the other two prequels) it is written in complete reverse to the cinematic rule of "Show, don't tell". There's too many things we're expected to believe because we're told it's true, without emotionally connecting with it. It's what I said in an earlier thread about Anakin's relationships with Obi-Won and Padme. Basically George saying "I don't how to write real dialogue or characters relationships and development so you're just gonna have to take my word that it's true" and there's other elements with regards to the Politics, the Jedi, and the Sith, which are in the film that we're expected to know about without it being explained to us.
Sloppy, lazy, emotionless and rather patronizing writing.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2014 03:31 PM
KyleAP

I say probably the worst, but there's so many things massively wrong in the film that i'd end up making a huge list.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2014 04:19 PM
queeq
Chaos

Which'd be as long as the movie itself. hehehe

Old Post Jan 5th, 2014 12:12 PM
KyleAP

Which'd be as long as the movie itself. hehehe

Yeah, n Possibly longer lol

I stand by when I say that the only people who like this film are people who just like flashy colours n effects on the screen, lightsaber fanboys, or really young kids.

I think, If you're older than 10, to get through this film with any enjoyment you have to turn your brain off or take hallucinogenic substances, as well as fast forwarding past the Anakin and Padme dialogue scenes.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2014 10:26 AM
queeq
Chaos

I keep trying to figure out what's going on, what the taxation of trade routes is about and why the Trade Federation would block a planet from trading, and why a Trade Federation has a huge army, and what the treaty was about and why the treaty would benefit Palpatine, why Gunray keeps dealing with Sidous etc etc etc… I hope, when I see it again, I finally find the clues I need to unravel the mystery of George… wink

Old Post Jan 11th, 2014 03:19 PM