KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » The Amazing Spiderman (2012)

The Amazing Spiderman (2012)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by stickman618
but anything's got to be better than Raimi's random blob from space.

I didn't mind the space origin that they used for the 90's cartoon with some astronauts checking out a asteroid without them knowing Venom lives within it.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2012 12:59 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by stickman618
I think they might actually be setting up for Venom in future sequels. Though it might follow the Ultimate origin instead of Spidey going to space. The reason why I think this is because it shows Peter's dad involved in some kind of secret research, so they might even make changes to the Ultimate origin, but anything's got to be better than Raimi's random blob from space.

well peter got the black suit from secret wars originally so I can almost grantee he wont get it that way. lol

In spectacular spider-man eddie brocks dad and peters dad worked together in creating it. so that could be it you never know.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jun 19th, 2012 02:11 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

So far reviews are looking good. But not Spectacular. Most the ones I've seen have given it 4/5. But Empire has only given it 3.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2012 02:18 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

I've read some of the reviews. It seems most people are bashing the movie for stuff taken from the comics. Such as Spidey being a wisecracker, for example. I've been reading some reviews where they bashed that. A lot of reviews are even criticizing it for simply not being as good as Avengers or TDK. And I even came across a review that had BS like this in it:

"While Raimi got fanboys drooling with Kirsten Dunst in a rain-soaked vest top, Webb’s leading lady remains clothed and dry. Instead, the camera ogles Garfield, whose enviable glutes are showcased quite magnificently in his skin-tight bodysuit. Raimi’s films were for the teenage boys who used to dress up in Spider-Man pyjamas; Webb’s is for girls whose other halves may soon be dressing up in Spider-Man pyjamas for their benefit."

So just because there's no near-nudity for the guys to drool over, it's clearly aimed at the girls. Great logic right there (sarcasm).

Overall, I'm very hyped up for this movie. Based on what we've seen so far, they seem to have captured the Spider-Man comics perfectly. It seems to have everything a Spidey fan could ask for.

The cast seems great. The only problem is the age factor. While Andrew Garfield can pull off the look of a high school/college kid in this movie as well as in the next few sequels, will he still be able to pull off that young look by the time the franchise reaches the 4th, 5th, or 6th film? The guy is turning 30 next year. They might have to replace him after the 3rd or 4th film.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2012 08:28 PM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Lol I read that review as well.. I'm also really hyped for this movie. Can't wait now. I think critics liked S1 and comparing it to that. Whilst I wasn't too fond of S1, and am really looking forward to a more comic book Spidey smile

Old Post Jun 19th, 2012 09:23 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KCJ506

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
I've read some of the reviews. It seems most people are bashing the movie for stuff taken from the comics. Such as Spidey being a wisecracker, for example. I've been reading some reviews where they bashed that.

The majority of the people who complain about this, most likely only know Spider-man from the previous films. The comics and even the cartoons had him making wisecracks to his foes.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 02:17 AM
KCJ506 is currently offline Click here to Send KCJ506 a Private Message Find more posts by KCJ506 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ The wisecracks always made Spidey awsome. Something the Original flims really lacked.

But I think this will be a perfect balance, having a dark back story for him, but still making his wisecracks when he's out being Spidey.

Can't wait for this now.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 09:49 AM
Aquitaine

Originally posted by Kazenji
I didn't mind the space origin that they used for the 90's cartoon with some astronauts checking out a asteroid without them knowing Venom lives within it.

100% agree. Imagine that on screen! I thought the introduction of JJJ's son the astronaut in SPM2 set that up to be honest, but he just vanished in SPM3.

The astronauts discovering the lump of mineral rock (so and so many times more powerful than Uranium, but 100% clean on 'preliminary testing') in space, the goo attacking them and crashing onto the Hudson (?) bridge with cars flying off the bridge and teetering on the edge is a terrific intro.
If I remember correctly, the Kingpin and Smyth sent Rhino to retrieve the sample rock. That could have been a desperate on-the-run Sandman sent by Harry Osborne, after he is caught trying to break into Oscorp to find a cure he knows they have for his daughter. Harry wants to get revenge on Spidey with the new mineral's power.

...Right, my imagination is officially burnt out tonight, good night!

PS - Wisecracking rules! Spidey is a wisecracker. People who don't know the character wrote all the reviews. As for the pervert who wanted sexier screen gals in wet tops - grow up.

Last edited by Aquitaine on Jun 20th, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 12:35 PM
Aquitaine is currently offline Click here to Send Aquitaine a Private Message Find more posts by Aquitaine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

Anyone get the feeling the symbiote will be a cure for cancer in the reboot like in Ultimate instead of an alien like in the Amazing comics? The whole reboot seems to revolve around Peter looking for the truth behind his parents. Webb himself said this topic will continue in future sequels. Which means we will most likely get Ultimate Eddie Brock and the cure for cancer symbiote as opposed to classic Eddie Brock and the alien symbiote. Either that or we will get an alien symbiote that has been caught decades ago by NASA and Peter's parents have been studying to make a cure for cancer out of it before their deaths. But I find it unlikely they will go the space shuttle route.

However, I still think and hope that the symbiote acts like he did in Amazing and has the same properties. This meaning that it has a mind of its own, is weak to electromagnetic waves and fire, makes it user more aggresive and evil, etc. And I also hope that Eddie Brock, whether he will be based on his Ultimate or Amazing version, will still act like the Venom in Amazing and have a strong hatred for Spider-Man like in Amazing.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 09:46 PM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Yeah it won't just come from space in the movie. They've already done that (horrendously I know, but they can't just repeat stuff).

Also it might not be explored too much in the Spidey Movies. Maybe just referenced. They're setting it up for a Venom movie.

The cancer cure thing sounds the most likely considering these movies are supposed to be more in the "real world" than Ramais.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 09:19 AM
Aquitaine

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ Yeah it won't just come from space in the movie. They've already done that (horrendously I know, but they can't just repeat stuff).

Also it might not be explored too much in the Spidey Movies. Maybe just referenced. They're setting it up for a Venom movie.

The cancer cure thing sounds the most likely considering these movies are supposed to be more in the "real world" than Ramais.

The cancer suit thing is horrid. IMO anyway, I hated that when I read it. I felt the same about most things in Ultimate.
Better to be some bi-product of super soldier experiments - linking it somewhat to Cap and the Avengers.

I would still prefer it as being alien as per the previous post though.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 11:33 AM
Aquitaine is currently offline Click here to Send Aquitaine a Private Message Find more posts by Aquitaine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

^ they're not linking this movie to "the avengers" unfortunately

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 11:53 AM
stickman618 is currently offline Click here to Send stickman618 a Private Message Find more posts by stickman618 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ They can't yet. Sony and Marvel would have to establish some proper contract/agreement before anything like that can happen.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen by TAS2 or A2 for that matter. Perhaps by A3/TAS3 if we're lucky.

Originally posted by Aquitaine
The cancer suit thing is horrid. IMO anyway, I hated that when I read it. I felt the same about most things in Ultimate.

I'm actually not too bothered if it's from space or a sceince experiment as long as they give it a proper back story and not just some random meteor falling out of the sky Lol. And as long as Venom himself is done well.

But only problem I see with the space origin is it was only just done in the last movie. It would be too repetitive and too soon.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 12:35 PM
Aquitaine

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ They can't yet. Sony and Marvel would have to establish some proper contract/agreement before anything like that can happen.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen by TAS2 or A2 for that matter. Perhaps by A3/TAS3 if we're lucky.

I'm actually not too bothered if it's from space or a sceince experiment as long as they give it a proper back story and not just some random meteor falling out of the sky Lol. And as long as Venom himself is done well.

But only problem I see with the space origin is it was only just done in the last movie. It would be too repetitive and too soon.

Yes, I see what you mean, but Spidey's origin and conflicts have all been done before too, so why not that? Venom (when seperate from Brock) is after all an alien symbiote, even if his Secret War origin won't happen.
The villains have been killed off, reborn, rebooted, reimagined and reworked so many times in the books that every generation has a different version of the origins, but I would like to see that element kept at least true.
Doc Ock's origin in SPM2 was quite close to the comic as I remember it. I did miss that German accent all his animated versions have had though.

Last edited by Aquitaine on Jun 21st, 2012 at 01:52 PM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 01:49 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Aquitaine
Yes, I see what you mean, but Spidey's origin and conflicts have all been done before too, so why not that?

As far as I understand it's going to be a whole new take on Spidey's origin and Parker's conflicts/issues. It's not just going to be a repeat of S1.

That's the one thing about a reboot so soon, it has to be different, can't be too repetitive.

In fact I don't expect to see Dr. Octopus in this series at all. That's just my guess anyway.

So I'm expecting it to be a completely different take on Venom as well. Since they're planning a Venom spin-off I think we'll see more of his "anti-hero/ lethal protector" side than his pure Villanous side. Of course he'll still hate Spiderman though. That's a given.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 02:35 PM
spidermanrocks

Let's not jump to conclusions and assume that a Venom spinoff is even happening. I know it's been announced recently but we have to keep 2 things in mind:

1) Avi Arad is known for saying stuff like this. He has done this in the past too. There is a huge chance that he (and Marvel and Sony) is just trying to get a reaction out of us or to see what we think of the idea. They're done this in the past especially with X-Men.

2) Even if it's true and it's not just Avi Arad BS-ing us, judging from their plans for the Venom spinoff, there is a huge chance the idea will get rejected just like how other spinoffs in the past got rejected. They said they want to introduce Venom in the Venom spinoff and have the spinoff tie in with the Spidey reboot like how they tied in all the Marvel movies for the Avengers. Does this sound like a realistic decision? To introduce Venom without Spidey's involvement in a story at all and to still stay true to Venom's character? (which they have said they wanted to do.) Not really.

So let's not jump to conclusions yet and just assume the spinoff is happening. Most likely the idea will get canned or this is just Avi trying to get a reaction out of us again. And even if it's neither of these, chances are still pretty big that they will at least change their plans for the Venom spinoff and only do it after Venom is introduced in one of the future TASM sequels.

As for Venom/the symbiote being based on Ultimate, the problem that I've always had with Ultimate Venom/Ultimate Symbiote isn't that he was a cure for cancer; it's that he had no character. The symbiote was literally just another science experiment like the Goblin formula. And Ultimate Venom was just another Hulk ripoff created because Eddie wasn't careful while working with the experiment. I don't mind if the symbiote is not an alien as long as he still acts like Amazing. As long as he is evil, feeds on people's fears, anger, sorrow, doesn't like to get separated from its host, holds a grudge against Peter for rejecting it, etc, then I will be fine with him not being an alien. Same thing applies for Venom. As long as they portray Venom like Todd McFarlane's Venom and give him the same looks, powers, abilities, and personality traits he had in Amazing (as opposed to just being another Hulk ripoff that eats humans), then I don't see a problem with him not being alien in origin.

Last edited by spidermanrocks on Jun 21st, 2012 at 03:35 PM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 03:26 PM
spidermanrocks

Also, I might be in the minority here but I don't want to see Spidey being tied into the Avengers. Mainly because if Spidey shows up in the Avengers, the Avengers (or Nick Fury at least) will show up in one of the sequels to the Spidey reboot. Spidey works better by himself (at least in the movies) and I don't think it's a good idea to devote precious screen time to Nick Fury showing up in Peter's life inviting him to the Avengers. Spider-Man has a huge rogues gallery and supporting cast (the biggest one in Marvel after the X-Men) so there isn't much time to waste for non-Spidey related characters. I wouldn't mind Spidey joining and helping out the Avengers in A2 or A3 but I would have a problem with devoting half the movie to setting up Spidey for the Avengers sequels (which is what happened to Iron Man 2; half the stuff in that movie were setups to the Avengers when they could have spent their time developing the characters in Iron Man's world more).

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 03:42 PM
Darth Thor

^ Then to be honest I don't see Venom coming in TAS series. The only reason would be to link to a spin-off. But if it's just for the sake of having him as a villain, then I doubt that will happen any time soon. Simply because they've already used him. And just in the last movie as well.

The only villain I see from Ramai's trilogy showing up again is Green Goblin. It would be crazy not having Goblin in any Spidey series. And even he may have to wait until TAS3 to show up in full Goblin form.

As for the Avengers, I don't see why they have to make any link in TAS series to Avengers. Spidey could be in Avengers without it happening the other way around imo.

Yes your right IM2 was ruined basically being a 2hr Avengers promotion.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 03:55 PM
spidermanrocks

That's why if they do Venom, it will probably be after the third movie. Maybe in the 4th, 5th, or even 6th movie (if they ever reach that number without rebooting). I would personally bring in the symbiote right after Gwen Stacy's death. It would make perfect sense for Peter to be in a state of grief, sorrow, and anger and the symbiote can come in to feed on that. If they do that, that would be awesome big grin.

That's what I said too. I wouldn't have a problem with him being in Avengers as long as it doesn't happen the other way around.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 05:22 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
That's why if they do Venom, it will probably be after the third movie. Maybe in the 4th, 5th, or even 6th movie (if they ever reach that number without rebooting). I would personally bring in the symbiote right after Gwen Stacy's death. It would make perfect sense for Peter to be in a state of grief, sorrow, and anger and the symbiote can come in to feed on that. If they do that, that would be awesome big grin.

That's what I said too. I wouldn't have a problem with him being in Avengers as long as it doesn't happen the other way around.

thumb up

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2012 10:25 AM